• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Price Drops $50 Effective September 20, now $300, Basic phased out

That's awesome.

It confirms that eventually this console is going to sell for $200 ~ $225 and have a bunch of 1st/2nd party games.

That's when I get one.

Mariolee

Eh....still too expensive. As an incoming college student, I'm pretty tight on cash and right now 300 with their current library isnt enough to justify a purchase. Maybe next black friday.

batbeg

Surprised (but not really) at people saying it needs to be 200. A $50 drop is pretty substantial for a system already selling at a loss, and people think it needs to be $100 less still?

tesla246

Man i feel robbed, I bought this console at launch for 350 euros...only to find it on the shelves for 250 euros 4 months later. Never again will I buy a nintendo console at launch, especcialy not if their is not some kind of compensation.

My individual feelings aside however, I price drop is the right thing to do, but I cant help but being gutted by that sour taste the wiiu launch price left me with. Nintendo hasnt given us early adapters anything for almost a year (aside from pikmin 3), so what im saying is basically: there was no compelling reason to own wiiu before the price drop as a nintendo fan.

But I thought that the Premium's performance was proof that a price cut wasn't necessary? XD

Seriously, though, it's about time.

Sorcerer

Why announce a price drop nearly one month ahead of time?

Who's going to buy a unit for 50 dollars more in the meantime?

Unless things were so bad there weren't selling units anyway.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Surprised (but not really) at people saying it needs to be 200. A $50 drop is pretty substantial for a system already selling at a loss, and people think it needs to be $100 less still?

The profit/loss nintendo makes per unit and the price/value people think it is worth are not related.

Jrs3000

1238321_504685126282612_964882285_n.jpg

People can get the Zelda bundle starting Sept. 20th.

...Wait, Zelda is shipping on Sept. 20th too!?

Fake Edit: And you get Hyrule Historia in the Deluxe Bundle!

If you read the box, it's going to be a code to download zelda on release. My thing is why not do this price cut effective today or on the date their next major game w101 comes out on the 15th instead of waiting 5 days.

AniHawk

LOOKS LIKE I'M IN

zelda tww hd version of course.

fuck yeah! i got my vita price drop and wii u price drop just like the old gypsy woman said!

Never buying a Nintendo console at launch again.
I learned my lesson with the Wii. By the time software came out that I really wanted to play, it could be had for less money with better pack-ins. I should've learned it after the OG DS.

Great that they dropped the price, as there was no way in hell that being only $50 away from the PS4 was going to help their already anemic sales. And with Wonderful 101 likely to bomba in NA as well, the pressure is really on Mario to move systems this holiday.

AngryMoth

But I thought price wasn't the issue?
:p

It's a start, but they need to start marketing it properly. When the Wii came out every mum was clammering to try and get their hands on one for their kid's Christmas present. With the Wii U those people literally (LITERALLY) don't know it exists, let alone why it's better than the Wii or that it's even a separate console. Not even my housemates who all regularly play games had heard of it until I asked them about it. They don't even have shelf space in my local supermarkets. These are the real problems.

kswiston

"Struggling to sell even half of its predecessor" is extremely generous. More like struggling to sell 10%.

$299 is a step in the right direction though. At least that puts them $100 under the PS4, not even factoring in the game.

Is the Zelda bundle limited? Also does that sticker say it comes with Hyrule Historia? Pretty cool. I can see the system having a decent September. If the Zelda pack is limited, it should sell out.

Kater

Banned
no way man. You have like the only white Wii U that will apparently ever be available. Spend money on a USB HDD and Zelda instead!!! (actually serious)

Kinda makes sense, yeah.
It's just hyping me up. Price drop and all that.
(Stop manipulating me, Nintendo!)

hatchx

Banned
The digital version of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD will also launch on Sept. 20, while the packaged version launches Oct. 4 with distinctive gold-foil packaging, both at a suggested retail price of $49.99.

This is a little bit cruel.

Jonboy

Not sure if it's worthy of its own thread, but Jose from IGN says no ambassador program.

Jose Otero ‏@jose_otero 30m
RT @rflewis32: @jose_otero Will there be an ambassador program for early buyers like the 3DS had? Nope.

It comes with Hyrule Historia (isn't that like $60?) and the game is digital via code.

Personally should scrap the book and made it $250, bizarre choice.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Bundle

A new limited-edition Wii U bundle featuring The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD launches on Sept. 20 at a suggested retail price of $299.99. The bundle includes a black Deluxe Wii U console; a GamePad controller adorned with gold lettering, a gold Hyrule crest and gold symbols from the game; a download code for the digital version of Hyrule Historia, a book that details the chronology, history and artwork of The Legend of Zelda series; and a code that can be used to download The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD from the Nintendo eShop immediately at no additional cost.

The digital version of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD will also launch on Sept. 20, while the packaged version launches Oct. 4 with distinctive gold-foil packaging, both at a suggested retail price of $49.99. GameStop is also offering an exclusive Ganondorf figurine bundled with the packaged game at a suggested retail price of $54.99.

Edit: Or the book is digital, the game is boxed?

Edit: Both digital.

terrible

Banned
It was $150 here (basic model) not that long ago and I still didn't buy one. I don't think a $50 price drop is anywhere near enough but I'm no expert.

KDC720

Wii U+Wind Waker+ Hyrule Historia is a pretty decent value. I will definitely consider picking one up this holiday.

ok, I'm calling you (and anyone else out) here.... people bitch NONSTOP about Wii U only having 32GB (or 8GB) storage. But now you are comparing pricing on a PS3 model that ONLY has 12GB? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

At least with the Wii U being offered here you can download ANY game (any TWO games actually. maybe even any three) from the eShop no problem. Same can't be said for the 12GB PS3 (where there are countless games you can't even download because of how PS3 installs)

What are you talking about? I never mentioned storage space and the people buying these for their kids don't give a shit either. They'll see a 199 or less ps3 and 360 and not care. Plus there will probably be black Friday deals making them even cheaper. Last year had the $199 ps3 with 2 free games.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sort of want. I want a Wii U, but $250 is my sweet spot. Granted this is effectively that with a game, and I do love Zelda. I have played this game before though.

I'm definitely more interested, but I'm not 100% there yet. Not having to pay a yearly sub fee for all the features helps, but idk. If I could get it for sub $300 with tax I'd be in like flynn I think even if that meant say $269.99 + tax.

Scoot2005

Banned
NOA also seems to have flipped Mario 3D World, and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. 3D World is now in Nov, while Donkey Kong TP is in Dec.

Well... I preordered 3d World. I did not preorder Tropical Freeze. Good for me. Maybe the delay means Samus will have a special appearance... Fucking Retro.

Edit - Fuck my life...Top of the page.

Top Bottom