• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 has Dynamic destruction.

Loudninja

The Order is a third-person shooter, and it’s billed as the first game in a franchise of titles that may also spill out into other forms of media. Set in an alternate post-industrial revolution London, the game’s steampunk, almost Dickensian veneer was researched by a snap-happy studio trip to London, in which Weerasuriya and his crew took over 38,000 photos of the city.

Why? Well, the game’s core hook isn’t steampunk, or the arkane, or even those brilliant twirled moustaches we’ve seen so far. Those photos were actually research for both the game’s aesthetic design and the team’s material creation tools, as well as its bespoke ‘Abel’ physics engine. We were shown photos of zoomed-in cobblestones, of granite and gravel, each taken to make the world of The Order visually impressive, believable and most importantly – destructible.

The game has dynamic destruction, and while we’re not talking about Battlefield 4 levels of military bombast, Ready At Dawn’s surface and environmental destruction is rather impressive. We saw Weerasuriya jump into a stone courtyard and pumped rounds from the protagonist’s Combogun – an assault rifle and shotgun hybrid – into a brass fixture set into a wall. The object crumpled and imploded with force after each round found its mark, deforming it in real-time.

He then spawned in a bunch of teddy bears and went all Robocop on their stuffed asses, first blowing off a head, and then four limbs one at a time. This might sound like a gimmick, but we were all assured that dynamic destruction, texture warping and convincing object physics lie at the heart of The Order: 1886′s gameplay. When the crowd asked why, we were told it wasn’t yet time for that particular discussion.

What I can tell you is that the game looks brilliant, as in next-gen brilliant, not just a small leap in fidelity. We were treated to a fly-over through an underground plaza lined with pubs, meandering NPCs and street lamps so convincing you could almost hear the bulbs hum. At the end of the street sat a mosaic, with each raised tile impacting the way those lights dances across its surface.
http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/21/ps4-gamescom-2013-sony-brings-its-next-gen-darlings-to-cologne/

Communicators give you the ability to converse with the rest of your squad. A thermite gun allows you to shoot a cloud of inflammable thermite that can be ignited by a flame or by shooting a flare into it. In contrast to these advanced weapons, you will still be able to use more traditional black powder guns. These give a sense of realism and believability to the world and make the atmosphere feel dirty and palpable, reminiscent of the way we are used to viewing the real post-Industrial Revolution Europe.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/08/21/building-a-new-london-for-the-order-1886-on-ps4

Thanks luca!

Liking the sounds of the weapons very IG like.

Rashid

Banned
Well, it's an exclusive. Remains to be seen whether it's actually good or not. The premise doesn't seem too exciting for me. And is the 21:9 still a thing? And when will gameplay arise?

Frodo

About time someone would replace this gas lamps for electric ones.

(Yes, there are several gas lamp posts still in use in London)

And I love them. Don't even think about replacing them!

Loudninja

Where was this at Gamescom?
Today, we saw the game running in a couple of interesting tech demos – we’ll have more information from that behind-closed-doors session in a little while – but one interesting tidbit was reiterated during that session, a piece of information briefly noted during Sony’s Gamescom press conference
That piece of information is that The Order: 1886 is slated for release in 2014, clearing up some confusion about just how far out the game actually is. Indeed, Ru Weerasuriya, Ready at Dawn’s founder and CEO, as well as the writer of The Order: 1886, stated that the game is “still a year or so off”
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/gamescom-ps4-exclusive-the-order-1886-will-launch-in-2014

Man, they are really getting into the setting, and putting a ton of care into it! This title has really started to catch my attention. It caught me eye before, but now they are just getting me hyped.

It's one of the reasons why the PS4 just seems so intriguing, at least for me personally.

hal9001

Banned
Wow the concept looks and sound great. It seems like there will be a lot of attention to detail in the environments.

Well, it's an exclusive. Remains to be seen whether it's actually good or not. The premise doesn't seem too exciting for me. And is the 21:9 still a thing? And when will gameplay arise?

Ready At Dawn has always delivered so far. The help from Santa Monica will surely help as well. I have a hard time seeing it ending up as complete bunk with that pedigree(s) behind it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I would like to make that PS3 static theme my desktop background... is there a clean version of it anywhere?

Ru spent most of the session talking about how The Order: 1886 uses a revolutionary physics system which allows individual objects and its constituent materials to be realistically broken up or deformed ad infinitum. During his presentation the audience was treated to two live prototype gameplay demonstrations (running on a PC with PS4-approximate specs) showing these features in action, and also demonstrating how objects in the environment such as flags are affected by the physical forces associated with a particular environment (in this case wind). Each of the three flags we saw in the second demo fluttered independently of each other, seemingly affected by their position in relation to the wind.

In the second demo Ru demonstrated how objects in The Order: 1886 will deform according to what material they’re made out of. For example, a bronze bucket or metallic wall will visibly dent when shot, while a teddy bear (dumped onto the level for the purpose of this demo) will break up into separate pieces when the same treatment is handed out. Obviously, the type of gun and ammunition being used will also influence how materials in the game react based on the real-world laws of physics which govern them.

AND THE FIRST SIGN OF WHAT TYPE OF GAMEPLAY THE ORDER 1886 IS

Based on what we saw in the two live gameplay demonstrations, The Order: 1886 will be a cover-based shooter with an over-the-shoulder camera perspective in the style of Resident Evil 4 or Gears of War.

More info in the link below.
http://www.el33tonline.com/post/201...ced-physics-system-revealed-at-gamescom-2013/

Wilester

xoNj5Eo.jpg

Yes please.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ru spent most of the session talking about how The Order: 1886 uses a revolutionary physics system which allows individual objects and its constituent materials to be realistically broken up or deformed ad infinitum. During his presentation the audience was treated to two live prototype gameplay demonstrations (running on a PC with PS4-approximate specs) showing these features in action, and also demonstrating how objects in the environment such as flags are affected by the physical forces associated with a particular environment (in this case wind). Each of the three flags we saw in the second demo fluttered independently of each other, seemingly affected by their position in relation to the wind.

In the second demo Ru demonstrated how objects in The Order: 1886 will deform according to what material they’re made out of. For example, a bronze bucket or metallic wall will visibly dent when shot, while a teddy bear (dumped onto the level for the purpose of this demo) will break up into separate pieces when the same treatment is handed out. Obviously, the type of gun and ammunition being used will also influence how materials in the game react based on the real-world laws of physics which govern them.

AND THE FIRST SIGN OF WHAT TYPE OF GAMEPLAY THE ORDER 1886 IS

Based on what we saw in the two live gameplay demonstrations, The Order: 1886 will be a cover-based shooter with an over-the-shoulder camera perspective in the style of Resident Evil 4 or Gears of War.

More info in the link below.
http://www.el33tonline.com/post/201...ced-physics-system-revealed-at-gamescom-2013/

HHHNNNNNGHHHHHH! GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

Salz01

I'm excited for it. Hopefully when they do show it, it will be a full representation of the game in all its glory. And not just bits and pieces. I want to be blown away.

johnny956

then why show it to the press? i just dont get it.

Because the press are going into it objectively while consumers will pick it apart and first impressions have a bigger impact then most realize. Driveclub for example. Sony had to show it because its a launch title and people didn't like what they saw at E3. Now the build at Gamescon looks substantially better but some have already made judgement on the game based on that "35% build"

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God i hate this "behind closed doors" bullshit so much.
I hate it with a passion.

In this case I don't mind, it's obvious they didn't have to spend months to do a demonstration for the press. If they spent the time to make a public demonstration, they would waste time that could be spent doing something more productive.

Globox_82

Banned
Tom Morrison christrules0041
• an hour ago

they were prototype demos so one didn't have proper textures and the other one did, but had a simple level design like an environment meant for testing out different gameplay/physics mechanics and systems.

i did see the main character model though and it looks amazing
, with detailed hair and a cloak which moves fluidly around the protagonist as he runs.

Top Bottom