• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE will host a "Creating the world of PS4" keynote at TGS 2013

Amir0x

Banned
I believe that the DS2 was also hinted by a dev who was demonstrating Dark Souls 2 during E3 as well.

http://youtu.be/6TMZyj7B734?t=8m22s

That along with Miyazaki not being directly involved with Dark Souls 2 makes it a strong possibility.

Oh, missed that. Seems there's tons of smoke now. I think fire might just exist. As far as I'm concerned, given the amount of hints and the combined trust of our NeoGAF insiders, I'd say it's as good as guaranteed now.

Which is amazing. If Sony can leverage that as a PS4 exclusive... it'll be brilliant. Especially if it follows the structure of the original Demon Souls, which I think we can all agree is distinct from Dark Souls. it'd be amazing to have two franchises like that each which function structurally in distinct ways!

Endo Punk

Demon's Souls 2 needs to retain the PWWT and PBWT. Man when this gets announced shit is going to hit the fan. No disrespect to Dark Souls but Demon's is my favourite game of last gen. Besides if all the similar FPS can co-exist so can these two.

B.O.O.M

Yes, multiple insiders. Not just Verendus. Although it is possible they all have the same source for all I know...

Yeah after a while it's hard to keep track of what was said by whom nowadays.

Speaking of Demon's Souls I am shocked someone like Yoshida who has been in the industry for close to 20 years and contributed towards the creation of many unique titles found Demon's Souls too "out there" for western tastes thus not publishing it here. I hope he never makes this mistake again and to make amends he really should give us a Demon's Souls 2 with the return of the maiden in black :D

Yeah I'm not really sure the line of thinking there either. Maybe he thought that the game is too difficult to have an audience beyond a small niche one. At least now he and the others at SCE know better.

I believe that DS2 was also hinted by a dev who was demonstrating Dark Souls 2 during E3 as well.

http://youtu.be/6TMZyj7B734?t=8m22s

That along with Miyazaki not being directly involved with Dark Souls 2 makes it a strong possibility.

Thank you for that. Very interesting. Would be one of the smarter things sony has done in recent times when it comes to software..if true.

klee123

Oh, missed that. Seems there's tons of smoke now. I think fire might just exist. As far as I'm concerned, given the amount of hints and the combined trust of our NeoGAF insiders, I'd say it's as good as guaranteed now.

Which is amazing. If Sony can leverage that as a PS4 exclusive... it'll be brilliant. Especially if it follows the structure of the original Demon Souls, which I think we can all agree is distinct from Dark Souls. it'd be amazing to have two franchises like that each which function structurally in distinct ways!

I agree since if Sony nurtures the IP properly, it would be an additional feather to their cap for their Japanese publishing portfolio.

Now all they need is wrpgs and then they would have all genres covered.

Amir0x

Banned
I agree since if Sony nurtures the IP properly, it would be an additional feather to their cap for their Japanese publishing portfolio.

Now all they need is wrpgs and then they would have all genres covered.

That's one thing, Sony has a wide range of diverse genres covered. That's what they're best at. With the supposedly big budget jRPG they're working on and Demon Soul's 2, they'd have just about every base left covered. Shit if they revived Parappa for PSN, they'd even have the music genre covered lol

Endo Punk

A proper Ape Escape would be a godsend! The franchise is apparently their 2nd best selling after GT so it's crazy we haven't seen the 4th one in a whole generation. Make it happen on PS4 Sony.

B.O.O.M

I just want Ridge Racer. And a fighting game. If Tekken can't happen, then give me Toshinden W, Tobal No. 3 whatever you gotta do.

I hope they get the rights to a fighting IP like Bloody Roar and give the project to Seth..I mean what the hell is he up to anyways?!

I would be really curious in seeing what the hell Demons souls 2 is and how they separate Demons and Dark souls.

Dark souls used a bunch of stuff from Demon's. I mean not just the basic gameplay ideas but the menus, HUD and fonts are virtually identical.

I guess Dark Souls 2 is going even more open world so I guess a easy thing for Demons 2 would be to keep the Nexus hub world and more linear level design but I hope they do more to make the actual gameplay and presentation different from each other.

Prior to PS3's release, TGS 2006 revealed some title: White Knight Chronicles, Ninja Gaiden Sigma... I think we will see some similar things for PS4

Maybe Level 5's JRPG and Ni-Oh

LastNac

I asked Geoff about Naughty Dog at the VGA's during E3. His response was more or less "if history is a good indicator..."

Takao

Banned
A proper Ape Escape would be a godsend! The franchise is apparently their 2nd best selling after GT so it's crazy we haven't seen the 4th one in a whole generation. Make it happen on PS4 Sony.

iwannaseethereceipts.gif

Ape Escape is a franchise that hasn't even had all of the games localized, and they aren't massive performers in Japan.

lol those numbers are bogus

Million Monkeys was only released in Japan. Sony didn't even sell 26 million PS2s there.

At first I assumed that was revenue or something, but even then the numbers wouldn't add up at all.

