• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

skip

Mama Smurf said:
RPG - Not a problem.

FPS - Better than ever.

RTS - Better than ever.

Fighters - Problem, easily solved by releasing an add on with face buttons (as many as the game needs, shoulder buttons if it wants it).

Platformers - Not a problem.

Racers - Not a problem/better than ever.

Action/adventure - Better than ever.

Flight games - Better than ever.

Puzzlers - Not a problem.

God games/puppy sims - Better than ever.

Music games - Probably needs an extra peripheral but always has.

Party - Not a problem.

Sports - Well...you tell me. Don't play them much. IGN seem to think they'd work.

When I say better than ever, I mean on a console, I don't know how it'll compare to a PC set up yet.

smart man, you are.

----

Banned
Redbeard said:
And how would you move around? You need to be holding the analog attatchment in the other hand.

Same way you move around with a keyboard in PC first person shooters, with the d-pad (WASD).

He's right I never thought about being able to dual wield and have 2 independent targets.

DCX said:
....man...i think everything i want to say has been said....this is either the greatest thing EVER or a step into software only for Nintendo.
That would be quite a smack into a brick wall; it's only in the last year or so that they've really started doing games that wouldn't be possible with other hardware's input methods.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
border said:
How is it "suited to" FPS games when there's such a small number of buttons? Crouch, zoom, jump, fire, and alt-fire are pretty much standard for the genre now, and that already exceeds the number of quickly-accessible buttons. Like the DS's less conventional scheme, it seems more suited to "games that exist only in your imagination for right now."
Actually, with the analog stick, there would be 8 button free to use. Unlike a dual analog controller, you can use those buttons without pulling you thumb off of the right stick.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
gaf likes it :lol

nintendo fans not missing a beat :lol

sides...cramping :lol

lungs...bursting :lol

No EA Support?

"Game control is essential – it's the area where perhaps the most game-play improvement can be made," said John Schappert, Sr. Vice President and General Manager of Electronic Arts (Research) Canada in a written statement. "While our portfolio represents a full array of titles across all genres, I think our sports titles might be the first to immediately take advantage of what this novel 'freehand' type of control has to offer."

From that CNN Money report on the Rev Controller.

The video just proves everyones good points.

It looks like so much fun.

ANY Genre you avoided these past couple of gens can be reborn and fun to you.

Red Scarlet said:
Looks like Zeo did start finding new proxies/accounts.

What about my pop? I have to stop the game completely due to having to use both hands to play a game! I'll give it a try, but I sure don't like it right now at all. And you guys for it that are bitching at others for prejudging without trying it, YOU ARE DOING THE SAME THING.

You stupid bitch, this isn't fucking Zeo.

You stupid bitch, who doesnt fucking use two hands to play console games, what the fuck are you talking about.

You stupid bitch, I am making my judgements after reading information about how the controller works, not basing my judgments on how the fucking thing looks like some of the fucking idiots in this fucking retarded thread.

border said:
How is it "suited to" FPS games when there's such a small number of buttons? Crouch, zoom, jump, fire, and alt-fire are pretty much standard for the genre now, and that already exceeds the number of quickly-accessible buttons. Like the DS's less conventional scheme, it seems more suited to "games that exist only in your imagination for right now."

You have the 2 triggers on the analog part, and then the trigger and the other button on the wand part. The 2 triggers could take care of crouch and jump, the fire is obviously the trigger on the wand, and you could toggle with the other button. For zoom, you can literally MOVE THE WAND IN to zoom.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
border said:

Jesus fucking christ, are you even reading replies?! It has the same number of buttons as the Dual Shock minus a D pad when using the analogue attachment! Those 5 commands you just suggested leave 3 easily accessible buttons left!

I'm sorry, I don't have time to read through this whole thread so it could already be posted.

CHECK OUT THE VIDEO HERE

EDIT: sorry, well at least there's another link now.

OmniGamer

Ok, I'm officially hyped for this controller!

Now i'm EXTREMELY curious to see how "Mario 128" will utilize the tilt/3D sensor features, as well as whatever other features may be used in the game!

*Edit*
I made that post before the other posts about the video :)...going to check it out now.

AWESOME vidoe. WOW just fucking awesome....imagine the possibilities.

hey looks like Nintendo is forcing those useless 3rd parties to be creative and even if they ditch the Rev like the did with the Cube, Nintendo will be fine. All we need is the exclusives and we always get them some how.

AWESOME video.

RE5 won't be the same as on the PS3/360. The Rev version will be the one to look out for.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I know you guys remember that patent with the game boy that sliced cabbage by moving it in space ;)

Redbeard

Banned
---- said:
Same way you move around with a keyboard in PC first person shooters, with the d-pad (WASD).

He's right I never thought about being able to dual wield and have 2 independent targets.

Then how do you switch weapons?

thomaser

border said:

Crouch by moving it down, jump by flicking it up, zoom in by moving it towards the tv, zoom out by moving it back.

GDGF

Soothsayer
border said:

Easily. With the analog stick attatchment (surely to be a pack in) you've got your movement covered. With the aiming stick you've got your aiming covered. With the trigger underneath you've got your shooting covered (N64 style!) with the big A button you've got your jumping covered. With the crosspad you've got your crouch, zoom, and alt-fire covered. That's not even using all the buttons on the controller, BTW :)

Calidor

the video is fucking incredible, the sword swing had the same effect on me as the first day i saw super mario 64, THANKS NINTENDO :D

Dave Long

Banned
I dunno if this has been mentioned, but imagine if you threw the controller in frustration and the game got pissed at you for doing so because it detected that motion. :)

PkunkFury

border said:

Your left hand has an analouge stick (move) and two trigger buttons (jump and crouch)

youre right hand has a B button (fire) and an A button (alt fire) and a D-Pad (4 more buttons: switch to four easily accesable weapons, or zoom, or whatever) and a tilt sensor that allows not only full analouge rotation in three directions, but also position tracking in three dimensions (aiming, and possible zoom, or swinging melee weapons, or something really crazy)

The controller definitely has acces to all of the buttons it needs, it just might be confusing to hit the proper ones at the proper time for somehting like a fighter. For an fps it seems pretty intuitive.

Also this controller allows confortable access to pressing 3 buttons at once, while using two analouge sticks (since the left analouge thumb is free to hit a button)

the negative reactions are priceless :lol

this thing will own like the DS before it... beware my friends, beware
Nintendo is MAD, MAD I tell you!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
norinrad21 said:
AWESOME vidoe. WOW just fucking awesome....imagine the possibilities.

hey looks like Nintendo is forcing those useless 3rd parties to be creative and even if they ditch the Rev like the did with the Cube, Nintendo will be fine. All we need is the exclusives and we always get them some how.

AWESOME video.

RE5 won't be the same as on the PS3/360. The Rev version will be the one to look out for.

I can understand why people have said that you have to see it demoed to understand it now. The sword fight , :lol :lol that could be either zelda or soul calibur. Schweeeet!

Wow, I cant believe the responses in this thread. People are really digging it, even if they arent Nintendo fans. Iwata should go have a tailgate party, it seems that somehow....somewhere.....the whole Revolution idea is coming together :)

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
drohne said:
gaf likes it :lol

nintendo fans not missing a beat :lol

sides...cramping :lol

lungs...bursting :lol

I totally agree :lol

Although Its different and it may just work.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, it's certainly unique... I just hope the new SSB plays similar to the old ones, no weird hand gestures - I still prefer more 'traditional' control schemes. This might work pretty well with RPGs, like the old 1 handed ASCII GRIP controller from a while ago. It would obviously work well with hentai games =P

It'll probably be another DS situation - everybody goes "what the hell?", first games that come out are gimmicky minigame collections, developers finally grasp the potential a few months later and make some awesome games taking advantage of this technology, while "classic" style gameplay gets retrofitted with it.

Wonder how this will fly in non-GAF land aka the "real world"...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
wow fucking amazing that video was something else, the flash light part was fucking genuis /

Revolution for the win :D

teiresias

In an ideal world the Revolution would be a major hit, PS3 would reign in first, and MS would be forced out of the console arena forever with their tail tucked between their legs.

Revolution won't be a launch day purchase for me unless there is something ubar intriguing coming out for it from the get-go - I'm going to have to wait and make sure there is real content that intuitively uses the controller for the thing rather than gimmick driven stuff that forces the use of the controller into inappropirate scenarios.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This thing has got me hyped up like Mario 64 got me hyped up when I first saw it. This truely is a Revolution in control. So many freaking possibilities!

And you just know that Mario 128 and this contoller will go hand in hand. I'm sure when it is finally shown every thing will become clear even to the biggest naysayers.

even if there werent enough buttons for certain games, "buttons" can be placed on the HUD on screen and the user simply points and clicks at the "button" on the HUD and bam, instant change of weapon.

PkunkFury

Haha, the most amazing part is we all responded with ehtirely different control schemes for an fps, all of which might work. I think the biggest problem with this controller is that it is so versatille it might confuse the heck out of people.

Also, where I work we have an expensive intersense radio tracking system set up on our VR theater, and that thing tends to bug out no and then when the wand is facing the wrong way or a tracker is obscures. Considering this will be much cheaper tech, I wonder how faithfully it would actually track things like swinging a sword hard (which has an arch from one side of your body to the ohter) the tracking feild can't be that good, and it would seem the front of the device has to be pointed at the sensors. Has anyone reported what type of tracking technology this is using yet?

Wow I honestly don't know what to say or think. At first I thought it was April Fool's but then realized fall is right around the corner. I'm going to bed soon and when I wake up, I'll hope this was all a bad dream. Nintendo can rest assured that MS or Sony won't be "stealing" their "revolutionary" controller/tv remote any time soon.

How is this any different than an analog stick, except now your arm gets tired? As for RTS games, it'll be HELL to bandbox without anything to rest your hand on. And pointing to select various GUI elements? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

This isn't a mouse substitute; it's not even an approximation. RTS, especially, are designed for MICE.

kablooey

Oh my fucking god. This is amazing.

What a ballsy move by Nintendo. They knew they'd catch tons of flack from conventional gamers, but for people like me, who haven't cared about videogaming in a long time, this is the most exciting thing I've seen in ages. :D I'm sold! I seriously can't wait to see how Mario Whatever takes advantage of this, because it was likely designed around the controller. Giggity giggity.

[/Nintendo fanboy]

PkunkFury

Drinky Crow said:
How is this any different than an analog stick, except now your arm gets tired? As for RTS games, it'll be HELL to bandbox without anything to rest your hand on. And pointing to select various GUI elements? Sounds like a receipe for disaster.

This isn't a mouse substitute; it's not even an approximation. RTS, especially, are designed for MICE.

You could put it on the ground and slide it around like a mouse

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
How is the video impressive?

I mean, I'm on the positive side on this Rev controller thing now, but seriously, how was that impressive?

It was a video of people wildly waving the thing around with sound effects. Wonderful. Maybe if they actually showed the interaction with a GAME to illustrate, then maybe it would fall into the "impressive" category. But there's nothing in that video to be impressed about other than the fact that they found that many people to make asses out of themselves.

Ristamar

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm also intrigued. I do think it could use a few more buttons, but it's hard to say at this point. None of it matters anyway, for better or for worse, until I see some real games.

One thing is almost certain. While Nintendo may produce a Wavebird-esque controller/accessory for the Revolution, I highly doubt it would be packaged with the console. They want developers to embrace their new control design, not let them easily fall back on more conventional methods.

Norse

TheDuce22 said:
Thats 1000x worse than I ever could have possibly imagined. Are they fucking insane?

hahahahaha...that is just amazing....can I please use this as my tag line? LMAO hehe

Ben Sones

Re: fighting games: Yeah, it's not great for existing games using a traditional control scheme. I suspect that you'd want to plug in a Wavebird for playing old fighting games or new ports from other systems. But WRT fighting games made for the Revolution, I think it's odd that peoples' first reaction is to try to think of ways they can turn this new controller back into a regular gamepad. Given how different it is, I think I'd rather see a fighting game that dumps the conventional buttons-and-stick control scheme and does something totally different. I'm sure there's all sorts of interesting moves you could come up with for a precise, motion-sensing controller. Screw button combos. Let's try something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom