• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
FUCK THE CRY BABIES.

I for one am in tears, i have never felt so overjoyed since i saw Mario64. Nintendo took a different approach from the big boys and it will cash in in the long run.

LETS SEE SONY and MS COPY THIS IN NO TIME :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Seth C said:
That's not my point.

This is: I don't need to SPECULATE about how it will be moving the thing around to control a character's movements. I've already been there, and it sucked.

It depends on the game though. For more normal games it simply seems like it'll control the camera.

Diffense

Someone mentioned that the lower buttons seem out of the way i nthe pictures. That's because the lower buttons are only usable when the controller is held like a NES pad.

sammy

I can't wait to see a cool SNES peripheral that docks on the bottom bay :) --- turn that badboy sideways and have some old-school fun.

Wow, this is so damned awesome.

Konami, if this doesnt make you want to port Police 911 or that boxing game, you are seriously fucked.

One Revolution, please!

Seth C

Ulairi said:
Are you really this dense? You cannot compare a 3d space to a 2d space.

Until a TV becomes an actual 3D display and not a 2D one, you bet I can. For now, we're still playing our games in a 2D space.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
RPG - Not a problem.

FPS - Better than ever.

RTS - Better than ever.

Fighters - Problem, easily solved by releasing an add on with face buttons (as many as the game needs, shoulder buttons if it wants it).

Platformers - Not a problem.

Racers - Not a problem/better than ever.

Action/adventure - Better than ever.

Flight games - Better than ever.

Puzzlers - Not a problem.

God games/puppy sims - Better than ever.

Music games - Probably needs an extra peripheral but always has.

Party - Not a problem.

Sports - Well...you tell me. Don't play them much. IGN seem to think they'd work.

When I say better than ever, I mean on a console, I don't know how it'll compare to a PC set up yet.

KingJ2002

studio810 said:
I don't think it's fucking over fighting game fans, maybe close-minded fighting game fans, this "could" revive fighting games, giving the user new ways to interact with the character. Maybe moving the character on a 3d playing field with the controller, while using the analog control to execute moves. It'll make developers think differently about how people play their games. And I thinks that's a good thing.

2D fighters will not be played the same... thats for sure.

haha, I'm totally over reacting.

Thanks for the attention. Anyways,

In all honesty, the impressions of the demos sound great. I can only imagine lighsaber duels now come to life, or shooting Link's bow. The possibilities are endless. Just as someone pointed out, boxing...I dont like boxing, or boxing games (cept Punch out) But a controller like this can totally make a boxing game fun to a non boxing fan. Hell, fishing sounds interesting now. I just hope the 3rd parties jump on this, the potential is there. This truely is a revolution among gaming.

Those who feel they're gonna look stupid gaming, swinging this thing around. Whatever, your gonna be in the privacy of your own home. GAF drinkers, think of bullriding. How stupid everyone looks, but theres that one brave soul who starts the bull riding every nite at some bar. People laugh, make fun, but the line grows. If this technology was to hit the arcades, it'll be the same thing, point and laugh, watch the line grow, be intrigued and play. Everyone has a blast.

I cant wait.

MrDaravon

Right now as just a concept, I think it's fantastic. I think it's really fresh, interesting idea. In theory it has great promise for gameplay, and as has been mentioned, with customizable attachments you could make just about anything work.

Most everyone I'm seeing who's actually USED IT seems to like it and/or thinks it shows great promise, major developers/publishers like it, what are people complaining about? I'm waiting for some more hands-on impressions with actual games for a final verdict. And I think this will go over GREAT with casual/non-gamers. It looks sleek, and it's something that already familiar with yet something interesting and new at the same time.

mCACGj

I think this might take away from multiplatform games, but I also think that this could increase 3rd party support. 3rd parties might not release the same games on the Revolution that they did on the 360 or PS3, but instead something unique and different. I think a lot of developers will create specially made games for this thing if not just to create something unique for the hell of it, assuming the development costs are down.

My initial reaction of shock and panic have now died down into a wondrous and hopeful mind set.

teiresias

Aside from being extremely taken aback by the thing initially, I do find the controller intriguing (I have to continually beat down my cynical side that says, "Oh look, now they can charge extra for attachable 'gimmick' controllers, the master plan commences") - and since the "regular" game universe this gen is bound to be multiplatform mania between 360 and PS3 I don't see why someone can't own one of them and the Revolution.

There are a couple of issues with Nintendo's strategy though. Regardless of what anyone says about it, it's in the same "novelty"/"gimmick" vein as the DS control. That approach works well enough for the DS though because Nintendo is so dominant in the handheld sector and the DS, being such a simple machine has very low layout for development, that companies are willing to build around its control scheme.

However, in the console arena, Nintendo is in no position to be creating hardware that demands that 3rd parties use idiosyncratic design philosophies and game mechanics specific to their hardware, simply because the console, relative to X360 and PS3 will not have the user-base necessary to command the kind of design approach that will be needed. Nintendo can say all they want about how it's easier to design for because it's not quite so graphically high-end, but the fact is that unless you want just higher res last gen gaming graphics the cash outlay for development WILL be larger than last generation, even on Revolution. Developers can also ramble off all of the "we love the controller" quotes they can muster right now as well, at the end of the day, when the Revolution userbase is miniscule compared to X360 and PS3 you can bet the executives at the top are going to ask why the company is dedicating teams to create specific content for the Revolution that can't be used on other platforms due to the controller when the same manpower and money could be used to create a game that will work just as well across both the X360 and PS3 platforms.

lordmrw

Mashing said:
Typical. The reaction here is so predictable.

At first I was also like: WTF IS THAT THING??

But after reading IGN's, 1-Up's and Gamespot's impressions I'm really exicted to play games. The possiblities really are astounding.

Of course everone likes to jump to conclusions without even playing games on it.

The interesting thing I read in the 1up impressions is that they mention the dual setup can be placed inside a traditional controller mold, so you wouldn't have to hold them both separately.
I liked that.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Crow said:
I was shocked and horrified at it first, but now I reckon it's awesome...entire new genres can be born with it. New and inventive ways can be discovered to make games new and unique again. Someone above described it as a wand, and it clicked...just imagine how good a Harry Potter or Magic game could be on the revolution where you actually have to remember the hand gestures to cast spells. Kind of like in Black and White only better implemented.

I'm imagining a scenario with fighting games using a similar system, too. Instead of pulling movesets off button combos and down left right on your d-pad, just swing the remote up for an uppercut, or jab back and forth quick for a quick punch, sweep down for a low roundhouse kick. I'm 100% sure Nintendo is cooking up a good control scheme for Smash Brothers. GUARANTEED.

border

This is like what would happen if Sony announced the Eyetoy as the default controller for Playstation 2 or Playstation 3. Yes there are possibilities for new types of games but making it work with currently existing genres seems near-impossible, and it would be kind of exhausting using even in games that were made for it.
GDGF said:
This controller makes the Zelda adventures of Miyamoto's youth finally possible.
There is a flashlight attachment for cave exploration?

For anyone saying that the controller looks unconfortable o tiring YOU ARE WRONG. Read the article damnit!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

For anyone saying that it doesn't have enough buttons to play fighting games you're right. Couldn't Nintendo put a couple more buttons near the A button for god's sake?

Anyway, I wasn't really planning on buying Revolution but I'm really tempted now.

kIdMuScLe

WTF>!! where is Yamauchi where you need him??!11! i bet he wouldn't let this shit fly! fuck!!!!!!!1 nONo!!!!! god damn you!!!

fuck ! u ruiined MY LEFFEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 what i do now!!>! gfudsaoafsd

gjakslj GDAMN!! DAMN IT!!! WTFBBQ>!!!

acklame

my first impression after seeing the pics

OMG WTF!!!!!!!!!

:lol ???? :( :? ??? :/ :lol

second impression after reading about its capabilities

WTF? but interesting :)

nightez

Banned
SS4Gogita said:
REV-CONTROLLER.jpg
Why would anyone in this day and age want to use the Dual Shock when you can use WaveBird

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
So the controller can essentially act as a Virtual Touchpad of sorts. Now EVERY single DS game that has utilized the touch pad thus far can be easily created for the Revo. Take all of the functionality of the DS, while eliminating the need for a constrictive touchscreeen, which could lead to higher pricing... I see what you just did there Nintendo. Very Clever :)

Also, to the people complaining about the potential risk of your arms getting tired... Puhleasse, when was the last time your arm cramped up from using a remote control? You don't really believe that you'll have to literally keep your arms outstretched and pointed at the TV the entire time while you're playing do you? Grab a remote or your wireless mouse and simply hold it in a normal resting position. Press a few buttons, wiggle your wrist around a bit and see how it feels. Not bad right? Hasn't controller ergonomics and form factor always been a top priority for Nintendo?

miyuru

I'm liking Revolution. And who cares about fighting games? My 'Cube is the LAST system I use for fighters :lol Do you honestly play CvS2 on your 'Cube??

And if you do, I'm sure you can still use GameCube controllers for Rev. games. I don't really see why not.

You fucktards who haven't read any impressions should go do that then post what you think, rather than spamming the boards. I'm not being a fanboy here to be honest, if you're not happy with the controller, that's cool! Just fer chrissakes, it's hard to have a decent discussion when uninformed wanks such as yourselves post your dribble all over.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

HELLO FRIENDS.

Can you help me? I have avoided seeing ANY news on the Revolution, because I want to learn first from watching the Keynote itself. Unfortunately, I can't risk being spoiled by poking around IGN and other sites looking for a downloadable video-feed. THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN HELP. Please PM me a direct-link to any available video of Iwata's Keynote speech. Not a selected clip from the event, but the whole 50 minute speech. I will not read any reply's in this thread as to avoid spoilers...so please... PM me the link.

THANK YOU.

Ben Sones

I think all the folks here pissing on the trees are failing to notice the forest. This thing is the console version of a mouse and keyboard. Except that it's potentially better than a mouse, because it senses movement in three dimensions. And tilts. This picture:

fps.jpg

...screams "first-person shooter." Analog thumbsticks are a crappy controller for FPS games. They always have been, and they always will be. I can totally imagine how one might "mouselook" by moving the remote on the right, while using the left analog stick to move. There's also a pair of triggers on the underside of those pieces (primary and alt fire), and the D-pad on the remote could do weapon and item selects. If this this is responsive enough--and I'm not saying that it is, because I don't know--but IF it is, the Revolution could be the system for first-person shooters. That's pretty huge.

Ditto for driving games. Imagine steering just by turning the controller in space, like a steering wheel. As with FPS games, an analog stick is a poor man's steering wheel. Devs have gotten good at designing games to work with them, but this could potentially be a hell of a lot more precise.

How about cursor-driven games? Can you put a cursor on the screen and drag it around with that thing? I dunno, but if you can, then you have the first console that's a viable platform for real-time strategy games.

Imagine a version of Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan! where you play standing up, and pantomime the routine instead of tapping a screen.

I think a lot of folks are writing this thing off too quickly. Yeah, it's weird. Really weird. And it's not well-suited to current control conventions. But put that aside for a moment and think of the shit that you could possibly do with such a control--stuff that would never fly with a gamepad.

A lot depends on how precise and responsive the thing is. If it works well, though...

Inumaru said:
My arm is going to get tired holding that up in "3D space". I'm too lazy for this controller.

Who says that you have to hold it up in the air? I hold my gamepad with my arms resting on my knees, when I'm sitting on the couch. I don't see why that wouldn't work with this. It senses movement relative to its own position in space. You can probably put your arms wherever you want while using it.

mattx5 said:
You hear that?

That's the sound of Nintendo fucking themselves on multi-platform releases.

They may be. I'm taking a wild guess here, but I wonder if they care? Maybe the lesson they took from this generation is that they aren't going to hold their own by begging for sloppy second ports from other consoles. Multi-platform games don't sell systems, exclusives do. And you need to give devs a reason to do an exclusive game on your system. A unique controller is a pretty good incentive, if the controller works well. This one has the advantage, potentially, of being more suitable than a gamepad for some very popular genres (like FPS), as well as opening the door for all sorts of the crazy oddball shit that Nintendo likes to do.

I say "wow."

GDGF

Soothsayer
TheDuce22 said:
I dont see how nintendo can hope to compete when their controller has 2 accessable buttons. Its a huge step backwards.

I have a pretty good feeling that the Revolution will also come with a Gamecube controller, possibly a Wavebird, too. No worries from that angle.

bummyhead

I think I am starting to understand the controller, so forgive my orignal shocked reaciton.

i find it most interresting that EA claims to be most excited about this controller for their sports games. Considering that sports games were pitiful on gamecube, it seems kind of ironic that this bizzarre controller would bring sports back to nintendo.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
For everyone saying it can't work for fighters or any other kinds of games because it is too quirky/weird/not normal/has too few buttons:

1up.com said:
Nintendo also mentioned that the controller stick could be slipped inside other, more conventional controller shells

So STFU. :lol

TheDuce22 said:
I dont see how nintendo can hope to compete when their controller has 2 accessable buttons. Its a huge step backwards.
I think they clearly established that this system is NOT intended for traditional games. I mean, don't you think they considered the 3rd party situation early on?

Could be cool. Could own the world. Cool bring peace to every land in this great earth. Or it will suck.

All this articles are saying its fine to hold and it feels okay. Have they held it for like an hour or 2 yet? Like a real gaming session? That thing does not look comfortable to hold for long peroids of time. And why are they cheaping on the buttons? More!!!!

Just saying :)

I vote this might end up dumb and dumb, but we shall see.

GG-Duo

Ninja Scooter said:
even if they released a regular controller instead of this wand thing, they woulnd't be. Honestly, if the Rev just had some sort of upgraded GC controller, do you think it would sell any better. "They're gonna lose 3rd party support" WHAT fucking 3rd party support? The 25K copies of Madden EA sells every year (compared to millions on Sony/MS)? The 2-3 exclusive, relatively hi profile japanese games (1-2 of which bomb) that they get on Gamecube every year? This is Nintendo EMBRACING the fact that they aren't going to compete with Sony and Microsoft, which is a good thing because nothing they could do, not DVD/BluRay playback, not a hard disk drive, not a "regular" controller was going to put them back in the game.

Quoted for truth. Good stuff, sir.

This is a great controller for First Person Games.

I would love to see a STAR WARS games using this controller.

Imagine wielding a Lightsaber with that controller. I can block lazers and swing at my enemy with that remote, straf with the analog, and switch to a gun shoot with accuracy. I can't wait.

Listen Lucasarts, makes a decent Jedi game with this controller.

mj1108

norinrad21 said:
FUCK THE CRY BABIES.

I for one am in tears, i have never felt so overjoyed since i saw Mario64. Nintendo took a different approach from the big boys and it will cash in in the long run.

LETS SEE SONY and MS COPY THIS IN NO TIME :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to see MS and/or Sony copy this just to see GAF reaction.

Fix

Banned
TheDuce22 said:

I think the point is that they don't want to compete. They want to reinvent the hobby right out from under the others.

Red Scarlet

Der Kommisar said:
BY THE WAY YOU GUYS WHO ARE POSTING ":lol" ARE FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT, FUCK YOURSELVES.

YES LETS NOT GIVE IT A CHANCE BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE A REMOTE CONTROL LOL ROFL FROLFLFF FUCKING FUCKERS

Looks like Zeo did start finding new proxies/accounts.

What about my pop? I have to stop the game completely due to having to use both hands to play a game! I'll give it a try, but I sure don't like it right now at all. And you guys for it that are bitching at others for prejudging without trying it, YOU ARE DOING THE SAME THING.

Tellaerin

bobjuice said:
Why is there such a thirst for three systems that do the exact same thing? Most of you seem to be multiconsole people, so what's the loss here? Do you REALLY want RE5 on all three systems? Why do you care so much? I love this and can't wait to see where it goes. Pity all you fattyarms who can't handle it.

Think of it in terms of typing. Some people have spent their entire lives typing on QWERTY keyboards, and are quite good at it. Nintendo announces that their new system is only going to support the Dvorak layout, because it's easier for new typists to learn. This new controller is great for the newbies and casuals. On the other hand, it's giving the big middle finger to the long-time gamers out there who can handle a gamepad without even thinking about it, and who are now forced to learn a new (and not necessarily better) way of playing games before they can even begin to enjoy the new Mario/Zelda/Metroid/what have you.

I'm sorry, but bringing newbie gamers into the fold isn't my problem. I'm not some casual who's intimidated by all the buttons and sticks on a normal gamepad and needs a glorified remote controller to help ease me into the scary world of videogames. Waving a controller around in the air to direct the action also seems like it would be a lot less precise than a normal controller. So much of this crap feels like it's intended to be different for the sake of being different and/or 'more accessible for newcomers', rather than being the promised improvement in input mechanisms we keep hearing about.

I'm still buying a Rev, but I'm not at all keen on the idea of having to use this... weird thing to play games yet. :p

Diffense

The wand doesn't have as many face buttons because it doesn't need it.

How many buttons does your mouse have?

How many buttons does your keyboard have?

Which one do you prefer to use to get around a graphical user interface?

The four directional buttons on a keyboard are not even equal to the mouse and its two.

GDGF

Soothsayer
border said:
There is a flashlight attachment for cave exploration?

You're joking, I know, but no attachment required. Hit the select button or whatever and now your controller acts as an ingame flashlight. You point it around in 3D space and tada - a nice spotlight :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Gahiggidy said:

HELLO FRIENDS.

Can you help me? I have avoided seeing ANY news on the Revolution, because I want to learn first from watching the Keynote itself. Unfortunately, I can't risk being spoiled by poking around IGN and other sites looking for a downloadable video-feed. THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN HELP. Please PM me a direct-link to any available video of Iwata's Keynote speech. Not a selected clip from the event, but the whole 50 minute speech. I will not read any reply's in this thread as to avoid spoilers...so please... PM me the link.

THANK YOU.
who wants to link him a controller pic with ROFLpWNED photoshopped on?

miyuru

Realise Nintendo and EA have a pretty good relationship IMO, what with all the exclusive Mario features in their games.

Amzin

I was skeptical at first, but after reading the hands-on, it could be very promising. I just wish I had the money to get all 3 next-gens when they came out. Probably won't be able to even get the 360 this year. >_<

Rindain

Banned
Fighting games will be fine...instead of tapping button combinations, the different moves will be carried out by moving the controller in determined patterns. It will be great, especially for weapons-based fighters. No worries.

----

Banned
Man too bad they didn't have this device for Dreamcast considering all the innovative and peripheral based games that system had.

Think about playing Jet Grind Radio or Virtua Tennis with this controller. Light gun games, fishing games, golf, baseball, tennis, FPS, RTS, flight sims, etc. This one controller is capable of eliminating so many peripherals and making existing genres so much more immersive. It also makes a lot of traditional PC games more playable on a console.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Look. Analogue stick in one hand. 2 triggers on that. Remote looking controller in the other hand. Tilt stuff is like the second analogue stick only better, one big button, one trigger, 4 buttons from the D pad.

The only times it will lose out in that configuration is when the few games that need so many buttons that they actually use a D pad on the other systems as buttons. Otherwise, same number as a Dual Shock.

Memles

I'm expecting that we will be seeing some Controller Peripherals for this system.

For instance...

Wireless SNES Controller+Super Mario World Download = $25-$30

Wireless N64 Controller + Super Mario 64 = $25-$30

For me, the most exciting things about Revolution haven't even changed...Nintendo games, new and old, wireless online play and backwards compatibility. Give me support for my Wavebird and I'm all set.

mj1108 said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to see MS and/or Sony copy this just to see GAF reaction.

I'd definitely want to see that reaction.

BTW mj, how's the vibe over at the IGN boards?

What did you expect?

IGN Interview Satoru Iwata from E3 said:
Q: Who announced the codename Nintendo Revolution?

A: Nintendo president Satoru Iwata. On stage at Nintendo's pre-E3 2004 press conference, Iwata said:

"Different also defines our approach to our next home system. It won't simply be new or include new technologies. Better technology is good, but not enough. Today's consoles already offer fairly realistic expressions so simply beefing up the graphics will not let most of us see a difference. So what should a new machine do? Much more. An unprecedented gameplay experience. Something no other machine has delivered before.

"The definition for a new machine must be different.

"I could give you our technical specs, as I'd know you'd like that, but I won't for a simple reason: they really don't matter. The time when horsepower alone made all the difference is over.

"Work on Revolution is well underway. When you see it you will be excited because you will experience a gaming revolution."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom