• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong's Crash Course (Nintendoland, Wii U) - The modern quarter eater

Nintendo_Land_-_Donkey_Kong_Crash_Course_logo.png
WiiU_NinLand_2_imgeP04_E3.png

So I finally got a Wii U for $200 at a Walmart deal and also got Nintendoland for $10 in the same deal.

I first tried the game (DK) at a Wii U tour in my area in Canada, and I knew this would rock.

I was watching Game Grumps' hilarious attempt and they could not beat the first goal.

So after 3 days, I finally got to the goal and funny enough, the first time was via a freak accident somersault off the right side of the top girder.

Yesterday I actually finally made a perfect run of the first goal with no lives lost or even Y presses to escape death.

And my god, this is the most addicting modern game I've played in ages, the thread title is serious, if Nintendo put this in an Arcade, you would be fucking BROKE, I had A LOT of trouble putting it down last night, trying to get a perfect run and then just going SPLAT at different occasions.

Then there's the SECOND level, I've gotten to the part where you have to hang on a girder and slide from below, and I CANNOT for the life of me figure it out! XD

This is a fucking classic, say what you will about the Wii U's lack of innovation like the Wii, how Nintendoland isn't the big grabber like Wii Sports was, etc etc.

But you have GOT to try this, if you ever see Nintendoland for $10 or cheap enough, BUY IT, this is worth the price alone, maybe even $60 considering the 11 other games and all the items you can unlock for the park, the game's a beaut and runs in 60fps all the way though, god damn that lighting.

The other games I've played so far include:

Metroid Blast: A lot of fun, not OMG ADDICTING like DK, but it's still great!

Pikmin Adventure: Fun and it's got the Pikmin spirit. :)

Yoshi's Fruit Cart: It's alright, the goal is to draw a path on the Pad but the path doesn't show on the TV which shows the fruit and such needed to collect, kinda a pain but charming all the same. XD

Balloon Trip Breeze: Quite fun, you're focused on getting balloons in a scroller unlike the original, I did really like it as well.

Captain Falcon's Twister Race: Really fun, it's like a slot car race in a sense lol. You tilt the pad to turn the vehicle while it automatically moves forward.

Still need to try The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest , Octopus Dance, and Takamaru's Ninja Castle since they allow 1-player.

So what does GAF have to say?

PusherT

I got my wii u this Thursday and been playing Nintendoland as well I think it's a AAA quality mini game collection. the graphics are better then some of my x360 games IMO. Mario chase and YoshiFruit cart are worth the $350 alone especially Mario chase. I also like how Miiverse messages pop up in the theme park world.

Top 3 games IMO. mario chase, yoshi fruit cart and that lungi mansion mini game is godly. I am a believer.

kitsuneyo

It's a great game but so, so hard. I find it too frustrating. I wish it was split into smaller chunks instead of one big board.

Neiteio

The F-zero game is even fun, dispute what I've read and heard.
Captain Falcon's Twister Race is probably my favorite attraction. No joke -- it is excellent. Hitting the lanes and grinding around the corners and threading between obstacles with exacting precision is all so smooth, so slick, so fluid, so FUN. Incredibly addictive!

PusherT

what's everyone opinion on the Animal crossing candy mini game? That and and the pikmin are done well too

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
what's everyone opinion on the Animal crossing candy mini game? That and and the pikmin are done well too

Animal Crossing is probably the second most played game in my group after Mario Chase. We've probably easily put 15-20 hours into both. Hell, it would be much higher if Monster Hunter hadn't consumed us all starting in March

Neiteio

The AC game is probably the most impressive graphically. Gameplay-wise, it has an addictive risk/reward mechanic: When you steal candy, your head grows larger and you become slower, but you can drop candy to shrink down and go faster if you need to elude the cops. So as a thief, you constantly have to balance how much you can steal and how fast you can run, because if the cops catch you, it's Game Over. And for the GamePad user playing as the cops, the fact you control each cop with a separate analog stick is brilliant. It requires multi-tasking skill as you try to route the thieves, heading them off with one cop while intercepting them with the other. Very smart game. :)

NintendoLand as a whole is one of the best games Nintendo developed in recent years.

Too bad so many people are giving it the "Meh... minigame collection" treatment.

Personally, I never understood what's so bad about minigame collections if done right like this one. Polished, content rich and challenging.

PusherT

Animal Crossing is probably the second most played game in my group after Mario Chase. We've probably easily put 15-20 hours into both. Hell, it would be much higher if Monster Hunter hadn't consumed us all starting in March[/
so is there anyway to stun the yoshis in Mario chase? fucking yoshis hound my ass in that game. the graphics especially the lighting is well done .

Gsnap

It's one of the few attractions I didn't like. I don't know what it is about my particular group of friends, but the AC mini game was very unbalanced. Cops always won. We had a lot more luck with mario chase and luigi's ghost mansion. For some reason those fit our skill balance but AC did not.

And yeah, OP, Crash Course is a great game. I spent so much time mastering the first and second tracks, learning shortcuts, getting faster.

Nintendoland all around is great, but Crash Course is my favorite.

Dave Long

Banned
Nintendo Land is a brilliant piece of software that can make any casual gamer into a hardcore one with some reasonable amount of play time. It is like Solitaire and Minesweeper for Windows except it teaches you how to play "real" videogames!

I love it. It will always be played here, much as we've continued playing Wii Sports in a group setting many years after release.

Exile20

The biggest miss is no dlc from Nintendo. This game screams dlc and Nintendo dropped the ball hard.

Another big drop is no online leaderboards.

Standouts for me is dk of course.

Mario chase and Luigi mansion, awesome party games.

Animal crossing is a bundle of laughs when you see people emptying their heads To get away Classic.

Zelda is so much fun to coop with your significant other.

In all this is an awesome collection of games that everyone should play. Worth the price of a Wii u.

I honestly can't wait for Wii u play u and Mario party u. I love party games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The biggest miss is no dlc from Nintendo. This game screams dlc and Nintendo dropped the ball hard.

I'm sure they hesitated to have Game & Wario mini games part of Nintendo Land, and eventually thought it'd be best to sell it separately. Wrong decision. Now Game & Wario bombed, they should reinclude some of its best games into Nintendo Land. Artwork and Islands in particular should be played by every Wii U owners interested in party games, such a waste not to have them at least available as DLC.

About leaderboards, that's another missed opportunity indeed. Hopefully private miiverse communities will give the game a second life.

Madouu

I approve of this thread, spent countless hours on Crash Course alone. Tried to run a short-lived gaf high scores thing but sadly only blu,gingerbeardman and me really participated. People should check the Nintendo Land OT there are some great posts in there.

*paging gingerbeardman*

And I'll just post these even if they're extremely old/average by now:

Regiruler

Ninja castle is far and away my favorite. Save it for last.

On topic, I liked the minigame although it gets harder when you get frustrated and tense.

I still can't figure out why people love Metroid Blast. Nintendoland is amazing but Metroid is a bland, repetitive and boring tps. Bosses are awesome though. Dk rocks!

Neiteio

I still can't figure out why people love Metroid Blast. Nintendoland is amazing but Metroid is a bland, repetitive and boring tps. Bosses are awesome though. Dk rocks!
Metroid Blast is fantastic. The controls are heavenly, running, aiming and grappling with precision. The jump-dodging is a nice risk/reward mechanic due to the pause on landing. The various battles against Ridley were intense, knuckle-whitening stuff since he was super-aggressive with no let-up and you had to use all of your evasion skills to survive. And there's just so such content packed into it. It doesn't hurt Metroid Blast looks awesome (Blade Runner/Tron levels of neon!) and has great remixes of classic tunes. :)

Kodaman

Agree with OP. My favourite of the bunch. Metroid Blast being the second.

I wish it had more levels.

This needs an eshop standalone release with lots of levels.
I'll buy it at a high price.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Metroid Blast is fantastic. The controls are heavenly, running, aiming and grappling with precision. The jump-dodging is a nice risk/reward mechanic due to the pause on landing. The various battles against Ridley were intense, knuckle-whitening stuff since he was super-aggressive with no let-up and you had to use all of your evasion skills to survive. And there's just so such content packed into it. It doesn't hurt Metroid Blast looks awesome (Blade Runner/Tron levels of neon!) and has great remixes of classic tunes. :)

The Kraid battle was also excellent

Sendou

I will say this as many time as it is needed: Nintendo Land is the most underrated game released last year and it might very well be the best game on Wii U.

Gsnap

Dang it. You guys are making me want to play Crash Course again. I never did completely finish it. Thank Nintendo for off-tv play, because the family is over.

See ya.

Every time someone writes off Nintendoland as a pointless minigame cash in collection I think something inside me dies. It's criminally underrated, some of the games in it alone would be worth it as standalone games in my opinion and you get a whole bunch of them with great variety in gameplay. And this isn't even mentioning the music, oh god that music!

kitsuneyo

Latter is inexcusable. Would've kept people playing longer and got more people playing together. DLC would've had same effect, just some new levels for Luigi Ghost, Mario Chase etc would be nice.

And this isn't even mentioning the music, oh god that music!

Balloon Trip Breeze is my personal favourite.

Unfortunately, the concepts aren't broad enough in scope to gather the general public.

Maybe not from trailers and ads, but any 5 people in a room playing NL will have a good time.

botty

Banned
Nintendo Land is the most underrated game of all time. One day people will realize this.

I will say this as many time as it is needed: Nintendo Land is the most underrated game released last year and it might very well be the best game on Wii U.

If it was released for...maybe...the Wii or Gamecube it probably would have been better received. Unfortunately, the concepts aren't broad enough in scope to gather the general public.

CrisKre

I agree. Price aside it is a great time to get a wii u. Nintendoland, NSMBU, zombi u, monster hunter , lego and pikmin should satisfy anyone until the big games start hitting next month. Is an AWESOME last if games.

i think the only two games i didnt like is the murasame no jo game and the octopus dance game. donkey kong is definately one of the better games.

mandiller

Wait. There's a second course? I completed the first one but don't recall a second course unlocking. How do I access this wonderful thing?

Top Bottom