• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Nvidia's stance on consoles "seems like sour grapes"

We recently spoke to AMD’s PR lead for gaming and enthusiast in graphics Robert Hallock about the next generation of gaming, technology, the PS4 and Xbox One and much more.

On asking whether the console business wasn’t something that shouldn’t be aggressively pursued, since according to Nvidia the profit margins were low, Hallock stated that, “The position seems a bit like sour grapes to me. The reality, according to industry legends like John Carmack (citation), is that the standardization of console hardware will, in his words, ‘make it cheaper and easier to develop games for multiple platforms.’

“And, he continues, that will improve the quality of games as devs spend time polishing them, rather than juggling architectural particulars. We are very proud to help enable this sort of ecosystem for game developers, and excited that such an ecosystem runs almost unilaterally on our hardware. I can’t imagine why anyone would willingly cede such a favorable situation.”
http://gamingbolt.com/amd-nvidias-c...e-business-seems-a-bit-like-sour-grapes-to-me

LAMBO

There was no way MS was going to use Nvidia after they fucked them, and there was no way Sony was going to use nvidia after watching them fuck MS.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
AMD essentially guaranteed themselves 200 million in GPU sales

It's a lot of dough but AMD is desperate so they are the only one willing to license their designs which was a brilliant move

Nvidias loss, AMDs gain

DSN2K

Nvidia seem to have missed out a lot, and its not just gaming but the smart phone business as well.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Nvidia seem to have missed out a lot, and its not just gaming but the smart phone business as well.

I still don't know of any device using the Tegra 4 other than SHIELD.

I also had a WTF moment when I found out the shield uses active cooling. It has a tiny fan cooling the chip.

MercuryLS

Banned
There was no way MS was going to use Nvidia after they fucked them, and there was no way Sony was going to use nvidia after watching them fuck MS.

They fucked Sony too, they over promised and under delivered on RSX. Cell had to pick up the slack due to shitty GPU.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

nah you mean after they fucked Sony. lol

They fixed the price on the GPUs and they under delivered. lol

DopeyFish

I guess AMD had no choice but to pursue to low profits. Better low profits than no profit.

Benefit to AMD: mass market, money for doing NOTHING after the launches

Benefit to console makers: price flexibility

Benefit to consumers: cheaper consoles

Lower margin, sure. But they will be reaching far more homes.

If it pulls AMD back out of the gutter, I am willing to bet nvidia and Intel will start using the same license approach

Truespeed

Wouldn't you be after being shut out of the next gen consoles? They have no one to blame but themselves for this.

Perkel

Banned
AMD essentially guaranteed themselves 200 million in GPU sales

It's a lot of dough but AMD is desperate so they are the only one willing to license their designs which was a brilliant move

Nvidias loss, AMDs gain

It is a lot more than that. Almost every new game will be created on AMD hardware. That is real win for AMD. They have PR ace on their hand for common people and they are already using it for promotion.

Wouldn't you be after being shut out of the next gen consoles? They have no one to blame but themselves for this.

IT is not like Nvidia didn't want to do it. They didn't have SOC tech. They could provide separate GPU but console maker then would need to design console with two separate CPU and GPU and only AMD had everything on one die.

No matter what Nvidia would prepare for new consoles AMD would beat it with price (because SOC is a lot cheaper than GPU+CPU combo).

MS wanted to keep price competitive with PS2 but Nvidia refused to lower the cost of the GPUs. Nvidia is the sole reason Xbox 1 died a very swift death.

You're wrong. The inability to lower the price of the HDD was also the issue. That's why X360 launched with an SKU without one in the first place.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Return of the salt?

salt.jpg

Daedardus

If it pulls AMD back out of the gutter, I am willing to bet nvidia and Intel will start using the same license approach

Intel? They still cash in for billions on their laptop CPU's. AMD is not even close to competing on the mobile CPU market with Intel, and the next-gen consoles aren't changing a fact about that.

But it was probably a wise decision for their GPU devision, we'll just have to wait a few years to see how it'll work out.

DopeyFish

You're wrong. The inability to lower the price of the HDD was also the issue. That's why X360 launched with an SKU without one in the first place.

Not really. OG Xbox could source parts from other manufacturers. HDD couldn't scale in price and ended up becoming more expensive. They could have used newer drives.

But that wasn't the big issue... The GPU wasn't scaling in price and nvidia was rolling in large margins.

Perkel

Banned
Intel? They still cash in for billions on their laptop CPU's. AMD is not even close to competing on the mobile CPU market with Intel, and the next-gen consoles aren't changing a fact about that.

But it was probably a wise decision for their GPU devision, we'll just have to wait a few years to see how it'll work out.

Nvidia is rolling in money from their PC business alone. They give zero fucks.

Let's stop with this " They don't care"

Intel or Nvidia do care about it. This is lost profit. Having $20mln and not having $20mln is both $40mln :)

If they would "give zero fucks" then they would behave like IBM.

Truespeed

IT is not like Nvidia didn't want to do it. They didn't have SOC tech. They could provide separate GPU but console maker then would need to design console with two separate CPU and GPU and only AMD had everything on one die.

No matter what Nvidia would prepare for new consoles AMD would beat it with price (because SOC is a lot cheaper than GPU+CPU combo).

I think it was more of a IP licensing issue. AMD was fine with signing over the IP, Nvidia was not.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Can anyone explain the RSX debacle? A link with info will be fine.

The basic gist was this:

They oversold the power of the GPU to Sony. They were promised a much more powerful GPU than MS, but Nvidia underdelivered, and Nvidia sold the GPU to the public (and Sony I believe, since it is still in their spec sheet) using unrealistic math promising the RSX to be 1.8 TFLOP, which is, of course, pure nonsense (the PS4's GPU is 1.8 TFLOP in comparison).

Perkel

Banned
I think it was more of a IP licensing issue. AMD was fine with signing over the IP, Nvidia was not.

You have some source or rumor or you are just making things up ?

I am talking about price to hardware ratio because it is rational but your argument need some source to be rational.

Hm AMD giving business advice. Hands up all those GPU manufacturers that had to be bought out by a cpu company because they were failing badly.

So if Nvidia are salty I am sure they are enjoying being salty on the huge pile of money that PC gamers keep giving Nvidia instead of giving it to AMD.

Let's stop with this " They don't care"

Intel or Nvidia do care about it. This is lost profit. Having $20mln and not having $20mln is both $40mln :)

If they would "give zero fucks" then they would behave like IBM.

Anything a company decides not to invest in could be considered "lost profit". As it stands, they weighed up their options: compete with AMD to secure console hardware contracts-a significant investment, or continue to focus on their PC GPU work that has brought them redonckulous amounts of money. Evidently, they chose the latter. The "saltiness" is just pro-PC PR, it's all just business at the end of the day.

This is all anyone has been trying to say. Or is it coincidence that after about ten or so years of failing in the console business that they now try they're best to come off as above it.

Perkel

Banned
The basic gist was this:

They oversold the power of the GPU to Sony. They were promised a much more powerful GPU than MS, but Nvidia underdelivered, and Nvidia sold the GPU to the public (and Sony I believe, since it is still in their spec sheet) using unrealistic math promising the RSX to be 1.8 TFLOP, which is, of course, pure nonsense (the PS4's GPU is 1.8 TFLOP in comparison).

I believe that this was a little bit different than that. Nvidia did deliver more raw powerful hardware but AMD deliver in newer technology thus being better because for same things it would less power. AMD delivered first GPU with unified shaders where Nvidia GPU was standard just powerful GPU.

I think most of problems did come from Sony though. Remember that PS3 at first supposed to be 2xCELL but they revised that stupid idea and also due to production issues only 7 SPUs were working from 8. Imo Nvidia GPU was something that came late in development of PS3 where they tried to fix early design thus giving it not special GPU just powerful.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Hm AMD giving business advice. Hands up all those GPU manufacturers that had to be bought out by a cpu company because they were failing badly.

So if Nvidia are salty I am sure they are enjoying being salty on the huge pile of money that PC gamers keep giving Nvidia instead of giving it to AMD.

Speaking of salt...

Truespeed

You have some source or rumor or you are just making things up ?

I am talking about price to hardware ratio because it is rational but your argument need some source to be rational.

What part of "I think" didn't you understand?

They didn't have SOC tech.
Do you have proof of this or are you just making things up?

IT is not like Nvidia didn't want to do it.

They could provide separate GPU but console maker then would need to design console with two separate CPU and GPU and only AMD had everything on one die.

Speaking as someone who owns an Nvidia card, Good for AMD. I don't want Nvidia to have a monopoly in the GPU market. That would be horrendous for consumers.

What part of "I think" didn't you understand?

Nvidia still hasn't even launched a full size commercial SoC design. It's no secret that they haven't invested much at all in the technology. Part of the difficulty of designing a APU like part is that they can't also design a capable CPU. They would have to bring in someone like IBM or ARM.

They didn't and still don't have the tech.

Top Bottom