• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCK: Ryse has (optional) microtransactions.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Sounds like ME3. Still not really sure how I feel about that one. It did result in a fairly good chunk of free content.

Well, they're not forcing anyone to buy the MP packs; if you play enough MP, you'll eventually be able to get them without shelling out cash.

It's unfortunate that there are micro-transactions, but at least you can get the items another way (though it may take much longer).

Persona7

Banned
Its not dlc. You are paying money for additional in game points. You are paying to gain quicker access to content already in the game that you could otherwise get through simply playing the game for a bit longer.

This is a model frequently adopted in F2P games for the devs/publishers to earn money. The issue here is this game is not F2P.

I hope nobody in this thread bought Tales of Xillia.

$h@d0w

"Say for instance a gold pack costs 15,000 gold, [and] you've only got 12,500 you can actually buy the difference and only spend a little bit to make it go to a Gold Pack. So we offer some variety there."

I bet the pricing is such that doing this is more expensive (per gold) than buying a 5k gold pack but costs less as a transaction.

e.g. price difference 2.5k = $3.49, 5k pack = $4.99

Usual F2P tactics.

Best deal indeed.

They could have made it a Greek/ Roman based Demon's Souls basically: setting and monsters from God of War, gameplay from Demon's Souls. It would sell millions.

Instead... what a shame.

Maybe they need the extra money to improve on their last-gen graphics.

ryse3gbpvb.gif

Picobrain

Banned
Total disaster, every little bit of excitement I had for this game is ruined, stupid micro transactions. Before somebody says, but you can still play the game without paying, is missing the point.

Krilekk

Banned
Its not dlc. You are paying money for additional in game points. You are paying to gain quicker access to content already in the game that you could otherwise get through simply playing the game for a bit longer.

This is a model frequently adopted in F2P games for the devs/publishers to earn money. The issue here is this game is not F2P.

This model was invented six years ago by EA when they startet selling faster progression.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I bet the pricing is such that doing this is more expensive (per gold) than buying a 5k gold pack but costs less as a transaction.

e.g. price difference 2.5k = $3.49, 5k pack = $4.99

Usual F2P tactics.

Best deal indeed.

Eh F2P tactics that's business tactics full stop. Ever bought a multipack can of anything.

It sounds like, if I'm understanding right, the game game will only let you buy things if with real money if you have a certain amount of in game money.

No, it's so that you can buy moar Ryse money but you don't have to buy tons of Ryse money if you already have some Ryse money because microtransactions make the videogames go round and buying 1000 gold for a dollar is better than buying 15000 for 15 dollards

Neither do I. It was bad enough in Dead Space 3 but I don't want to see this proliferate.

This news and Killer Instinct - another Xbox One exclusive - are making me ever more suspicious of Microsoft. Is this gonna be a thing on their system?

Remember it was an always online console. Microtransactions and enforcing cool down timers is what that was for.

Things may change over time, but expect all the launch period titles to reflect that.

ciridesu

Nothing wrong with these kinds of microtransactions, unless the required grind is purposefully made impossible.

Too bad the game looks like an abomination though.

Neither do I. It was bad enough in Dead Space 3 but I don't want to see this proliferate.

This news and Killer Instinct - another Xbox One exclusive - are making me ever more suspicious of Microsoft. Is this gonna be a thing on their system?

Exactly what about KI is suspicious?

Injustice and SF4 - 60 bucks for 24 characters - 2.50 per character
KI - 20 bucks for 8 characters - 2.50 per character

GHG

Gold Member
Why? Mobile gaming is the hands down worst offender of them all.

Exactly. Stuff like this is rife on mobile gaming.

I was playing words with friends for the first time the other day and was astounded the find that i could buy a booster that would allow the game to suggest the best words available to me using the letters i have. And this is a multiplayer only game as well. Its all become one big joke.

Real racing was a fantastic mobile game until EA ruined it and went F2P.

Not the same. In this, you're paying for one of these booster packs, which is a randomized item. Meaning that even if you want to pay for everything, you'll have to gamble your cash in hopes that you get what you want.

Ah, my mistake.
So it's more like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer then. I enjoyed ME3's multiplayer quite a bit without putting money into it (aside from buying the game of course), so I would expect I can still have a fun time in Ryse multiplayer, if I buy it.

The way I see it, they'd be stupid not to. People have proven time and time again that they want to pay for this junk. It's the life blood of iOS gaming, and I expect was quite lucrative for EA in Mass Effect 3. As long as you can still enjoy yourself and earn stuff with in-game currency instead of real currency, I am okay with it.

wildfire

Banned
I wonder how many people who actually wanted Ryse before this news will be turned off by this.

The title should be edited. Pay to win is very specific subset of microtransactions.

Hanmik

I thought we already went through this faux outrage with the ME3 multiplayer.

so since we had that discussion back then we should drop these threads..? ehh.. that would be like stop making threads about games, because we allready had a thread about another game..

i have never bought dlc this entire gen, nor will i ever next gen, this isnt the right message microsoft, if you want to keep people playing game, make them earn their weight... FFS

Top Bottom