• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

The feature OF the app, I guess I should say.

I mean, some apps don't support SD cards at all. Why would Gameloft go out of their way to support it, but have it only work with such a tiny portion of the app?
Google deprecated SD storage on Android, which makes sense. Could lead to a bunch of headaches from dumb users if data was split across the native drive and the SD card.

Doopliss

I'm a little confused. The Note 3 is my first Android phone with an SD card.

So I'm trying to move Asphault 8 over to the SD card. The phone only lists about 23 MB worth of internal storage space being taken up by it (1.6 GB is showing as an SD Card App), but I know the entire game is on the phone, because I can take the SD card out and still play it. Selecting "Move to SD Card" only moves like 20MB worth of stuff over, and now I can't play it without the SD card.

I have no idea what's going on.
I think Samsung labels their internal media storage partition as an SD card. So with an actual SD card inserted it considers there to be 2 SD cards present. I forget why they do this.

kehs

Banned
I think Samsung labels their internal media storage partition as an SD card. So with an actual SD card inserted it considers there to be 2 SD cards present. I forget why they do this.

Cause google changed the internal/external setup for sd cards around gingerbread.

google dgaf about legacy

Cause google changed the internal/external setup for sd cards around gingerbread.

google dgaf about legacy

the problem is Google cared too much about legacy. they should have nuked the entire sdcard remapping scheme in AOSP from orbit and broken compatibility for apps that didn't update and left it solely for media instead of doing things the nice way. this is another 'menu button' debacle, though they finally dealt with that in 4.4 so who knows, bring on Android 4.5/5.0 Lemonhead/Laffy Taffy

Gvaz

Banned
I would prefer they'd install apps straight to the SD card like you can with programs/games on pretty much every operating system ever. The whole fucking reason I get an SD card is so that the internal storage isn't taken up.

Talon

the problem is Google cared too much about legacy. they should have nuked the entire sdcard remapping scheme in AOSP from orbit and broken compatibility for apps that didn't update and left it solely for media instead of doing things the nice way. this is another 'menu button' debacle, though they finally dealt with that in 4.4 so who knows, bring on Android 4.5/5.0 Lemonhead/Laffy Taffy
Mmm...I'm going with Lemonhead.

Kiraly

I have the money right here, awaiting to buy the Z1 Compact as my next phone.

What about y'all GAF?

My smartphone history started with the HTC Desire which was a class-act.

Bought a HTC One S afterwards, got stolen after a month of use. Got back to my Desire for like half a year before I made up my mind which phone to buy. Imported an Xiaomi Mi2, was DOA and had to return it. Two months later I finally had a new phone, and I loved it. It was powerful, handy, looked gorgeous as fuck with a marine blue back cover and I liked MIUI and the weekly updates. Maybe used it for a month and a half before I dropped it in the club and the screen broke. Was so fed up with going back to my Desire, I bought a Xperia L the next day because it was cheap and I did not feel like paying too much for a new phone. It is an okay phone. I like Sony. Hope the Z1 Compact will be solid, I'm hoping to use it for a year or two.

What the hell happened to album art on Play Music?

It doesn't pan around like it used to and now all my album art turned to some low-res mess even though I have high-res artwork embedded to my MP3s. God damnit Google.

Also:

33-315x560.jpg
http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/01/2...e-xperia-kitkat-ui-for-the-sony-d6503-sirius/

looooooooooool

kehs

Banned
Goddamn, Sony have the best skin of Android and now they add that shit. Hopefully it is removable.

Companies should make the google now slide in customizable.

I would love to be able to launch different apps the same way I launch Now. I know some roms have it, but lol romcity.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So, I'm getting a job phone from my employer and I can choose between the iPhone 5C, the iPhone 5S, the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (which still hasn't been released) and the Samsung Galaxy S4+. The iPhones aren't all that interesting to me, so it'll be between the GS4+ and the Z1 C. Which one would you recommend? I'm leaning towards the Z1 C, but the GS4+ looks mighty fine too..

Groof

So, I'm getting a job phone from my employer and I can choose between the iPhone 5C, the iPhone 5S, the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (which still hasn't been released) and the Samsung Galaxy S4+. The iPhones aren't all that interesting to me, so it'll be between the GS4+ and the Z1 C. Which one would you recommend? I'm leaning towards the Z1 C, but the GS4+ looks mighty fine too..

Look at The Verge link above. Is the S4 still enticing to you?

Groof

That's the S5. And the S4 is still more enticing than the iPhones, at least.

I think some of that will at least trickle down to it.

Though honestly, the S4 as a device is quite good. Spec-wise the Z1 compact is a bit stronger though. Personally I'd go for the Z1c because it's more compelling personally, but if you want a bigger phone with a higher res display, then S4 might be for you.

Combichristoffersen

I think some of that will at least trickle down to it.

Though honestly, the S4 as a device is quite good. Spec-wise the Z1 compact is a bit stronger though. Personally I'd go for the Z1c because it's more compelling personally, but if you want a bigger phone with a higher res display, then S4 might be for you.

