• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE will host a "Creating the world of PS4" keynote at TGS 2013

The 'big global Japanese devs' have already showed their cards at E3 or previous showings. (MGSV, FFXV, KH, Deep Down, etc)

A large amount of the really great Japanese games aren't from the big devs, or at least not from established brands. At this point there really aren't many Japanese games announced for any of the next-gen consoles. So there's at least a lot the could be announced

Level-5 - They have an event coming up on the 26th, and they've already stated that they have a PS4 game in development.

Capcom - deep down is the only Japanese developed next-gen game that they've announced so far. They're definitely one of the devs that'll be putting out more on the consoles, so TGS would certainly be a place for them to show whatever they have.

Square - I wouldn't expect much from them in terms of anything new. At least not on consoles.

Sega - Nothing announced. But as I said, Nagoshi has said that he wants to show something at TGS.

Tecmo Koei - Nothing. Dynasty Warriors seems like a lock. Gust usually chooses to announce their new games a few months before their release, so I wouldn't expect to hear anything from them.

NAMCO - Nothing. It doesn't seem like Tales is budging from the PS3 anytime soon, and this seems like it'll be the first time that a Sony platform hasn't launched with a Ridge Racer. They're a big mystery right now.

From Software - Miyazaki is working on something new and there's no word on a next-gen version of Dark Souls 2. Whether they announce something could go either way.

Sony - A former employee confirmed that TLG was moved to the PS4 several years ago, but who knows when the hell that'll be re-announced. Hot Shots is an easy pick for the Japanese market. It isn't as big as it used to be, but it's hard to tell if that's just a drop in popularity or due to it being launched on underperforming platforms. There will probably be some other collaboration with a third party as well.

Busty

Banned
Given SCE Japan's output this generation are we sure the keynote at TGS isn't called "Creating the world of PS4?"

Given SCE Japan's output this generation are we sure the keynote at TGS isn't called "Creating the world of PS4?"

Let's hope Allan Becker works.

He joined as the head of Studio Japan in April 2011, so 2013/2014 will be decisive years to see how much Studio Japan have changed since the more lack-lustre early years.

Still can't figure out why people want a sequel to this. Maybe it hasn't aged well or something but its seems so generic to me. Or are people just jrpg starved? :)
I know how you feel. It wasn't a bad game but I'd always been annoyed at my local game store for convincing me to buy LOD instead of FFIX.

Elios83

Realistically, speaking though... what can we expect?

The 'big global Japanese devs' have already showed their cards at E3 or previous showings. (MGSV, FFXV, KH, Deep Down, etc)

I think I echo everyone's sentiment when I say expectations on 3rd-party developers to be on the forefront of next-gen is...extremely low. (mobilemobilemobilemobilemobilemobile)

Aside from a few devs, and Sony possibly funding/publishing for some 3rd-party titles, I just can't imagine a wow showing from anyone at TGS.

I don't think this is true. So far we only know about Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and KH.
But of course Japan is much more than those titles.
Capcom still hasn't announced any big next gen titles, Deep Down as we have learned recently is an online game developed by their online division.
Same goes for Tecmo Koei (Omega Force, Team Ninja), Namco (recently there have been hints at Soul Calibur next), Sega (Yakuza), Level 5, From Software, Atlus (which might be even part of Sega or an other company by the time TGS happens). The same Sony still has japanese teams to announce games (Hot Shot Golf, Siren team, Gravity Rush team and of course......Team Ico).
So as you can see there is a lot of potential for announcements.

With this being said....I'm not sure if a keynote is actually good news....keynotes are NOT gaming conferences. They're used to announce visions and make general speeches. What we don't know is if they're still planning to make that private event to make japanese focused announcements. Maybe someone should ask Yoshida if this keynote is going to be that event or if they're still planning to make something separate.

mrjohill

I know how you feel. It wasn't a bad game but I'd always been annoyed at my local game store for convincing me to buy LOD instead of FFIX.

FFIX is my favorite game of all time but LOD's addition battle system was just so enjoyable. I would love to see that in another game.

Coxy

Playstation Home for PS4!

Still can't figure out why people want a sequel to this. Maybe it hasn't aged well or something but its seems so generic to me. Or are people just jrpg starved? :)

I will take an enjoyable generic rpg a million times over all the ones doing stupid shit and awful plot twists in the name of uniqueness :)

Really hoping for some good announcements at TGS

boothisman.gif

You are right. ;)

Who wants to bet people will still hype it up, journalists will go there expecting announcements and then everyone will pan it when it turns into a more general "vision for the industry" discussion? Happens every single time someone of importance hosts the official keynotes, yet no-one ever learns.

If they announce anything new, it'll either be at a separate event or in Famitsu.

Amir0x

Banned
That depends on the individual. I guess I'm just a bit jaded, given the state of the Japanese gaming scene.

Personally, I would say 2 first-party exclusives, & one next-gen title each from the big publisher/dev that's catered more to the Japanese market. ( like Tales, Yakuza, etc )

6 damn it. I want it all.

Haha.

I know it depends on the individual, I was just trying to qualify what the line would be for a spectacular show.

Between Gamescom and TGS (and the VGAs), they have at least 15 first year exclusives that need to be announced. That's what we know. So depending on how they split the exclusives, they could have 5 major exclusives per show, or maybe they'll let VGA introduce Naughty Dog's newest game and have 6 or 7 exclusives per TGS and Gamescom.

Sony really has it made strategically right now with the amount of games they've held back.

KAL2006

Banned
Didn't we have a GAF insider before saying that there are 2 JRPGs in development internal at Sony? or am I just remembering wrong, there were other stuff this GAFer said like a new Sly game, WRPG and etc.

Dusky

Haha.

I know it depends on the individual, I was just trying to qualify what the line would be for a spectacular show.

Between Gamescom and TGS (and the VGAs), they have at least 15 first year exclusives that need to be announced. That's what we know. So depending on how they split the exclusives, they could have 5 major exclusives per show, or maybe they'll let VGA introduce Naughty Dog's newest game and have 6 or 7 exclusives per TGS and Gamescom.

Sony really has it made strategically right now with the amount of games they've held back.

What makes you think the remaining exclusives will be major releases? For all we know half of them could be smaller scale titles like Hohokum. It hasn't even been clarified if these game are "PS4-only" either, a lot of them could turn out to be cross-platform games.

Didn't we have a GAF insider before saying that there are 2 JRPGs in development internal at Sony? or am I just remembering wrong, there were other stuff this GAFer said like a new Sly game, WRPG and etc.

Verendus said JRPG game was at early stage and SCEJ was currently forming a team (If I remember correctly?)

Amir0x

Banned
What makes you think the remaining exclusives will be major releases? For all we know half of them could be smaller scale titles like Hohokum. It hasn't even been clarified if these game are "PS4-only" either, a lot of them could turn out to be cross-platform games.

Well obviously some of them are bound to be "smaller scale", but I don't view them any differently than I view a more major exclusive. It's about quality, not size. I'd consider a high quality 2 hour game as major as a high quality 12 hour game (same as I consider "Below" for Xbox One as major as "Killer Instinct" for Xbox One).

That said, the reason why it's sure most of these games are bound to be bigger in scale is simply process of elimination. We know Sony currently has 30 games total in development at Sony WWS for PS4. Of those, 20 is supposedly coming out in the first year. When we do a break down of what studios and teams are accounted for, there are still a massive amount of teams who are accustomed to making big projects that are simply unaccounted for project-wise.

So while I am positive they have smaller scale stuff to announce within this number, I'm fairly confident most of them are substantially budgeted projects. You'll see shortly, though :)

My body is ready. I'm not sure if I'm hopeful yet but it would be nice if TGS could get back to being pretty good. Hopefully Sony's been reaching out Japanese devs like they have all these western devs.

One of the other posts got me thinking, I wonder if we'll finally see a new solo project from Tri-Ace since they were on the dev list back in February.

Yup, Verendus. Though I believe he was implying that the bigger of the two probably won't be ready yet since it's earlier in development with a bigger internal team trying to reach FF production levels etc.? I think the other was the Demons' Souls evolution.

I would like to hear them announce the formation of some new first party studios.

Yeah, I doubt it but it would be really nice if they'd put together another Japanese studio, hopefully that big JRPG project works out and that can become a first party JRPG team, if the team turns out to be any good (very curious who's doing the art, writing and directing).

Endo Punk

Haha.

They will definitely not show all the exclusives this year and will most certainly save a few for E3 2014. Showing 15 this year is overkill and it will hurt them early next year when people start saying they have nothing new to show.

Amir0x

Banned
They will definitely not show all the exclusives this year and will most certainly save a few for E3 2014. Showing 15 this year is overkill and it will hurt them early next year when people start saying they have nothing new to show.

It's not all their exclusives though. They can show 15 exclusives and still have tons of games to show for E3 2014, that's how much they have in their stable.

People are not understanding the depth and size of Sony's WWS and the games they have to make and be revealed as of yet.

Sony has said they currently have 30 games in development at their WWS for PS4. That's altogether, currently. That means they have 25 games they haven't announced yet that are exclusive (The Order, InFamous, DriveClub, Knack, Killzone: Shadowfall are all we have currently). They still have 15 first year exclusives for PS4 to announce (out of the twenty first year exclusives, twelve of them are said to be new IPs). That would still leave an additional 10 PS4 games in development that are not slated for first year release that they could still reveal at E3 2014.

And of course, all that is not taking into consideration that as the months go on, more and more devs that have PS3 projects will be finishing those up and will begin to get free for PS4 development. So by the time E3 2014 comes around, it's likely they'll have even MORE games in development for the PS4/Vita ecosystem, and that number will only be ticking steadily upward.

KAL2006

Banned
1. Drive Club
2. Knack
3. Killzone Shadowfall
4. inFamous Second Son
5. The Order 1866
6. Giant Sparrow PSN game
7. Housemarque PSN game
8. Hohokum PSN game
9. Until Dawn PS4/PS3
10. Santa Monica new IP
11. Guerilla Games new IP
12. Media Molecule new IP
13. Uncharted 4
14. AR game by London or 3rd party contracted
15. Move game by Zindagi
16. PSN game by Wish Studios
17. PSN game by Tarsier Studios
18. PSN game by Ovosonico
19. Hot Shots game
20. MLB
21. The Last Guardian
22. Gran Turismo 6 XL

Some possibilities what the 15 games could be.

Well obviously some of them are bound to be "smaller scale", but I don't view them any differently than I view a more major exclusive. It's about quality, not size. I'd consider a high quality 2 hour game as major as a high quality 12 hour game (same as I consider "Below" for Xbox One as major as "Killer Instinct" for Xbox One).

That said, the reason why it's sure most of these games are bound to be bigger in scale is simply process of elimination. We know Sony currently has 30 games total in development at Sony WWS for PS4. Of those, 20 is supposedly coming out in the first year. When we do a break down of what studios and teams are accounted for, there are still a massive amount of teams who are accustomed to making big projects that are simply unaccounted for project-wise.

So while I am positive they have smaller scale stuff to announce within this number, I'm fairly confident most of them are substantially budgeted projects. You'll see shortly, though :)

Yeah, even a conservative estimate would put Sony towards having at least 4 'AAA-class' releases, unannounced.

1. ND game by Uncharted 3 team.
2. GG's new IP.
3. Media Molecule new IP.
4. Sony Santa Monica new IP.

And looking by Sony's previous co-development initiatives, they've always worked with at least 2 or 3 third-parties on major titles as well, like Heavenly Sword & White Knight Chronicles to make up for their own 1st party studios.

Personally, I would say that 6-8 'major titles' is still a decent assumption of what's left for Sony's unannounced exclusives. Which is a good amount, considering that they've got 3 first-party AAA-titles releasing this year for the PS3. (GoW, TLoU, GT6)

Of course, for the rest of the announcements, we'd probably get our usual expected titles, mid-tier exclusives and PSN-ish titles, MLB : The Show 2014, Singstar PS4, one or two Move games & a few more smaller scale co-development titles.

I can't remember, but was Sony's WWS teams ever credited alongside the 3rd-parties like Wish & Tarsier for those titles?

Unless for the sake of 'bulking up their exclusive count', Sony threw one guy over to those 3rd-parties as a supervisor just to credit them as 'part of WWS' :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I can't get enough PS4 news. gimme gimme gimme

Deadstar

Imagine this my friends.

TGS 2013 Sony opens with the next BLOODY ROAR sequel, with ultra realistic elephant and tiger graphics!

I would like to hear them announce the formation of some new first party studios.

First off, you realise there's absolutely no chance of this happening, right? Sony hasn't formed a new studio for over a decade.

Second, why on earth would you want this in the first place? Sony's strategy of working with second party studios and then buying them out if they prove themselves competent and successful has worked fantastically, whereas founding new studios from scratch is enormously expensive and a giant risk.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, even a conservative estimate would put Sony towards having at least 4 'AAA-class' releases, unannounced.

1. ND game by Uncharted 3 team.
2. GG's new IP.
3. Media Molecule new IP.
4. Sony Santa Monica new IP.

And looking by Sony's previous co-development initiatives, they've always worked with at least 2 or 3 third-parties on major titles as well, like Heavenly Sword & White Knight Chronicles to make up for their own 1st party studios.

Naughty Dog's new game I definitely think will be the one that gets the VGA treatment. That seems to be how it has been done the past few years, so since that has worked fairly well for them I think they'll do it again.

IIRC one of our insiders said Level 5 was working on an exclusive for PS4, so that'd be one such third party collaboration. Another trusted insider said they exchanged Sonic for one or two major exclusives from SEGA, so who knows where that might go.

I'm curious to see Sony's apparent big budget jRPG they're making, and Demon Soul's 2 if that comes to fruition like many, many people have hinted at.

An exciting time to be a gamer, no doubt about that :D

Personally, I would say that 6-8 'major titles' is still a decent assumption of what's left for Sony's unannounced exclusives. Which is a good amount, considering that they've got 3 first-party AAA-titles releasing this year for the PS3. (GoW, TLoU, GT6)

Of course, for the rest of the announcements, we'd probably get our usual expected titles, mid-tier exclusives and PSN-ish titles, MLB : The Show 2014, Singstar PS4, one or two Move games & a few more smaller scale co-development titles.

Well yeah, MLB I suspect will definitely be one of them. Although I'd call that "Major", considering how damn good those baseball games are and that it's like the only competent one left on the market. They should make this one about Steroid abuse though ;)

Definitely we're overdue for a move game or two - Media Molecule's definitely, for example.

1. inFAMOUS: Second Son
2. Knack
3. Killzone: Shadowfall
4. DriveClub
5. The Order
6. Media Molecule Move Game
7. Sony's Big Budget jRPG
8. New IP
9. New IP
10. New IP
11. New IP
12. New IP

[Speculation]

13. MLB 2014
14. Hot Shots Golf?
15. New Uncharted?
16. Last Guardian?
17. Demon Soul's 2?
18. ???
19. ???
20. ???
21. ???
22. ???
23. ???
24. ???
25. ???
26. ???
27. ???
28. ???
29. ???
30. ???

Just so many potential variations on what they're going to be offering amongst what they've currently announced as their development number. It's incredibly exciting when you consider just how big and talented Sony is these days with their development.

I can't remember, but was Sony's WWS teams ever credited alongside the 3rd-parties like Wish & Tarsier for those titles?

Unless for the sake of 'bulking up their exclusive count', Sony threw one guy over to those 3rd-parties as a supervisor just to credit them as 'part of WWS' :p

Hah. I hope they do focus on smaller projects like RAIN and stuff, just because they have a lot of big unannounced stuff in the pipeline doesn't mean they shouldn't continue being bold with the direction of their development. It's what I did admire about PS3 Sony... because even though I didn't always agree that their experiments were successful, they were easily amongst the most bold publishers this past gen. They really well.

1. Drive Club
2. Knack
3. Killzone Shadowfall
4. inFamous Second Son
5. The Order 1866
6. Giant Sparrow PSN game
7. Housemarque PSN game
8. Hohokum PSN game
9. Until Dawn PS4/PS3
10. Santa Monica new IP
11. Guerilla Games new IP
12. Media Molecule new IP
13. Uncharted 4
14. AR game by London or 3rd party contracted
15. Move game by Zindagi
16. PSN game by Wish Studios
17. PSN game by Tarsier Studios
18. PSN game by Ovosonico
19. Hot Shots game
20. MLB
21. The Last Guardian
22. Gran Turismo 6 XL

Interesting indeed. Who is Wish studios?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
TGS is rarely interesting or exciting.

I think Gamescom will be where we get the majority of surprises not shown at E3, in addition to more footage of games already shown.

Amir0x

Banned
TGS is rarely interesting or exciting.

I think Gamescom will be where we get the majority of surprises not shown at E3, in addition to more footage of games already shown.

Rarely interesting, but I do think Sony plans to make it interesting this year. Earlier in June 15, 2013, Hiroshi Ueda had said Sony may be planning a 'pre-TGS show' in which games made for their Japanese studios and perhaps aimed more toward Japanese markets will be announced there. Since they now announced their TGS conference is called "Creating the World of PS4", I think the strategy is going to play out just like they said. At this show they will focus on games which have special appeal to the Japanese markets. I suspect games like THE LAST GUARDIAN will be revealed there, if indeed it still exists.

DJIzana

I'm always pretty excited about TGS. Sucks the last two have been disappointing but with the new generation of games, I imagine there's a chance to see some pretty interesting stuff at hand. =)

I like the way you think, Amir0x. Hope you're right about this stuff.

I think Sony is going to come out with a bang at both upcoming shows. EU is such a strong market for them overall, and they have a chance to punch back hard in the only area where MS is beating them now, the UK. And you've got to think they're going to throw as much software at the PS4 in Japan as possible.

Glad to see things are finally picking up for the PS4 again.

There has been practically nothing new since E3 and that is NOT a good thing when you are launching a new console.

Endo Punk

Though the launch games don't quite show it I have to say judging by the games in development and system itself, Sony has never been more prepared for a console launch. I swear it's like they just entered the industry and are out for blood lol.

Imagine this my friends.

TGS 2013 Sony opens with the next BLOODY ROAR sequel, with ultra realistic elephant and tiger graphics!

Don't play with my heart.

There has been practically nothing new since E3 and that is NOT a good thing when you are launching a new console.

I was actually surprised nothing of note came out from them at Comicon

Amir0x

Banned
I like the way you think, Amir0x. Hope you're right about this stuff.

I think Sony is going to come out with a bang at both upcoming shows. EU is such a strong market for them overall, and they have a chance to punch back hard in the only area where MS is beating them now, the UK. And you've got to think they're going to throw as much software at the PS4 in Japan as possible.

As a fan of strategy, I've really been impressed with how Sony has been handling things. They let Microsoft shoot their load and showed excellent restraint at E3, allowing themselves to win the show with relatively few new big games announced (compared to the competition, that is). They allowed the positive buzz they engendered from their fans to sweep them through E3 with only 2 or so major exclusives from Sony WWS revealed, alongside the third party stuff.

Now they have so much content left to reveal they have a completely dominate game unveiling strategy from now until at least the middle of 2014. At this juncture it's going to be literally impossible for MS or Nintendo to match them at Gamescom, let alone TGS. Sony simply has too much WWS stuff left to unveil.

I can't remember the last TGS was actually good.

Me either. Every year it seems to get worse, actually. Generally the news that gets announced in Famitsu leading up to TGS is more interesting these days lol

That said, I think this year will be a bit different. At least from Sony's perspective. I'm not even sure Microsoft is launching in Japan this year or next. And Nintendo rarely does a big TGS show. But Sony has something to be prove, I think. Wants to continue to be seen as a global brand with global penetration.

Man gamers have to be the least patient bunch on Earth. It's been only like a month and a half since E3, and a new show is right around the corner, and people are acting like Sony has all but shot its PS4 momentum in the foot or something :p

Dang guys, companies can't have new major shows every week ;) It's coming, bump-bump-bump.

Endo Punk

Did multiple people really hint at Demon's Souls 2? I thought it was only verendus

Speaking of Demon's Souls I am shocked someone like Yoshida who has been in the industry for close to 20 years and contributed towards the creation of many unique titles found Demon's Souls too "out there" for western tastes thus not publishing it here. I hope he never makes this mistake again and to make amends he really should give us a Demon's Souls 2 with the return of the maiden in black :D

Top Bottom