• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCK: Ryse has (optional) microtransactions.

This. The mass effect model is great for it. Unlock with in game currency OR pay money to unlock them faster.

No one is forcing you to do it. Stop faking outrage.

The problem is when these games are designed with these things in mind from day one, as this one obviously was judging by crytek's comments on f2p and ea's scumbaggery. I would bet anything that an inconvienience is applied to people who don't purchase these little prices of robbery over the course of the game.

TheD

The Detective
This. The mass effect model is great for it. Unlock with in game currency OR pay money to unlock them faster.

No one is forcing you to do it. Stop faking outrage.

Just because you are a pushover does not mean other people are "faking outrage"!

Maybe they need the extra money to improve on their last-gen graphics.

ryse3gbpvb.gif

Is that oil or water? D:

With traditional fighting games you usually pay between $40 to $60 for the game and have access to all characters available on day one. DLC fighters might come out and be available for a fee.

Killer Instinct is free to play and gives you access to only one fighter with the option of purchasing additional characters at $4.99 each. This doesn't seem that bad considering it costs nothing to play the base game. But one should quickly realize that the base game is really a demo. My problem - the suspicion behind this - is the way the whole thing is presented. If they just sold it as a $40 game (the ultra or whatever package) or a $20 game it would make more sense. As it stands - while potentially a better deal if you know which fighter you want and don't plan to explore - the whole issue feels like a scam to get you to pony up $5 incrementally in what is initially a glorified demo, selling you a game piecemeal through micro transactions.
They should of went the Tekken Revolution route. Wait....

Syntax

I just... don't inherently see that as *bad*, as such. Why is purchasing the components of a game piecemeal depending on your taste a bad thing?

(Not that that's what's going on here, since here we're talking what appear to be blindboxes, and they're a rather different kettle of fish)
It isn't inherently bad. We can consider expansion packs a similar proposition. Pick the ones you like skip the ones you don't.

If it becomes pervasive enough, however, then we effectively turn games into a service. It could be fine for some folks or some genres (none immediately come to mind) but I at least see that as a negative.

Just because you are a pushover does not mean other people are "faking outrage"!

lol not quite. I put in 400 hours with ME3 and the model works fine. People who paid money didnt have an advantage over people who didnt as the drop rates were exactly the same. I dont think many of the people here understand the concept - hence the outrage.

its easy, the more you play, the more credits you accumulate and the more stuff you can buy - they want you to keep playing to unlock things.

While i dont agree with ME3's UR drop rate i agree with the concept over all - most people dont bother to spend money and just keep playing the game.

Walshicus

If they go the Mass Effect route and make all the DLC free as a result of this, then it's awesome news as far as I'm concerned. ME3 multiplayer is the best implementation of microtransactions to date IMO.

Definitely. The Mass Effect 3 route is hard to top.

GorillaJu

I don't personally have a problem with this kind of thing, so long as it doesn't give people an advantage in competitive multiplayer. If it's just cosmetics, or how it was done in ME3, then that to me is no biggie at all...

The problem is when these games are designed with these things in mind from day one, as this one obviously was judging by crytek's comments on f2p and ea's scumbaggery. I would bet anything that an inconvienience is applied to people who don't purchase these little prices of robbery over the course of the game.

If its following the same EA model as used in Mass Effect, then it really makes no difference. You accumulate in game credits to buy random drops - so you arent guaranteed an advantage as you may not get the piece you want.

The mass effect model was fantastic. all the expansions and ME DLC were free. We had something like 50 characters at the end of the game and heaps of stages and hazard maps and even more weapons and mods. All free. You didnt have to pay a cent to unlock them if you didnt want to.

The people familiar with this model really wouldnt be coming in here with "LOL FUCK OFF" as its really fair to the end user.

Kinyou

If they go the Mass Effect route and make all the DLC free as a result of this, then it's awesome news as far as I'm concerned. ME3 multiplayer is the best implementation of microtransactions to date IMO.

this

Didn't happen in Mass Effect 3 or DS3 (remember that outrage?) even though they were designed with microtransaction in mind from day one

cacildo

Will get a 9.0 on IGN

IF it was a sequel with hype going on, it would be 9.5 or 10. But since its the first in the franchise, only 9.

If its following the same EA model as used in Mass Effect, then it really makes no difference. You accumulate in game credits to buy random drops - so you arent guaranteed an advantage as you may not get the piece you want.

So making people spend random amounts of money to acquire an item in a game they'd like to enjoy is the best way to do micro-transactions now? Honestly you may enjoy gambling but I don't, I like being in control of my games so I can pick what I find enjoyable.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
If the game is just coop online then alright, but if it's competitive multiplayer then yeah this game is officially a damn joke.

So making people spend random amounts of money to acquire an item in a game they'd like to enjoy is the best way to do micro-transactions now? Honestly you may enjoy gambling but I don't, I like being in control of my games so I can pick what I find enjoyable.

I dont think you quite understand it so i will try to be more clear.

If it is the ME3 model, you dont have to actually spend a cent. you spend IN GAME CURRENCY (that is, not real money which you would use in real life) which you accumulate from playing the game more.

I dont know how much simpler i can make it. it's nothing to get riled up about - its actually a pretty good system.

Kinyou

No one is making people pay money. You can get all the stuff just by playing the game as well

No one is making people pay money. You can get all the stuff just by playing the game as well

Dont bother dude - he's not going to understand it. im very sure people read the thread title and see its about MS and then go crazy on how much they hate it, rather than reading and understanding. Im not sure how much clearer we could have made it really....

It's fun to hate on Ryse, for whatever the minor reason there is.

But the thing is, there is actually no reason to hate here. you can buy the game and play it for as long as you want and unlock everything for free - or you can pay money - its your choice. I dont think i spent a cent on ME3 DLC multiplayer and my manifest is full beyond a few UR's.

The trolling in these threads is really ridiculous and nothing is done about it, its such a shame to have to put up with all this shit and people still dont listen.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Oh thank God! Microtransactions are really going to allow me to leverage my existing time investment in my paid job to further my gaming goals in new and convenient ways.

Thanks Microsoft! Thank you for helping me out with my leveling up! For money!

I spit on you.

People are missing out on the fact that ME3's MP was co-op, which is why paying for better gear was okay.

Ryse is competitive as far as I know, so that's where the toe hits the shoe.

If not, bury me, kill me etc.

they should make it a "timed exclusive" too so you pay for content that should already be in the game and actually "own"/rent it for a limited time only!

TwiztidElf

I really, really hope that they start labeling the information section of the box with "*Game contains non-dlc micro-transactions", so I can easily avoid said games.
I'm not holding my breath though.

jet1911

But the thing is, there is actually no reason to hate here. you can buy the game and play it for as long as you want and unlock everything for free - or you can pay money - its your choice. I dont think i spent a cent on ME3 DLC multiplayer and my manifest is full beyond a few UR's.

The trolling in these threads is really ridiculous and nothing is done about it, its such a shame to have to put up with all this shit and people still dont listen.

Haha yeah I know that. After the console launch it should be a bit better I guess. :p

Microtransactions is the Dead Space 3 model, not the Mass Effect model. Where's the confusion?

Where did you get that?

Original Post said:
Ryse: Son of Rome will feature microtransactions to help players accelerate their progression within the game's multiplayer mode, it has been revealed.

"When we talk about the progression system for multiplayer, it's armour-based," said the producer.

"The way that you get armour is very similar to how you get it in like Mass Effect or FIFA. You only earn gold while playing multiplayer [and] you use that gold to buy booster packs. Those booster packs contain random sets of loot. Based on the different tiers of loot that you get - whether you buy Bronze, Silver or Gold Packs - guarantees whether you get rare or common items.

"One of the things that we did a little different is that you can buy them with in-game currency and real world currency. The difference is that if you're close we also have small microtransactions.

"Say for instance a gold pack costs 15,000 gold, [and] you've only got 12,500 you can actually buy the difference and only spend a little bit to make it go to a Gold Pack. So we offer some variety there."

that is literally the exact same system as Mass Effect.

to clarify - YOU DONT NEED TO SPEND ANY MONEY.

Top Bottom