• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Ladies - A mortifying, hilarious, melancholy cringe comedy - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

In his first starring series role, Stephen Merchant portrays Stuart, a web designer who recently relocated to LA from England in hopes of finding excitement, romance, and maybe even a soul mate. Working out of his LA home, Stuart has an easy rapport with an attractive roommate named Jessica (Christine Woods), though it is clear she's not romantically interested in him. Half as charming as he thinks he is – and twice as desperate – Stuart is obsessed with infiltrating the glamorous world of beautiful people, and doggedly hits the LA social scene in the company of pals Wade (Nate Torrence), who's in the throes of a separation from his wife, and Kives (Kevin Weisman), a charismatic paraplegic who fares far better with the ladies than Stuart or Wade.In his first starring series role, Stephen Merchant portrays Stuart, a web designer who recently relocated to LA from England in hopes of finding excitement, romance, and maybe even a soul mate. Working out of his LA home, Stuart has an easy rapport with an attractive roommate named Jessica (Christine Woods), though it is clear she's not romantically interested in him. Half as charming as he thinks he is – and twice as desperate – Stuart is obsessed with infiltrating the glamorous world of beautiful people, and doggedly hits the LA social scene in the company of pals Wade (Nate Torrence), who's in the throes of a separation from his wife, and Kives (Kevin Weisman), a charismatic paraplegic who fares far better with the ladies than Stuart or Wade.

uHbdA5W.jpg

Videos

Hello Ladies Season 1: Episode 1
Hello Ladies Season 1: Trailer
Hello Ladies Season 1: Invitation to the Set
Hello Ladies Season 1: Episode #1 Dating Tip "Know What's Important To You"
Hello Ladies Season 1: Episode #1 Dating Tip "Keep The Conversation Lively"

What GAF has to say:

oh man hello ladies is great

Hello Ladies was decent enough. Not great, not bad; it might improve. About what you'd expect from a romantic comedy show from Merchant.

I'll keep watching.

I thought the Hello Ladies pilot was hilarious. A tad bit crass for my tastes, but many hearty laughs were had over the cringe inducing misadventures of Stephen Merchant's gangly avatar.

I thought some of the club cringe was a little much but liked it on the whole. There's a deep sadness to the character maybe because under the façade he actually doesn't buy his own bullshit and knows he's a bit pathetic. That to me made it a more human show than, say, Todd Margaret.

I'm liking Hello Ladies more than the reviews led me to believe I would.

I really liked it, but these types of shows are so hard to watch for me. So damn uncomfortable.

I'm loving Hello Ladies, but I love everything Merchant does.

Bread

Banned
Nice OP! I meant to make one a while ago but got lazy, glad other gaffers are enjoying it too.

This is the cringiest of cringe comedies, and it's a lot of fun to watch.

It also has Kyle Mooney, who is very funny.

watch it

Didn't really care for it that much. Scenes felt a bit disjointed and they never got cringe-y enough to be funny or turn it into an art form.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Didn't really care for it that much. Scenes felt a bit disjointed and they never got cringe-y enough to be funny or turn it into an art form.

Did you only watch the pilot? I think the show has improved with every episode so far. The scenes become more cohesive beginning with episode 2.

You see if coming from the moment they introduce the characters.

You can see what coming?

Only thing I don't like about the show is it's odd focus on Stuart's fat friends. I don't find them funny at all (like in last episode when the one guy got stuck in the stairwell, seems like they needed an extra 2 minutes of lazy footage). Stephen Merchant himself is hilarious though. I always liked him better than Ricky Gervais (possibly because I am also tall, skinny and awkward).

Kyle is hilarious though ("Please! May I ha- may I have.... May I have your attention..")

Murrah

Banned
Not fully sold on the show yet, but when it hits it really hits. And Kyle is absolutely incredible. I'll for sure watch the rest of the season

Did you only watch the pilot? I think the show has improved with every episode so far. The scenes become more cohesive beginning with episode 2.

Don't have HBO, but the pilot didn't make me want to search out more episodes. Glad to hear it's finding it's feet a bit though.

Bread

Banned
It was really the latest episode that sold me. I liked it from the start, but it turned into something better and crazier following the email and "Alex" text debacle.

I had to look away while he was trying to get the girls attention in the bar. I couldn't take the embarrassment.

That said, I actually kinda liked it. Probably won't go out of my way to watch it, though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Kyle is hilarious though ("Please! May I ha- may I have.... May I have your attention..")

I was rolling at that scene. Kyle is so awkward.

It was really the latest episode that sold me.

I thought it was the best one yet for sure. Some of the scenes were almost too unbearable, with the date at the expensive restaurant and the tampon commercial audition being the worst offenders. Merchant is the cringe master.

Bread

Banned
oh maaaaaan the tampon stuff was so fuckin bad, me and my buddy were literally squirming in our seats during that.

xbhaskarx

As someone who loves Ricky Gervais - Larry David cringe humor I have been enjoying this, glad there's finally a thread for it. I thought the last episode was the best one yet.

Forever Alone GAF needs to start a texting chain....

Niiice, had no idea something like this was in the works and I'm a huge fan of his previous stuff. I really do wonder why him and Ricky have stopped partnering up, though. Not like I don't appreciate them doing their own things, I just hope we haven't seen the last of them working together.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I've watched every episode so far, and was wondering if an OP existed.

I like it, but I do think that it gets a little dull at times.

Awesome show. Better than Derek by far. Absolutely love it.

Can't agree with that. Derek was really different for Gervais but it was fantastic. And Karl pilkington is so good. This is just decent by comparison

The audition scene was straight out of extras when that rival actor showed up. Almost word for word shit there

Empty

thought the first episode was poor, the second pretty good and the third okay.

i just didn't buy that stuart would be so outraged about spending lots of money at a restaurant on a date after establishing that he loves a limo, nice house with a pool in l.a, the appereance of glamour etc. if anything i'd expect him to deliberately order the most expensive thing then hate it but not be able to say it. the texting back and forth was pretty good especially not being able to deal with a delay but i thought the date itself was really obvious (having the phone go off at the wrong time for example felt cheap) and artificial in that i'd expect her to make some apologetic comment at least about the texting and her brother given how she clearly likes him. jessica's tampon stuff had some nice lines, but as has been mentioned felt played out if you've seen extras. wade's a.g stuff was good but short.

i would also like the show more if they made a slight adjustment. having jessica and stuart be siblings. not because i'm some kind of incest fetishist but because i think the loneliness angle is a little undercut by the show moving them towards eachother and being all 'well they're perfect for eachother once they get past their delusions about themselves'. rather than two separate people struggling to make their own individual lives.

Slowdive

Banned
Oh I missed this thread. Nice to be quoted in the OP, when I said that I forgot about Life's Too Short, I didn't even finish watching the series. That's the only poor thing Ricky and Steve have done. I loved the special though with Keith, Les and "Barry."

Agreed, it's gotten better. If people didn't like the pilot so much they should at least try the next one.

I'm enjoying it, nothing will beat his performance in Extras though, I fucking love his character in that.

Darren Lamb is incredible.

Niiice, had no idea something like this was in the works and I'm a huge fan of his previous stuff. I really do wonder why him and Ricky have stopped partnering up, though. Not like I don't appreciate them doing their own things, I just hope we haven't seen the last of them working together.

Steve said he thinks of this as a "solo album," they're just doing their own things right now and he's certain they'll do something together again soon. I want more podcasts.

kaskade

This show hurts so bad to watch. They gave him a little bit of success this episode only to have it get shot down. How many episodes until him and Jessica bang?

Episode 3 and 4 are up there with some of the best Gervais and Merchant episodes.

The show works best when he's not just going out to clubs and hitting on random girls.

I thought Stuart writing the e-mail header in episode 3 was hilarious (and accurate).

Nuklear

Banned
This show hurts so bad to watch. They gave him a little bit of success this episode only to have it get shot down. How many episodes until him and Jessica bang?

The sooner those two bang the better, imho. They need to get it out of the way.

Van Owen

Banned
The reaction to the phone stuff on the date was a little over the top but overall I'm liking it. Not as good as Extras and whatnot though.

Awesome show. Better than Derek by far. Absolutely love it.

Derek was a flat out strange show. I still don't know what it was trying to be...besides something Karl was good in.

I'm enjoying it, nothing will beat his performance in Extras though, I fucking love his character in that.

Yeah I'm not quite feeling this show, but it is a decent watch. He really needs some stronger people to play off.

Row

Banned
Finally saw the first episode...just awful. The second I saw a hot chick as the co-star I knew it would be bad, and the episode proved as much. Doubt I'll bother catching up because while I love these kinds of shows and marchant, this is garbage.

That was just about the most cringe that ever done cringed.

I loved it, even though I was watching most of the tap dancing and hot tub scenes through my fingers while visibly vibrating from uncomfortableness.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
There were some great laughs tonight. I like the show even if it tries a little too hard to get really awkward.

I wasn't feeling the series but this was a fantastic episode that justifies it all. Finally that overwhelming sadness mixed in with the unbearable public embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom