• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiktaalik

My first initial thought upon seeing the controller: WTF NINTENDO SCREWED. But after reading the 1up article about the demos and thinking about it for a little, it's ok. One thing is for certain, is that there's no way I'm getting just a Revolution, but I never really thought I would anyway. Hopefully the system ends up being $199. The big thing is, is that it's like the N64 controller in the sense that it's totally designed for a specific thing, and some genres are screwed. There's no way to play Street Fighter on this pad, but it could be the best FPS controller ever.

I think that like the DS, developers will really have to just come up with entirely new concepts for games. New genres even. No one would have ever thought about Kirby Canvas Curse for a console, but it got made on the DS, and it was awesome. Hopefully much the same happens on the Revolution (not official name anymore?). I think there could be some incredibly awesome games for this, but like the DS, I think western 3rd parties are not going to "get" it. Nintendo may have completely locked themselves out of North America, but I have a feeling that like the DS, this could be big in Japan.

Also, will this be the lightgun fan's dream console?

Redbeard

Banned
Drensch said:
Dual wielding could be crazy as fuck with 2 of these. Independent targets with each weapon.

And how would you move around? You need to be holding the analog attatchment in the other hand.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just got here to see this. Sign me... OUT! No thank you. DS was a good idea, I still think it's a good idea, I thought it was a good idea when it was just speculation. In all the Revolution rumors I thought of this earlier, I don't think it's a good idea.

I'll take X360 for $300, Alex.

Vieo

If there is one thing that's a fact, it's this: When you guys are playing Rumble Roses, Beach Strikers, and DOA, you'll be wishing you had this controller. :lol

I like what Edge Online says..

the new controller also happens to make the Xbox 360 pad and the 'boomerang' DualShock3 look outdated before they've even gone on sale.

To play 2d fighters you plug in your gamecube arcade sticks and stop your bitching. Are there still people that play fighters with gamepads? tsc tsc

DCX

DCX
....man...i think everything i want to say has been said....this is either the greatest thing EVER or a step into software only for Nintendo.

DCX

Rayven

aka surume
Seth C said:
That's not my point.

This is: I don't need to SPECULATE about how it will be moving the thing around to control a character's movements. I've already been there, and it sucked.
Your comparison isn't even close. I'm sure this will differ from game to game, but in the demos, you don't move the remote around to move the PC, thats for mouse-look, gun-con, racing wheel type control schemes.

all game genres sound like they would benefit from some combination of rev control schemes...except for 2d fighters, but as previously posted, you can slip the "remote" into a more traditional controller.

neptunes

Does the analog stick portion come with gyro as well? or is it just the Main remote?

dpfqc8.jpg

hmmm, looks kind of small :p

border

Jesus Carbomb said:
Also, to the people complaining about the potential risk of your arms getting tired... Puhleasse, when was the last time your arm cramped up from using a remote control?
Have you paid any attention to the applications people are talking about? Having to swing the remote like it's a sword for Zelda? How many sword slashes are there in an average Zelda session? Hundreds if not thousands. The novelty will wear off sooner or later, and after that you're dulling tromping down the road to repetitive stress injury.

Thinking of weird peripherals, I realized it'd be neat to just strap a controller to your shoe. Two of those, and you've got padless DDR that could theoretically give you more detailed instructions. A buddy of mine built on that idea, and suggests strapping one to each limb to do what the Genesis "Activator" wanted to. :)

Vieo

Redbeard said:
And how would you move around? You need to be holding the analog attatchment in the other hand.

I think this is pretty obvious. Nintendo said they aren't sure if they are including the analog stick or not. That's because you can do EVERYTHING with the controller in one hand. You can move around by just tilting it a bit.

border said:
Have you paid any attention to the applications people are talking about? Having to swing the remote like it's a sword for Zelda? How many sword slashes are there in an average Zelda session? Hundreds if not thousands. The novelty will wear off sooner or later, and after that you're dulling tromping down the road to repetitive stress injury.

What's wrong with the A, B, and Z buttons? That's what you normally use to control Link in Zelda games. If you dont wanna swing the widdle controller, who said you HAD to do it to play TTP?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
At first, I was underwhelmed, but after reading the hands-on impressions I'm psyched. This will open I wide variety of of new gaming experiences. I'm the type of person who holds my hand out the car window and pretends its a jet; this will be great. IGN's theories on how it might be used are kinda lame, but then its IGN. I can see lots of potential, from crazy stuff to other that's not that far out from even conventional controls.

Tilt it sideways and the controller basically gives you a third thumb. Control direction by tilting it ( you would move your hand just you would using a joystick) and it'll leave 10 face buttons available and both thumbs free for buttons. The remote itself could cover every genre made today, even 2D fighters.

I'd like to see a "B" next to the "A" and a diamond-patterned "a,b,x,y" buttons on the other end.

Amzin

Diffense said:
The wand doesn't have as many face buttons because it doesn't need it.

How many buttons does your mouse have?

How many buttons does your keyboard have?

