• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Saint's Row 4

• PS3 has 960x720 resolution with QAA resulting in a soft look
  • Xbox 360 has native 720p along with 2x MSAA resulting in a far better IQ than PS3
  • The core artwork remains the same between both version of the game
  • Alpha buffers are rendered in a lower resolution on PS3
  • Xbox 360 has better AF and aggressive level of streaming compared to PS3
  • Game runs with unlocked frame rate and no vsync on both platforms
  • Cutscenes run with vsync engaged on both platforms
  • Xbox 360 version has the option to toggle Vsyn Off/On in Options menu

It's rather unfortunate that the game is compromised by its technical failings on the consoles, in which some poor performance issues negatively impact the gameplay experience, with latency-heavy controls clearly compromising the fun whenever the engine is under load. In terms of overall consistency and performance, there's not much in it between the 360 and PS3 versions, though it's the Xbox 360 game that's the one to have if you're in the position of choosing between the two platforms owing to its resolution, image quality and streaming advantages. The action is a little smoother and the sharper image is definitely preferable this time around compared with the situation in Saints Row: The Third, where the softer nature of the PS3 release is joined with comparable performance to the 360, but without the screen tear.

That said, the console versions of Saints Row 4 fall well short compared to the PC game, where the opportunity for smoother and more stable frame-rates dramatically transforms the core gameplay experience, making it far more enjoyable as a result. The graphical upgrades in other areas might not be a colossal leap forward over the 360 game, but the combination of more refined visuals and better performance make it the preferred choice. The same holds true when running the game on reasonably low-spec machines, in which the ability to run at a solid 30fps in 720p or 1080p provides a similarly welcome upgrade over the console releases, even without achieving the aspirational 60fps experience that represents the minimal requirement for enthusiast PC gaming. PC should be first choice then, as you would expect at this late stage in the console cycle.

360_014.png

PS3_014.png

PC_014.png

360_038.png

PS3_038.png

PC_038.png

360_041.png

PS3_041.png

PC_041.png

DF Face-Off: Saint's Row 4

"PS3 has 960x720 resolution with QAA resulting in a soft look"

Ouch! That's gonna leave some people blind.

And those trees, lol.

Mafro

I was really surprised to see a V-sync option in the 360 version. I don't think I've seen that in a console game since Bioshock 1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
960x720 QAA Vs 1280x720 2xMSAA is a pretty big difference. How was Saints Row 3? (Downloaded for free with PS+ but never played it..)

SmokyDave

Yeah, I picked this up on PS3 last night. Ouch.

It's as much fun as a bathtub full of lubed-up strippers, but a looker it ain't. The screen tearing in particular is driving me nuts.

Ah well, I'll grab the PC version in a Steam sale.

Eusis

"PS3 has 960x720 resolution with QAA resulting in a soft look"

Ouch! That's gonna leave some people blind.

And those trees, lol.
Yeah, I have to admit starting the game was kind of like being submerged in ice water after playing SR3 on PC. It was like going to a rougher late gen PS2 game or something, though I got used to it in the end. Still, I'll gladly buy on PC once it goes on sale and am glad PS3's just as a rental.
Wasn't Saints Row The Third better on the PS3? I might be wrong but I think it was
Yeah, and I was expecting similar here. Well, it seems rougher technically in general, Deep Silver probably didn't emphasize that as much or wanted to be sure it was out before GTAV, not sure I can blame them there admittedly.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wasn't Saints Row The Third better on the PS3? I might be wrong but I think it was

960x720 QAA Vs 1280x720 2xMSAA is a pretty big difference. How was Saints Row 3? (Downloaded for free with PS+ but never played it..)

SR3 received the nod on the PS3, they both had the same rendering resolution and everything.

Not sure what it is in SR4 that caused the huge resolution drop on PS3.

I saw the 360 version and that ran and looked bad enough, ps3 version being worse is... Not good. PC version all the way, those consoles can't handle that quick streaming of stuff required in SR4.

It was indeed.

When it comes down to the final analysis of the console versions it's all about compromises when deciding which one to go for, but if we had to choose between the two we'd take the PS3 release for the lack of screen tearing, seeing as this has far more impact on your enjoyment of the game than the drop in image quality. Alternatively, if the 360 version is your only option, by all means pick it up instead - the content is identical between releases and most of the fun comes from the madcap antics on offer. The technical issues - while unfortunate - aren't deal-breakers.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-saints-row-the-third

Edit: Beaten

mrklaw

MrArseFace
are devs just giving up on current gen at this point? They're just going with normal PC engines and then just doing a basic port.

Erasus

Wow.

Real test now is GTA5 but... wow. So bad.
PS3 can do way better.

QAA?? Sure, KZ2 used it in 2009 but we got MLAA or even FXAA now. Did they even try?

This isn't a pretty game on 360, so get it on PC if you have the option. If you have to pick between the consoles, then the 360 is the obvious choice. I'm loving the game on my 360 but I'm not a graphics whore.

Erasus

This isn't a pretty game on 360, so get it on PC if you have the option. If you have to pick between the consoles, then the 360 is the obvious choice. I'm loving the game on my 360 but I'm not a graphics whore.

Stop this stuff now. Please. Even GB came out and said the framerate drops on 360 compared to PC affects gameplay, how you traverse the world, how you aim your weapons/powers.

"Graphics whore" to me is complaining about a bad SSAO implementation or a slightly lower shadow map or lightning or something. Not something major like framerate drops and no v-sync.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dear god at the ground textures in the PS3 shot at night there, that's seriously ugly stuff.

This gen has gone on long enough. Thank god for PC keeping things relatively sane while waiting for the next gen. 960x720 in 2013? Yikes.

ufo8mycat

Hmmm surely those 360/PS3 shots are bullshots?

Because the PS3, especially the 360 screens don't look THAT much worse, then the PC screens, unless you are nitpicking.

I am pretty sure PC looks better then those screens also

What gives?

360 shots bullshots?

It takes quite a beastly PC to run this with all the bells and whistles too. I had to turn off all the post processing to get an acceptable frame rate at 720p on my rMBP with GeForce GTX 650M.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

It's as much fun as a bathtub full of lubed-up strippers, but a looker it ain't. The screen tearing in particular is driving me nuts.

I loved 2 and 3 but couldn't play the first because of screen tearing on the 360.

Anyone care to comment on screen tearing on 360 version?

Shearie

Wouldn't the bathtub wash all the lube off the strippers making for much less fun?

Edit - Nevermind. For some some reason I never even conceived of a bathtub without water. :)

Radec

These devs should be able to create better looking games than their past games on the PS360, not the other, way around lol.

Ein Bear

Seems more like a case of crappy developers than ageing consoles, tbh. The Saints Row games have been pretty rough, tech-wise, ever since the first one.

Zarx

Why are the PC screens so jaggy? Aren't there any decent AA methods built into the game? If it's running MSAA on X360 surely they should have that as an option on PC.

Oh well considering how dated the game looks even on PC down-sampling is probably a viable option for most PC gamers even without enthusiast level hardware.

Sorral

They made SR3 good, but they couldn't keep SR4 at the same quality level as SR3 on PS3?

Weird. I can't stand the 'too soft' look once I have seen it.

SmokyDave

I'm looking forward to GTA5 (I've booked the launch week off work), but it's no replacement for Saint's Row. In the first five hours I've already seen tons of crazy shit that I can't imagine ever seeing in a game like GTA. On the other hand, GTA ain't going to be anywhere near this janky.

They're like Sonic 2 and Super Mario World. You really want to play both because they have their own charms.

I loved 2 and 3 but couldn't play the first because of screen tearing on the 360.

Anyone care to comment on screen tearing on 360 version?
360 version lets you enable v-sync.

Wouldn't the bathtub wash all the lube off the strippers making for much less fun?

Edit - Nevermind. For some some reason I never even conceived of a bathtub without water. :)
Nice mental picture, ain't it :)

Bittercup

Surprisingly disappointing PS3 version. The image quality in SR3 wasn't exactly great either, but 720p and with vsync. That's a big drop with SR4 and I wonder what caused this.

ufo8mycat

Just to elaborate on my last post

I am not saying the PC screens shown here don't have any difference to the 360 screens, yes of course there is a difference, but look at it in perspective.

360 is how old 7 year old hardware?, compare to I assume those PC screens are Highest detail - the difference really is not THAT big, should be A LOT bigger, considering the difference in hardware specifications.

Obviously just a very very dated game by PC standards.

Will most likely pick this game up in a few weeks, once I have finished the games I am playing now

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just to elaborate on my last post

I am not saying the PC screens shown here don't have any difference to the 360 screens, yes of course there is a difference, but look at it in perspective.

360 is how old 7 year old hardware?, compare to I assume those PC screens are Highest detail - the difference really is not THAT big, should be A LOT bigger, considering the difference in hardware specifications.

Obviously just a very very dated game by PC standards.
Doesn't DF try to match console settings in their screens?

Top Bottom