• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Price Drops $50 Effective September 20, now $300, Basic phased out

ajjow

Is this real? Man..... I should have waited..... Fuck u nintendo....

And that ugly machine 2ds... Iwata must go yesterday

Hopefully NoE will follow suit. I've been toying with the idea of getting the WW bundle if it releases over here in the UK. A digital copy of Hyrule Historia (to save me from unwrapping my hardback copy) would help as an incentive, but an additional price reduction too may just tip me over the edge... especially as I only have one Wii Remote with motion plus built in (Skyward Sword LE) and standalone ones are north of £30.

*EDIT*
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663785

Phase one, complete :D

Bullza2o

I don't understand how it's still to much. This is basically a $240 Wii U + a $60 game, depending how you play around with the price.

I think this is a good start, and this move makes me think I should have waited. I bought a basic + NintendoLand for $310.

Regiruler

ronpaul_itshappening.gif

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
People who think this is still too expensive are insane.

For the more core gamer, the premium at $300 with Wind Waker strikes me as decent.

I still think $250 is what they need to hit, but it's a start.

So much for the no price drop thread. $50 is what I expected though. I hope this helps them move units, though I am not optimistic. Still waiting for no hardware tied accounts though.

Hatty

we already got our ambassador program
I wonder if nintendo will do anything else to please early adopters

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ITT, people who had no intention of ever getting a Wii U claiming "It's still too expensive" when price was never a factor for them anyway

ITT, stop being a jerk to fellow posters and pre-emptively stirring up console war shit because you don't agree with their posts.

Gannd

Banned
I don't think it's too expensive. More that I think it needs more of a gap between it and the PS4. I think that a $150 different would be HUGE in the minds of people on the fence.

I disagree. The PS4 is expensive and doesn't play Nintendo games. I still think $250 and $199 is the sweet spot for the Wii U. I think the iPad and iPhone have shrunk the market

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Awesome News!

I already bought Wii U at launch title, and I have no regrets. However, I'm happy that they finally announced price drops so my friends actually afford Wii U without any excuses.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is some grade A bullshit if Nintendo doesn't announce an ambassador program for people like me who bought at launch for $350

A $50 price cut a year after launch isnt exactly unprecedented.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So price is effectively $250 for the console.. which isn't bad.

But really only $100 less than PS4.. which isn't great.

And thus the double edged sword of the bundle system.

Anyway, the current bundle is worth it IMHO (about what I paid for mine).

The Zelda bundle is much better, and a great system/bundle for anyone looking at maybe approaching the fence and getting on.

Good move by Iwata, going into Winter against esp PS4 only $50 cheaper was madness. Now they have a big name franchise bundled with it for $299 which should make a significant difference to sales esp when combined with the arrival of 3D Mario and DKC Tropical Freeze.

They need to market the absolute shit out of WiiU for the remaining months of the year though, I hope he hasn't been frugal with the marketing budget.

If the console is still doing under 100k per month in North America by the time MK8 arrives next Spring then they need to cut it further to $249 or they might as well just kill it off and start again or seriously consider just making handheld systems / games.

Llyranor

Perfect. W101 + WWbundle, here I come!

Too bad about digital for WW, though. Anyone know how much space a full Wii U game takes?

Meier

Kinda bummed the Zelda system doesn't come with Nintendoland as well but I can't say I'm entirely surprised. Hopeful that some retailer will include it separately as a freebie. I'd definitely consider buying one at $300 with both games.

Top Bottom