Fuckin' lol @ Ape Escape selling 28 million on PSN or Ape Escape 3 selling 16.9 million on PS2.

Even their Ape Escape 2 figures are probably 3x higher than reality.

Edit:

Shit, that would put Ape Escape 3 above many mainline Mario games. Didn't the Galaxy games sell like 8-10 million?

Endo Punk

lol those numbers are bogus

Million Monkeys was only released in Japan. Sony didn't even sell 26 million PS2s there.

Yeah that does seem off. Well then I heard it on GAF last year in the PSBR thread that the franchise has obtained huge sales over the years. They should definitely do an AE4 as the IP still has promise and at least some brand recognition despite the huge hiatus.

Endo Punk

Hopefully some new stuff, like TLG2.

sheep+Why+are+you+staring.gif

Takao

Banned
Second, why on earth would you want this in the first place? Sony's strategy of working with second party studios and then buying them out if they prove themselves competent and successful has worked fantastically, whereas founding new studios from scratch is enormously expensive and a giant risk.

Yes, it's so successful that SCE has never bought a single Japanese development partner despite success stories.

Media.Vision - Made Wild ARMs for SCE, now makes iOS games for Square Enix and Japan only PSP rpgs for SEGA.
Level-5 - Made a whole tonne of stuff for Sony, now makes their own works aimed at children for 3DS and iOS.
Acquire - Made a whole bunch of stuff for Sony, acquired by Gungho.
Clap Hanz - The Hot Shots/Everybody's ___ series, still makes those for Sony.

etc.

The truth is SCE only has SCE Japan Studio, and the two Polyphony branches in Japan. They help start companies like Level-5 and Shift, but apparently lose interest and never buy them.

Since they now announced their TGS conference is called "Creating the World of PS4", I think the strategy is going to play out just like they said. At this show they will focus on games which have special appeal to the Japanese markets.

That's just what this keynote is called. SCEJ typically hosts their TGS press conference before the show actually opens where as this is on a TGS day. I imagine their actual press conference won't just be PS4 stuff.

I can't remember, but was Sony's WWS teams ever credited alongside the 3rd-parties like Wish & Tarsier for those titles?

Sometimes they are. SCE Japan Studio and Sony Santa Monica's names are attached to a bunch of projects where they supplied producers for a project developed elsewhere.

I-hate-u

Doesn't Sony usually announce games that appeal to the Japanese audience @ TGS? As much as I like the games to be Demon Souls 2 and The Last Guardian, these games appeal to the western audience more than say a Monster Hunter/FF clone.

I feel more than anything SCE Japan studios efforts are not too tailored to the Japanese audience save a few games. SCEJ TGS showing will probably going to be all Japanese third party titles like Yakuza, Ridge Racer and Final fantasy in addition to first party handheld titles.

Sid

Demon's Souls 2,The Last Guardian,Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3 all in year one on the PS4,could it be?

Takao

Banned
Doesn't Sony usually announce games that appeal to the Japanese audience @ TGS? As much as I like the games to be Demon Souls 2 and The Last Guardian, these games appeal to the western audience more than say a Monster Hunter/FF clone.

I feel more than anything SCE Japan studios efforts are not too tailored to the Japanese audience save a few games. SCEJ TGS showing will probably going to be all Japanese third party titles like Yakuza, Ridge Racer and Final fantasy in addition to first party handheld titles.

The Souls games are pretty successful in Japan, and The Last Guardian is a vanity project so it could be revealed anywhere.

Demon's Souls 2,The Last Guardian,Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3 all in year one on the PS4,could it be?

No.

Cesar

Banned

I then wonder what team is making Demon Souls II. I guess Dark Souls II is being made by the team that did Demon Souls 1 & Dark Souls 1 so what's left, the Armored Core team? Or did Sony gave him a SCEJ team to work with?

Donos

The point i doubt about Demon Souls 2 reveal the most is that From Software has always real good enemy/monster designs and creating a new set for two almost similar games (Dark Souls 2 and Demon Souls 2) while avoiding to just reskin them is a pretty big task. Sure, they can take all the designs from Demon Souls and evolve them but still. Don't know how big From Software is.

Amir0x

Banned
That's just what this keynote is called. SCEJ typically hosts their TGS press conference before the show actually opens where as this is on a TGS day. I imagine their actual press conference won't just be PS4 stuff.

I wasn't implying that only PS4 stuff will be shown there. I was implying that, when added to the additional contextual data points about Ueda saying that Sony would have a pre-TGS conference to show more of their PS4 lineup, we can infer that TGS won't be a throwaway show as it has been the past few years. Sony will continue their PS4 momentum by showcasing more exclusives.

I then wonder what team is making Demon Souls II. I guess Dark Souls II is being made by the team that did Demon Souls 1 & Dark Souls 1 so what's left, the Armored Core team? Or did Sony gave him a SCEJ team to work with?

The point i doubt about Demon Souls 2 reveal the most is that From Software has always real good enemy/monster designs and creating a new set for two almost similar games (Dark Souls 2 and Demon Souls 2) while avoiding to just reskin them is a pretty big task. Sure, they can take all the designs from Demon Souls and evolve them but still. Don't know how big From Software is.

Pretty sure if Demon Soul's 2 is real - and there is a whole helluva lot of smoke now - Sony would be doing a whole heck of a lot to make sure it comes to be. They already assisted on the first game, and the rumours suggest they'll be doing a whole lot more to develop Demon Soul's 2 then they even did on the first game. Additionally, Hidetaka Miyazaki 'stepped back' from the series with Dark Souls II, becoming a supervisor instead of a director or a producer. Why? Further rumours suggest because he moved to work on Demon Soul's II. So if it is true, I'm sure they got the right team for the job and Sony is going to provide as much support as needed to make it a reality. I wouldn't be too concerned.

P.S. Isn't it amazing that guys like Hidetaka Miyazaki have tweets like this:

Hidetaka Miyazaki said:
The narrative of your game should not be held captive by its cutscenes.

*swoon*, I love you Miyazaki!

Endo Punk

Are you sure about that?

Well the link I provided (which I really should have read before posting) was bogus but Im sure I read on GAF last year that AE is a pretty successful franchise for Sony, I mean why else would they have countless titles? Besides that the mainline games are a hellova lot of fun. The 4th one just begs to be made to add dat diversity PlayStation is known for.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I hope he never makes this mistake again and to make amends he really should give us a Demon's Souls 2 with the return of the maiden in black :D

With her weird made-up accent?

Soooowl of da mind, key to life's ee-tha

Soooowl of da lowst, witdrawn from it's vessel

Let strenth be graunted so tha wewld migh-be mended

So tha wewld migh-be mended...

Endo Punk

With her weird made-up accent?

Soooowl of da mind, key to life's ee-tha

Soooowl of da lowst, witdrawn from it's vessel

Let strenth be graunted so tha wewld migh-be mended

So tha wewld migh-be mended...

Read it in her voice.... had to go change my pants.

Speaking of Demon's Souls I am shocked someone like Yoshida who has been in the industry for close to 20 years and contributed towards the creation of many unique titles found Demon's Souls too "out there" for western tastes thus not publishing it here. I hope he never makes this mistake again and to make amends he really should give us a Demon's Souls 2 with the return of the maiden in black :D

Yessss this guy knows whats up.

Yes, it's so successful that SCE has never bought a single Japanese development partner despite success stories.

The truth is SCE only has SCE Japan Studio, and the two Polyphony branches in Japan. They help start companies like Level-5 and Shift, but apparently lose interest and never buy them.

Prior to the PS3-era, from Sony's perspective, there was never any need to buy them though.

They were basically making mostly if not entirely Playstation-exclusives. Aside from the occasional publishing/funding, it seemed like smooth sailing for the nature of the existing co-development stance that SCEJ and the other 3rd-parties had.

Sony did not foresee the huge hurdles and challenges all their 3rd-party partners were going through during the transition to HD gaming, and as a result, a sizable number of them either dropped off the console scene or lost some of their old magic. Even SCEJ had troubles of their own, looking at their paltry and mediocre output this gen.

Even amidst all those troubles... one can technically argue that SCEJ had no real need to buy any Japanese development partner at this point of time. The bigger devs are out of reach, some of the smaller ones would not be viable investments due to them already shifting away from consoles... and the rest are pretty much Playstation exclusive devs already. ( due to appealing to the niche local market )

I think it would make a lot more sense for SCEJ to make a concentrated effort to establish one or two more internal teams within Japan Studio. They already have a lot of development talent there that's very scalable, with experience in multiple genres.

Amir0x

Banned
Even amidst all those troubles... one can technically argue that SCEJ had no real need to buy any Japanese development partner at this point of time. The bigger devs are out of reach, some of the smaller ones would not be viable investments due to them already shifting away from consoles... and the rest are pretty much Playstation exclusive devs already. ( due to appealing to the niche local market )

Well I hear a fine company called Atlus is available at the moment ;)

Well I hear a fine company called Atlus is available at the moment ;)

I don't know if Altus's a good investment, though.

Their 'handheld' team has never worked on a non-Nintendo platform before, so they'd be starting on a new slate without any of their prior DS/3DS fanbase... and even then, the sales were never outstanding. (Devil Survivor)

The Persona team is definitely quite... 'valuable', from a brand perspective, but that doesn't change the fact that Persona games sell below 1mil, and is relatively 'niche'. Furthermore, they don't have the most flattering 'development time' between major releases. A 'one-million sales' game every 3-4 years is not exactly a very good investment.

Furthermore, Atlus's never been at the forefront of HD development. Their next Persona game is almost surely a PS3 game, and I highly doubt it'll be graphically impressive either, based off Catherine.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If Demon's Souls 2 happens... I will do the craziest shit possible. And take pictures of it.

JP

Anybody know what time they're doing this and if they're streaming it anywhere? TGS is usually my favourite show for some reason.

Top Bottom