• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Saint's Row 4

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so what happened between SR3 and SR4 that SR4 looks so bad on PS3?

Don't forget that THQ fired an entire team at Volition before they died, so maybe the guys who worked on SR3 PS3 port are no longer with Volition or Volition right now just lack manpower.

Grisby

Well, probably pick up the 360 one whenever I get around to buying it. A change from Sr 3, wonder what happend.

Darknight

Wow at PS3 resolution. Shit is horrid. Glad I have it on PC where I can run it at 1080p no problem. This gen needs to die already. Im sure ill get this game on Steam eventually.

SmokyDave

So the game is complete shit on PS3? The moment I get my PC situation straight is when I'll dive in.
It depends how sensitive you are to this stuff, I guess. I'm loving it personally, but there's no doubt that the IQ and framerate are ropey. It's still a great feeling to land from a 200ft jump, slide through a dudes legs and then flip him over by his balls.

Lunzio

Glad I have a PC rig that can blow anything current out of the water.

Real shame that PS3 ports are still having trouble. Bring on next-gen.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Wait wtf happened between SR3 and 4. SR3 PS3 ran waaay better than on 360 and now it's switched around for SR4?

Damn it's the same city and graphics too but with super powers.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sounds like it's awful on both consoles. They should have made this a launch next gen title.

my guess is that they wanted to release this as fast as possible -and before GTA5- no matter what since it's not really a full new SR game and was originally a dlc and then start first on next gen consoles with a real new SR.

Kurdel

Banned
my guess is that they wanted to release this as fast as possible -and before GTA5- no matter what since it's not really a full new SR game and was originally a dlc and then start first on next gen consoles with a real new SR.

And the PC version is perfect.

If they had less time to optimize for consoles, then that's probably true, but I am glad they disn't compromise the PC experience.

Nethaniah

And the PC version is perfect.

If they had less time to optimize for consoles, then that's probably true, but I am glad they disn't compromise the PC experience.

The PC version isn't that well optimized for what it's showing on my screen, same as SR3 it's better than console versions but still lacking, in graphics and performance imo.

Eusis

Did HVS really do the PS3 port, or did they just help with assets? If it's the former... wow, this is infinitely more damning than ZoE to be honest, at least ZoE had the excuse of using esoteric advantages of the PS2 hardware that seemingly took fully utilization of the SPUs to not only match but surpass. This is built off a game that had a great PS3 port, so what the fuck?

Though like I said before I do suspect the game got rushed to be out before GTAV. Don't forget SR3 was comfortably a November release, not late August.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Did HVS really do the PS3 port, or did they just help with assets? If it's the former... wow, this is infinitely more damning than ZoE to be honest, at least ZoE had the excuse of using esoteric advantages of the PS2 hardware that seemingly took fully utilization of the SPUs to not only match but surpass. This is built off a game that had a great PS3 port, so what the fuck?

Though like I said before I do suspect the game got rushed to be out before GTAV. Don't forget SR3 was comfortably a November release, not late August.

What was the problem with ZoE?

CatPee

What was the problem with ZoE?

20-40fps, missing effects + present ones rendered at half/quarter resolution, shitty and jittery blur effect, extremely inaccurate lighting compared to original, HUD not properly scaled to HD resolution (stretched HUD... in 2012), no anti-aliasing, etc.

Calling it a travesty was an understatement. Fuck Deep Silver for being cheap enough to hire these guys after what they did.

see5harp

I was gonna red box the 360 version but I'll probably just pick the up pc version instead

I'd pick it up in a sale. I'm gameflying the 360 version and besides the framerate, I'm having fun. It feels like Ultimate Spiderman (as Venom) or that Hulk game mixed with Crackdown.

denx

So the game is poorly optimized across the board? It still runs like ass in lower-ish spec PC's like SR3 did?

Nethaniah

So the game is poorly optimized across the board? It still runs like ass in lower-ish spec PC's like SR3 did?

It appears to run mostly the same (also has pretty much the same options in the menu's), though i only played it in DX11 so far so can't speak for the DX9 client.

denx

It appears to run mostly the same (also has pretty much the same options in the menu's), though i only played it in DX11 so far so can't speak for the DX9 client.

Ugh, so their engine is still a mess. Thanks, I'll get this game when it is cheap on a sale.

No Love

Banned
Wow how absolutely shameful. I'm glad I gave up getting multiplatforms on 360/PS3 years ago, PC versions always seem to be 10x better. What a slap in the face to PS3 owners.

coldfoot

Banned
Ubisoft better release a HD version of this game on the PS4/Xbone, it's recent enough that they can probably fork off a port from the PC version and have it run at 1080p/30 without much effort.

sunnz

The game looks very good graphically ( PC, ultra), especially the particle effects when you blow up vehicles.

Next gen version would have been very good.

BPoole

Looks like the game is pretty poor on both consoles. I kind of figured it would when I saw gameplay of the fast running and super high jumps. Glad I have access to a PC to play this

Top Bottom