Yeah, the S4 has the bigger screen while the Z1c has the better specs (plus better camera). I don't know how Sony are about updating Android on their phones these days, when I last had a Sony Ericsson Android phone they were, IIRC, still releasing new phones running 2.1 while others were moving away from 2.3 already.

Kiraly

Z1C should be out by the end of January. GS4 is a good device, but if you're content with a 4.3" screen I'd definitely choose the Z1C. The GS4 has a bigger screen going for it, the rest is arguably better on the Z1C.

Edit: Sony's update record is getting better and better.

No more touchwiz??? There's really nothing wrong with it if it had updated icons and ran smoother. I'm using a google edition rom with nova launcher on my s4, but I do miss the camera from Touchwiz.

Combichristoffersen

Z1C should be out by the end of January. GS4 is a good device, but if you're content with a 4.3" screen I'd definitely choose the Z1C. The GS4 has a bigger screen going for it, the rest is arguably better on the Z1C.

Edit: Sony's update record is getting better and better.

I'm currently on a crummy old Galaxy SII, so I'd be fine with a 4.3" screen. There's one thing the GS4+ seems to have that I guess the Z1c doesn't offer; the option to use both cameras at once. I like that feature.

Android 4.4.2 for Xperia Z series and Xperia SP is in phase one testing. Roll out is pencilled in for March to April. Xperia Z1/Z1s/Z1c are first in line then it will be as they get to a stable build. The Xperia "Sirius" will launch with 4.4.2 and the T2 Ultra has a good chance of receiving it within weeks of launching rather than months because it has it's own hardware board and a separate team working on it.

Huge UI overhaul which leaked today. Loads of new "features", but they are heading into Sonywiz territory IMO, not sure I like the look of it so far. I'll reserve full judgement until it arrives though I guess. Maybe the features are useful. :/

Nexus 5 or Note 2? What would you guys choose?

Used to have a Note 2, loved it. Loved how big the screen was. But the Nexus is a bit cheaper, also a somewhat smaller screen is probably a good thing for me.

Avtomat

Android 4.4.2 for Xperia Z series and Xperia SP is in phase one testing. Roll out is pencilled in for March to April. Xperia Z1/Z1s/Z1c are first in line then it will be as they get to a stable build. The Xperia "Sirius" will launch with 4.4.2 and the T2 Ultra has a good chance of receiving it within weeks of launching rather than months because it has it's own hardware board and a separate team working on it.

Huge UI overhaul which leaked today. Loads of new "features", but they are heading into Sonywiz territory IMO, not sure I like the look of it so far. I'll reserve full judgement until it arrives though I guess. Maybe the features are useful. :/

Thanks for all the info buddy, forgot to thank you earlier.

Does anyone know of an app or a ROM which enables zoom on text selection, like the magnifying glass which comes up on my xperia z tablet as I move the text selection cursor. I think iPhone's do it as well.

Anecdote: my Galaxy Nexus is not holding up as badly as I thought and I have been putting off upgrading just waiting for MWC. So weird before I got back into ROM city I could not wait.

Fjolle

I'm pretty new to this.. Got me a Moto G this weekend, coming from a Lumia 800.

Am I understanding correctly that there is no way of syncing your facebook contacts? The only thing I've found so far is apps that adds a facebook picture to your existing contacts.

PriitV

I'm pretty new to this.. Got me a Moto G this weekend, coming from a Lumia 800.

Am I understanding correctly that there is no way of syncing your facebook contacts? The only thing I've found so far is apps that adds a facebook picture to your existing contacts.
I use HaxSync to pull my facebook contacts and merge them with my Google contacts, I've been using it so long that I can't even remember if Facebook app itself does pull contacts or not.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mots.haxsync

Fjolle

That link gives me a 404.. Looks like the developer has bailed.

Also from what I've read it can't get any emails or phone numbers from facebook. How is that not standard in a smartphone OS in 2014?

PriitV

That link gives me a 404.. Looks like the developer has bailed.

Also from what I've read it can't get any emails or phone numbers from facebook. How is that not standard in a smartphone OS in 2014?

Uh? The link I gave was straight from Google Play and as of right now it's still up there.
Also, where did you get your information? I can attest that if you give permissions to this app it can get phone numbers from facebook.

Fjolle

Uh? The link I gave was straight from Google Play and as of right now it's still up there.
Also, where did you get your information? I can attest that if you give permissions to this app it can get phone numbers from facebook.

ZMyPVub.png

And since the play site is down (for me) i found a FAQ somewhere else that stated:

"Can HaxSync synchronize email addresses and phone numbers from Facebook?

Unfortunately, this is not possible, as Facebook does not allow 3rd-Party-Apps (such as HaxSync) to access your friend's personal data."

PriitV

Alright, if the FAQ says that then I must be mistaken, sorry. Have you tried syncing with the real facebook app? I know that somehow I have all of the facebook contacts phone numbers on my phone (after losing my data I did get all the numbers back somehow before I started using google contacts).

Fjolle

That's weird. Maybe it's because you already have it installed.

I might just be retarded. I can't find anything in the facebook app or in synchronization settings. Maybe it has been disabled recently?

Groof

Weird, I've haxsync installed, but I can't access the link either. Nor can I find it in the store. Gone from my apps list too. Maybe the dev region locked it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom