• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay PC: Early Access 'in a couple of weeks', sales reach 938k on 360

I finally have my computer working on the plane! I feel churlish complaining about connectivity on a plane, because hello, I am typing from THOUSANDS OF FEET IN THE AIR, but it does get a bit frustrating when the connection drops every few minutes.

Anyway, I posted this from my phone to Facebook, where I could remember my password :

Okay. Here was PAX in a nutshell. We brought a PC to show off how pretty SoD looks on a PC. It was a normal machine with two year old components, running the game on the medium settings. We will be launching the controller-only version on Steam as part of their Early Access thing in a couple weeks or so - please note that I can't control the exact date, and I don't have one to give you. Then comes Sandbox (still testing, so again, I don't have an exact date), and before the year is out, the full mouse and keyboard PC version on Steam.

Discussions of future games are ongoing. As in, going on now. Thank you all from the bottom of all of our hearts here at the Lab for making SoD a success, or these conversations wouldn't be happening!

There. That's word for word what I said to those of you who made it to the show Pics don't do it justice - hoping to get some direct footage to you when possible. Thanks again, y'all.

http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?31175-The-Short-Version-of-PAX-2013

Sales are from the leaderboards on the 360 version - 938, 498 as of the time this thread was posted.

Anyway, fantastic news that more people will soon be able to experience the finest survival game released this generation.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
MS take a lot of abuse for their policies on indies but delivering nearly 1m full price sales for a game like this is phenomenal is it not?

By full price I mean it hasn't had a sale that I know of with all copies selling for around $20.

I held off on getting this on 360 because of all the performance issues. Gonna buy the shit out of it once it hits Steam!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I would assume so, especially since MS owns the IP. ( though that still doesn't necessarily rule out a PC version as you can see here)

Wait is there any proof of that being true as I find it strange that a founder of A-net and bunch of it's employee's would go on to form a development studio whose IP is solely owned by MS. You'd think they'd have the resources to at least not be completely locked down like that unless MS pretty much funded the game.

Wait is there any proof of that being true as I find it strange that a founder of A-net and bunch of it's employee's would go on to form a development studio whose IP is solely owned by MS. You'd think they'd have the resources to at least not be completely locked down like that unless MS pretty much funded the game.

Guess they saw the potential in the IP and decided to snap it up during development. One good thing is that they didn't demand it stay exclusive to the 360.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
kinda but you have to take a pick up truck over to pick up that loan altho the raccoon will send brain eatting goons to stop you

but for realsies it dose persist while you dont play like animal crossing you got to keep your supplies up game is fantastic

Well that does get me hype, can I take loans from a zombie racoon? If so insta-purchase.

It's very much like AC in that the world persists even when you're not playing, so you have to ensure your camp of survivors is well stocked with supplies otherwise morale will go down, people will leave or worse they'll die and you'll have just potentially lost a great character.

They can also commit suicide if things get too rough, but I haven't encountered that yet, but depression does tend to set in and you'll find you have to take certain survivors out to scavenge or kill zeds to help them cope. It's an incredible game and as I said, the best survival game released to date.

Did they ever fix any of the jank in this game? I had to stop playing around the point it was suggested I move to a new base in the game because the glitches and technical problems just became unbearable. Haven't been back to it since 2-3 weeks after launch I think.

Such a shame, because there seems to be a good game buried under all that broken :(

With GAF aflood with next gen graphic wars it tells you something that this game has sold so much and probably number 2 on my GOTY list even though it looked like a turd on 360.

Cheech

Did they ever fix any of the jank in this game? I had to stop playing around the point it was suggested I move to a new base in the game because the glitches and technical problems just became unbearable. Haven't been back to it since 2-3 weeks after launch I think.

Such a shame, because there seems to be a good game buried under all that broken :(

It's been patched a couple times and actually runs a lot better than at launch.

It is a really great game. If they'd had a higher budget, this would have easily been a $60 title.

kinda but you have to take a pick up truck over to pick up that loan altho the raccoon will send brain eatting goons to stop you

but for realsies it dose persist while you dont play like animal crossing you got to keep your supplies up game is fantastic
It's very much like AC in that the world persists even when you're not playing, so you have to ensure your camp of survivors is well stocked with supplies otherwise morale will go down, people will leave or worse they'll die and you'll have just potentially lost a great character.

