• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyber

My contract is running out soon and it's time to start looking at a new phone. I've only used iPhone 3GS and 4S when it comes to smartphones and feel like it's finally time to experiment with something else.

I've been looking at the LG G2, Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5. All costs pretty much the same on the contract so the price isn't important here.

If I understand it right, only the Nexus comes with stock Android 4.4? Is it easy to just install that on the other phones (or even supported?), or is it still fucked up what phones get the latest version like it was when I last looked at getting a new phone? I would really prefer just the stock version since I don't like most of the crap they put in their phones.

I would prefer a phone with 32GB built-in memory and don't care about more space than that since it's more than enough. I've been just fine with 16GB on the iPhones, just wished I had a bit more space.

I've been looking at reviews on youtube and right now it's leaning towards the G2, but the custom stuff they have put on that phone isn't that great apparently. So if I can't easily get rid of that I don't know if I should just go with Nexus instead. But that one is supposedly a bit "cheaper" when it comes to build quality so it could hit that low price point.

Any help would be appreciated.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sprint's LG G Flex Is Now Up For Pre-Order @ $299

re-enact the banana phone for 2 yrs of your life:

nexusae0_SprintLGGFlex_thumb.png

http://www.sprint.com/landings/lg_gflex/index.html?ECID=vanity:lggflex

Is there any upcoming verizon phone to be excited about?

Well the Samsung S5 and Note 5. The LG G2 is also nice and the best thing next to the Nexus 5 since Verizon doesn't carry it. The Moto G is a so-so phone, it's meant to be budget and lacks 4G / LTE and it's a pre-paid only phone.

There's also the Sony Xperia Z2 though the release date hasn't been announced yet.

My contract is running out soon and it's time to start looking at a new phone. I've only used iPhone 3GS and 4S when it comes to smartphones and feel like it's finally time to experiment with something else.

I've been looking at the LG G2, Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5. All costs pretty much the same on the contract so the price isn't important here.

If I understand it right, only the Nexus comes with stock Android 4.4? Is it easy to just install that on the other phones (or even supported?), or is it still fucked up what phones get the latest version like it was when I last looked at getting a new phone? I would really prefer just the stock version since I don't like most of the crap they put in their phones.

I would prefer a phone with 32GB built-in memory and don't care about more space than that since it's more than enough. I've been just fine with 16GB on the iPhones, just wished I had a bit more space.

I've been looking at reviews on youtube and right now it's leaning towards the G2, but the custom stuff they have put on that phone isn't that great apparently. So if I can't easily get rid of that I don't know if I should just go with Nexus instead. But that one is supposedly a bit "cheaper" when it comes to build quality so it could hit that low price point.

Right, the Nexus 5 is stock android and get it's updates directly from Google. You can root and rom the LG G2 with 4.2, however it's supposed to get that at the end of January. You can also rom the S4 with 4.4 via Cyanogenmod 11 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRlvosdFJSM). If you're worried about the experience go with the Nexus 5 or LG G2 (rom'd). If you want more storage, go with the LG G2 or S4.

Hey guys, I want to buy a MP3 player with android on it
(I know smartphones are becoming more prevalent and are bound to replace MP3 players in the future)
, just like the Samsung Galaxy WiFi. I'd want one not too expensive and more importantly with a SD Card slot. Is there something like this ? (didn't find it on Amazon...). Thanks !

AndyD

aka andydumi

I have an LG G2 and I compared it to my friend's N5 and I still prefer the G2. Significantly bigger battery is a big plus, and otherwise it is virtually the same. Yes updates may be somewhat delayed, but nowadays Android is at the point where updates are not really revolutionary. And if you are willing to root/rom, then the delay is no longer a concern.

Honestly, the LG UI parts of the G2 are quite useful and well done despite what many say. This is coming from Touchwiz on my old S3, where it was ugly and bloated. And if looks are a worry, the xposed modules can let you do nearly anything you want with that.

Xyber

Right, the Nexus 5 is stock android and get it's updates directly from Google. You can root and rom the LG G2 with 4.2, however it's supposed to get that at the end of January. You can also room the S4 with 4.4 via Cyanogenmod 11 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRlvosdFJSM). If you're worried about the experience go with the Nexus 5 or LG G2 (rom'd). If you want more storage, go with the LG G2 or S4.

Alright, thanks. I think I have decided with the G2 then and just rom it.

I have an LG G2 and I compared it to my friend's N5 and I still prefer the G2. Significantly bigger battery is a big plus, and otherwise it is virtually the same. Yes updates may be somewhat delayed, but nowadays Android is at the point where updates are not really revolutionary. And if you are willing to root/rom, then the delay is no longer a concern.

Honestly, the LG UI parts of the G2 are quite useful and well done despite what many say. This is coming from Touchwiz on my old S3, where it was ugly and bloated. And if looks are a worry, the xposed modules can let you do nearly anything you want with that.

Might give their stuff a try for a while before I decide to rom it then and see how I like it.

(I know smartphones are becoming more prevalent and are bound to replace MP3 players in the future)
, just like the Samsung Galaxy WiFi. I'd want one not too expensive and more importantly with a SD Card slot. Is there something like this ? (didn't find it on Amazon...). Thanks !

I usually don't do stupid "mention the exact opposite" suggestions like this, but unless the device really has to run Android, I'd suggest the Nokia Lumia 520 for that purpose. It's available for $60 on the Microsoft Store (online), no contract and has a MicroSD slot for media. I'd say you'd get a really good experience for that price. Good enough for a music player, anyway.

it's cheaper to buy a prepaid phone than a dedicated mp3 player.

$20 @ Radio Shack right now for the Kyocera Event

Oops I forgot to precise that I live in Euroland

it's cheaper to buy a prepaid phone than a dedicated mp3 player.

$20 @ Radio Shack right now for the Kyocera Event

I usually don't do stupid "mention the exact opposite" suggestions like this, but unless the device really has to run Android, I'd suggest the Nokia Lumia 520 for that purpose. It's available for $60 on the Microsoft Store (online), no contract and has a MicroSD slot for media. I'd say you'd get a really good experience for that price. Good enough for a music player, anyway.
It's a shame because the Lumia 520 is like $172 around here. Oh well. Bottom line is it's better to actually buy a phone and use it as a MP3 player ?

CronoShot

What? You must have a faulty phone. Mine has never seen a crash or glitch in my past 8 weeks of use.

Zero app issues, no reboots, nothing.
I finally did a factory reset, and I don't seem to be having issues anymore. The reboot loop was apparently caused by the "Let Google search for Wi-Fi" setting. Turned that off and it stopped. Two apps that wouldn't load before work now, though Listen on Repeat still doesn't. Not a big deal I guess.

Having some problems with Google voice search today. Hotword detection (ok Google) doesn't seem to work, and even manually tapping the mic doesn't seem to work as it keeps telling me it failed to understand what I'm saying. Typing a query is still fine though.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I've cleared the app data and all the jazz just in case, but no dice.

Edit: Ha, just cleared the app's data one more time and now everything is working correctly again. Weird.

Android™

Sprint's LG G Flex Is Now Up For Pre-Order @ $299

re-enact the banana phone for 2 yrs of your life:

nexusae0_SprintLGGFlex_thumb.png

http://www.sprint.com/landings/lg_gflex/index.html?ECID=vanity:lggflex

I don't actually mind curved phones, and I read an article that described how they might actually improve screen glare a little bit.

However, I'm not a fan of the curvature in this phone. It seems like it wouldn't be comfortable to fit in my pocket. The Samsung one is curved length-wise so that the long sides are the ones that stick out which seems like it would "hug" your leg.

I don't actually mind curved phones, and I read an article that described how they might actually improve screen glare a little bit.

However, I'm not a fan of the curvature in this phone. It seems like it wouldn't be comfortable to fit in my pocket. The Samsung one is curved length-wise so that the long sides are the ones that stick out which seems like it would "hug" your leg.

put it in your pocket sideways

1upmuffin

This is probably a lame question, but am considering getting an Android tablet and want to know what is the best to buy right now.

I really like the Nexus 7 2013 but I read about people saying their Nexus 7 2012 got really slow after a year, and am worried that will happen with the 2013 as well.

The other option is Kindle HDX but I'd much rather have stock android than Fire OS.

Those are the ones I'm considering because they are around the same price and both have higher resolution screens. The Tegra Note 7 looks nice, but I'd rather have a better screen than a faster processor.

Are either of these good purchases now, or will they be outdated once the 2014 tablets start coming out? I'm upgrading from a Pocket Edge with 800 by 600 resolution which is awful for reading PDF's and could use an upgrade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah, agree with others. Buy a phone.

Threi

notag
So text in Chrome changed? Everything looks so small now.
Its not that everything is small now, its that Chrome finally put text scaling where it should be. It was way too big on this browser (use any other browser that has proper text scaling and it would seem smaller as well)

Also the 2012 N7 is fine. It isn't nearly as sluggish as people make it out to be. That being said, fstrim doesn't seem to run enough, even on 4.3, and for anyone who still has it i'd still suggest to run this every couple weeks.

Ugh. Switched from ATT to TMobile with plans to get the Nexus 5. They ordered it for me yesterday and I received an update today that its backordered. I need a phone much sooner than that.

Considering I'll most likely replace this phone in 6 months (JUMP program), what would be a good stopgap 'til then?

LG G2
Xperia Z (Z1S?) - leaning towards this one
Galaxy S4
HTC One

Help me out Android GAF.

mclem

Looks like my Contacts list is in some way corrupted, and I can't get into Settings (see upthread) to fix it. Getting closer and closer to a factory reset, I think.

Ensirius

It's been three days since I got the Moto G, and coming from an S3, I gotta say my experience has been subpar.

Pros

- Size: The phone is more manageable than the S3
- Stock Android: Kitkat 4.4.2 is smooth as butter. Coupled with Nova Launcher this thing flies
- Build Quality: I'm surprised by the look and feel of the phone on that price range
- Battery Life: I can get two days worth of medium usage on this thing. It's optimized.

Cons

- Camera: This thing is just awful. Coming from the S3, and I see the huge gap between the two
- Screen: It is only 2 inches smaller than the S3, and that coupled with on screen buttons makes things look tiny compared to the galaxy. This is a huge bummer personally. And I found typing to be a lot less enjoyable on this phone, both with Swiftkey keyboard. I feel it is just not at responsive and the smaller screen makes it a little tougher to hit those keys.
- Features: This phone is as barebones as you are gonna get with a phone. Stock Android, google apps, done. There is just a couple of things Motorola added here and there (custom camera, auto silence mode for sleep and meetings...) and that's it.

I'm not sure how I'll last on this phone. I can see how people appreciate the core, unadulterated Google experience that comes together perfectly. The fact is, I've been accostumed to high end phones for the past few years (iPhones, S3) and the jump from those to this is noticeable. And you cannot ask a 200 phone to perform or feature the same as a 600 phone. I might just need that little extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom