• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCK: Ryse has (optional) microtransactions.

No, it's so that you can buy moar Ryse money but you don't have to buy tons of Ryse money if you already have some Ryse money because microtransactions make the videogames go round and buying 1000 gold for a dollar is better than buying 15000 for 15 dollards
Yeah exactly, it's taking advantage of you when you're most vulnerable, you've played for 2 hours.. about to go to bed. Go to the store and check out what you can buy and that nice crate is an extra $1. You want to feel like you've achieved something so you click purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZR6-u8OIJTE

Seen as the MP is similar to that of Mass Effect 3 - I don't really see the problem here ...

Yea I played ME3 fine and unlocked everything through the game.

EA has been doing this since the 360 launched, dont see why its so bad as long as the grinds for ingame progression arent astonimcally high.

Exactly what about KI is suspicious?

Injustice and SF4 - 60 bucks for 24 characters - 2.50 per character
KI - 20 bucks for 8 characters - 2.50 per character
How about releasing a complete game with all chracters for the regular price.

When I think about it, imagine if game content were based on price. I mean, imagine for 60 in every game you get the set amount of stages, set amount of gameplay and a set amount of characters. That would be horrible. Lets not encourage that type of philosophy please.

Not gouging, we're charging. If you enjoy something we should probably charge you to allow you to keep enjoying it. If you don't pay we need to create a jail like system of indentured servitude to make sure the people that don't pay quit playing. We will call this system the grind, mostly because we are literally going to be grinding down their will. Either they purchase our gold packs and enjoy themselves or they can leave.

Honestly, so many games this gen have had completely broken gameplay dynamics in order to sell you some virtual garbage that has a one time cost to produce but has no cost to replicate an infinite amount of times. People call bullshit on bitcoins, I'm calling bullshit on gold coins, points, and any other form of virtual currency that you need to play a goddamn videogame.

Syntax

Remember it was an always online console. Microtransactions and enforcing cool down timers is what that was for.

Things may change over time, but expect all the launch period titles to reflect that.
If that holds true, then things don't look so bright.

Some developers have openly said of their (F2P) games that when selling things like xp boosts, if the items don't sell we'll because there's no perceived need, they will create that need. I can easily see the same philosophy being applied to any game with micro transactions, purposefully creating grinds or otherwise unfavorable conditions to press sales.

That's my concern. These games are buy-to-play for cryin' out loud.

Hanmik

maybe it works like this,..

Buy our armour pack* for only 19.99$

*- if not this will happen

throughzaknj.gif

Relax guys, no is making you buy the DLC.

Its ok to have options. Far out.

This is the most annoying argument, they are making you buy the dlc, yes they can't physically grab your credit card and ram those digits in. But they can make the game unenjoyable enough to play without paying that you feel obligated to. So I end up quitting a bunch of games 6 hours in when I realize they're going to hold my fun for ransome so they can get some of that microtransaction loot.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Isn't pay to win mobile (phone) gaming exclusive?

Please.. FOR FUCKS SAKE DONT MAKE IT INTO THE CONSOLE WORLD..

Sturm

Banned
What the hell? This doesn't seem to fit in this kind of game, at all.. not even mentioning the fact that these sort of bussinesses are ruining the entire game experience.

user1337

Are these one use items you are paying for.

I can safely say I will never pay for items like that.

if its anything like ME3, then no. The armours/weapons will be permanment, but it is possible there may be other usable items, which will be one use yes.

My issue with this is that it is RANDOM!

You cannot pick what you want, so say the gold package costs $5....you could spend $100 and get stuff you dont actually want, or even unlock the same stuff multiple times.

There was a youtube video where some site spent $100 on ME3 to buy the top package (when they only went up to gold) and concluded it wasnt worth the money at all!

I don't want to call people out for their age but I do wonder why people defend this as "choices". These gambling scams never existed in games, you paid for the whole game, maybe you had to be really good to unlock something but you didn't have to invest time by grinding so blatantly. This transitional period of "faux uproar" as one poster chides will probably be a short term blip. The new generation of gamers who have only known these schemes won't have anything to compare it to.

Syntax

Exactly what about KI is suspicious?

Injustice and SF4 - 60 bucks for 24 characters - 2.50 per character
KI - 20 bucks for 8 characters - 2.50 per character
With traditional fighting games you usually pay between $40 to $60 for the game and have access to all characters available on day one. DLC fighters might come out and be available for a fee.

Killer Instinct is free to play and gives you access to only one fighter with the option of purchasing additional characters at $4.99 each. This doesn't seem that bad considering it costs nothing to play the base game. But one should quickly realize that the base game is really a demo. My problem - the suspicion behind this - is the way the whole thing is presented. If they just sold it as a $40 game (the ultra or whatever package) or a $20 game it would make more sense. As it stands - while potentially a better deal if you know which fighter you want and don't plan to explore - the whole issue feels like a scam to get you to pony up $5 incrementally in what is initially a glorified demo, selling you a game piecemeal through micro transactions.

legend166

This stuff is just the worst.

Not only is it paying to advance in multi-player, which by itself is stupid, it adds that extra layer of what basically amounts to gambling by selling things in these 'packs' instead of just letting you get what you want.

Hate it, hate it, hate it.

And anyone who thinks that it's no problem because you can just earn the things anyway really need to thing for a minute and consider how these type of systems would fundamentally change game design.

mclem

I need a better handle on what armour is and what it entails before I fully understand what demands this is making of the players.

* Is there a bonus benefit for collecting a set?
* Are the pieces distributed evenly?
* How do the armour bonuses affect gameplay in PvP?
* Is there an objectively 'best' set?
* Is there a means of trading duplicates?
* Is the range of armour available going to change over time?

I'm not offended by its existence as such, but this does lower my perception of the value of the title. Given I wasn't that interested in it from the outset, that's no great change, really.

This doesn't seem too bad as long as these items aren't things you can only get with real money and/or aren't made stupidly hard or time consuming to get without paying.

My thing is though, I don't really get why multiplayer needs to have unlocks to begin with. I know I'm kinda of getting into "get off my lawn" territory here, but I just remember there were plenty of multiplayer games in the past that I put a lot of time into simply because they were fun to play and hone my skills at, not because the game promised me a reward if I played long enough.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The pay to win/edge/gameplay boost type?

On consoles it should never go past cosmetic shit :/

Did you not play ME3 multiplayer? (Which was awesome mind you). Didn't buy jack but the free characters weapons and maps were nice. If it's between crap you don't actually need (like in ME3) and holding completely holding out content, I'd take the former.

I hope you know asking whether anyone bought Tales of Xillia doesn't change the fact you were wrong into comparing this to dlc when it's not.

I don't know about Tales of Xillia but Tales of Vesperia was one of the first games I remember selling you "gold dlc" (selling in game money for real money) on consoles.

GHG

Gold Member
This doesn't seem too bad as long as these items aren't things you can only get with real money and/or aren't made stupidly hard or time consuming to get without paying.

My thing is though, I don't really get why multiplayer needs to have unlocks to begin with. I know I'm kinda of getting into "get off my lawn" territory here, but I just remember there were plenty of multiplayer games in the past that I put a lot of time into simply because they were fun to play and hone my skills at, not because the game promised me a reward if I played long enough.

You can thank the success of COD for that.

Isn't pay to win mobile (phone) gaming exclusive?

Please.. FOR FUCKS SAKE DONT MAKE IT INTO THE CONSOLE WORLD..

Dude this already happened in mass effect and if im not mistaken is also in BF4?
instead of playing 3 matches and earn gold you can just spend the money and get gold to buy packs.

I find this a shitty development but its not an deal breaker.

mclem

As it stands - while potentially a better deal if you know which fighter you want and don't plan to explore - the whole issue feels like a scam to get you to pony up $5 incrementally in what is initially a glorified demo, selling you a game piecemeal through micro transactions.

I just... don't inherently see that as *bad*, as such. Why is purchasing the components of a game piecemeal depending on your taste a bad thing?

(Not that that's what's going on here, since here we're talking what appear to be blindboxes, and they're a rather different kettle of fish)

derFeef

yep. no way this game going to average below 80.

if MS isn't tied to this game, it will probably score like what Crysis 3 did.

Jesus christ you guys, lol.
If anything, the German press will love it since it's a Crytek game. The Crysis 3 reviews in some German magazines are disgusting.

KKRT00

And anyone who thinks that it's no problem because you can just earn the things anyway really need to thing for a minute and consider how these type of systems would fundamentally change game design.

Or You could just check Mass Effect 3 MP and see how that worked out.

The only way this could be if they block MP DLCs behind pay-wall, but they probably wont if they take ME 3 as inspiration and their own Warface.

Top Bottom