• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "We just don't care what other companies are doing"

The controllers they are using now are clones of the dualshock.

Im looking at both wii u controllers right now, which one would that be?

Nothing except reality. It's becoming increasingly obvious that this isn't going to happen.

You'd be surprised at how many people are hyped for wii u after e3, more shit will be announced in august aswell, it's just unfortunate that wii u has went this long without any games, I get the feeling a lot of games were meant to come out earlier than they are.

Why?
Dude, you don't honestly believe the Wii U is doing fine, do you? It's not even doing okay.
I mean, yeah all this "omg where so unique we just dont give a fuck" sounds tough but their console is selling like shit, they need to shut their mouth and get to work.

Can I ask, how old were you in 1996?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ah ah, amazing, so much psychotic posts in this thread. Iwata is helping some dudes to externalize the hate.

There comes a point at which displays of hate and outrage become self-satirizing and no longer phase anyone.

Outrage at Nintendo and their business prospects may be beyond the hysteria event horizon at this point.

nintendo is a tradition.

as long as they continue to produce quality games, even if it's mario 6d world 10.

Nintendo is bit a like home cooking. You have it every day, and yet, if you don't, you would miss it.

I love this. Well said.

You say this as if no other company in the industry struggled with the transition to HD.

Something something, behind the curve, something something, should have learned from Sony and Microsoft's mistakes, something something, weak tech, something something, fire Iwata, something.

Jotaka

I think the big reason for Wii U "failure" is xbox. At end of day xbox and playstation is pretty much the same thing... I think if we have only playstation or xbox AND nintendo we would have much better experience as a gamer.

If playstation or xbox go under, leaving just one of them... the devs/publishers would give more attention to nintendo hardware.

In this day and age, how is Nintendo still considered this gleaming jewel of game innovation? They have been surpassed by loads of games that come out every year. If you stripped Mario from a Mario game and threw in a rabid squirrel instead I'm sure the reaction to the games would be one of ambivalence.

I look at Mario Kart 8 and then over to UFG's two Kart racing games that offer user created worlds and customization and I don't see Nintendo's innovation. I don't even see an equivalent amount of hard work.

Take Journey and its incredibly clever game design that doesn't require tool tips or tutorials and I think that that would be the sort of game Nintendo should have designed, and yet here it is from what amounts to an indie.

Why?
Dude, you don't honestly believe the Wii U is doing fine, do you? It's not even doing okay.
I mean, yeah all this "omg where so unique we just dont give a fuck" sounds tough but their console is selling like shit, they need to shut their mouth and get to work.
Hold the fuck up...
The Wii U is not doing fine right now, no shit. Do you think I need NPD to remind me I know what its doing. In no type of way am I going to make myself upset because of it. And I dont care what Iwata said, I have been saying this for a long time and I dont care how or who percieves it how ever they want. What the hell the Wii U is selling poorly what do you want it to sell well just so you can use it as some kinda forum ammo or somethin? Like I said some of yall got issues. "Shut their mouth and get to work.." Lol, as if Iwata cant talk he can say whatever the hell he wants to say what the hell you gonna do about it?

And not a single fuck was given by Iwata.

36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-JFoV.gif

You say this as if no other company in the industry struggled with the transition to HD.

True, they all did. The point is that by not getting HD development down years ago with everyone else, they aren't doing as well with it today. And the third-parties that already know how to do HD development also end up struggling because of how their system is set up (another direct result of not having an HD system years back).

Yeah, but Iwata said many times before the Wii's release he was against HD development. They had the opportunity to adapt to HD while the transition between Wii and WiiU. Didn't Miyamoto admitted they had to delay WiiU's games because they had difficulties to adapt to HD?

Amir0x

Banned
At this point they don't care about you either :(

Come on Nintendo start investing and expanding and taking risks again!

Dead Man

I see a trend in your posts.

Nintendo should keep this attitude, the day Nintendo will try to copy Sony, MS or whatever company that arises in the gamin field is the day Nintendo stops being Nintendo.

Nintendo shouldn't copy anyone, but they should certainly care what the competition is doing.

Ploid 3.0

Funny you say that...

Yeah, after seeing Bayonetta I was seriously considering wanting to play it. I just can't get a wiiu for Bayonetta though. I'm sure it will be a good game but I should play Bayonetta 1 again to scratch the itch. I haven't wanted a Mario and friends game for years.

DDsftak.jpg

A karting game, multiplayer 3d platformer, 2.5d platformer and Gamecube action adventure port are all completely suited to PS4 and Xbone's control systems and hardware.

Maybe not paying attention to the market you exist in is the reason you're gone in March, Mr Iwata.
your instantly point becomes mute if MK8 lets me draw erect phalluses all over my go-kart again

XenodudeX

Well I think the problem here is Nintendo is now struggling with HD development, while Sony and MS has already gotten past that.

I think they could of started expanding, hiring, and training for HD while they were making boatloads of money with the DS and Wii.

Sadist

He does care ofcourse, but he knows that Nintendo is vastly different compared to the other two. And I hope they stay different.

You'd be surprised at how many people are hyped for wii u after e3, more shit will be announced in august aswell, it's just unfortunate that wii u has went this long without any games, I get the feeling a lot of games were meant to come out earlier than they are.
Are you referring to the bi-monthly Nintendo Direct?

muteant

fixed per the suggestion above:

"We don't give two shits what those bitch-ass companies are doing or are trying to do, ya feel? Our M.O. is to do shit them other peeps ain't. We be servin' gamez that are strictly Nintendo joints, ni'uh.

"Soft' sells hard', G" he added. "Wii U gon blow up!"

jWMpRFFgx1nlp.jpg

It worked for Apple.
Nintendo is not Apple. I cannot help but roll my eyes whenever someone tries to draw parallels to Apple, iTunes, iPhone or iPad. And that being said, I highly doubt that Apple were not looking at what the competition was doing during their rise to dominance.

