• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. Fans: Do You Want DLC?

I'm legitimately curious by this. It was shocking to see several people in the Smash Wii U/3DS thread say how they desperately do not want DLC for the next Smash Bros., but I can't helping thinking that's crazy.

DLC has vastly extended the life for many games, so to see Smash fans say such a thing is, to be quite honest, unsettling.
  • New stages.
  • New characters.
  • New costumes/outfits.
  • New ANYTHING!
How could you not want this for a franchise like Smash, especially when you consider the fact that we probably won't see another one for a long time? It's not like Nintendo isn't jumping on the DLC bandwagon (Luigi DLC for Mario, Pikmin DLC, etc.), so I'd like to know if this mentality is more widespread than I think.

EDITS: So to the people who are saying no, you're reasoning is because of some other developers nickel and diming fans or some assumption that Nintendo will release incomplete products? How is that fair?

If Brawl had DLC, maybe Mewtwo would be in the game as he was cut last minute.

This.

I think DLC gets a bad rep... because devs have given it a bad rep. Probably 90% of DLC is on disc, or retailer exclusive, or day one dlc. Lots of bullshit. Basically locking part of the finished game away behind a paywall. I get the feeling that many Nintendo fans believe this is how Nintendo would handle DLC with their games. This, of course, is the wrong kind of DLC, and no one wants this kind of DLC.

Nintendo is not Capcpom.

I don't believe Nintendo would pull a Cross Tekken with their DLC habits. If Smash Bros got DLC, I predict it would be similar to New Super Luigi U. Some time after the release of the initial game (probably a year or two), a "Super" version of Smash 4 is released either as $30 DLC for anyone who owns the game, or $60 for the stand alone version. Probably cheaper. It includes new characters, stages, music, balance changes, and more.

No one should be opposed to that, because it would be awesome. I don't know about you, but I don't like waiting 6 years between Smash Bros games. DLC gives Sakurai and team a way of keeping the game alive during the long wait for a new Smash Bros.

It also helps that Smash Bros might be the game that lends itself most to DLC out of any game ever made. Besides the obvious characters and stages, we could get new music, taunts, character entrances, new single player modes (additional break the target stages, additional event matches), new multiplayer modes, alternate costumes for characters... the list goes on.

I think Nintendo knows how to do DLC properly, and I look forward to them incorporating it into Smash Bros. sakurai pls ;_;

Well said. The potential is HUGE, Nintendo has to capitalize on it.

Deep40000

Neo Member
Yes, I'm down with extra stuff so long as Nintendo does it responsibly, not omitting stuff from the game just to add them as DLC later.

Please include all Mother 3 main characters.

Only if the characters I want in the game miss the cut, so I imagine that's basically a guaranteed yes from me at this point.

ALM5252

For Past Stages, Old Characters that might not make it back (Roy, Dr.Mario, Pichu, etc) plus newer characters and stages.

I'd be down for it, but price is what matters, and if the DLC will be cross-platform compatible for Wii U / 3DS.

I see it as a perfect way to add characters that were removed due to higher priority of new characters. In general, I'm okay with DLC that's reasonably priced and worth the purchase.

I'd like a steady stream of content, if for anything it increases the chance of a patch in case anything is too out of whack for most people's taste.

If they balance the dlc and make it such that the original game also feels complete and if its priced right. I'm not up for 5 characters plus 10 costumes for $10.00. I would have 15-30 balanced characters + maybe a few stages for that price

Yes because I know whatever the roster ends up looking like will be disappointing as fuck as a whole otherwise.

Sakurai is that good.

This Smash Bro's game should be the best iteration ever.

No reason it won't be over time with DLC and updates to balance things.. New stages, characters, graphics..

Nintendo don't screw this up and you'll have the system seller you should have had for this Xmas albit a little later.

I think the 3ds version will sell well but should be delayed to make sure it doesn't eat into Wii U sales.

My friend already said he's going to buy the 3ds version instead. Make them wait 6 months and you might see more Wii U consoles sold.

Only if it's reasonably priced and full of content. Nothing stupid like new outfits or anything like that. Only new characters, stages, or game modes.

soxxx

Banned
Levels I would welcome but id rather have the character lineup be final. Introducing a new character a year after the game releases could change the playing field.

I wouldnt be surprised if the 3DS maps are DLC for the Wii U and vise/versa.

TreIII

As long as it's reasonably priced, not on-disc and would imply that the game would be supported for the long haul? I say, why not? New characters, stages and balance-packs would be just the kind of thing I'd love to see.

Smash games have had long legs as far as how they get continued play for the rest of their respective generations. Why not capitalize on that and give the game continued renewal through a generation through DLC?

KirbyKid

Give me a Wonderful 101 character or VJoe and I'll drop crazy cash.

Patches would be nice if they tweak very small things every now and then. A yearly patch would be a good rate I think. You gotta let your games breathe.

New levels? I'm not so interested in. There's only so much coolness you can have that plays well before you get more rumble falls or something that can be created in the level editor.

New characters is a big plus. I'm not even worried about it splintering the player base. If you want to compete, just pay the extra money. It's not like we're not dropping 20-60 $ easy when we go to tournaments.

KarmaCow

Not really. I'd rather they just make everything and put it onto the disc and then move on.

I was going to come in here and say why would anyone not want reasonable DLC but that's actually a fair point. I don't really care about Sakurai's other work but considering he left Nintendo originally after being tied to Kirby for life and how hard he pushes himself, I doubt he'd want to work on a never ending title.

Layell

I have faith in Nintendo DLC, the PIkmin 3 stuff was reasonably priced at $2. Even if you only played all four stages once that is a good half hour of play. Fire Emblem Awakening stuff was huge and there was a good indicator of difficulty. Super Luigi U I haven't bought yet but it's on my radar as something to get once I 100% NSMBU and 3D World.

With the exception of perhaps FE:A I don't think there has been much DLC that has been about restricting content that should have been included. It has all seemed like bonus content that was considered after the games release to keep interest in the current players and expand the interest of those who haven't bought it yet. This is the DLC I am interested in buying.

Plasma

Banned
Yes, Nintendo only make one of these every console cycle so keeping it going with DLC down the years would do wonders to keep it fresh.

Beth Cyra

Yes, but I only want one thing.

X as a playable character, I would drop insane amounts of cash for this.

Hell I'd settle for an alt even though I'd hate it.

LAA

Hmm, yeah I would like dlc.
I'd like dlc for Mario Kart too.

Only thing though is whether I'd pay for it or not...
Honestly I'd probably be fine with it if it was price appropriately, but with fighting games, dont think its right to charge for characters/maps/items, etc. Significant dlc like that shouldnt be charged for. I think things like character skins are fine to be paid for, but a whole new character with a new combo set and etc. Think that stuff should be free.

KamenSenshi

No as every game doesn't need it. The past couple games have been pushed with all kinds of extras, for free, as it was prior to 2007. Anyone else would have charged $5 per character or stage. Or per two song pack for that matter. As long as they make the best game they can with no thoughts of dlc it'll be fine.

Dragoshi1

I'd like DLC for this, yes.

New items, trophies, characters, and stages would rock. New characters to coincide with future game releases would be cool, too.

Top Bottom