• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh, 4GB rather than the rumored 3GB - nice. So based on what you had revealed before, the new camera may be 1/2" rather than 1/2.3"? Personally I'm very hopeful they can put a xenon flash in it.

BTW, I recall a rumor from a while back saying Sony would be utilizing wireless charging tech in their mobiles this year. I wonder if either the Z2 or the next Ultra will have that built in.

No idea about wireless charging or if the new camera sensor is in, only that it is improved. No chance of a Xenon flash. I think everyone who wants one needs to get a Nokia (while they still do it) or just give up on the idea, it's not going to happen. Adds too much bulk for minimal gain. There are too few people who care enough about such a feature to spend resources on including it.

Guess that means I'm waiting till this phone is revealed before I decide what I'm upgrading to from my S3.

Was thinking of just getting a Z1s and doing the JUMP program to upgrade to the Z2, but I'm just gonna wait.

The Z2 is rumored to be revealed next month, with a release in the early summer right (hopefully)?

Not sure about the announcement, could be MWC in late Feb, but that would leave a big gap to the eventual global release in May and June for the US. It could have its own event in April I guess and Sony will ride out MWC on the just announced T2 Ultra and some tablets.

Dat RAM
Dat 20 MP
Dat battery

UNF

Make this the Nexus 5 2014, Googy.

How about a GPE!

does not seem a huge leap, unless they manage to make the phone smaller, like original Z or N5.
4gb of ram seems a bit of overkill to me (more ram is always good though)

Seems that next year is going to be a transition one for smartphones.

Same size package as the Z1 I think.

Sunny skinned down their lineup but now they are creeping back into the two too many territory

Nah, the active 2014 line up in full:

Z1/Z1s, T2 Ultra, E1, Z Ultra, Z1 Compact, M, L, C. The SP and ZR are almost discontinued products. The M is probably being replaced by the E1 and the L will most likely be replaced outright rather than taken forwards, my guess is that the L and SP line will merge and the ZR has been replaced by the Z1-C.

Also, I think the T2U is going to be very, very successful. Supposed to have a price of €399 in Europe and £329 in the UK, and will be sold in the US (D5306 LTE) for $399 offline and may make it to T-Mobile. The display is also something special. Sony have completely moved on from the old supply chain AIUI so no more dud screens. Combines a large screen in a manageable size with decent power for a lowish price. That is a decent recipe for success IMO.

Groof

Man, zomg reading that post is making me salivate like a hound. Hope Sony bring the big guns this year. Used to be a big Sony Ericsson fan, so they still hold a special place in my heart.

terrier

Same size package as the Z1 I think.

Well, if they manage to increase screen size and keep the same size, that will mean bezels are thinner the phone will be more atractive, unlike now, while doest look bad, it is not amongst the best looking flagships out there.

On the Z Ultra successor, I saw someone ask about it earlier.

The ZU has not been hugely successful, it has done okay, but not what they wanted, it barely made a dent in the Note 3.

The feedback is that it is too big, and that it needs to have a Wacom pen that integrates into the body. I think the T2U size is perfect, and we may see the Z2U go down to that size and gain a Wacom pen. The "any capacitive pen" input feature is noticeably absent from the T2U, mainly because no one uses it on the ZU.

What I would like to see:

6.1" Z2 Ultra QHD IPS screen with S805, 4GB RAM and Wacom.

7.9" Tablet Z2 Compact FHD screen

10.1" Tablet Z2 QHD screen

13.3" Tablet Z2 Ultra QFHD screen

What we'll probably get:

6.4" Z2 Ultra FHD IPS, S800AB, 2GB and no Wacom

6.4" Tablet Z1 Compact FHD S800, 2GB

10.1" Tablet Z1 QHD S800, 2GB

:(

Nicktendo86

The ZU has not been hugely successful, it has done okay, but not what they wanted, it barely made a dent in the Note 3.

The feedback is that it is too big, and that it needs to have a Wacom pen that integrates into the body. I think the T2U size is perfect, and we may see the Z2U go down to that size and gain a Wacom pen. The "any capacitive pen" input feature is noticeably absent from the T2U, mainly because no one uses it on the ZU.

What we'll probably get:

I saw someone holding a big Sony phone as I got off the tube last night, must have been the ZU. He was a big guy but man, it looked huuuuuge. The button on the side looked silly as well, I don't like the design of the Sony flagships at all :(

Gvaz

Banned
If you have a note 3 you have it.. Samsung started including it with all of their 4.3 software. I think you can see it from download mode. If you flashed a custom ROM it will say 0x1 or something like that and 0x0 if its never been tripped. Once tripped it voids your warranty.

