• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE will host a "Creating the world of PS4" keynote at TGS 2013

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
More accurately, "the world that PlayStation 4 creates"

I'm guessing they'll walk on stage and say "The world of PS4? It's American now, deal with it" and a big sign folds out at the back of the stage saying "launching sometime 2014 with Knack and COD"

Takao

Banned
#Siren2013believe

Toyama's already said that was simply an anniversary celebration. Even if that weren't the case, I'd be shocked if they had something presentable on a project as big as a Siren PS4 game that began development a little over a year ago.

i hope you like knack and that ar thing from e3

Well, deep down is confirmed to be there, and I think I remember Nomura saying that XV and/or KH3 would be there. I'd think Japan Studios has to have some games in development as well. If not internally than at least some of their usual collaboration projects. And other third party devs have to have something in development. I'm sure Koei is already working on a new Dynasty Warriors, and NAMCO still really hasn't indicated what they'll be doing. Nagoshi also mentioned that Yakuza 5 was the last game for the PS3 and talked about moving to next-gen with the hope of showing something at TGS.

Realistically, speaking though... what can we expect?

The 'big global Japanese devs' have already showed their cards at E3 or previous showings. (MGSV, FFXV, KH, Deep Down, etc)

The other 'franchises' that has the popularity and star-power to be in next-gen have already been 'exclusified' by Nintendo. ( Sonic, Monster Hunter )

Japan Studio (both 3rd party collaboration + internal teams) is already on track to be releasing 5 games this year, which is already quite a lot. At most, they have only 2 or 3 teams that is potentially working on PS4 titles. ( one being Team ICO and the other Team Siren )

I think I echo everyone's sentiment when I say expectations on 3rd-party developers to be on the forefront of next-gen is...extremely low. (mobilemobilemobilemobilemobilemobile)

Aside from a few devs, and Sony possibly funding/publishing for some 3rd-party titles, I just can't imagine a wow showing from anyone at TGS.

No Cerny?

I hope he'll be there, I wanna hear him speak Japanese.

Endo Punk

Guardian: The Last.

Make the game a F2P download, you can just release it unfinished with microtransactions goddamn it! just let us play!

SCEJ always has the worst presentation ever. I keep my expectation at a lowest level after many disappointing TGS conferences

Realistically, speaking though... what can we expect?

The 'big global Japanese devs' have already showed their cards at E3 or previous showings. (MGSV, FFXV, KH, Deep Down, etc)

The other 'franchises' that has the popularity and star-power to be in next-gen have already been 'exclusified' by Nintendo. ( Sonic, Monster Hunter )

Japan Studio (both 3rd party collaboration + internal teams) is already on track to be releasing 5 games this year, which is already quite a lot. At most, they have only 2 or 3 teams that is potentially working on PS4 titles. ( one being Team ICO and the other Team Siren )

I think I echo everyone's sentiment when I say expectations on 3rd-party developers to be on the forefront of next-gen is...extremely low. (mobilemobilemobilemobilemobilemobile)

Aside from a few devs, and Sony possibly funding/publishing for some 3rd-party titles, I just can't imagine a wow showing from anyone at TGS.

Rumors are pointing towards SCEJ beefing up their first party development, which would make sense given they need to create compelling content in house or by working directly with third parties if they want to divert any attention away from 3DS in Japan.

If true, we could see some news on that front at TGS.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hopefully they will announce ~ Minecraft MMO with the ability of users to use Move controllers to mold every object they desire [that Media Molecule demo].

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TGS keynotes can be very, very bland and unexciting. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I believe they've been a lightning rod for disappointment. They're not like E3 keynotes.

I expect little or no new game news. Probably a mix of platform level stuff already discussed at other shows, but now for a Japanese audience.

TGS keynotes can be very, very bland and unexciting. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I believe they've been a lightning rod for disappointment. They're not like E3 keynotes.

I expect little or no new game news. Probably a mix of platform level stuff already discussed at other shows, but now for a Japanese audience.

I believe this is typically how it goes as well, though Dark Souls was announced at a Sony TGS keynote, iirc, as "Project Dark".

Takao

Banned
id really love Sony to have more Japanese games on the ps4 like the ps vita has had.

The only Japanese games on Vita are either ports/multis from PSP/PS3/PS2 or games from niche companies. I guess PS4 could get the first, but I hesitate to think the later will want to rush into PS4 development when PS3 and Vita are quite viable with lower costs.

I think every body should keep an eye on From Software. The development on Dark Soul 2 will be over soon so TGS may be the right time to announce a new project.

JordanN

Banned
Please let this be entirely about Japanese developed games. That's all i'm asking for.
I actually wonder if Japan will try.

HD consoles did them in good so if they do show up I'm expecting "safe" bets like Soul Calibur or Hot Shots Golf.

Might have to get use to a Japan only capable of PS2 graphics for the near future. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.

what constitutes a wow showing? 4 exclusives? 5? 6?

That depends on the individual. I guess I'm just a bit jaded, given the state of the Japanese gaming scene.

Personally, I would say 2 first-party exclusives, & one next-gen title each from the big publisher/dev that's catered more to the Japanese market. ( like Tales, Yakuza, etc )

PS3 is the leading home console in Japan now so I'm sure Sony will not disappoint Japanese audiences with PS4. They must have something very Japanese for PS4 at launch otherwise it will be a massive fuck-up.

Honestly, I don't even care if they don't try that hard. They don't need to be Square Enix in trying to flex next-gen graphical muscle. ( they don't have the money to anyway )

Level 5 could do it. Tales Studio could do it. Gust could do it. Hell, Compile Heart could do it.

Just build on an aesthetic & style that works & do it well.

HD consoles did them in good so if they do show up I'm expecting "safe" bets like Soul Calibur or Hot Shots Golf.

Might have to get use to a Japan only capable of PS2 graphics for the near future. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm ok with this!!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
PS3 is the leading home console in Japan now so I'm sure Sony will not disappoint Japanese audiences with PS4. They must have something very Japanese for PS4 at launch otherwise it will be a massive fuck-up.

Final Fantasy? Metal Gear?

Top Bottom