• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube broke the Wii U Browser. Again.

Tripon

So it looks like Youtube updated their website again, and now, my gamepad freezes and hard locks after they play their required 30 second ad. Meaning, I get to see the ad, and not the original video I did want to watch. Come on Youtube, you need to code better than this.

Anyone else having issues?

hwy_61

Banned
Don't know if you've tries this, but try closing any tabs you have from a previous session. Do it as soon as you open the browser, though. That worked for me.

Gattuso

I just tried and i couldn't even load an ad, it just froze the wii u shortly after tapping play for me.
Edit:
Don't know if you've tries this, but try closing any tabs you have from a previous session. Do it as soon as you open the browser, though. That worked for me.
that fixed it for me.

MKUltra

I also had this yesterday, I narrowed it down to only being videos that had ads on them, seems to be working now though.

NotLiquid

Nintendo consoles are strictly for playing Nintendo games.

Leaving media streaming to devices made for the 21st century.

The irony is Wii U probably has the best web browser of the current consoles available and is the best at viewing YouTube videos outside shitty apps.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The irony is Wii U probably has the best web browser of the current consoles available

Probably?

Not even close. It's the best console browser by a long long way and fast as fuck.

zruben

Banned
oh, glad it's a common problem, I thought my wiiU decided to get weird.

the "close tabs" trick didn't work for me,... did anyone found another solution?

ZeroGravity

This isn't exclusive to the Wii U browser. Even on my PC, YouTube videos have been fucking up all day and refusing to play beyond the ad most of the time.

This isn't exclusive to the Wii U browser. Even on my PC, YouTube videos have been fucking up all day and refusing to play beyond the ad most of the time.

PCs are only for spreadsheets and not for streaming services of the 21st century.Oh wait, that doesn´t make any sense. But it was a cool comment huh? HUH?

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Youtube beta is such a cool website.

Is it because they changed it to this?

new%20youtube%20player.jpg

Or is this (video player change) completely unrelated?

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Such a stupid change. Youtube needs to grow up already.

Kangi

YouTube is literally the only reason I have adblock. If I could enable it on the Wii U, I would.

Koozek

Had videos not playing/blackscreens on my PC, too, today. But only for, like, half an hour and now the fullscreen/annotations/etc. settings are all merged into one single settings button. At least for me. Maybe they're some beta changes or something.

jimi_dini

YouTube is literally the only reason I have adblock. If I could enable it on the Wii U, I would.

There should be AdBlock - the proxy server. Then it would work with Wii U.

It's fascinating - at work, youtube plays the ads perfectly, but all videos afterwards play first 5 seconds only and then they stop. :/

fred

Aw bum, you mean we see adverts on YouTube using the Wii U browser now..? They used to be ad-free for some reason a while back. :eek:(

Kangi

It's fascinating - at work, youtube plays the ads perfectly, but all videos afterwards play first 5 seconds only and then they stop. :/

For my PC, the videos will usually make it to ten seconds then randomly stop, or make it to fifteen seconds and suddenly drop the quality automatically. Youtube videos run so smooth on my Wii U (and the functionality where you can place the video on your television then browse other things is amazing), but there's always that one particular ad that hard locks the console.

Youtube was really strange the last weeks. It reloads when you forward to an already loaded part, a change to HD takes longer than the actual video and only prominent content loads really fast. Feels like 2007 again, not like it is run by motherfucking google.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Guys you can skips the ad on the Wii U browser if you just skipped to the end and it will act as if the ad had been played.

Is it because they changed it to this?

new%20youtube%20player.jpg

Or is this (video player change) completely unrelated?

Youtube sure love hiding their option in a drop down menu.

my work pc would hard lock when a youtube page tries to load. yet at home it plays fine.

don't really know why.

EDIT; wait. they changed their player too? wasn't like that a few hours ago.

While my Youtube does work, the comment section doesn't. For some reason the comment section doesn't appear due to loading (which the loading never ends so it doesn't load anything anyways). I usually have to refresh the page for the comments to appear, but by that time I don't want to read the comments in a video if I have to refresh a whole page to do so.

I'm on the PC.

Kangi

While my Youtube does work, the comment section doesn't. For some reason the comment section doesn't appear due to loading (which the loading never ends so it doesn't load anything anyways). I usually have to refresh the page for the comments to appear, but by that time I don't want to read the comments in a video if I have to refresh a whole page to do so.

I'm on the PC.

I think Youtube is doing you a favor by not loading the comments.

Orbis

Youtube was really strange the last weeks. It reloads when you forward to an already loaded part, a change to HD takes longer than the actual video and only prominent content loads really fast. Feels like 2007 again, not like it is run by motherfucking google.
The main reason for these changes is probably to reduce load on their servers. The old method seems to have been to cache the whole video at somewhat unrestricted speeds; on a fast connection you could cache a whole video in seconds and then freely jump to different parts of the video without needing to buffer again. On a slow connection that meant you could just pause and come back later to watch the whole video without your crappy connection causing it to buffer constantly. Now it pretty much streams the video with what seems like a capped buffer or at least capped download speed and thus individual users use less bandwidth at any given moment. The 'already loaded' parts seem to be completely inaccurate at best.

And I can also confirm that Youtube has been very bad today on my PC; volume slider is broken on most videos for me and they've been changing the way the settings are laid out, on and off. Some videos go black after the adverts and then refuse to play without clearing the cache. This is using Chrome.

Top Bottom