• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Price Drops $50 Effective September 20, now $300, Basic phased out

Not sure what impact it will have but it's the right thing to do and the right price in regards to them selling the console at a loss even at the price it is/was..

Goldmund

Has NoE announced the same? For local retailers that would be a slight price increase, though, they're trying to get rid of deluxe models for €290.

Riki

Maybe Nintendo should choose their prices more smartly when they launch their products next time around? Then again they decided to drop price when their products are just about to get an influx of games people actually want to play.
Rhe 3DS was priced too high but the WiiU was sold at a loss. They probably couldn't properly afford it unti now.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ambassador program or dieeeeeee! (hyperbole, for sure)

Vita for 100 dollars less or a Ps4 for 100 dollars more

Nintendo is in a terrible position

I don't think that the comparison is ok.
For 199$ you have a Vita without memory or game, ins't it? And for 399" you have a PS4 without game.
Here you have console + game at 299$

def sim

I'm glad they are trying. That said, I'd be strongly considering a purchase if I weren't already buying a PS4 and Bone this fall.

lefantome

well ps3 and 360 still cost 100$ less, it's not enough as the problem wasn't the price.

furthemore is better than nothing and in conjunction with the games releasing this holiday could help selling more consoles

ioALNrD3Gue7r.gif

The "still too expensive" comments sort of reinforce my belief that a price drop didn't make any fiscal sense, but I was pretty certain we weren't going to see one so I guess I feel dumb.

I have the Basic version. With it being phased out, I wonder if that means it'll be worth something down the line.

Price cut is a good thing. Hopefully, now people will give it a chance. It's a great system. With games on the way, definitely worth picking one up now.

Sendou

why announce a price drop weeks before it happens? who would buy it between now and then?

That's the reason. Now there's a month worth of Wii U buyers (so not a lot actually) less complaining about how the product JUST got a price drop when they bought it.

Celegus

Nintendo going for Yahtzee. Not like they have much to lose at this point, may as well go for it before PS4/X1 come to town.

ito007

its still too expensive, but they are selling this at a loss already... i feel kinda feel bad for nintendo knowing that this drop might hurt them more financially.

well i'm on board now! sign me up for that wind waker bundle. that, wonderful 101, and pikmin should hold me over for a bit

Ein Bear

Why would you announce this a month in advance, instead of with immediate effect? Surely sales are just going to tank even more for the next month, whilst everyone waits for the price drop?

Still, good to see them taking steps to turn this thing around. Fingers crossed for Ambassador Program 2.

Good move. While it's still too much for many here on GAF, it will look attractive with a 300$ price tag and several great games next to 400$ and 500$ machines.

gngf123

We basically had retailers do this pricecut for Nintendo over here in the UK, and it hasn't helped a single bit.

Now it's starting to get games, maybe we will start to see it pick up. I hope it does.

i could already find nin32gbsku+nintendoland and wiiu for 250 during sales in italy..
so well not ground breaking..
but then again i got my wiiu at launch courtesy of my grandpa not knowing what the fuck to buy to his oldest and 900kmaway nephew so it's not like i'm bothered by it..
epic how nintendo "price cut not a solution, won't price cut!"
small time later "price cut!"

nintendoes what nintendidn't!

Majmun

Strange timing of the announcement.

No one will buy a Wii U up until the 20th of september now.

Why not sept 1st?

ITT, people who had no intention of ever getting a Wii U claiming "It's still too expensive" when price was never a factor for them anyway

jmls1121

Banned
Why would you announce this a month in advance, instead of with immediate effect? Surely sales are just going to tank even more for the next month, whilst everyone waits for the price drop?

Still, good to see them taking steps to turn this thing around. Fingers crossed for Ambassador Program 2.

Holiday sales are becoming even more important in the west. People may now be deciding what expenditures they are going to make during the holiday season.

Top Bottom