• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
it was a joke. just how since it's the 7th game and it ends in n7

t22H3Q3.gif

Weebos

Banned
I don't know. Whichever ones were posted ITT. They worked perfectly for me and seemingly most of the web. Not sure if it was a different one then you're talking about though. I'm at work and can't pull up the files.

Anybody know which ones these are? I tried searching the thread and came up with nothing.

Weebos

Banned
Sorry the dlc was so expensive but what did you get?

Citadel, Shadow Broker, From Ashes, Leviathan, Kasumi, and some random costumes/guns.

I've been holding out on a trilogy release or XB1 backwards compatibility, but the DLC on PC is still cheaper than an XB1 so I bit the bullet.

I still might pick up Arrival, but I've played it enough times and I don't find it very compelling.

Overlord and Omega are the same, but they're pretty much side stories.

EDIT: Apparently I also picked up Arrival, so just missing Overlord and Omega.

that is a neat option as well and can also be achieved on the Ps4 for those who also own a vita =]
Indeed, as long as the latency isn't too bad, same with Nvidea shield "handheld" owners. Neither will get the control scheme, though. Not enough adoption to warrant the investment.
Same also goes for Nintendo as well, lol. Its why we never got the trilogy on Wii U. Had the console sold well, $ should have driven a decision to port. Sadly, I don't think we will see the best Mass Effect control scheme again unless 4 miraculously hits the NX and the NX happens to have a gamepad, and the port team takes the extra time to implement good use of the screen...
so, no, it's not happening.

Ghandi

Banned
So I dropped $60 on PC DLC last night.

I didn't even get all of it.

A definitive pc edition is so much needed. Both for me2 and 3

I played through me3 some time ago, extented cut, synthesis ending. And i really liked it. It was crazy, cool, and by my definition a real happy ending. (Heard a lot of bad stuff beforehand, so my low expectations were easily succeeded) But it was after most of my mates played it already, and because of that I didnt talked much about it. I finished it, laid it aside and had fond memorys of it ever since.

Anyhow:
So I discovered today the incredible well done "indoctrination theory", and my socks got blown off in an instant.
I thought: Damn it, they did SOME REALLY BAD FIDDELING WITH ME.
I played through all 3 games, most of the dlc, thought i did the right thing,(saving the galaxy) but what i did, was selling all the butts(including you liara, aka best waifu 4eva ;_;) of all my beloved space people.
But after watching 2 more videos i calmed down a bit, but was also pretty confused, by the fact, that bioware pretty much debunked(not totally, but yeah) the IT with the release of the extened cut, wich was also the version i played.

So on the one hand: I probably didnt commit galaxy genocide, but on the other: this really cool theroy got just waved off by the devs like that...
This was a really intense youtube browsing evening, my poor heart.

Suggestion for Andromeda: leviathan as playable race.

you know, after going back and watching ign's review of Me1 again, I can tell how much more Me1 was of an rpg with action-shooter elements, and how it became less of the former, overtime (more of an action-shooter with rpg elements) from Me2 and on.
Indeed, as long as the latency isn't too bad, same with Nvidea shield "handheld" owners. Neither will get the control scheme, though. Not enough adoption to warrant the investment.
Same also goes for Nintendo as well, lol. Its why we never got the trilogy on Wii U. Had the console sold well, $ should have driven a decision to port. Sadly, I don't think we will see the best Mass Effect control scheme again unless 4 miraculously hits the NX and the NX happens to have a gamepad, and the port team takes the extra time to implement good use of the screen...
so, no, it's not happening.
well, there is a latency i can tell you that for sure and the fact that it's there can be annoying, and bad for the experience. i say this as someone who does it/uses it fairly often.

diaspora

you know, after going back and watching ign's review of Me1 again, I can tell how much more Me1 was of an rpg with action-shooter elements, and how it became less of the former, overtime (more of an action-shooter with rpg elements) from Me2 and on.

well, there is a latency i can tell you that for sure and the fact that it's there can be annoying, and bad for the experience. i say this as someone who does it/uses it fairly often.
It's the opposite, it became more of an RPG over time. It went from a terrible shooter with stats to an actual RPG with shooting elements.

It's the opposite, it became more of an RPG over time. It went from a terrible shooter with stats to an actual RPG with shooting elements.
Me1 looks and feels much more like an RPG than Me2. and Me3, even if it brought back good RPG elements, also had a lot in it that was antithetical to being an RPG and also placed the most emphasis on the action-shooter aspect.

diaspora

Me1 looks and feels much more like an RPG than Me2. and Me3, even if it brought back good RPG elements, also had a lot in it that was antithetical to being an RPG and also placed the most emphasis on the action-shooter aspect.

ME1 feels nothing like an actual RPG. It's like they took a shooter, crippled the controls and added nodes that for about 80-90% of the time did nothing. ME3 did RPG mechanics objectively better with branching skill sets as well as offering a cooldown-weapon dynamic that essentially let you build mages and tanks.

Maledict

I've never understood what RPG meant when it came to ME1. No-ones ever been able to explain it to me, because from my position ME2 is clearly more of a role playing game. ME2 has a far greater focus on character stories and interactions, it has multiple completely non-combat missions and it has one of the best end sequences in a game ever that actually let me use my full team and rewarded me based on how well I knew them and how much time I had invested in them as characters. All of that is role playing to me - but for some reason the fact ME1 had endless random, pointless loot makes it more RPGish?

i feel like you and I have been through this before. from popular opinion even here on GAF if i'm not mistaken, Me1 very much feels like a real RPG.
Janky?

Kind of kidding, but seriously... It had loot and armor for your whole squad, some power upgrades, and that's about it. ...unless you are referring to aesthetics alone? It has that early WRPG look to it, but that doesn't mean it has more RPG elements. Did it have more saving throws, crits, etc going on behind the scenes?

Janky?

Kind of kidding, but seriously... It had loot and armor for your whole squad, some power upgrades, and that's about it. ...unless you are referring to aesthetics alone? It has that early WRPG look to it, but that doesn't mean it has more RPG elements. Did it have more saving throws, crits, etc going on behind the scenes?
i don't know. I got to play it only once since it took 5 damned years to arrive on Ps3, but I guess it's what I've gathered largely from what others have said about in comparison to other ME games, or maybe just Me2 in particular.

Ralemont

not me
ME1's combat shares some similarities with traditional CRPGs that the sequels don't: reliance on % based hit chance for example, which was completely eliminated starting with ME2 (guns have recoil and spray like they do in real life, but it isn't random). Totally unbalanced skill trees being another (I had to work in some snark somewhere).

It also features undirected exploration to a much larger extent, which hearkens back to game structures like Baldur's Gate I.

ME2 is definitely streamlined a bit too much, but ME3 is superior to ME1 in offering meaningful build progression and variance and superior to ME2 in action mechanics. It's the pinnacle of ME combat...until Andromeda comes out. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As with this debate each and every time, and every similar debate, "is/isn't an RPG" is meaningless until you're able to define and articulate what a "role playing game" is and associate those definitions to each of the Mass Effect games. I think I get what people mean whey they say "Mass Effect is more of an RPG", I just don't agree with their terminology.

Regardless of how you classify it, what I miss from the subsequent two games is the original's more liberal use of agency driven downtime, seamlessly connectivity between game states and interactivity, and empty space that is playable if useless. That uselessness a negative point for some (and fairly so), but a positive to me.

Most of those qualities are not inherently exclusive or even defining to "role playing games" though, which is why I'm apprehensive to use the term. I mean, a clear example is the first point; I loved in Mass Effect how landing on a planet, talking to NPCs, exploring the outskirts, shooting dudes, completing mission objectives, backtracking, then returning to the Normandy seamlessly flowed together without the game locking me into a particular mission arc or gameplay state or location (something the sequels do routinely). This is common in RPGs. But it's also common in action games too, and something I prefer in almost all of those.

And that's really what I want to see a return to in Andromeda. I want to be on my new ship reading my quest journal, fly to a planet, land on the surface, begin exploring to meet my objective, get caught up in firefights, talk to some folk, and then return. All the while never feeling like I *started* a mission or got locked into an area. That's what I really love about the first game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Lets play "Fearless N7 Day Predictions"

What do you expect at N7 day?

Honestly, I expect nothing more than concept art if anything.

I would of course be pleased if EA confirmed that a remaster of the ME trilogy was coming, but I am not holding my breath.

Gameplay footage from ME:A and some story tidbits would also be wonderful, but I am not holding my breath.

Patryn

Lets play "Fearless N7 Day Predictions"

What do you expect at N7 day?

Honestly, I expect nothing more than concept art if anything.

I would of course be pleased if EA confirmed that a remaster of the ME trilogy was coming, but I am not holding my breath.

Gameplay footage from ME:A and some story tidbits would also be wonderful, but I am not holding my breath.

Definitely some concept art. I'm guessing maybe some vague hints of some squad members.

Possibly a short trailer with non-gameplay footage?

If anything gets unveiled, I'm guessing it'd be some new mobile app.

Honestly, this will probably be one last celebration of the old trilogy. Next N7 day will be full-on press for Mass Effect: Andromeda, trying to help appease the audience after the August/September announcement that it's being pushed back to Q1 2017.

I'd be so happy if they announced a remastered trilogy on N7 Day. PC release with all DLC, controller support, high resolution textures. But I know it won't happen.

DOWN

Banned
In before a blog post announcing the whole Mass Effect trilogy is coming to PS4 and Xbox One via PSNow and backwards compatibility

Patryn

In before a blog post announcing the whole Mass Effect trilogy is coming to PS4 and Xbox One via PSNow and backwards compatibility

This is realistic.

I could definitely see them announcing that ME2 and ME3 are joining the backward compatibility program for XBox.

Garlador

Another day, another dream of a remastered Mass Effect Trilogy.

Just remotely on topic, you know what the actual one thing is that I want from a remastered trilogy more than any other (apart from ALL content)? No, not better framerates. No, not 1080p. No, not controller support for PC.

Better hair.

Modders have done some good work, but while skin-shaders, lightning, and textures all improved with every release, Mass Effect's whole trilogy suffered a lot from "plastic hair helmets" like bizarro LEGO people.

Keep the same hair styles if they want, but surely there's a shader out there that could turn them from "shiny, glossy rubber" into something actually resembling hair.

Patryn

Just remotely on topic, you know what the actual one thing is that I want from a remastered trilogy more than any other (apart from ALL content)? No, not better framerates. No, not 1080p. No, not controller support for PC.

Better hair.

Modders have done some good work, but while skin-shaders, lightning, and textures all improved with every release, Mass Effect's whole trilogy suffered a lot from "plastic hair helmets" like bizarro LEGO people.

Keep the same hair styles if they want, but surely there's a shader out there that could turn them from "shiny, glossy rubber" into something actually resembling hair.

God, yes, I want better hair.

I'm especially worried about Andromeda, because the hair choices in Inquisition were fucking HORRIBLE. There were only about 3 decent male choices.

Garlador

God, yes, I want better hair.

I'm especially worried about Andromeda, because the hair choices in Inquisition were fucking HORRIBLE. There were only about 3 decent male choices.

Yeah, early Inquistion hair was...

Even with the shiny bug fixed, it's still not much better.

I'm baffled Bioware can do such great work with aliens, monsters, dragons, and otherworldly creatures, yet their Achille's heel visually is always hair. I, too, am fearful about Andromeda's hair options.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, early Inquistion hair was...

Even with the shiny bug fixed, it's still not much better.

I'm baffled Bioware can do such great work with aliens, monsters, dragons, and otherworldly creatures, yet their Achille's heel visually is always hair. I, too, am fearful about Andromeda's hair options.

Damn, that's a lot of hair's gel.

I think it's the engines they use, although it helps that anything that isn't human is easier to make photorealistic than humans, because you don't need to work as hard at nailing the texturing and lighting.

Lucreto

The lazy approach I expect to happen.

Or if EA are being particularly dickish.

A Mass Effect Trilogy Complete Edition exclusive to PC and PS4, containing all DLC for all games.

Mass Effect Trilogy backwards compatible on Xbox One with all Dlc for $9.99

diaspora

The lazy approach I expect to happen.

Or if EA are being particularly dickish.

A Mass Effect Trilogy Complete Edition exclusive to PC and PS4, containing all DLC for all games.

Mass Effect Trilogy backwards compatible on Xbox One with all Dlc for $9.99
Realistic approach is nothing coming.

Better hair.

that first shepard kinda looks like a doll but they all look great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom