• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCK: Ryse has (optional) microtransactions.

KKRT00

technically it does not have the caustics.
Yes, but they meant more deformations, reflections, translucency etc :)
I personally threat caustics as a lighting technique more than water rendering feature :) But, yes its in water settings in c3.

Exploiting game mechanics is IMHO irrelevant to the discussion. There are (presumably) systems in place to prevent exploits, and deal with users who abuse them. If there are not, the software is fundamentally flawed as a competitive multiplayer experience out of the gate, and any talk about fairness or options for progression becomes meaningless.

You say that we should be able to pay, so that those with more time or ability don't have an "unfair" advantage. What is unfair, exactly, about putting in time and progression that others do not? I could easily say it's unfair (or terrible design) to equate someone willing to put hundreds of hours into a title, with someone who just started but is willing to throw vast amounts of real money in instead. An unfairness still exists, but now it's not based on skill or time invested, but on disposable income. So the idea of introducing "fairness" by adding real money transactions is not a solution.

You're saying that microtransactions are bad, because they allow players for boosts over other players, but using exploits and spending more time or more efficiently, boosts players over other players in exactly the same way, there never will be fair game in terms of progression.
You can argue that paying for progress or random items is more unfair from conscience standpoint, but in fact they all put You in the same disadvantage to other players.
Thats my point.
You can hate microtransaction, because they cheapen progression for some people, but You cant hate them for giving You disadvantage, because You already are in disadvantage from other means.

I think that:
If someone wants to pay to progress/buy items, its his/her choice,
If someone wants to play 2-3 more than You, its his/her choice,
If someone wants to exploit the game, its his/her choice.
All are equally put You in disadvantage and all dont rely on skill.

So, You can accept that microtransactions are optional and can benefit You and all other players, by bringing free DLCs, embracing developers for its consumer friendly practises to force other to follow the same suit [like in F2P market]
or You can boycott it, dont get nothing, pay for 15$ map packs and still be in disadvantage to other players. Its Your choice.

The next big announcement from Crytek RE: Ryse just came out. Everyone in the world will, for $5, be given access to a special add on that allows you to never have to play Ryse.

Isn't the concept of companies giving people the choice to pay micro transactions to skip the grind or parts of the game sorta like hollywood making movies charge you $1 to use the fast forward button because you don't like a scene or want to get to the ending quicker?

Kater

Banned
I think the guys at Crytek played DLC Quest and took the jokes in the game seriously, because this kind of shit is exactly what DLCQ is all about.
Crytek, stop that nonsense!

Joco

This is easily the worst trend in gaming right now. Either go full out free-to-play or make a respectable full priced title that doesn't have this crap shoveled into it. Don't charge me $60 and then expect me to pay more to get the full experience.

ToyBroker

Banned
Well, they're not forcing anyone to buy the MP packs; if you play enough MP, you'll eventually be able to get them without shelling out cash.

It's unfortunate that there are micro-transactions, but at least you can get the items another way (though it may take much longer).

That's really the issue here.

Every time these microtransactions are added, they always alter the development to accommodate them. Even when they say "the game was developed without these in mind" are flat out lying.

Isn't the concept of companies giving people the choice to pay micro transactions to skip the grind or parts of the game sorta like hollywood making movies charge you $1 to use the fast forward button because you don't like a scene or want to get to the ending quicker?

Exactly! Y buy the game and pay to get thru it? If u got money to blow like that you'd have more fun n a strip club

Jomjom

Banned
If you whiners didn't make MS give up their digital future none of this would have happened! These micro transactions only exist because of those damned used games! The developers have no choice but to do things like this because they have kids to feed and whatnot.

Soi-Fong

If you whiners didn't make MS give up their digital future none of this would have happened! These micro transactions only exist because of those damned used games! The developers have no choice but to do things like this because they have kids to feed and whatnot.

Sarcasm son!

Top Bottom