• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I predict that Mario 3D World will be a call-back to Mario 2

Now, bear with me here. It's really late.

I predict that 3D World is going to be essentially a call-back to Mario 2. For one, Peach is playable, meaning that now we have the whole cast of Mario 2 characters. But look at this:

super-mario-3d-world-mario-2-subcon-fairy.png

No, not at the giant Yoshi. Look closer:

Unless I’m way off, I think Nintendo has brought back one of the most obscure characters in the history of the Mario games. Remember those wacky fairy things that you rescue in Mario 2?

Is it a coincidence? We'll find out if I’m right soon enough, but for now I’m just happy thinking someone at Nintendo might feel as strongly about Super Mario Bros. 2 as I do. And that’s gratifying enough: just the possibility that I’m being catered to, that someone else still remembers these obscure characters that meant a lot to me back when I was a kid and maybe still do.

Credit goes to this guy: http://www.backofthecerealbox.com/2013/09/super-mario-3d-world-super-mario-bros-2-subcon.html#more

Shinta

Banned
It's possible. They mentioned Mario 2 as inspiration for some of the new gameplay elements in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze; pulling objects up from the ground.

What a fantastic year for platformers ... I need a Wii U.

BowieZ

Banned
True test will be if there is any of this:

- Wart
- Birdo, Red Birdo, Green Birdo and flying eggs
- Phantos and keys
- vases
- magic potions leading to doors (leading to the reverse world)
- turnips, radishes, pumpkins
- Mouser, Fryguy, Tryclyde, Clawgrip, and Robirdo

Lijik

i predict the final castle will have you face Wart, but when you beat him- wuh OH the world map reveals the path to the REAL final castle where you fight Bowser, who will first act like the SMB1 boss fight but UH woh when you beat him theres a second phase where he's giant or some shit.

Mr. F

Banned
I said this in the original reveal thread, but man do I love those old-school character portraits. Looks like they'd be right at home on the side of an arcade cabinet.

CamHostage

Excellent discovery! The connection to SMB 2 USA was clear from the beginning with the four-character cast (which I'm still disappointed they didn't do in NSMB, the two colored toads were a waste but this game's proper implementation might actually make up for it,) but I don't know that I really put thought into actual story elements or other aspects of SMB 2 in the game being a possibility. I hoped and hoped for so long for the return of Wart and I never got it, so I'm not holding all of my hopes against Mario 3D World having that (because it looks fun either way and I don't want to build up nerd-rage for no reason,) but if Nintendo actually did make the callback, I'd be so happy...

It's nice to see references and callbacks to it, but I want a fullblown revisit to Subcon, with a return of vegetable warfare. It's just exotic and weird and mysterious.

Mael

Nice catch OP!

- Wart
- Phantos and keys
- vases

Wart is like Kraid, we always expect him to come back but he never does....

KHlover

Banned
Well, they ARE using SMB2 mechanics (the character abilities) and character portraits in this game. Definitely possible.

- Wart
- Phantos and keys
- vases

Many would love to see this. Some cameos from the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door universe would also be welcome.

It's nice to see references and callbacks to it, but I want a fullblown revisit to Subcon, with a return of vegetable warfare. It's just exotic and weird and mysterious.

I'd love to see a return to Subcon as well. SMB2 had some of the more unique characters in the series. I liked how TYD went in the artistic direction of SMB2 in some ways.

masud

Banned
This thread is not gonna be about what you thought it was gonna be about... But yeah hopefully we'll get more info on the game tomorrow.

Yeah, Wart and his minions would be a welcome change. The banter we keep getting from Bowser is so many layers of parody, N knows it's tired.

There were some interesting things from 2 that need to be explored, the mushroom kingdom needs a rest.

I'd love to see a return to Subcon as well. SMB2 had some of the more unique characters in the series. I liked how TYD went in the artistic direction of SMB2 in some ways.

Between the mysteriously disguised enemies (what the fuck do they look like?!) and the swallowing bird door that betrays you and the giant steel torture towers with chains and the spooky silhouetted dark world and the FUCKING homicidal mask and even just the way familiar elements were used in unfamiliar ways, I always thought there was something unsettling about this game. Even the slot machine creeped me out. I have no idea why.

Also wish they used more of its characters in mainline platforming games. Shy Guys are so underused. I think only Bob-Omb really transitioned over to being a mainstay in the "real world" Marioverse.

NEO0MJ

Also wish they used more of its characters in mainline platforming games. Shy Guys are so underused. I think only Bob-Omb really transitioned over to being a mainstay in the "real world" Marioverse.

Shy Guys became the Goombas of Yoshi games, so that's why they're uncommon in Mario games outside of RPGs.

RagnarokX

Between the mysteriously disguised enemies (what the fuck do they look like?!) and the swallowing bird door that betrays you and the giant steel torture towers with chains and the spooky silhouetted dark world and the FUCKING homicidal mask and even just the way familiar elements were used in unfamiliar ways, I always thought there was something unsettling about this game. Even the slot machine creeped me out. I have no idea why.

Pokeys

How comes Wario is never in a main Mario game as an enemy/boss fight? I always thought that was stupid. I know he first appeared in Super Mario Land 2 but since then he's never been in a Mario game even though the company pushes him as a major Nintendo character.

RagnarokX

How comes Wario is never in a main Mario game as an enemy/boss fight? I always thought that was stupid. I know he first appeared in Super Mario Land 2 but since then he's never been in a Mario game even though the company pushes him as a major Nintendo character.

Super Mario 64 DS? Yoshi's Island DS? Wario isn't much of a villain. He's more of an antihero or rival.

Foffy

Banned

He's in Yoshi's Island DS and the DS remake of SM64, as someone already mentioned. If you consider the Yoshi series to be separate, he's at least in a remake of a "main" game.

I'd lament more over Waluigi. His biggest role in a Mario game was a fucking DDR title. :p

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You're kind of late on this "prediction," OP, but yes, I too am looking forward to the return of some pleasant SMB2 USA trappings in a game that hopefully won't be as dull as SMB2 USA was.

If it's true, I don't wanna know. So, no trailers, screenshots or thread titles mentioning Wart. Thank you.
Well I suppose you're lucky that Nintendo "forgot this game existed." At least according to GAF.

Top Bottom