• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Nvidia's stance on consoles "seems like sour grapes"

Daedardus

Nvidia has peaked by now. The future is low power designs where ARM and AMD will be crowned kings.

Intel and Nvidia will have the high end market to themselves, but that won't grow.

Intel is doing great on the low power, high performance ultrabook market. While it's true desktops are on their way out, laptops aren't disappearing yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It is a lot more than that. Almost every new game will be created on AMD hardware. That is real win for AMD. They have PR ace on their hand for common people and they are already using it for promotion.

It's too bad they are all shown off at expos on Nvidia cards then.

I'm not sure if some people is aware the financial situation of Intel and Nvidia are in comparisson to AMD.
Im not sure where or how the notion that some success in other markets absolves you from being a sourpuss was born. But it's a terrible one. If you think got one moment that Nvidia feels safe with a declining desktop PC market and marginal success in the mobile arena then you are clueless.

You can't even be a good troll. The handful of PC demostations at were using AMD and Nvidia parts...

Joezie

They don't see money from units sold. They were contracted to design the hardware. That didn't guarantee themselves sales. Sony and MS don't by the hardware from them' they manufacture it on their own. Where do people make this stuff up from?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of the biggest clauses in the whole Intel/AMD agreement specifically state that no other company outside of AMD can manufacture X86 IP? (Maybe a bit different since AMD just contracts ex. Global Foundries now.)

And if so wouldn't this imply that one way or another both Sony and MS are going to have to buy from AMD?

Threi

notag
Nvidia has peaked by now. The future is low power designs where ARM and AMD will be crowned kings.

Intel and Nvidia will have the high end market to themselves, but that won't grow.
Actually I would put my money on qualcomm becoming the new king in the future.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of the biggest clauses in the whole Intel/AMD agreement specifically state that no other company outside of AMD can manufacture X86 IP? (Maybe a bit different since AMD just contracts now.)

I think there were some changes made to the agreement when AMD won that huge anti-trust lawsuit in the US a few years ago.

Actually I would put my money on qualcomm becoming the new king in the future.

I wouldn't as qualcomm are fabless. Intel would be my number one pick, samsung my number two if they get serious.

kitch9

Banned
Common sense also says developers will continue to give Nvidia code to optimize drivers for PC releases. That won't change either, it's been going on for over 10 years. Developer and driver support was always Nvidia's strong suit.

It's not an all or nothing proposition.

AMD always had to fight to get code as Nvidia leveraged their market position to buy favours.

It's the other way by default now and AMD are getting paid for the privilege.

Quite a coup for them. I run 2x670's by the way I'm not blind to the benefits for AMD.

Truespeed

Ok first off mobile chipsets don't count. Nvidia has a lot more leeway in designing a cellphone part versus the requirements of a console like part.

So I think you need to come to the realization that ARM isn't just for mobile devices. ARM has specifications for mobile, desktop and server designs so if Nvidia ever wanted to branch in this direction they certainly could.

No_Style

AMD has no significant ARM mobile effort to speak of while NVIDIA at least got their Tegra chips in the first Google Nexus 7.

AMD's low power offerings aren't attractive enough to get themselves into ultrabook class notebooks. Lower power isn't desriable if you don't have the performance as well and it looks like Intel is bringing the most attractive mix of both.

I've said before but the next generation of consoles after the Xbox One and PS4 will be the most interesting from a vendor selection standpoint. If consoles (like we know it) exist, ARM processors should be powerful enough to warrant consideration. And if console manufacturers go down that path, the selection out there will be immense.

They don't see money from units sold. They were contracted to design the hardware. That didn't guarantee themselves sales. Sony and MS don't by the hardware from them' they manufacture it on their own. Where do people make this stuff up from?
This is tales from my ass material. Of course the gpu provider gets royalties. Nvidia, specifically has been quoted as generating over 500 million from the Ps3 contracts. The fact that they aren't burdened with manufacturing the part has nothing to do with them getting compensated for their work.

It's one of a few reasons why console contracts are nobrainers to accept. Little investment with the potential for a size able gain.

Edit: also, buying the rights for the gpu from the vendor is exactly what goes on. The only time it hasn't happened is when MS first came in and got suckered into letting Nvidia keep the rights.

Skeff

Let's be honest here, nVidia couldn't match the APU provided by AMD here without outsourcing CPU to intel or AMD and therefore couldn't match the price of AMD.

AMD make very little from a margin perspective, but 150 million is a lot of sales, if i were a salesman I'd consider selling 150 million units a great day at work.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Kind of hard to showcase on AMD when their cards are not the benchmark. They will come though. I'm getting tired of nvidia having too much of the spotlight. This is coming from someone like me who has SLI 670's.

I meant with the third party relations = hardware (Sony/Microsoft) relations

Who is Yamcha? DBZ character?

Yes, sorry it was a joke.

I meant to say that Nvidia is treated as a joke by console manufacturers(yamcha is a joke in DB). MS & Sony both got their fingers burnt by Nvidia, and there are rumours that Nintendo did too(apparently the tegra2 was an early candidate for the 3ds but nvidia lied about the power consumption).

So I think you need to come to the realization that ARM isn't just for mobile devices. ARM has specifications for mobile, desktop and server designs so if Nvidia ever wanted to branch in this direction they certainly could.

Do you know of an extant ARM core that can match an x86 at this level?

Perkel

Banned
It doesn't mean anything technically though. And you won't do much with PR if your hardware is loosing in benchmarks.

You are missing the most important thing about it.

Nowdays most of games are created with Nvidia in mind. They have most of QA on nvdia, games performance on similar hardware is usually better on nvidia because simply support is better for their hardware. Game devs treat AMD like second platform because AMD has less hardware. Thus if they will release game more bugs are on AMD hardware, game has worse performance on their hardware etc.

If they will have monopoly on AAA games dev then support for AMD tech will be better meaning more even ground that now. Less fixes better performance and what is most important AMD hardware will be primary "platform" for AAA games it is Nvidia hardware that will receive "ports".

For common folk it will be just that more games will work better on AMD hardware than now thus winning more benchmarks.

Momentary

Banned
This is tales from my ass material. Of course the gpu provider gets royalties. Nvidia, specifically has been quoted as generating over 500 million from the Ps3 contracts. The fact that they aren't burdened with manufacturing the part has nothing to do with them getting compensated for their work.

It's one of a few reasons why console contracts are nobrainers to accept. Little investment with the potential for a size able gain.

Edit: also, buying the rights for the gpu from the vendor is exactly what goes on. The only time it hasn't happened is when MS first came in and got suckered into letting Nvidia keep the rights.

Dudebro, they don't get paid per unit sold, unlike the other dudebro said who I quoted. Are you saying they get paid per GPU sold... because it sounds like you're defending what the guy said.

Truespeed

Are you saying Nvidia can just whip together an x86 processor design that was competitive with AMD's in a couple of years?

Please.

It's pretty difficult to "whip together" an x86 processor design when you don't even have a licence. Besides, AMD is a mess right now. They lost a Billion+ last year according to their 2012 report, their stock price is in the dumps and they could easily be acquired by Nvidia if they wanted to.

Perkel

Banned
?

Quadros have been the standard professional level workstation card for a long time. I can't remember the last time I've even seen a FireGL/FirePro card.

His point is that assets are just assets. It doesn't matter in the end if musician used KORG pad or violin because you get MP3 and don't care about technology of creating that asset. ( in general )

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
His point is that assets are just assets. It doesn't matter in the end if musician used KORG pad or violin because you get MP3 and don't care about technology of creating that asset. ( in general )

My original point was that saying all games are going to be created on AMD hardware is disingenuous. That is all.

