• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Why I’m Excited about Online Gaming with Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The voiceover is kinda cool. Like if there's a boss fight or somethin you just do the walkthrough and then upload it to youtube.

Although doesn't Twitch save your stream as a "previous broadcast"? That would be more viable I would think. No time limit.

default_aspx.png

harSon

Banned
Because he's the physical embodiment of a man who has sold his soul and has given up forming any opinion that hasn't been spelled out to him by PR. Also, because most of his statements vary from half-truths to outright lies.

And? It's the equivalent of posting an article from the Playstation Blog. Yes, it's PR, but that doesn't change the fact that it contains informative information.

He has really exposed himself to being nothing but a corporate shill all year.
The word shill means that you act like you're not affiliated with a company when you really are, and promote their products on the sly. Major Nelson may be many things but he's not a shill.

And? It's the equivalent of posting an article from the Playstation Blog. Yes, it's PR, but that doesn't change the fact that it contains informative information.

People expected him to go against the grain when MS was being dumb. I don't know of any job where you can talk shit about your employer and keep working there. It's PR the same way the playstation blog is PR. Are people upset because has a face?

I predicted a lot of shit posts and trolls from people who haven't read the article. he is just providing information, I'm not sure what people are expecting.

people complained that MS didn't explain their services well enough, then when they do, he's a corporate shill?

he works for MS. he doesn't hide that. he's giving information about the xbox one. I don't see anything wrong with this.

model13

I get a lot of people don't like the X1, but bashing a guy because part of his job is to do fluff pieces is pretty dumb.

FeiRR

Banned
Isn't that pretty much the definition of his role? Would people bitch if the community guy for Bungie or Naughty Dog or whatever detailed why they were excited about their next game?

It's nothing personal or even because he's a Microsoft employee. I just don't respect people who lie for money and he did lie about the DRM being inherent part of the X1 system. Now every time I read his words I assume he's doing it again. Maybe he isn't but I can't trust a person like him.

Holy shit at the pre-emptive thread shitting. I expect lots of bans in this thread.

On topic: This sounds great. The Enforcement United tool sounds like the Tribunal from League of Legends.

statham

I get a lot of people don't like the X1, but bashing a guy because part of his job is to do fluff pieces is pretty dumb.

They are bashing the source if its anything maybe even slightly positive for Microsoft, I bet most didnot even read the OP, just the thread title. Oh well. my ignore list grows.

The only new stuff I saw in the OP article was the Enforcement United program and the new achievement challenges.

Maybe it'd be better to make a new thread on those topics instead of just this Major Nelson roundup.

Its not about *him*, is it?

paparazzo

http://majornelson.com/2013/08/01/why-im-excited-about-online-gaming-with-xbox-one/

What makes Xbox Live revolutionary on Xbox One? It’s the power. We’re investing in more than 300,000 servers to supercharge Xbox Live. With a wealth of new features and the stable service you need, Xbox Live on Xbox One offers you THE multiplayer experience to game with all of your friends.
Aw yisss. Can't wait to use all them 300,000 servers to go with my 5 billion transistors.

gaming_noob

There's nothing new in the article to show us why he's excited; his main points show what's already available with current gen consoles and is standard features by now.

Having said that, this pattern of rushing in to post the same comment, quoting each other with /thread/"flawless", i.e. usless comments is extremely tiring to sift through.

Risible

For those asking why people hate things like this:

A big part of it is the title: "Why I'm Excited About Online Gaming with XBox One." Such a title implies someone viewed the pros and cons of the thing under review and decided that they were excited about what they saw. It implies a personal nature to his conclusions.

We all know that in reality there was no such thing. It's just marketing info and nothing more. If the title were "5 Things That Will Excite You About Xbox One Online Gaming" I might be less critical of it. As it stands it's a cheap attempt to come across as someone's blog rather than an advertisement.

Curufinwe

I think his enthusiasm is genuine which is slightly terrifying, and of course he does a lot of disingenuous PR fluff, but I still like listening to his podcast.

Mrbob

I like the enforcement initiative, but I have this sinking feeling it won't work as intended and will be abused.

Kacho

With Smart Match on Xbox One, I can put in my match request, then switch over and catch up on the posts on Xbox One or watch TV or a movie. When a match is found, Xbox One tells me so I can re-enter the game instantly.

This is a very nice feature and one I expect to use a lot. A UNO/poker/peggle game would go nicely with this.

Nori Chan

I was going to join the enfroce thing until they told me I couldn't since I wasn't an XBL ambassador...Idk what that even is or how to get i

For those asking why people hate things like this:

A big part of it is the title: "Why I'm Excited About Online Gaming with XBox One." Such a title implies someone viewed the pros and cons of the thing under review and decided that they were excited about what they saw. It implies a personal nature to his conclusions.

We all know that in reality there was no such thing. It's just marketing info and nothing more. If the title were "5 Things That Will Excite You About Xbox One Online Gaming" I might be less critical of it. As it stands it's a cheap attempt to come across as someone's blog rather than an advertisement.

The post isn't disingenuous at all. People know who Major Nelson is. He isn't trying to pose as some blogger. I suspect you post the same thing in Sony PR threads right?

statham

There's nothing new in the article to show us why he's excited; his main points show what's already available with current gen consoles and is standard features by now.

Having said that, this pattern of rushing in to post the same comment, quoting each other with /thread/"flawless", i.e. usless comments is extremely tiring to sift through.

the enforcement stuff is brandnew.

Minions

Seems very exploitable. I guess people with online persona's won't want their ID's posted. Trolls will downrate the hell out of them.

No more so than the existing system.

Well it depends how it comes up. The old system was kinda buried but if this is more prominent, then it might be problematic. I would like to hear how they plan to address sore losers abusing it and hopefully it's better than the existing system not the same.

The new enforcement program is just a way to reduce their moderation. Letting members filter it out. With the more social and online nature of next gen consoles, moderation is something that will increase.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder how this thread would have went down if Cerny was talking about PS4 online features.

Hopefully these matchmaking enhancements will work out for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom