• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Saint's Row 4

360 is how old 7 year old hardware?, compare to I assume those PC screens are Highest detail - the difference really is not THAT big, should be A LOT bigger, considering the difference in hardware specifications.

There's no way these are PC high!! DF must gimp the PC version, do they use a PC with a GPU from around the 360 launch?

Just to elaborate on my last post

I am not saying the PC screens shown here don't have any difference to the 360 screens, yes of course there is a difference, but look at it in perspective.

360 is how old 7 year old hardware?, compare to I assume those PC screens are Highest detail - the difference really is not THAT big, should be A LOT bigger, considering the difference in hardware specifications.

Obviously just a very very dated game by PC standards.

Will most likely pick this game up in a few weeks, once I have finished the games I am playing now

DF purposely gimps their PC shots to remain consistent with the console versions.

IcyEyes

Technically SR4 is terrible on every platform, but I don't care, I love this game!
In comparison GtA5 looks like next-gen !

They only run it at the same res, everything else is maxed AFAIK.
Yeh, they don't really gimp the PC version, just run it at the console resolution i.e 720p

In comparison, the basic set-up of the Xbox 360 game is far more pleasing to the eye: a native 720p framebuffer is joined by 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing (MSAA), which delivers a crisper and clearer image that doesn't appear too far behind the graphically superior PC game running at the same resolution; outside of the occasional higher-quality texture, the core artwork is largely identical between these versions. The main difference is that levels of anti-aliasing and texture filtering can be set much higher on the PC in order to obtain a much more polished image when blown up on a large screen.

Technically, this game isn't even that impressive so there is no specific PC advantage here aside from the obvious ones(resolution, fps, ssao)

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I'm looking forward to GTA5 (I've booked the launch week off work), but it's no replacement for Saint's Row. In the first five hours I've already seen tons of crazy shit that I can't imagine ever seeing in a game like GTA. On the other hand, GTA ain't going to be anywhere near this janky.

They're like Sonic 2 and Super Mario World. You really want to play both because they have their own charms.

360 version lets you enable v-sync.

Nice mental picture, ain't it :)

Is that a tradeoff for more slowdown?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PS3 not being the lead platform I guess.

Still doesn't make sense, they had the same engine running at full 720p a year ago. Even with v-sync engaged it retained a performance advantage on 360.

This year, they dropped horizontal resolution by 25%, the game is liable to tearing now (During game play at least) and there is no frame rate advantage, plus other things like texture streaming are also worse on PS3.

It takes quite a beastly PC to run this with all the bells and whistles too. I had to turn off all the post processing to get an acceptable frame rate at 720p on my rMBP with GeForce GTX 650M.
That's really not my experience.
I'm using a 560 Ti, which is a mid-range card from 2-3 years ago, not exactly a beast. My settings are 1920x1080 with everything maxed out except ambient occlusion which is set at medium instead of high.

I just did the test through FRAPS of fucking around town, using powers and having big fights. My framerate averaged at 53, with a few dips in the thirties while traversing.

(obviously vsynced)

Anyone who has played the game, is it worth getting or does it get boring really fast?

Seems to have a Crackdown type gameplay elements to it which I loved.
I'm loving it so far. It's definitely a mix of SR3 and Crackdown.

ufo8mycat

Anyone who has played the game, is it worth getting or does it get boring really fast?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

oh I don't think it's a boring game in the slightest. it's a blast.

maxiell

Considering the schedule and conditions they were working under, I can't really blame Deep Silver Volition, and the games are far from unplayable on console.

Still doesn't make sense, they had the same engine running at full 720p a year ago. Even with v-sync engaged it retained a performance advantage on 360.

This year, they dropped horizontal resolution by 25%, the game is liable to tearing now (During game play at least) and there is no frame rate advantage, plus other things like texture streaming are also worse on PS3.

Well, if what you're saying is correct and true, then the only thing I can think of to explain this last gen quality abomination is either laziness from the developers, or the whole THQ Bankruptcy debacle/ buyout with a different publisher may have thrown a wrench in things .

SmokyDave

Is that a tradeoff for more slowdown?
Yeah, sadly so.

I'm loving it, but then SR3 is my game of the gen. It's definitely Crackdownesque with the whole 'sprint around the place leaping tall buildings and looking for clusters (orbs)'.

Jesus Christ!

360_009.png

PS3_009.png

PC_009.png

Row

Banned
that PS3 shot looks like a PS2 GTA

the PC shot is just silly, you'd have to really crank everything down to make it look that bad

Ardenyal

I have to say, I prefer the PS3 version. A lot easier on the eyes without the uncomfortable sharp details.

lol

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, this is disappointing. It doesn't look all that great on 360 either but still disappointing. Wish I had a PC capable of playing this.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Is there something wrong with the PC screens, it doesn't have corrected Luminance levels compared against Xbox360 or PS3 screen outputs.

Feindflug

Damn, both console versions look like complete garbage and run like ass to boot.

Thank god for next-gen.

I don't think that the PS360 are responsible for this since we've seen open world games that look and run much better than this, their engine sucked even when the first Saint's Row came out.

Drazgul

360 version looks better than the PC version in that shot ...

(please don't knock me off and tell me about the PC version running at 720p, we know it can go higher).

Down to the color settings I think; they're certainly more muted in the PC screenshot, but also easily adjusted.

McLovin

I hate that "soft" look that multi-platform games had on ps3 a few years back. Its too late in the game for that crap.

madmackem

I just don't understand how they went from sr3 on ps3 being the best console version to this. Glad I didn't buy this now what a joke.

smr00

Banned
Stop this stuff now. Please. Even GB came out and said the framerate drops on 360 compared to PC affects gameplay, how you traverse the world, how you aim your weapons/powers.

"Graphics whore" to me is complaining about a bad SSAO implementation or a slightly lower shadow map or lightning or something. Not something major like framerate drops and no v-sync.
I honestly don't care about frame or graphics. Long as it's running at at least 30fps i don't mind. I rarely ever even go in my graphical settings to max out or change things on PC. I just boot it up and go.

99% of the time i open that graphical menu is to turn vsync on.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Well, we at least know that it's running in 720p on the PS3. So that's already a good start.

True. Think I'll wait until some people on GAF get their hands on it and see what they say.

I honestly don't care about frame or graphics. Long as it's running at at least 30fps i don't mind. I rarely ever even go in my graphical settings to max out or change things on PC. I just boot it up and go.

99% of the time i open that graphical menu is to turn vsync on.

That's the point of his comment though, it isn't.

Top Bottom