But everything he said is true.
And honestly, I've had nothing but problems with AMD/ATI graphics cards on PC.
There's a reason why nVidia has been doing so much better than AMD/ATI in the PC graphics cards department.
Perhaps AMD is better suited for the console market than the PC market. I don't know.
Well I just had to uninstall Nvidia GeForce Experience from my computer because it was interfering with my 360 controller's ability to navigate through Steam's Big Picture Mode. It stopped the guide button from working and also sometimes made the controller not work at all after exiting from certain games and emulators. The people in the Steam Big Picture group were going nuts before we finally figured out what the culprit was.

kitch9

Banned
Dudebro, they don't get paid per unit sold, unlike the other dudebro said who I quoted. Are you saying they get paid per GPU sold... because it sounds like you're defending what the guy said.

Of course they AMD gets royalty per apu sold in the consoles.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
?

Quadros have been the standard professional level workstation card for a long time. I can't remember the last time I've even seen a FireGL/FirePro card.

When I highlighted and searched Wikipedia for Quadros this is what came up.

Perkel

Banned
It's pretty difficult to "whip together" an x86 processor design when you don't even have a licence. Besides, AMD is a mess right now. They lost a Billion+ last year according to their 2012 report, their stock price is in the dumps and they could easily be acquired by Nvidia if they wanted to.

I like that "Did you see their stock value ?" response

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

BTW nVIDIA is losing a:eek: much that their stock is worth 5 times that of AMDs. They should have never pushed to get into the medical, science, automotive, engineering, military, animation, and mobile computing industries. They definitely don't bring in more money than the videogame industry.

Yes. AMD makes money per unit MADE

They are paid up front for R&D- how much depends on the scope of work and they are paid royalties per box (which shrink over time)

They don't get one lump sum and then dream of other things...

inherendo

Nvidia said the profit margins for the next gen consoles were too small for them. I don't know if this is spin or not because i think they said this after AMD was awarded both contracts.

AMD didn't waste much time or money licensing Kaveri, which are what the custom chips are based off, so it could only help them, as they need all the revenue they can get.

gogogow

Sony also got fucked over by Nvidia. The PS3's weak link was its GPU.

Eh....that's Sony's own fault. Sony accepted the RSX design, if they wanted something else, something more powerful, surely, the paying party, Sony in this case, could've requested such GPU.

inherendo

Wouldn't be so easy as the FTC would probably have questions about this transaction.

creyas

Well I just had to uninstall Nvidia GeForce Experience from my computer because it was interfering with my 360 controller's ability to navigate through Steam's Big Picture Mode. It stopped the guide button from working and also sometimes made the controller not work at all after exiting from certain games and emulators. The people in the Steam Big Picture group were going nuts before we finally figured out what the culprit was.

Thankfully this nice extra program nVidia has decided to provide is optional for now then.

Doesn't seem to interfere with my guide button fortunately.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
No, Yamcha

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Decado

I hope Nvidea steps up in a big way this gen on the PC. Hell, if they don't, they could be fucked.

They could start by drastically improving their 3D support.

Truespeed

Do you know of an extant ARM core that can match an x86 at this level?

I think the new Cortex A57 may come close, but I don't think it'll ever be match from a pure performance perspective given ARM's focus on power efficiency. If you're talking about comparing the Jaguar x86 core to an ARM one then Jaguar does beat it at a performance/price per core level , but then you may be able to compensate with additional ARM cores I guess.

pixlexic

Banned
AMD essentially guaranteed themselves 200 million in GPU sales

It's a lot of dough but AMD is desperate so they are the only one willing to license their designs which was a brilliant move

Nvidias loss, AMDs gain

Both Nvidia and amd license their designs . That is the whole point of the pc gpu market.

And I am pretty sure AMD does not receive a royalty for every console made. they more than likey already got paid for both consoles.

The biggest thing here for them is advertising. they get their name attached to all three consoles.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Both Nvidia and amd license their designs . That is the whole point of the pc gpu market.

And I am pretty sure AMD does not receive a royalty for every console made. they more than likey already got paid for both consoles.

The biggest thing here for them is advertising. they get their name attached to all three consoles.

Nvidia doesn't license. Period.

In PC Card market, chips are sold to board manufacturers, not licensed.

AMD gets royalties.

Truthfact

Top Bottom