Nope, not there.

Is there a way to make embedded video work on neogaf on android 4.2.2? Neither chrome or firefox work, and I get a strange glitch where if I scroll on the embedded video, the play icon scrolls up o_O

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sony's shit being successful has to be looked in relative turns.

You aren't gonna do Samsung WW numbers when you basically ignore North America.

If Sony wants to do those kind of numbers you gotta release on multiple major carriers in both Canada and the US in a timely fashion. As of now that shit doesn't happen.

Sony's shit being successful has to be looked in relative turns.

You aren't gonna do Samsung WW numbers when you basically ignore North America.

If Sony wants to do those kind of numbers you gotta release on multiple major carriers in both Canada and the US in a timely fashion. As of now that shit doesn't happen.
It's happening. Three carriers for the Z2. I got confirmation from a non-Sony source today that the Z2 is going to be the single global flagship and will come to T-Mobile US, Verizon Wireless and Sprint. Sony's first serious CDMA device.

The next step is to get the E1 into Wal-Mart and other big box stores as a cheap $150 prepaid phone.

Is there any pocket projector that works particularly well with Android phones? Ideally, I'd like one that I can stream videos to wirelessly, or with a micro USB (to HDMI?) cable, and that costs under 200 USD.

Thanks.

Mokubba

Now I know why the Z1s is so cheap on T-Mobile!

Xperia "Sirius"/Z2(?) is due out in late June in the US, will go head to head with GS5 on T-Mobile, VZW and Sprint. Sony and AT&T are still bitching at each other for some reason.

Spec rundown, take it with much salt for now:

5.2" 1080p/1440p IPS
4GB RAM
S805 @ 2.5GHz
32GB
MicroSD
20MP camera
~3500mAh battery

Hoping to get confirmation on these soon, and that it will be the only flagship from them for 2014.

Hnnng
Dream specs right there. I really hope there is a 1080p variant because I don't see the point of 1440p on a 5 inch phone.

What we'll probably get:

Releasing in America is definitely going in the right direction but like you've pointed out, they need to kick the tablet side of things into gear.

vivftp

No idea about wireless charging or if the new camera sensor is in, only that it is improved. No chance of a Xenon flash. I think everyone who wants one needs to get a Nokia (while they still do it) or just give up on the idea, it's not going to happen. Adds too much bulk for minimal gain. There are too few people who care enough about such a feature to spend resources on including it.

Awwe :(

Ah well, even without xenon flash this seems to be an amazing phone. So either this or the next Ultra will be mine whenever they hit Canada. Probably will be the Ultra so long as it's just a larger version of the Z2 with all the same features.

I know they probably won't/can't do it, but I would love for them to put that speaker from the E1 into a flagship phone. I know it probably won't be nearly as loud due to the waterproofing, but if they COULD manage to make a speaker that loud on a flagship, I'd be SO happy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Now I know why the Z1s is so cheap on T-Mobile!

Xperia "Sirius"/Z2(?) is due out in late June in the US, will go head to head with GS5 on T-Mobile, VZW and Sprint. Sony and AT&T are still bitching at each other for some reason.

Spec rundown, take it with much salt for now:

5.2" 1080p/1440p IPS
4GB RAM
S805 @ 2.5GHz
32GB
MicroSD
20MP camera
~3500mAh battery

Hoping to get confirmation on these soon, and that it will be the only flagship from them for 2014.
What, no way. Those are pie in the sky specs. Literally no improvements to be made. It's perfect. 1440P? Insane. I have my doubts but that would be amazing.

Everyone knows I complain about everything. But here, I have no complaints. This phone is exactly what we should have had eons ago. No compromises.

Oh, I will say that if there isn't a GPE, it's a waste.

Avtomat

There is to be a new camera module? One even better than their current 20MP one any idea on what improvements are planned.

vivftp

How did the Z1's camera fare anyway?

The camera itself seems quite good, but the launch software and jpeg processing was pretty average. Subsequent updates have improved things a bit, but from what I understand there is still supposed to be a much larger camera update to come with a new jpeg processing algorithm.

Hopefully the Z2 software will be perfectly tweaked upon release

tino

Banned
What, no way. Those are pie in the sky specs. Literally no improvements to be made. It's perfect. 1440P? Insane. I have my doubts but that would be amazing.

Everyone knows I complain about everything. But here, I have no complaints. This phone is exactly what we should have had eons ago. No compromises.

Look like evolution upgrade to me. It's Sony version of "LG G2". Unless it have noticeable better camera Z1 with $200 lower price is a better deal.

Hnnng
Dream specs right there. I really hope there is a 1080p variant because I don't see the point of 1440p on a 5 inch phone.

Releasing in America is definitely going in the right direction but like you've pointed out, they need to kick the tablet side of things into gear.

Yeah, US releases are the most important part of the new strategy for them. I would like to see more tablets because I think the Tablet Z is pretty much the perfect 10" Android tablet, and I really want to get the follow up and give my current one to my dad.

Awwe :(

Ah well, even without xenon flash this seems to be an amazing phone. So either this or the next Ultra will be mine whenever they hit Canada. Probably will be the Ultra so long as it's just a larger version of the Z2 with all the same features.

I know they probably won't/can't do it, but I would love for them to put that speaker from the E1 into a flagship phone. I know it probably won't be nearly as loud due to the waterproofing, but if they COULD manage to make a speaker that loud on a flagship, I'd be SO happy.

Xenon is too niche a feature, it isn't a big enough selling point. People who were banging on about Nokia's great camera in the 1020 outdoing the camera in the Z1 and it being a game changer for Nokia were wrong. The Z1 has done vastly more in terms of sales than the 1020 because it is a great phone all around rather than just an average phone with a great camera.

Well Sony are on the GPE train with the ZU, hopefully they stay on it with the next round. I think that may be the way onto AT&T for them, a 4G Z2 GPE that is compatible with AT&T LTE.

As for the specs, like I said, much salt for now. However, I believe Sony have seen that technical innovation as a driver of sales is now coming to an end for flagship smartphones, and now software innovation is going to be the driver. That's why they have steadily been building their suite of apps into actually decent additions to Android. It gives them a selling point over and above everyone else's phones once the spec war ends.

There is to be a new camera module? One even better than their current 20MP one any idea on what improvements are planned.

There is one in development, 20MP 1/2" BSI. No word yet on whether it will be in this year's or next year's flagship. There is also a respin of the current 1/2.3" sensor in the works which will improve low light performance in the same way the RX100 to RX100M2 low light performance improved with a respin of the same sensor.

How did the Z1's camera fare anyway?

Started out as one of the best on Android, but after a lot of tweaking and software changes it is pretty much the best Android has to offer. Not as good as the 1020 and definitely not as good as the 808.

A Sony device on Verizon is believe it when I see it territory.

Definitely agree with that sentiment, but I have it from an associate from SCA and from a non-Sony source. Evleaks also have the info. I think there is a good chance of it happening.

izOhEqo.png

Groof

The camera itself seems quite good, but the launch software and jpeg processing was pretty average. Subsequent updates have improved things a bit, but from what I understand there is still supposed to be a much larger camera update to come with a new jpeg processing algorithm.

Hopefully the Z2 software will be perfectly tweaked upon release

Started out as one of the best on Android, but after a lot of tweaking and software changes it is pretty much the best Android has to offer. Not as good as the 1020 and definitely not as good as the 808.

Hmm I see. Because you don't really hear much about the Z1, maybe that's due to me not paying good enough attention or because most media outlets I follow are American. I'll have to look up some samples.

jwk94

Can somebody tell me what exactly a factor reset does? I just reset my phone but all of my photos and local music was still there.

satam55

Banned
It's happening. Three carriers for the Z2. I got confirmation from a non-Sony source today that the Z2 is going to be the single global flagship and will come to T-Mobile US, Verizon Wireless and Sprint. Sony's first serious CDMA device.

What about AT&T?

The next step is to get the E1 into Wal-Mart and other big box stores as a cheap $150 prepaid phone.

The Moto G has better specs & is cheaper, ranging from $100 (Verizon) - $130 (Boost Mobile) for the 8GB version.

vivftp

With all these Xperia rumors kicking about, I have to hope Sony will finally bring back the IR blasters for the flagship models. I don't know how popular the feature was, but I'd love to have it in my phone.

catmincer

I am glad Sony are consolidating their brands a bit.

Seems e for low end, t for mid range and Z for high end.

Much better than before when it wasn't obvious if S, P or U was best or T vs V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom