• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Why I’m Excited about Online Gaming with Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was going to be something about fun games or gameplay. Disappointed. Good policies don't drive excitement. They allow excitement to foster where it should.

On the other side of the coin, I hope this will reduce the profanity in the custom logos and such. That's pretty ridiculous. I was stoked when I found out BOII was going to have a punishment for inappropriate logos but then they revealed what it was... your logo privileges are revoked. That's not serious enough for anyone to care and thus, profanity persisted in the logos.

Gumbie

Why do the mods continually allow the same people to come in, troll, and shit up every post that has anything to do with Microsoft?

ohNOitsRO

I'm sorry if this has been posted but I had to chime in...

"The key here is that you no longer have to sit and wait for a game to match you with other players. With Smart Match on Xbox One, I can put in my match request, then switch over and catch up on the posts on Xbox One or watch TV or a movie. When a match is found, Xbox One tells me so I can re-enter the game instantly."

What a fucking joke this sentence is, how the shit is this any different from what we do now?

"Dudes, the key is that you don't have to just sit there and wait anymore for multiplayer matches!!! All you have to do is put in a smart match request, and sit there and wait!!"

Being able to multitask as I'm waiting for a multiplayer match is not the same shit as, you know, NOT having to wait for a multiplayer match..

Hoo-doo

Banned
I would edit this. Posting about peoples looks with nothing substantive is ban worthy.

Hot damn. You're on edge today junior, cool it with the backseat modding and don't take every post so goddamn personal.

If this kind of post would be ban-worthy OT-GAF would be without members entirely.

"The key here is that you no longer have to sit and wait for a game to match you with other players. With Smart Match on Xbox One, I can put in my match request, then switch over and catch up on the posts on Xbox One or watch TV or a movie. When a match is found, Xbox One tells me so I can re-enter the game instantly."

What a fucking joke this sentence is, how the shit is this any different from what we do now?

"Dudes, the key is that you don't have to just sit there and wait anymore for multiplayer matches!!! All you have to do is put in a smart match request, and sit there and wait!!"

Being able to multitask as I'm waiting for a multiplayer match is not the same shit as, you know, NOT having to wait for a multiplayer match..

Well you couldn't multitask on your Xbox 360 before unless all you wanted to do was Party Chat and play with menus. I really don't see the background matchmaking being useful until a couple years down the road when multiplayer communities are smaller for the old and niche titles. It's still a cool feature, though.

They're improving their service and this is PR that rounds up all the latest news in one place.

You can even drill into each section for more details.

Just thought I should remind folks that there is an actual article here with some new stuff, and not just Major Nelson whispering sweet nothings in our ears.

harSon

Banned

Jesus Christ. It's not like he's trying to fool you. You're just mincing words to create faux outrage. If you weren't sure what "The key here is that you no longer have to sit and wait for a game to match you with other players," means then he literally explains the meaning of the sentence after the one you have issue with.

Hot damn. You're on edge today junior, cool it with the backseat modding and don't take every post so goddamn personal.

If this kind of post would be ban-worthy OT-GAF would be without members entirely.

Same ole' people. Same ole' behavior. It gets old. I give it 10 minutes before the cat is in here with his take on why this article sucks because it was written by MN. In any case I'm out.

So, let me get this straight. Because he works for Microsoft, he can't possibly really be excited about some of the new stuff that Microsoft is doing with the Xbox One?

I learn something new everyday.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Same ole' people. Same ole' behavior. It gets old. I give it 10 minutes before the cat is in here with his take on why this article sucks because it was written by MN. In any case I'm out.

Pot, kettles and all that.

If they are shitposting continuously and you think it's substantial enough, PM a mod to take care of business. Don't call out for bans because you are too personally invested.

That smells like a preorder bonus to me.

No.

It essentially allows developers to reward challenges if the community achieves something in a set amount of time.

For example, in Halo they could have "Headshot 10,000 grunts this weekend and everyone gets double XP boosters and a weapon skin". Everyone who plays contributes to the challenge, and those who helped get the challenge reward.

They don't have any bearing on Gamerscore, so to any completionists, you don't have to worry.

It's essentially turning Halo 4's challenge system into a platform feature that all developers can use: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/intel/challenges

Alx

Well you couldn't multitask on your Xbox 360 before unless all you wanted to do was Party Chat and play with menus. I really don't see the background matchmaking being useful until a couple years down the road when multiplayer communities are smaller for the old and niche titles. It's still a cool feature, though.

I don't think we should wait long before seeing the benefit of such systems... for example, I liked playing fighting games online a lot, but even on recent games like SC5 or DOA5, playing online meant spending at least as much time waiting for a game than effectively playing. And that was a few weeks after their release.
Letting the player do something else instead of just waiting should be a standard. I think a few games like SF already had a way to let you play offline while waiting for a match, but having it as a system feature can only help spreading the idea.

ultron87

Why could we just title this "new Xbox online details" or something?

Is it weird that I wish I was eligible for the "judge people's XBL Names" program? Obviously it is just doing work for them, but it sounds like it would be fun for a bit.

Gumbie

Walls are great, they keep the Titans out.

tumblr_mcl5147hnL1r2ikcao1_250.gif

rbanke

http://majornelson.com/2013/08/01/why-im-excited-about-online-gaming-with-xbox-one/

Better Matchmaking
...The key here is that you no longer have to sit and wait for a game to match you with other players. With Smart Match on Xbox One, I can put in my match request, then switch over and catch up on the posts on Xbox One or watch TV or a movie...

I've seen this exact tidbit of PR mentioned several times. Who exactly is waiting for a match for more than a few seconds to a minute, let alone long enough to get back to a movie/TV. I can't think of any game that wasn't totally dead where this would be even remotely useful.

EDIT: I should mention, most of this looks good, this specific point keeps irritating me though.

statham

I've seen this exact tidbit of PR mentioned several times. Who exactly is waiting for a match for more than a few seconds to a minute, let alone long enough to get back to a movie/TV. I can't think of any game that wasn't totally dead where this would be even remotely useful.
If you pick a map and a certain set of rules, yes it can take awhile

AlexBasch

Hold on. Isn't Major Nelson basically a MS PR employee or did I miss something?

Because promoting the damn thing it's supposed to be his job, no?

TRios Zen

Why could we just title this "new Xbox online details" or something?

I don't think there is a problem with the title of the thread or the content of the Op, it's how its being received by a subset (but vocal) minority on GAF and sadly would likely be very similar, regardless of title.

ON topic, I'm looking forward to the changes to live and need to read more on the reputation upgrades, sounds useful.

With this system you might actually be able to find matches in games that don't have much of an online community anymore. Currently I'm not going to bother looking for online matches in some old obscure indie game but I may in the future if I can start a search and then go play a single player game or watch something on Netflix.

McLovin

MS: Ok, screw this video game business. Were getting into inflatable anime waifu w/ kung fu vagina grip.

Major Nelson: Here's why I'm excited to screw my inflatable anime waifu... it has MS patented kung fu vagina grip for maximum pleasure. Have you seen the Titan Fall waifu?

Does this have anything to do with Smart Match or is he just hyping the multi-tasking functions of the console? Watch a movie? How long does it take to match me with players via Smart Match?

I'm honestly not trying to troll or be an ass about it, it's just a weird paragraph. It basically boils down to, "You don't have to wait for matches anymore! All you have to do is watch tv while we match you to a game!" I can do that now with the little "HDMI Input" button on my TV remote...

jond76

Banned

I took it as you don't have to stare at a lobby screen while you wait, you could play peggle or watch tv. Granted, it usually doesn't take THAT long but its not a bad idea. Your rage seems... excessive?

Kade

Hold on. Isn't Major Nelson basically a MS PR employee or did I miss something?

Because promoting the damn thing it's supposed to be his job, no?

I just want to know what people were expecting from a PR representative's corporate blog. People seem surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom