• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Syphon Filter
(08-01-2013, 08:08 PM)
http://majornelson.com/2013/08/01/wh...with-xbox-one/

This morning, we announced a new beta program for Xbox 360 called Enforcement United, that lets Xbox Live members like you get involved to help make Xbox Live a more fun, fair and safer place for everyone to play. Xbox Live is the best online gaming experience and now were enabling every member to help us make it even better. We also unveiled Xbox Community Level, a website where Xbox Live members can earn rewards and recognition for participating in the Enforcement United beta and the long-standing Xbox Live Ambassadors program.

Its a great way for Xbox Live members to engage with their community, but its not the only element were bringing to the table. Here are a few core features for Xbox One, developed specifically with the Xbox Live community in mind, that make online gaming better:

Xbox Live Multiplayer on Xbox One
Youve told us that Xbox Live is the best service for online multiplayer gaming, and were continuing that tradition on Xbox One, where weve made the multiplayer experience the way we all want it: smart, quick and intuitive. What makes Xbox Live revolutionary on Xbox One? Its the power. Were investing in more than 300,000 servers to supercharge Xbox Live. With a wealth of new features and the stable service you need, Xbox Live on Xbox One offers you THE multiplayer experience to game with all of your friends.

Better Matchmaking
Earlier this summer, I talked with Micheal Dunn, Program Manager on Xbox Live Services, about the new Xbox One matchmaking system called Smart Match. The key here is that you no longer have to sit and wait for a game to match you with other players. With Smart Match on Xbox One, I can put in my match request, then switch over and catch up on the posts on Xbox One or watch TV or a movie. When a match is found, Xbox One tells me so I can re-enter the game instantly. Smart Match also matches you with players like yourself, making your multiplayer gaming even more tailored to your game style.

Enhanced Reputation and Enforcement
The Enforcement United program will complement Smart Matchs new reputation system on Xbox One. Weve updated our proprietary algorithms for monitoring gaming behavior on Xbox Live, expanded scoring elements, engaged our enforcement team and created requirements for games to take reputation into account. The new reputation system is built on a model that accounts for how you behave and whether you positively or negatively affect others. As long as other players or the games you play are not negatively reporting you or your actions, youll maintain a positive reputation. Ways to weaken your reputation, for example, would be to join a competitive, veteran area and try to disrupt games, or join a casual play area and be a griefer. Weve also worked hard to ensure this new system cant be manipulated by groups of griefers. Our goal is to create a safe and fun place for gamers without BS from trolls and spammers. Casual gamers might not even notice that this new reputation system is in place, but trust me, serious online gamers will be glad it is.

New Achievements System
Achievements have always added that extra layer of accomplishment, challenge and reward for Xbox Live members, and were excited to continue that tradition on Xbox One. Weve introduced a new kind of Achievement called a Challenge, where players and friends can work to accomplish time-based objectives resulting in winning cool free stuff. Developers can also now continue to grow and expand their achievements over time, so you have more opportunities to build up your score without being limited to the achievements on the disk. Dont forget, your Gamerscore will also carry over from Xbox 360.

Game DVR, Upload
With Game DVR and Upload Studio, you can create and add epic video clips to share with your Xbox Live friends. With Xbox Live on Xbox One, you now have new ways to record, edit, share and broadcast the best moments from your games. Game DVR lets you record your favorite highlights. You can then use Upload Studio to customize and show off your big victories, including adding your own voiceovers by using Kinect. Youll have a number of custom skins to choose from to make your clip stand out even more and youll have slow motion and other editing tools. Its your own editing bay for the documentary of your gaming life.

These are just a FEW of the thing that make gaming great on Xbox One. There are lots more to come, so be sure to stay tuned for more exciting details as we march towards the launch of Xbox One.
Last edited by Syphon Filter; 08-01-2013 at 08:21 PM.
FeiRR
(08-01-2013, 08:09 PM)
Because they pay you for it.
geomon
Because you get paid to be Major.
Glorified G
What's exiting about a paywall?
erpg
GAF parliamentarian
Congratulations on doing your job.
Wario64
works for Gamestop (lol)
(08-01-2013, 08:10 PM)
I heard he saw some exciting projects
Minions
I love this guy, he should try stand up. Can't wait to get my achievement for 12 commercials watched in a row.
Busty
when Jesus ain't watching Kinect will watch over you

Originally Posted by Glorified G

What's exiting about a paywall?

You can spray paint graffiti like 'boobs r rad' on it.

Kids love graffiti and ghetto blasters and such.
Ricerocket
(08-01-2013, 08:11 PM)
I don't know how anyone can take his articles seriously.
Syphon Filter

Originally Posted by ITADAKIMASU

Why not?
Festwill
Because you're paid to say you're excited.
EloquentM
aka Mannny
(08-01-2013, 08:12 PM)
I'm excited as well.

you can mail my check to 142...
professor_t
(08-01-2013, 08:13 PM)
Did they ever say anything about the proportion of games that will have dedicated servers because of this cloud stuff? Only first part stuff and major games? Everything?
Marleyman
Banned

Why is that?
Deadstar
I will enjoy reading about what he's seen.
satam55
Banned

Originally Posted by Syphon Filter

Why not?

He has really exposed himself to being nothing but a corporate shill all year.
CrunchinJelly
formerly cjelly
OP didn't even read the article himself, I guess.

There's a new Enforcement program where Gold members manage terms of use violations on Xbox Live.:

https://enforcement.xbox.com/United
Respawn
lol this guy. Thanks man.
meltingparappa
(08-01-2013, 08:14 PM)
you don't say.jpg
SirIgbyCeaser
Banned
Hey gets paid for every live subscription sold. 10 cents.
toff74
Just read his post.. Nowt wrong with that. Part info part marketing talk.

I actually like reading about these things.
Toki767
Switches aren't going to flip themselves.
Sub_Level
(08-01-2013, 08:15 PM)
Interesting tidbits, may have already been known:

Weve introduced a new kind of Achievement called a Challenge, where players and friends can work to accomplish time-based objectives resulting in winning cool free stuff. Developers can also now continue to grow and expand their achievements over time, so you have more opportunities to build up your score without being limited to the achievements on the disk. Dont forget, your Gamerscore will also carry over from Xbox 360.

Game DVR lets you record your favorite highlights. You can then use Upload Studio to customize and show off your big victories, including adding your own voiceovers by using Kinect.
iceatcs
Banned
Cool, but sometime online is not always the answer.
The Lamonster
Why I’m Excited about Online Gaming with Xbox One

by "Major" Nelson, grade 3
thesuperfunk
(08-01-2013, 08:16 PM)
But you don't have much other choice ...
Billen
Banned
Because he has seen Titanfall? :D
Kydd BlaZe
Wish the OP would've at least provided some quotes from the article. Can't access the site at work...
RedNumberFive
Banned
This man really gets under my skin.
oneida
Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
(08-01-2013, 08:17 PM)
Jesus Christ this thread is annoying. Read the damn article.
Marleyman
Banned
(08-01-2013, 08:17 PM)
The reaction to this is ridiculous. I bet most haven't even bothered to click on the link and read the damn thing. He is giving facts and some things that I haven't even heard of; it is informative and nothing else.
Hurf
(08-01-2013, 08:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Onyx GhoZt

Wish the OP would've at least provided some quotes from the article. Can't access the site at work...

Why would you want to?

And he's only excited? For what Microsoft is paying him I'd be hype as fuck.
FranXico

A lot of people took him seriously last gen, though.
Last edited by FranXico; 08-01-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo
Smon
Banned
It would have been a more believable 'personal blog post' if it didn't look like copied marketing material.
Phinor
That's a nice PR list but actually I don't like matchmaking so that eliminates two points already. I don't need 5 minute DVR because we had infinite DVR capability in games fifteen years ago and I don't care about achievements.

That's why I'm not excited. It does nothing new and forces some things I don't want forced. Also it costs money.
CambriaRising
(08-01-2013, 08:19 PM)

Originally Posted by FeiRR

That first post. Stole my comment.
statham
Banned

Originally Posted by RedNumberFive

This man really gets under my skin.

why?
Marleyman
Banned

Originally Posted by Smon

It would have been a more believable 'personal blog post' if it didn't look like copied marketing material.

Like this?
Sir Fragula

Isn't that pretty much the definition of his role? Would people bitch if the community guy for Bungie or Naughty Dog or whatever detailed why they were excited about their next game?
meppi

Originally Posted by FranXico

A lot of people took them seriously last gen, though.

Yeah, and a lot of us learned our lesson. ;)

Some still haven't it seems.
Colonel Nasty
(08-01-2013, 08:20 PM)
Of course he's a shill, he works for Microsoft. Were Tretton and other shills when Sony was making bad decisions? What do people expect him to say?
RichardAM
Kwanzaagator

First reply wins the internet again.
Averon

Originally Posted by satam55

He has really exposed himself to being nothing but a corporate shill all year.

Well, to be fair, Major is the very definition of a corporate shill. It's his job to shill for MS...literally.
Marleyman
Banned

Originally Posted by meppi

Yeah, and a lot of us learned our lesson. ;)

Some still haven't it seems.

What lesson haven't we learned? He isn't lying; he is giving out some tidbits about Xbox Live on Xbox One.
eznark
john deere tramp stamp

Perfection
Seanspeed
(08-01-2013, 08:21 PM)
Predictable bashing thread.

But really, if I was getting an Xbox One, I'd be pretty excited about the online aspects as well.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
The *Enforcement United* program sounds new, and interesting.

Members who join the Enforcement United beta will participate by providing their opinions on whether particular content, initially Gamertags, violate the Xbox Live Code of Conduct. These decisions from participants feed into an algorithm our team developed. That algorithm takes several factors into account like how many participants believe there had been a violation and how reliably those individual members’ historical decisions aligned with the general consensus. The system can then determine whether or not to apply an enforcement action like requiring a Gamertag change, or if the complaint should be escalated for one of our enforcers to review more closely.

From here. A link off the OP article.

Having some mix of algorithms and community involvement does seem to make the most sense in terms of regulating an online community as large as Xbox Live. This seems like an ever moving target though. Worth the effort all the same.

Originally Posted by Seanspeed

But really, if I was getting an Xbox One, I'd be pretty excited about the online aspects as well.

Yeah, I'd assume Xbox Live will still set the quality bar going into next gen.
Last edited by NullPointer; 08-01-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added source link. Also molested a fish.
RedNumberFive
Banned

Originally Posted by statham

why?

Because he's the physical embodiment of a man who has sold his soul and has given up forming any opinion that hasn't been spelled out to him by PR. Also, because most of his statements vary from half-truths to outright lies.
border
wears the band's shirts to the band's concerts
can't comprehend the origin of terms
(08-01-2013, 08:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Colonel Nasty

Of course he's a shill, he works for Microsoft. Were Tretton and other shills when Sony was making bad decisions? What do people expect him to say?

I think it's the personal tone that makes it so corny.

Tell me why I should be excited. Don't pretend that you're excited.
Kade
(08-01-2013, 08:22 PM)
Jeez. Microsoft threads are embarrassing.