• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Saint's Row 4

Thanks for the original version of ZOE HD, and this shitty port.
What a pathetic compañy...
danger-hvs.jpg

Oh wow, didn't know High Voltage is responsible for this travesty. They can switch to iOS gaming for all I care.

Erasus

I honestly don't care about frame or graphics. Long as it's running at at least 30fps i don't mind. I rarely ever even go in my graphical settings to max out or change things on PC. I just boot it up and go.

99% of the time i open that graphical menu is to turn vsync on.

But this game, and many others like The Last Of Us, dont.

And you should really take 30mins to read up on PC settings and change them, please. Auto detect is often bad.

TxdoHawk

I feel like such a hypocrite because when I look at the IQ comparsions, I find it hard to care.

But when it comes to framerate, im such a stickler

It's a perfectly reasonable set of choices, especially in this game, where you wind up sprinting at high speeds and engaging in fast combat. IQ, on the other hand, doesn't impact the gameplay.

EGM1966

Hang on they took the profits from SR3, invested them in SR4 and managed to make the engine and tech worse?

How is that even possible? Worst case you take the engine and tweak it a bit to produce minor improvements I can't conceive of how you make it worse - unless they just threw in a bunch of new mechanics that the engine struggled to manage and just though screw it the players won't mind so long as the game's crazy enough (pausing for thought they might sadly be right on that one).

omonimo

Banned
Jesus Christ 960x720p on ps3? is it a joke? I'm really disgusted. Thanks to God ps4 come to November, I'm tired to see this sh!t on the sony console. But really, it's inexcusable, when the same SR 3 was even better of the 360, what the hell it's happened to the engine?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I just bought this game on the PS3 yesterday and knew immediately that it looked worse than SR3. I'm just not having fun with the game too, so disappointing.

BigDes

Hang on they took the profits from SR3, invested them in SR4 and managed to make the engine and tech worse?

How is that even possible? Worst case you take the engine and tweak it a bit to produce minor improvements I can't conceive of how you make it worse - unless they just threw in a bunch of new mechanics that the engine struggled to manage and just though screw it the players won't mind so long as the game's crazy enough (pausing for thought they might sadly be right on that one).

I don't think there were many profits from SR3 considering what happened to THQ

dan2026

So PS3 looks like shit and runs like shit.

And the 360 just runs like shit.

Aaaaand I don't have a PC capable of running this game.

Shameful display from the developers.

omonimo

Banned
The current HD twins are dead. Just dead. Hurry up Xbone and PS4.

Of course, but what they have did on ps3 it's too much even for the ps3 age. The hell. At least, with this low res would achieve a more steady fps. Not sure why they have decreased so much pixels numbers at this point & with QAA? What a disaster. I hope for a patch, but I'm lolling for my desperation.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
GTA IV had the same kind of issues on PS3. Just a blurry mess.

Not sure why SR4 would look worse than SR3 though.

Depends what effects etc they're using on consoles, there's a lot more stream rendering, as a lot of missions occur in the open world itself rather than a separate instance (with loading screen etc in SR3) The world isn't also static as there's various graphical glitches that occur to make it seem more obvious your playing in a computer program (e.g when you enter the simulation it's just a black space with yellow boxes and then changes to it's normal look) whereas in SR3 everything is pretty much static. Then you have the various powers and abilities interacting with the world.

omonimo

Banned
Depends what effects etc they're using on consoles, there's a lot more stream rendering, as a lot of missions occur in the open world itself rather than a separate instance (with loading screen etc in SR3) The world isn't also static as there's various graphical glitches that occur to make it seem more obvious your playing in a computer program (e.g when you enter the simulation it's just a black space with yellow boxes and then changes to it's normal look) whereas in SR3 everything is pretty much static. Then you have the various powers and abilities interacting with the world.
But still it's a shitty job on ps3. imho. 960x720p are not excusable, not with the same fps of 360.

skybald

Game does not even look that good visually. There are other games that stream the world almost as fast and don't have as much a problem doing so. If they could have waited for DAT next-gen RAM, they could have made a decent console version.

