• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First picture of The Wonderful 101 prototype appears

Nibel

Uniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite... LOCK! if old

XJNK6SM.jpg

Source (DoYouEatShit.com)

---

So, that's the infamous old art style they've used which looks way more like Viewtiful Joe/Marvel/DC stuff

tripskylark

Neo Member
Too bad Nintendo insisted to brighten up the colors/design (Which isn't bad, per se..the game is gorgeous)

Jealous at everyone who's going to the panel

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Glad they changed it. The vibrant colours, clean metallic surfaces, and liberal use of depth of field suit the game's themes and style perfectly.

Yuterald

Eh, I actually quite like the look of the final game. Picture's not clear enough either to say one style's better than the other.

That looks pretty good. When they mentioned it was darker I figured it looked more like Platinums other games but that has a Viewtiful Joe/comic book look to it. I like what we got in the end more though.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
looks pretty cool, has the comic book style although it doesnt give off a super sentai style as a result

rawktapus

i think i prefer the style they decided on. Much more fun and vibrant; reminiscent of the power rangers vibe they were going for.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not bad looking, more of a literal evolution of the Viewtiful Joe style. Though it probably would have turned just as many off since it would, alternately, be labeled "animu" by those people who are practically allergic to anything visually eastern.

Platy

Also expected the Nintendo one.

Anyone knows if any of the characters in the final game can be traced to a Nintendo character ?

D-e-f-

Banned
Did development start on a different console?

No. They made the prototype on PC before the Nintendo deal came about. It was initially pitched as a Nintendo All-Star game so it was always gonna be Nintendo stuff.

Too bad Nintendo insisted to brighten up the colors/design (Which isn't bad, per se..the game is gorgeous)

Jealous at everyone who's going to the panel

They didn't. N suggested it when PG weren't happy with what they had.

--

People expecting Nintendo All Star shots: That was a pitch. They never made a version with Nintendo characters. It changed before that started. At least that's what it sounds like.

Shahadan

Also expected the Nintendo one.

Anyone knows if any of the characters in the final game can be traced to a Nintendo character ?

Hand - Mario, also shoots fireballs
Sword - Link, obviously
Gun - Probably Fox
Whip - Zero Suit Samus?
Hammer - Dedede/kirby
Claws - Sheik?
Bomb - Who knows.

Well they aren't related or hinted at, obviously, just the weapons could be easily linked to nintendo characters

Neff

They changed it so that it more resembles toys than comics, which Kamiya has noted suits the isometric view better than the comic style because you get the impression of a child looking down at their toy playset (the game really does feature the toy range to end all toy ranges). The light nature of the story and goofy humour works better with it, too.

But I do really love that prototype shot.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Glad they changed it. The vibrant colours, clean metallic surfaces, and liberal use of depth of field suit the game's themes and style perfectly.
/nods in full agreement

I like this kind of Suda 51 hard cell-shading. But the final style fits the game better. Especially with so many characters on screen the bright colors help distinguish them. It also gives it more of a Super Sentai look. Like Kamiya said there were problems with the original style if the game.

ASIS

Although I do like the current style more, this is only a prototype, it would have been interesting to see just how it could have been when this style is all polished up.

Top Bottom