• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong's Crash Course (Nintendoland, Wii U) - The modern quarter eater

Himself

Truly. This game had me saying "one more go" more than...basically anything I've played this gen except maybe Deathsmiles. Straight up crizzle.

Never understood those who write this off as just another mini game collection. They simply can't have played it. Between Pikmin, Metroid and Zelda, there's at least 20 or more hours of content with a great challenge to try to master the stages. Great game and as others have said, vastly underrated by many.

I only got to the second one. They should really let you start from the levels once you get to them. I will never play that many perfect rounds to get that far.

I got as far as having to blow into the mic before I quit to the menu. Takumaru's Ninja Castle now that's some great fun! Could totally do a time crisis collection or point blank with the game pad.

braves01

Banned
Nintendo Land music = god tier

Really cool visual style too. Between this Pikmin 3, I'm not worried about Wii U first party visuals feeling ancient once the other next genners come out.

OryoN

Sorry, I stopped reading at "Wii U for $200" via a Wal-Mart deal...

Tell me more!

Was going to wait until later, but at that price, I'd buy a deluxe model (online?) right now.

My two favourite games are Crash Course and the Animal Crossing one.

My lord, it is just so fun trying to catch people whilst they are running away from you.
So tense, it's brilliant.

linko9

Yeah, this is definitely my favorite game in Nintendoland, and the only one that really hooked me. They should roll out a follow-up as a downloadable game.

javac

Metroid Blast was my fave. I played as the battleship without the TV. Was a lot of fun getting all the achievements.

Haines

Banned
Love this game and I def need to get my Nintendo Land fix with some friends soon.

All aboard the party train mode :D

DjRoomba

Banned
Nintendoland is very underrated. The graphics, music and games are amazing. It totally works both multi and singler player.
It got major snubbed and forgotten about on best of's lists which is a dang shame. Wasnt exactly glowingly reviewed either, dunno why. I dont think reviewers dug to find its impressive depth.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Donkey Kong's Crash Course and Pikmin Adventure are my favorite single player games in Nintendo Land. Actually Pikmin Adventure turned into a co-op favorite once my girlfriend saw it.
And Mario Chase, Luigi's Ghost Mansion and Animal Crossing are god like for playing with friends. I like most Animal Crossing, for the multitasking when you play with the gamepad and the risk/reward balance for the other players. Nothing is funnier than running after a big headed guy spitting out candies.

batbeg

Crash Course is definitely my favorite in the collection. Absolutely wonderful game design that rewards you for patience, understanding, and being one of the few to own a Wii U.

My other two favorites are the Yoshi and Balloon Trip levels. These are games which use the Wii U Pad in fun ways and show that Nintendo can still be all about that NES era pure gaming goodness. Yum yum.

Got to the point where I can get through all the courses fairly fast every time and it's an awesome minigame.

Kind of bummed out that the additional courses sometimes have subtle differences/variations instead of being all new but this type of design still works.

The details in the game are really well done as well.

Steph_E.

Captain Falcon's Twister Race is probably my favorite attraction. No joke -- it is excellent. Hitting the lanes and grinding around the corners and threading between obstacles with exacting precision is all so smooth, so slick, so fluid, so FUN. Incredibly addictive!

Yeah, and when you think you've finally beaten it (completed all 12 levels), guess what - you get another set of harder levels!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, and when you think you've finally beaten it (completed all 12 levels), guess what - you get another set of harder levels!

Same with Pikmin Adventure, after the 16 normal level it unlocks the advanced ones. Nintendo Land is providing a lot of surprises in terms of deepness.

Dave Long

Banned
Nintendoland is very underrated. The graphics, music and games are amazing. It totally works both multi and singler player.
It got major snubbed and forgotten about on best of's lists which is a dang shame. Wasnt exactly glowingly reviewed either, dunno why. I dont think reviewers dug to find its impressive depth.
Most reviewers are single young men who just aren't going to have the right group to play Nintendo Land with to get its appeal beyond single player pursuits. It's a major failing in the games press and will continue to be for years to come. There just isn't any interest in reviewing Nintendo games fairly as family multiplayer experiences among traditional games reviews outlets. It unfairly compromises certain titles. This being one of them.

Nintendo Land should be a pack-in forever, just because it's so good at making people see the excitement and skill of traditional "gamer"-type videogames. It's brilliant.

scurker

I wish Crash Course was it's own game. I would pay at least $10 for a more fleshed out version with a variety of different levels. If they released something like that on the e-shop or as DLC I would buy it day one. Definitely one of my favorites out of Nintendo Land.

cacildo

what's everyone opinion on the Animal crossing candy mini game? That and and the pikmin are done well too

My girlfriend likes Animal Crossing Candy Day better than Mario Chase.

I dont know, but the fact than you can drop all your candy to escape the guards makes it pretty funny.

Me and some friends played Nintendoland for like 4 hours the other day. Everytime we were about to stop we would just say "ok one more round." This is one of the games we kept passing back and forth. Nintendoland is super underrated, it's an amazing multiplayer game and the uses of the gamepad are actually fun as hell

Dave Long

Banned
Animal Crossing Sweet Day wakes up my neighbors. No lie! We all end up shouting because of the dogs and having to spit out all the candy!

Darryl

Banned
Y button is the same as blowing into the mic.

whoa

I wish Crash Course was it's own game. I would pay at least $10 for a more fleshed out version with a variety of different levels. If they released something like that on the e-shop or as DLC I would buy it day one. Definitely one of my favorites out of Nintendo Land.

for sure. maybe one that starts off with more manageable stages before working its way up.

Neiteio

And at night, with even better music!

A lot of the attractions in Nintendo Land have a "second quest." Staggering amount of content packed into this collection.

69wpm

Crash Course is one of the greatest mini-games I've ever played. It's not easy, but it makes you feel sooo good when you complete one course. I have to agree with the previous poster, Nintendo Land is one of the most underrated games in recent years.

Frodo

Donkey Kong's Crash Course is the responsible for making me understand the awesomeness behind Miiverse.

Was stuck and couldn't make a jump for my life. Posted a picture of the area I was stuck on Miiverse asking for help. 2 minutes after I had a few answers that were very helpful. Someone even post a drawing of how I should make the jump. Lovely stuff.

^^

I can honestly say 100% of the people I know that have played Nintendo Land how found it to be surprisingly amazing. A few of the friends got so into it the evening turned onto a bitch fest about how the battery kept running out on the gamepad when they were really getting onto it. A lot of the folks I've run in to online that have actually played it have said they have had a lot of fun with it. Seems to be a nice game for those that have gotten their hands on it. Nearly all of the people I've come across that complain about it being stupid or a cheap mini game not worth the price haven't even played the game. Not saying you have to like it, but the way things spread from people who have little to know real knowledge of things is pretty sad.

Then again, I guess that is to be expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCAgccUMzcE

Now I'll have it stuck in my head for the rest of the evening, thanks.
I hate you for this lol

Neiteio

I love the sound effects in Crash Course. The rattling, clinking, clacking, etc. The delicate tilt control and in-game physics make it super-tactile, like a mechanical tabletop game in a smoky arcade.

Hoodbury

Don't hate me, but I really wish I could unlock the tables once and then play them whenever instead of having to start at the first one each time.

Dave Long

Banned
The world definitely needs more original arcade-style games like Donkey Kong Crash Course. It's the essence of what videogames mean to a whole heck of a lot of people who grew up in the 80's.

69wpm

The world definitely needs more original arcade-style games like Donkey Kong Crash Course. It's the essence of what videogames mean to a whole heck of a lot of people who grew up in the 80's.

Nintendo should make an eShop title out of this with DLC for new courses, would love it.

Top Bottom