Why even put out such a performance-gimped game is beyond me because even the general public recognizes frame drops that extreme and they will have them in mind still when the fifth game comes out.

njean777

Yep. I feel sorry for anyone who has to buy this game on console. It's a great game on PC.

Do not feel bad, I am playing it just fine on ps3, it runs fine and I am having no problems playing the game at all. A bunch of hyperbole going around saying it is unplayable. I notice it runs worse, but it isn't unplayable at all.

Game does not even look that good visually. There are other games that stream the world almost as fast and don't have as much a problem doing so. If they could have waited for DAT next-gen RAM, they could have made a decent console version.

Why even put out such a performance-gimped game is beyond me because even the general public recognizes frame drops that extreme and they will have them in mind still when the fifth game comes out.

A SR4 PS4/XBONE launch release would have been awesome though I agree, could have gotten it some more attention as well since GTA 5 is not releasing on the next gen consoles as of yet.

omonimo

Banned
Do not feel bad, I am playing it just fine on ps3, it runs fine and I am having no problems playing the game at all. A bunch of hyperbole going around saying it is unplayable.

No one said is unplayable, it's just horrible graphically on console. especially on ps3.

The game suffers so much because of the speed running superpower im guessing. You literally run at like 400mph all over the game and the constant streaming it has to do.

njean777

No one said is unplayable, it's just horrible graphically on console. especially on ps3.

Oh yeah I agree, it looks like a ps2 game, but I am not a graphics whore so it never has bothered me. As long as the game is fun to play is what matters to me.

omonimo

Banned
Oh yeah I agree, it looks like a ps2 game, but I am not a graphics whore so it never has bothered me. As long as the game is fun to play is what matters to me.
I'm not saying is not funny to play, but I find unacceptable to play a game in 2013 at 960x720p with an average of 25 fps & tons of tearing, on my ps3. If you give me 960x720p, 30 fps should be mandatory. I avoid to support such things on console, even if the game is funny. Especially when a game like GTA V is in coming.

njean777

I'm not saying is not funny to play, but I find unacceptable to play a game in 2013 at 960x720p with an average of 25 fps & tons of tearing, on my ps3. If you give me 960x720p, 30 fps should be mandatory. I avoid to support such things on console, even if the game is funny. Especially when a game like GTA V is in coming.

Yeah I can see your argument.

Haunted

console versions look like shit and run like shit

PC version as per Digitalfoundry looks like shit and runs fine

PC version in reality looks ok-ish and runs fine

Not a great technical package for a 2013 release, imo.

EGM1966

I don't think there were many profits from SR3 considering what happened to THQ

Tue - forgot that angle - but heck you'd just take current engine and produce another game with it then surely? I still can't fathom how they went backwards technically on PS3 - unless they put a bit more effort into 360 this time and managed to mess up PS3 version in the process (although I'd figure two code bases but who knows).

Doesn't matter in the end I guess - they managed to mess up the PS3 version vs 360 this time around.

TheExodu5

Banned
I really do wish Eurogamer would match black levels when posting comparison shots. The black levels in the PC shots are way too high.

Krakn3Dfx

Looks like Deep Silver trying to skate this onto the market on the good will from 3, what a shame, I'll pick it up cheap on the PC at some point next year after GTA5 and the next gen initial frenzy.

Poorly played Deep Silver.

I was wondering why the Inauguration Station looked so damn blurry. I was going to get this on PS3 first and then PC later just like I did with SR3 (PC was broken on both occasions) but this is ridiculous. They can't hit a stable frame rate at that resolution? I'll pick up the GOTY edition on a steam sale then. Or maybe not. Volition has really been grinding my gears lately.

Had no idea HighVoltage were behind this. I think it's safe to assume that this could've turned out a lot better in the hands of a competent developer.

Duxxy3

Can't wait for next gen. Crap resolutions and lack of AA/AF are the bane of the second half of this generation.

Top Bottom