"It worked for Apple." is not a strategy.
Nintendo quietly announces their games without making a big stink. And they're good games. Even the people who claim to be disappointed by what they saw in Nintendo's showing admit that the games will be great, and even amazing.
Nintendo quietly announced their games and they look like good games, but several of them were delayed and a lot of them are slated for 2014, for a system that is tanking at retail now.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Good. Three consoles that are exactly the same does nothing for me.

That being said - most of the new Wii U titles probably won't be using the GamePad in interesting ways, save for W101. So, they kinda need to sell people on the GamePad like they did with the Wii Remote.

PhantomR

Banned
why do people get riled up by meaningless PR statements ?

Because GAF.

It's funny, he didn't even knock or disrespect anyone. He just said that Nintendo focuses on their products and strategy and not others. Pretty silly reaction a lot of people in this thread are exhibiting.

royalan

"We just don't care what other companies are doing."

The root of the problem. That's a cute thing to say when you're on top and leading the industry. But when you're behind in practically every facet of what's expected in the industry and your sales are reflecting that you just aren't connecting to what modern gamers (or the general audience) want, it's a naive as all get-out to think that ignoring your competitors is a good thing, and practically stupid to brag about that. It all but ENSURES your company will remain one step behind.

Stockholders need to step in and force a spring cleaning of the management, because Iwata & Co have really been giving me RIM/Blackberry vibes this week. Blatantly dismissive attitude in the face of their flagship device pulling in the worst numbers in the history of the company (which has been absorbing loses for the first time in its history) is not a good look. This is EXACTLY where RIM/Blackberry were before they completely plummeted and all hell broke loose.

I'm expecting Iwata to have a "We're being singled out because of our success" freak-out any day now.

Nor gameplay.

Which obviously renders the entire point useless I take it. I mean, seriously?

Face it, Minecraft should have been a Nintendo game. Or they should have rushed to Mojang and game them tons of cash to have it. It isn't like they haven't done that before with Tetris and Sim City among others. Where is the Nintendo that saw what Rare was doing with CGI and capitalized on that? Where in the Nintendo that went to North American and Euro developers to get N64 up and running with games?

Don't give me the HD development in hard BS. There are indies out there making HD games, there are eastern European devs out there making cutting edge visual incredible games like 4A with Metro Last Light, and CDP with Witcher. Nintendo are trying to say that they can't build HD titles? Come on.

How many CGI film productions do we see a year now, Like 10 feature length ones? How many high res CG TV shows get made a year, hundreds? The planet is filled with people who have the knowledge and knowhow to do near anything.

vctor182

Isn't it a little contradictory? I mean, he needs to care what other companies do in order to do stuff they (the other companies) are not doing/able to do.

gogogow

The root of the problem. That's a cute thing to say when you're on top and leading the industry. But when you're behind in practically every facet of what's expected in the industry and your sales are reflecting that you just aren't connecting to what modern gamers (or the general audience) want, it's a naive as all get-out to think that ignoring your competitors is a good thing, and practically stupid to brag about that. It all but ENSURES your company will remain one step behind......

Iwata didn't say that, for the third time, that's just the inaccurate thread title. Not sure why you quote the thread title and not the actual quote from Iwata in the article.

Coolwhip

Banned

The root of the problem. That's a cute thing to say when you're on top and leading the industry. But when you're behind in practically every facet of what's expected in the industry and your sales are reflecting that you just aren't connecting to what modern gamers (or the general audience) want, it's a naive as all get-out to think that ignoring your competitors is a good thing, and practically stupid to brag about that. It all but ENSURES your company will remain one step behind.

Stockholders need to step in and force a spring cleaning of the management, because Iwata & Co have really been giving me RIM/Blackberry vibes this week. Blatantly dismissive attitude in the face of their flagship device pulling in the worst numbers in the history of the company (which has been absorbing loses for the first time in its history) is not a good look. This is EXACTLY where RIM/Blackberry were before they completely plummeted and all hell broke loose.

I'm expecting Iwata to have a "We're being singled out because of our success" freak-out any day now.

So you're comparing two completely different companies with a completely different history based on what exactly?

GamerJM

Banned
Honestly, I don't really see this as a good or a bad thing. It's just a thing. A strategy like this has its positives and negatives, and IMO they're pretty even.

sd28821

I know they were, but was it enough? I fully support Nintendo, and I love my Wii U, but it doesn't mean I can't have questions and doubts.

but you did you agree with some one who said they weren't.

also i never said anything about not having questions and doubts

It's clear that Nintendo likes to do things their own way. In many cases, this is a bad thing. Nintendo is still lagging behind in certain aspects that Sony and Microsoft have standardized. In other instances, they do provide unique experiences. They banked on the Wii Remote and, unfortunately, the GamePad. I don't agree with the notion that Nintendo doesn't take risks. What they have been doing is pretty risky to me.

I do think they pay attention to the competition, but I also believe that they have their own priorities and methods to realize their vision.

Mondriaan

The part where he mentions that he knows that software sells hardware was kind of funny. Maybe Iwata needs to care more about what his company is doing.

Because GAF.

It's funny, he didn't even knock or disrespect anyone. He just said that Nintendo focuses on their products and strategy and not others. Pretty silly reaction a lot of people in this thread are exhibiting.

It happens EVERY TIME.

If you want some real laughs, look at that thread where Reggie says, "Make better games" or the other guy that says "We're not planning a price drop."

They're like vultures.

Scum

I'm surprise royalan hasn-
Oh wait. nevermind.

Because GAF.

Quiet, you. You're spoiling the fun. :p

Top Bottom