• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube broke the Wii U Browser. Again.

Tripon

I used a tablet to connect to the PS3 app. Its okay, but the PS3 app still isn't that good. Videos don't play, and still doesn't show all of your channels.

Kater

Banned
Doesn't really work for me either. Tried to watch a video (Drunk Jim Sterling playing Outlast) and it took me 20 minutes to load just one video - in 480p.
It's crazy.(On the PC at the moment.)

Happened to me once too but youtube usually works well for me on the Wii U browser.

The youtube app on the system is incredibly shitty. The web browser version works so much better.

Jachaos

Can't deny the truth

I don't know, Netflix works pretty good and off-screen playing is a nice option. It's better than on my PS3 or 360. The browser is really great too. Youtube on it is even easier than with iPhone+Apple TV as you can browse other content at the same time.

the interface looks different. Just clicking on the resolution option shows a new screen so they are still toying around.

Annotations, Screen Size, and Quality are under 1 button now.

PureGone

Banned
How do you input text? Remote? :/

iPhone, sometimes iPad

I don't know, Netflix works pretty good and off-screen playing is a nice option. It's better than on my PS3 or 360. The browser is really great too. YB]Youtube on it is even easier than with iPhone+Apple TV as you can browse other content at the same time.[/B]

So exactly like a iPhone and Apple TV can...

No we cant deny the truth that you have no clue of what you speak of.

This is hilarious if you think Wii U's media app are any good, lol

Oidisco

The Wii U youtube app is terrible, we can all agree there, but it sounds like you haven't used the brower version of Youtube on the Wii U. It's the best version of Youtube out there. Better than any console or tablet, including Apple Tv. It's even better than the standard Pc version, though that motsly because my computer is terrible.

Such a stupid change. Youtube needs to grow up already.
That is what YouTube is doing: growing up.

Who cares if a browser used by maybe less than a few hundred a day breaks if the new update will enhance the experience for millions out there?

Is this YouTube's fault or Nintendo's? You decide.

Jokes aside, it seems to work for others who cleared their cache. Go figure.

iPhone, sometimes iPad

So exactly like a iPhone and Apple TV can...

So you are talking about two devices combined now. And you are talking apps. Honest question: Have you ever used a Wii U?

rpmurphy

Who cares if a browser used by maybe less than a few hundred a day breaks if the new update will enhance the experience for millions out there?

Google's deployment process appears to need better safety measures to not push in changes that break stuff. Happens all too often with their Chrome browser as well.

dab0ne

Ok? How about posting something constructive instead of this useless shit?

I'm not trying to be an asshole dude. The thread title implies that YouTube is doing it but from the comments it sounds like a Wii U problem. Take it easy chief.

I'm not trying to be an asshole dude. The thread title implies that YouTube is doing it but from the comments it sounds like a Wii U problem. Take it easy chief.

Hmm you must be reading different comments then. Most people claim they have problems on PC too.

NewGame

Banned
Youtube still works in the browser. I think it depends on what videos you have to watch. If you get the crappy videos with a full 30 second ad in front of the video it's likely the video itself will fail to load.

I don't watch stuff that has ads on it on youtube for the most part.

dab0ne

Hmm you must be reading different comments then. Most people claim they have problems on PC too.

You got me. I only read the first several posts and not then entire thread. Apologies. I seriously wasn't trying to sound like an asshole though. I haven't been having troubles all day on my PC though.

Anteo

You got me. I only read the first several posts and not then entire thread. Apologies. I seriously wasn't trying to sound like an asshole though. I haven't been having troubles all day on my PC though.

Last time youtube changed something to prevent videos to be loaded on the WiiU browser, and there has not be a wii u patch recently so the first thing people think is "youtube again changed something and broke the browser for the 3rd/4th time"

I'm no Wii U hater but come on, Youtube running on your laptop in one tab and sending that shit to your PS3 and then just browsing the full fledged web on another tab is better than having to lug out the Wii U Gamepad and dealing with mobile sites

It's Youtube's fault. This isn't a question or maybe or possible, it's Youtube's fault. It's not up for opinion. It's Youtube's fault

Exile20

Like a Wii U tablet and a Wii U Console?

Yes, it comes with its own remote.

Dude just stop. This is getting embarrassing.

You need an iphone or ipad for your preferred way to watch youtube
Without one of those two you have to use a remote to input text.

You can't be serious.

FSLink

Banned
I'm no Wii U hater but come on, Youtube running on your laptop in one tab and sending that shit to your PS3 and then just browsing the full fledged web on another tab is better than having to lug out the Wii U Gamepad and dealing with mobile sites

If you're comparing it to having another companion device (PC/tablet/phone)....If that's the case, the best option is just having HDMI in from your laptop/PC to your TV. The Wii U implementation is rather excellent if you don't have those options and the gamepad makes it easy to type too.

And most sites have an option to opt out of the mobile version.

PureGone

Banned
Dude just stop. This is getting embarrassing.

You need an iphone or ipad for your preferred way to watch youtube
Without one of those two you have to use a remote to input text.

You can't be serious.

I'm not talking about other people here, i'm talking about myself. And for me, someone who has their iPad in their living room, same room as the TV, and my iPhone on me at all times, its more convenient and better for me to browse YouTube with a iPhone or iPad and a Apple TV.

Jesus whats wrong with you guys.

You don't have to buy those separately. And you conveniently ignore the latter part of his question.

The answer is yes, and its not a problem for me because see above

diaspora

I'm not talking about other people here, i'm talking about myself. And for me, someone who has their iPad in their living room, same room as the TV, and my iPhone on me at all times, its more convenient and better for me to browse YouTube with a iPhone or iPad and a Apple TV.

You're being an ignorant jackass when the system has the best YT access of any console.

This has also been a fairly new issue in the PS3 browser, where YouTube tries to play a relatively high resolution advert and Flash either stumbles it's way to the end (of advert) or you might get a complete lockup (Flash in PS3 browser struggles with 720p and 1080p is non-starter). Previously, YouTube always showed adverts in the same resolution as the videos, a lowly 240p, but at least they didn't cause issues.

That's interesting you now see ads on YouTube in your HTML 5 based browser as this is likely something PS4 users will have to look forward to ;). Given that Adobe has dropped support for Flash on practically everything, except PC's, it's highly likely the PS4 will only support HTML 5 videos and not Flash. Also, with all that RAM, if the PS4 can't play the adverts without hiccups, there's no hope for anyone!

The other day PS3 browser users (on around August 21) couldn't watch any videos on YouTube and it took them a couple of weeks to restore service. Luckily, you could still use the bookmarklet on YouTube to bypass their video player (there by killing three birds with one stone ;) - no playback, high-res ads and low-res videos). However, ads are to be re-enabled from tomorrow (with auto-bypass for troublesome ads) as probably best to keep YouTube happy (although, can you still get an ad-blocker on Google's store - go figure!).

NewGame

Banned
Worng guy said:
oops who was i posting to again

Have you even used a WiiU to watch youtube videos?

You can navigate the site via the touch screen and when you select a video it immediately opens full screen on your television and begins playing, while it is playing you can navigate through other videos on the tablet. This is amazing for watching youtube videos with friends around (which is what I do quite a bit!). You can log in and type comments/make searches very easily with the touch keyboard.

The entire experience is fluid and functional and better than every other 'smart tv' option out there I've tried which includes

- Some sort of Smart TV androidish thing Samsung included with their new sets.
- Android controller App, boy this thing did not keep up with Youtube changes at all!
- Apple's AirPlay thing which doesn't function as well because the youtube app craps out on you for some reason (haven't tried any any sort of update since launch (australia))

I would go so far as to say that the WiiU is worth purchasing for Youtube viewing alone. Why?

Samsung Smart TV - $900 AU
Android Set top box - $99 AU (plus an android device, mines a Samsung Galaxy S2 $200)
AppleTV + iPad - $9999999999 (you get the picture)
WiiU console - $350

You can navigate the site via the touch screen and when you select a video it immediately opens full screen on your television and begins playing, while it is playing you can navigate through other videos on the tablet. This is amazing for watching youtube videos with friends around (which is what I do quite a bit!). You can log in and type comments/make searches very easily with the touch keyboard.

The entire experience is fluid and functional and better than every other 'smart tv' option out there I've tried which includes

- Android controller App, boy this thing did not keep up with Youtube changes at all!
- Apple's AirPlay thing which doesn't function as well because the youtube app craps out on you for some reason (haven't tried any any sort of update since launch (australia))

I would go so far as to say that the WiiU is worth purchasing for Youtube viewing alone. Why?

Android Set top box - $99 AU (plus an android device, mines a Samsung Galaxy S2 $200)

Think you quoted the wrong guy there.

Exile20

WiiU console - $350$300

Fixed that for you.

The answer is yes, and its not a problem for me because see above

Stop trying to save face. You essentially came in here and said the Wii U's media streaming is not up to par with modern devices when this problem isn't caused by the Wii U, and when the Wii U has the best Youtube experience of all consoles. Then you started on about how it's hilarious if anyone thinks the Wii U's media apps are any good, when this thread isn't even about an app.

How does any of that translate to "a better option for me is Apple TV + iPhone" ?

Top Bottom