They can also commit suicide if things get too rough, but I haven't encountered that yet, but depression does tend to set in and you'll find you have to take certain survivors out to scavenge or kill zeds to help them cope. It's an incredible game and as I said, the best survival game released to date.
Well that does get me hype. Thank you for the info, sounds really intriguing.

They fixed a lot, but it still has its fair share of jank. A game this ambitious would be impossible without it and it some of the jank actually adds to the overall charm/appeal of the game.

sunnz

Between KZ:M, The puppeteer and GTA V, bad timing for me.

I was VERY hyped for this but kinda annoyed at how long it took them ( but better than no date I know I know)

Just need to know when that date is.

BTW, is early access on steam cheaper than the finale full release price?

jet1911

Between KZ:M, The puppeteer and GTA V, bad timing for me.

I was VERY hyped for this but kinda annoyed at how long it took them ( but better than no date I know I know)

Just need to know when that date is.

BTW, is early access on steam cheaper than the finale full release price?

Generally it is.

Update on early access and KB&M support.

We brought a PC to PAX (big game show in Seattle over Labor Day weekend) to show off how pretty SoD looks on a PC. It was a normal machine with two year old components, running the game on the medium settings, using a 360 controller.

Why show off on a PC? We will be putting up a controller-only version on Steam for twenty bucks as part of their Early Access thing. (Obviously, buying it during Early Access means you won’t have to buy it again when we officially launch.) As soon as we possibly can, we will patch the game with our first, rough take on a keyboard/mouse interface. We will be actively seeking feedback from hardcore early adopters in order to refine that interface.

Content-wise, the game is identical (and will always be identical) to the Xbox version.

If you are a keyboard player, as I am, and if you don’t want to deal with rough edges or changes, as I would not if it weren’t part of my job, the Early Access version is NOT a good idea. You should wait until we formally launch the PC version. The final PC version will support both the 360 controller and keyboard/mouse. Early Access is strictly for people who enjoy shaping outcomes and giving feedback, and don’t mind bugs.

If you’re that kind of person, you may be wondering: When does Early Access begin? We’re deciding that this week. Stay tuned.

http://undeadlabs.com/2013/09/news/first-some-news-then-we-twitch/

Well deserved sales. Hopefully the sandbox mode comes soon to Xbox. I love the game but don't really feel like doing all the early stuff over and over.

Loved this game on 360. Can't wait for the sandbox update. It's awesome that a first time studio has had great success with their first game. Well done to them.

I would highly suggest picking this up on PC when it comes out. It's lots of fun.

Derrick01

Banned
Really looking forward to finally playing this in a couple of weeks. I'm glad they're making it out before Dead State launched, because to me that's going to be a deeper RPG with deeper survival systems if they live up to the promise. So it's good to beat that to the market.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Really looking forward to finally playing this in a couple of weeks. I'm glad they're making it out before Dead State launched, because to me that's going to be a deeper RPG with deeper survival systems if they live up to the promise. So it's good to beat that to the market.

There's plenty of room for both, hell I'll be rebuying this on PC as well as Dead State. They're quite different in many ways too especially from how they play by the looks of it.

Man, this is the one game I'd want to get a 360 for. Very, very excited and happy that it was a success.

I cannot wait at all.

I think Fallout 6 by Obsidian will be out before Dead State makes it, or Age of Decadence.

That said, Ill double dip on early access, quit playing the 360 version when I heard of the pc version, and I think a few months later my save will pretty much be unusable if I log back into it.

FACE

Banned
I think Fallout 6 by Obsidian will be out before Dead State makes it, or Age of Decadence.

That said, Ill double dip on early access, quit playing the 360 version when I heard of the pc version, and I think a few months later my save will pretty much be unusable if I log back into it.

And it won't be nowhere near as good as those games :p

Derrick01

Banned
There's plenty of room for both, hell I'll be rebuying this on PC as well as Dead State. They're quite different in many ways too especially from how they play by the looks of it.

The only differences I can tell is this game is full 3D and the combat is real time (and extremely janky). Everything else it's doing are things I saw being advertised in Dead State back when they were doing their kickstarter. Stuff like finding a base, managing it and the supplies and going out foraging for supplies. Except since Dead State is a crpg they're trying to go deeper into the RPG side. Like you supposedly can be leader of the group and deal with constant group politics and deal with other human groups or you can just be a guy with a small job. It has the standard old school style crpg conversation system too.

Granted this is all up in the air still as we've barely heard anything on DS since the kickstarter ended.

Top Bottom