Which one do you prefer to use to get around a graphical user interface?

The four directional buttons on a keyboard are not even equal to the mouse and its two.

Getting around a GUI is just part of a game, though. This thing definately lends itself to FPS and it seems like it would work perfectly for RTS games. It's close enough to a mouse where the Revolution could actually get decent RTS support.

etiolate

Banned
miyuru said:
Realise Nintendo and EA have a pretty good relationship IMO, what with all the exclusive Mario features in their games.

Yeah, but as much as I think this could make passing in Madden rather cool.. is EA really a company that's going to use the features? I remember there was talk of drawing hot routes at the snap in Madden DS, a cool idea, but I don't think it ever happened.

I love the potential. I like that it will make gaming feel a bit fresh, or I expect it to. I am just worried that tons of DS games have a second screen map and that's it. I am worried lazy, uncreative devs will be the bane for Nintendo.

I am completely stunned, it is 5:30am and I have had no sleep in 24 hours, no work in the morning (thank god!!) so this may make more sense when I wake up at about noon tomorrow

Great showing Nintendo. They got the hardcore fans and people new to gaming excited about it. To get the casuals interested, and to become a runaway hit, it all depends on the new Mario game, and how it works with the Baton® controller. Mario needs to be as fresh and fun as when the first time Mario64 was shown. It should, they've been working on it for so many years now.

The new Mario will either make Nintendo rise again, or put it into its grave.

Diffense

I also like this quote from the edge article.

One thing is for sure, though: as Nintendo promised, none of it will be predictable - and all of it will be a surprise, in one way or another.

That's what has me the most hyped. I was becoming really tired of how predicatable the 'next' generation was becoming.

miyuru

border said:

You make a valid point, but I still think most people are overexaggerating how large of a movement will be required to perform actions in games. And I'm sure the remote will be very light and ergonomic...

Basically what I'm saying is - Nintendo's thought of all this, for sure they have. I wouldn't worry, just have faith! :lol

I mean, the idea is wacky (I like it though). But Nintendo's controllers have always been a pleasure to use (at least relative to when they were released ;).

vitaflo

Drensch said:
My only issue is how they'll handle the third party pap like madden.

Pretty simple. You'd use the nunchucks. Move QB w/ the analog stick around the feild. Point to the reciever you want to throw to (they highlight as you point at them), press B to fire the ball to them.

Alternatively, you could move your hand forward to throw the ball.

Defense the same. Move w/ analog, point to who you want to tackle, to tackle them.

I think it'd be pretty cool actually. Really the Rev becomes a case of gesture recognition games.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
teiresias said:
Aside from being extremely taken aback by the thing initially, I do find the controller intriguing (I have to continually beat down my cynical side that says, "Oh look, now they can charge extra for attachable 'gimmick' controllers, the master plan commences") - and since the "regular" game universe this gen is bound to be multiplatform mania between 360 and PS3 I don't see why someone can't own one of them and the Revolution.

There are a couple of issues with Nintendo's strategy though. Regardless of what anyone says about it, it's in the same "novelty"/"gimmick" vein as the DS control. That approach works well enough for the DS though because Nintendo is so dominant in the handheld sector and the DS, being such a simple machine has very low layout for development, that companies are willing to build around its control scheme.

However, in the console arena, Nintendo is in no position to be creating hardware that demands that 3rd parties use idiosyncratic design philosophies and game mechanics specific to their hardware, simply because the console, relative to X360 and PS3 will not have the user-base necessary to command the kind of design approach that will be needed. Nintendo can say all they want about how it's easier to design for because it's not quite so graphically high-end, but the fact is that unless you want just higher res last gen gaming graphics the cash outlay for development WILL be larger than last generation, even on Revolution. Developers can also ramble off all of the "we love the controller" quotes they can muster right now as well, at the end of the day, when the Revolution userbase is miniscule compared to X360 and PS3 you can bet the executives at the top are going to ask why the company is dedicating teams to create specific content for the Revolution that can't be used on other platforms due to the controller when the same manpower and money could be used to create a game that will work just as well across both the X360 and PS3 platforms.

This is pretty much what I wanted to say at first. You did it better, thank you. I look forward to trying it personally...but yeah.

Still though, Japan will eat this thing up. The dev quotes don't impress me. WTF they gonna say? "We hate this piece of shit." Don't think so.

Enough bout this mess, show up some GAMES Nintendo. If you want us to see what you're trying to accomplish, show us on with games coming for the system! (Yes, I wanna see games, I mention that yet? =)

DMczaf

You know after watching that video, the controller isnt bad. Using it as a sword, playing the drums, fishing, dentist simulation, or a tennis racket. Looks pretty fun.

Amzin

Vieo said:
I think this is pretty obvious. Nintendo said they aren't sure if they are including the analog stick or not. That's because you can do EVERYTHING with the controller in one hand. You can move around by just tilting it a bit.

There IS a d-pad on the remote, too. I would think that moving it around to aim and trying to tilt to move would be fairly cumbersome, especially when you're trying to aim with two different ones.

Papi

If i'm playing, and i put the controller down to pick up my beer, do you think the movement of the controller will affect what's happening in the game? I'm guessing something like camera control would require you to hold down the A button simultaenously.

I'm concerned that we'll be forced to sit facing square on to the TV. The central position is always directed at the television so the controller has to be facing the TV to be centred. Yeah?

Dude... looking at that video, a friggin' Survival Horror game a la Silent Hill using that thing as a flashlight would be the best thing ever.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Ben Sones said:
A lot depends on how precise and responsive the thing is. If it works well, though...

From IGN and 1up's impressions, it seems to be extremely precise. Slight flicks of the wrist is all they needed in the Block Buster and Irritating Stick demos.

Ben Sones said:
They may be. I'm taking a wild guess here, but I wonder if they care? Maybe the lesson they took from this generation is that they aren't going to hold their own by begging for sloppy second ports from other consoles. Multi-platform games don't sell systems, exclusives do. And you need to give devs a reason to do an exclusive game on your system. A unique controller is a pretty good incentive, if the controller works well. This one has the advantage, potentially, of being more suitable than a gamepad for some very popular genres (like FPS), as well as opening the door for all sorts of the crazy oddball shit that Nintendo likes to do.

I say "wow."
EXACTLY what I was thinking. Nintendo tried to compete directly with Microsoft and Sony for third party multiplatform games and what did they get salewises? Bubkus. The best version was usually on Xbox, with Sony getting a lot of timed exclusives. How many times did Nintendo receive some half assed inferior version with some token connectivity crap?

By making a controller that is completely different to the other two, it gives developer one big incentive to develop exclusive content for it: the possibility of a HUGE untapped public that are completely turned off with the conventional controller. If Nintendo drives home this point to developers, I'm willing to bet most, if not all, will be willing to give Rev a shot. Coupled that with the probable lower development cost of the Rev compared to the 360 and ps3, PLUS the strength of nostalgia on past Nintendo games, this might create the niche that they need to secure a successful next generation.

border

How is it "suited to" FPS games when there's such a small number of buttons? Crouch, zoom, jump, fire, and alt-fire are pretty much standard for the genre now, and that already exceeds the number of quickly-accessible buttons. Like the DS's less conventional scheme, it seems more suited to "games that exist only in your imagination for right now."

Seth C

surume said:
Your comparison isn't even close. I'm sure this will differ from game to game, but in the demos, you don't move the remote around to move the PC, thats for mouse-look, gun-con, racing wheel type control schemes.

all game genres sound like they would benefit from some combination of rev control schemes...except for 2d fighters, but as previously posted, you can slip the "remote" into a more traditional controller.

Some of you are dense. It doesn't matter if you are controlling the character or a camera. The motion the controller forces you to make for the two situations would be the same, and doing it becomes akward and uncomfortable very quickly. So, the comparison stands. Does it matter if you are moving a character up or moving a camera up? No.

That does not mean there won't be good custom applications for the device, however.

Geek said:
Wow.

At first I thought "Huh... it's a... huh" then I thought "This is fucking brilliant" after reading about all the demos.

Basically. :) First I was like "Wha...wha happend?". After I read gamespot's excellent hands-on report, about a dozen different game ideas started popping into my head. As excited as I am for the other new consoles and the fidelity and atmosphere they'll bring, I cant say their hardware advances are going to inspire the type creativity this new design will invariably lead to. This is exactly what the industry needs as a balancing beam, an opposite side of the spectrum for the direction the Big Two are taking gaming. Im completely stoked, Miyamoto has done it again.

I cant believe all the knee-jerk reactions though...well I guess I can, but this is a pretty embarressing thread for GAF imo. Some people are going to look back at their comments in due time and feel pretty foolish.

Whats incredibly ironic is Revolution should be the home for MS' bread and butter now. I cant think of a better device for the First Person Shooter than this controller, not even mouse/keyboard. :lol

Vieo

I'm wondering how Ikaruga will control with this. I thought about turning it counter clockwise, but how would I fire missles if I'm using A/B for Guns/Polarity?

vitaflo

KingJ2002 said:
2D fighters will not be played the same... thats for sure.

Honestly, what serious 2D fighting fan doesn't have their own custom joysticks anyway?

I can see the argument that Capcom et al won't want to even consider making fighting games for Rev in the first place, but lets be honest here. Fans of fighters don't use stock controllers.

PkunkFury

If the wand had 6 face buttons where the a and b button are at the bottom, it would be perfect for fighting games, i.e. hold the analouge stick in your left hand and place the wand on the floor to use as an arcade pad in your right.

maybe an attachment to the wand with 4 more buttons?

I really think the idea behind the conrtoller is great, but the wand should be somehting much more versatile. something like an intersense wand, or maybe a grip with buttons under evry finger.

Tiktaalik

Revolution will have the best baseball games.

but seriously, the new Mario will have to be a 10/10, revolutionary experience otherwise this won't catch on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom