• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE will host a "Creating the world of PS4" keynote at TGS 2013

androvsky

Is Atlus for sale separately, or would they have to buy Index as a whole? Because Index, last I checked, had a ton of very random investments that'd make it a poor purchase for pretty much any sane company.

Actually, now that I look up what they own, it'd be a pretty good fit for Sony minus the French stadium and football team. The anime studio would be a great way to troll the guy that keeps saying Sony needs to spin off their movie division.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't know if Altus's a good investment, though.

Their 'handheld' team has never worked on a non-Nintendo platform before, so they'd be starting on a new slate without any of their prior DS/3DS fanbase... and even then, the sales were never outstanding. (Devil Survivor)

The Persona team is definitely quite... 'valuable', from a brand perspective, but that doesn't change the fact that Persona games sell below 1mil, and is relatively 'niche'. Furthermore, they don't have the most flattering 'development time' between major releases. A 'one-million sales' game every 3-4 years is not exactly a very good investment.

Furthermore, Atlus's never been at the forefront of HD development. Their next Persona game is almost surely a PS3 game, and I highly doubt it'll be graphically impressive either, based off Catherine.

Well I was half joking, but I do believe much of these problems don't have to be problems. For example, there's no reason Sony can't simply allow Atlus to continue doing what they're doing for Nintendo handhelds. Microsoft for example allowed some of their properties to be developed into handheld titles. Now of course Sony has the Vita, but that's going to be dead soon anyway! But in that case, if Sony doesn't want to allow dev on Nintendo handhelds, it wouldn't be particularly difficult for them to catch the Atlus teams who are unfamiliar with other hardware and get them used to Vita.

Frankly, I don't care about what fanboys are cooing about - exclusive this or exclusive that. What I want is preservation. I do believe a company like Sony has better odds at keeping Atlus as it is now with relatively few changes than many of the others on the list. If GungHo can't get 'em, if SEGA can't get 'em, then Sony would probably be my next choice. Additionally, it's not always about pure sales. What a company like Atlus does is diversify a catalogue, allows the niches to be filled with high quality titles for a very specific audience. And this makes the argument about a system being for "everyone" ring much more authentically, and this starts building the consumer base little by little. This is almost as important as having those pure million sellers, as far as I'm concerned.

But it's all fantasy. I wasn't being serious since as far as I know Sony is not seriously in the running for Atlus.

My body is ready. I'm not sure if I'm hopeful yet but it would be nice if TGS could get back to being pretty good. Hopefully Sony's been reaching out Japanese devs like they have all these western devs.

One of the other posts got me thinking, I wonder if we'll finally see a new solo project from Tri-Ace since they were on the dev list back in February.

Yup, Verendus. Though I believe he was implying that the bigger of the two probably won't be ready yet since it's earlier in development with a bigger internal team trying to reach FF production levels etc.? I think the other was the Demons' Souls evolution.

Yeah, I doubt it but it would be really nice if they'd put together another Japanese studio, hopefully that big JRPG project works out and that can become a first party JRPG team, if the team turns out to be any good (very curious who's doing the art, writing and directing).

I would really like to hear a detailed account of the team members working on the JRPG. On a side note, I'm curious as to what happened to the Shadow Hearts team and where they ended up.

Pretty sure if Demon Soul's 2 is real - and there is a whole helluva lot of smoke now - Sony would be doing a whole heck of a lot to make sure it comes to be.
In some other thread there was a post linking to a claim to have played an unrevealed PS4 game whose initial are "KF:I2". That could be "King's Field" something. So rather than putting out a Demon's Souls 2 alongside Dark Souls II, it'd be Sony/From going back to the IP that inspired Demon's Souls in the first place. That also would make sense given it's also a historical Playstation-based franchise.

But I'm only speculating. Like any random unsourced rumor, it's more likely to be made up than true.

Reveirg

So is there a consensus on whether sony still has news for this one?

And do we have an exact time for this conference?

Well it seemed that Pre-TGS conference was to get some of the non-PS4 news out the way.

Seeing as Knack and The Puppeteer are almost out and out respectively, SCEJ will have other things going into full-on production before 2014. We might hear some of that announced.

And beyond that no doubt the Japan arm of WWS has the same external kind of budget that the US and Europe have - which is to say there will be some partnerships.

Deep Down is supposedly one, but surely Level 5 and From Software are existing relationships that will be fostered.

Takao

Banned
Well it seemed that Pre-TGS conference was to get some of the non-PS4 news out the way.

Seeing as Knack and The Puppeteer are almost out and out respectively, SCEJ will have other things going into full-on production before 2014. We might hear some of that announced.

And beyond that no doubt the Japan arm of WWS has the same external kind of budget that the US and Europe have
- which is to say there will be some partnerships.

Deep Down is supposedly one, but surely Level 5 and From Software are existing relationships that will be fostered.

I'm not sure as to where you got that indication.

SaSliXCII

Banned
I don't think we'll see anything particularly massive, it'll just be more Final Fantasy and MGS, along with Yakuza and some other games that won't be localised.

Am i right in thinking that they won't have a press conference, since they've just done their pre TGS one a couple of days ago, or was that because they have a lot to announce so they didn't want to interrupt it with just release dates etc?

I can dream right?! xD

Kojima has confirmed there will be a stage demo of MGSV at Sony booth.
Maybe we will get something like press conference at their booth. Remember Project Dark aka Dark Souls

I'm not sure as to where you got that indication.

The finance each arm of SCE has assigned to development is pure speculation on my part (saying SCEJ have the same amount to spend as SCEE might be untrue). But the concept that SCEA, SCEE and SCEJ have development budgets is just common sense. SCEE will have a budget of let's say 350 million to be funding all the games it's currently fostering. Some of that will be assigned internally, and some externally.

So far, both SCEA and SCEE have demonstrated they're partnering with external studios. And there is a precedent of SCEJ partnering with external developers too, so I'm not sure as to where you got any other impression.

KoopaTheCasual

Yosp said no more news.

You mean the twitter addict and troll? lol

I hope this keynote will detail the specs of the ps4 and get some more word on apps. Would also hope there's another reveal, game-wise, if only one. You can't have a jam packed conference the week before TGS and then bring nothing new to TGS.

And beyond that no doubt the Japan arm of WWS has the same external kind of budget that the US and Europe have - which is to say there will be some partnerships.

i don't know where you get that impression, for me it is more obvious that they get much less budget than their western counterpart, most of their (console) game looks like as if they made with the budget spread thin., they more focused on handheld, there is much less 1st party jrpg, not even a wild arms sequel etc etc.

Takao

Banned
The finance each arm of SCE has assigned to development is pure speculation on my part (saying SCEJ have the same amount to spend as SCEE might be untrue). But the concept that SCEA, SCEE and SCEJ have development budgets is just common sense. SCEE will have a budget of let's say 350 million to be funding all the games it's currently fostering. Some of that will be assigned internally, and some externally.

So far, both SCEA and SCEE have demonstrated they're partnering with external studios. And there is a precedent of SCEJ partnering with external developers too, so I'm not sure as to where you got any other impression.

I was questioning your comment on them having equal funding to the western arms, not that they do partnership projects. The majority of what SCE Japan Studio does are partnership projects.

I was questioning your comment on them having equal funding to the western arms, not that they do partnership projects. The majority of what SCE Japan Studio does are partnership projects.

Yeah, maybe that was a bit silly of me. But I look at their output and certainly in a year like this there's plenty of reason to believe their budget is similar. How it's divided between handheld and console development might be a VERY different story.

SCEJ will have developed 3 home console games releasing this year. So, I dunno, they're doing better than SCEE this year.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, maybe that was a bit silly of me. But I look at their output and certainly in a year like this there's plenty of reason to believe their budget is similar. How it's divided between handheld and console development might be a VERY different story.

SCEJ will have developed 3 home console games releasing this year. So, I dunno, they're doing better than SCEE this year.

Knack, Puppeteer and ???

KAL2006

Banned
Sony Japan recently released Puppeteer

They have the following upcoming
Soul Sacrifice update
Rain
Freedom Wars
Destiny of Spirits
Knack
The Last Guardian lol

I really doubt they have anything new to announce. Perhaps Gravity Rush 2 and a new Hot Shots game.

Gran Turismo 6.

I was going with this one, rather than Rain, but yeah, their output certainly isn't bad.

Soul Sacrifice update
Rain
Freedom Wars
Destiny of Spirits
Knack
The Last Guardian lol

I really doubt they have anything new to announce. Perhaps Gravity Rush 2 and a new Hot Shots game.

I definitely disagree. They have more to announce, no doubt.

Soul Sacrifice update
Rain
Freedom Wars
Destiny of Spirits
Knack
The Last Guardian lol

Rain, Detiny of Spirits and Soulsac are sony published but not japan studio made.

Dark_castle

iPPKwL8eJ6a8l.gif

Toyama's already said that was simply an anniversary celebration. Even if that weren't the case, I'd be shocked if they had something presentable on a project as big as a Siren PS4 game that began development a little over a year ago.

I would die of happiness if this were to ever happen at all.

Majmun

A Demon's Souls 2 would be crazy. I'd love to see that.

I've heard people complaing about the idea of a Demon's Souls sequel because we already have Dark Souls. Why a DeSouls 2 when we got Dark Souls?

Make me want to think... Why Battlefield/Killzone/TitanFall when we got Call of Duty/Medal of Honor/Destiny?

These two franchises could perfectly co-exists. And to be frank, I'd rather see more Demon's Souls copies. Dark Souls isn't enough. We need MORE

Takao

Banned
A Demon's Souls 2 would be crazy. I'd love to see that.

I've heard people complaing about the idea of a Demon's Souls sequel because we already have Dark Souls. Why a DeSouls 2 when we got Dark Souls?

Make me want to think... Why Battlefield/Killzone/TitanFall when we got Call of Duty/Medal of Honor/Destiny?

These two franchises could perfectly co-exists. And to be frank, I'd rather see more Demon's Souls copies. Dark Souls isn't enough. We need MORE

Well, the three FPS franchises you mentioned aren't from the same developer. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are both From Software games.

I-hate-u

Soul Sacrifice update
Rain
Freedom Wars
Destiny of Spirits
Knack
The Last Guardian lol

Japan Team is a 400+ team and some of the games you listed are not made by them. They are surely working on some un-announced projects

Top Bottom