• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Price Drops $50 Effective September 20, now $300, Basic phased out

GulAtiCa

Drop if old

http://kotaku.com/wii-u-price-drops-50-effective-september-20-1214840727

Nintendo's home console can be yours for just $299.99 starting September 20, the house of Mario announced today. That's a $50 price cut for a console that's about to get a steady flow of Nintendo-made games but that's been struggling to sell at even half the pace of its predecessor.

The Wii U will sell in two models: the existing black deluxe model bundled with the pretty-good game compilation Nintendo Land or in a new Zelda model. An image of the latter leaked last week.P

That Zelda console is black, but its GamePad controller is etched with Zelda-style script The bundle will also include vouchers to download a digital (duh) copy of the Hyrule Historia Zelda lore book and a copy of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD.P

Both consoles include 32GB of on-board flash memory. The system can be connected to self-powered hard-drives for more storage capacity.

"Obviously we want to drive Wii U momentum," Fils-Aime said of the reasoning behind the price drop. "We've been very clear that software is what drives hardware. And we feel very good about the line-up of software for Wii U. Taking the added step to improve the value just reinforces our commitment to make sure that Wii U has a strong holiday this year and is set up to be a strong platform into the future."

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sounds like the Basic is dead, now 2 versions of the premium ( Wind Waker or Nintendoland)

Cornbread78

Unless there is something that my kids really want to play on it, or some great console JRPGs start launching on the system, like they are on 3DS, It's not nearly enough. Still burnt by the 2 Wii's collecting dust.

keit4

Banned
PANIC MODE

big_red_button.jpg

Where are my Ambassador games?! :p

Edit: Wait, effective Sept 20? So there are going to be 0 Wii U sales from now until then from informed customers. Brilliant.

border

This will have surprisingly little effect on the console's trajectory. The need it at $250 or less I think.

Harpuia

Maybe Nintendo should choose their prices more smartly when they launch their products next time around? Then again they decided to drop price when their products are just about to get an influx of games people actually want to play.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I also want my ambassador program. Give me Roms

I doubt that will happen. :-/

Did they also ditch the basic version, or is that still available for $250? Don't see it mentioned. /edit: Nevermind, it says at the bottom of the article that the basic version is ditched.

thefro

Glad to see they finally are cutting the price.

Zelda + Wii U Premium at $299 starts to feel like a somewhat decent value, but I'd like a bit more thrown in (Zelda & Nintendoland maybe). I understand why they probaly can't go any lower than this due to the cost of the stupid tablet.

Top Bottom