• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCK: Ryse has (optional) microtransactions.

Hanmik

Lock me in and make me watch bad animations if old

Unlock new armour by buying Gold, Silver or Bronze Packs.

Ryse: Son of Rome will feature microtransactions to help players accelerate their progression within the game's multiplayer mode, it has been revealed.

"When we talk about the progression system for multiplayer, it's armour-based," said the producer.

"The way that you get armour is very similar to how you get it in like Mass Effect or FIFA. You only earn gold while playing multiplayer [and] you use that gold to buy booster packs. Those booster packs contain random sets of loot. Based on the different tiers of loot that you get - whether you buy Bronze, Silver or Gold Packs - guarantees whether you get rare or common items.

"One of the things that we did a little different is that you can buy them with in-game currency and real world currency. The difference is that if you're close we also have small microtransactions.

"Say for instance a gold pack costs 15,000 gold, [and] you've only got 12,500 you can actually buy the difference and only spend a little bit to make it go to a Gold Pack. So we offer some variety there."

Just to give you some ideas in terms of how much we have to offer, you can see here, the swords, there's a ton of different stats," he continued. "We were very good about designing stages as you play multiplayer, so the stats can change whether you're focusing on grinding for money, grinding for experience or whether you're playing with a new player or an old player. There's a lot of ways to change and customise your gear."
http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/ryse/news/ryse_has_microtransactions.html

Edit: There seems to be some confusion regarding what this is.. so I made a Gif to illustrate it..

thatsitr8kaj.gif

(but according to the crytek people these microtranstions are optional..)

GHG

I for one am shocked.

This game is like a parody of everything thats wrong with gaming at the moment.

To me, it's the same as the optional 'pay to unlock everything' in Burnout Paradise. For people who buy games and don't actually want to play them.

Alphahawk

It sounds like, if I'm understanding right, the game game will only let you buy things if with real money if you have a certain amount of in game money.

Hana-Bi

Won't buy any packs with real money but I like the concept behind those booster packs for the multiplayer mode. I just hope that those weapons and armor bought with booster packs will last forever.

I for one am shocked.

This game is like a parody of everything thats wrong with gaming at the moment.

It really is in a lot of ways. QTEs out the ass, "cinematic" slow-mo every 3 seconds, no skill required auto-aim in multiplayer, and now this.

This game could have been so goddamn cool, what a fucking shame.

strata8

I never knew this was even a thing until my brother bought FIFA. Paid MP games using microtransactions for in-game money? It's nuts.

It wasn't really annoying in ME3, and I played a decent amount of the MP. I never spent a dime, just bought the packs with in-game money when I got enough. Dead Space 3 was the same. Neither game made me feel like I had to spend more money. If it works the same way in Ryse, it won't bother me.

*still hoping the game turns out good*

Syntax

I do not like this trend

I do not like it at all
Neither do I. It was bad enough in Dead Space 3 but I don't want to see this proliferate.

This news and Killer Instinct - another Xbox One exclusive - are making me ever more suspicious of Microsoft. Is this gonna be a thing on their system?

Rapstah

It sounds exactly like Mass Effect. Mass Effect eventually started putting out map packs for free because they figured keeping people playing made them more money than selling the map packs, which was sort of a nice gesture to people who enjoyed playing that MP. I wouldn't expect them to do anything similar with this, and it may not even be applicable with whatever this multiplayer is like (I didn't even know it had actual player vs player multiplayer in the traditional sense up until now) but they could probably get some much-needed goodwill out of players by doing that too.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
To me, it's the same as the optional 'pay to unlock everything' in Burnout Paradise. For people who buy games and don't actually want to play them.

Not the same. In this, you're paying for one of these booster packs, which is a randomized item. Meaning that even if you want to pay for everything, you'll have to gamble your cash in hopes that you get what you want.

strata8

Neither do I. It was bad enough in Dead Space 3 but I don't want to see this proliferate.

This news and Killer Instinct - another Xbox One exclusive - are making me ever more suspicious of Microsoft. Is this gonna be a thing on their system?

This one is probably on Crytek, considering how vocal they've been about moving to F2P.

GHG

So this game has DLC like pretty much every single AAA game released in the past 7+ years?

Its not dlc. You are paying money for additional in game points. You are paying to gain quicker access to content already in the game that you could otherwise get through simply playing the game for a bit longer.

This is a model frequently adopted in F2P games for the devs/publishers to earn money. The issue here is this game is not F2P.

Ein Bear

If they go the Mass Effect route and make all the DLC free as a result of this, then it's awesome news as far as I'm concerned. ME3 multiplayer is the best implementation of microtransactions to date IMO.

test_account

XP-39C²
Why do people say "pay to win"? These things are for unlocks only as far as i can tell, kinda like buying unlock items for other games that you can get by playing the game instead. Or paying to get double XP or something. These things serves as time savers only, i dont see the big deal.

Top Bottom