• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 - Retailer exclusive pre-order weapon DLCs announced for Japan

duckroll

http://darksouls.jp/storeannouncement.html

No doubt these will be used in the US as well. Guess it was just a matter of time before stuff like this infects every franchise ever. Different retailers offer a different set of weapon+shield DLC. The exclusive DLCs will be available for purchase on the PSN Store after a limited period.

storeannouncement02.jpg

storeannouncement03.jpg

storeannouncement04.jpg

storeannouncement05.jpg

storeannouncement06.jpg

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
so much shit news these last two days ugh.

Are these at least cosmetic only and could someone please translate ?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I don't know what that shit is, but it all better be in the complete Dark Souls 2: You're Already Dead edition for the PC.

Ridley327

I'd imagine that they're decent weapons to start out with, but have shit scaling and no upgrade paths to them.

Plus, they're all ugly.

Bleep

Gross, I thought From Software would avoid joining in on this terrible trend. I never preorder games and bonuses like this won't change my stance.

Soriku

so much shit news these last two days ugh.

Are these at least cosmetic only and could someone please translate ?

Someone on GameFAQs translated.

Yellow Crystal long sword and shield

Long sword with yellow crystals attached.

Found in the depths of the melted iron fortress. Though corroded and easy to break, it is light with no loss in power.

In order to show his authority, the old king built an iron castle and collected many weapons. But that glory sank into the melted earth due to his arrogance.

(shield description is the same)

Bound Hand Ax and Wood Shield

An ax with a weird appearance.

This was found in the Undead Purgatory. The chain and thorns increase bleeding but decrease slash damage.

This alteration which hides the personality of the weapon wasn't done to merely defeat an enemy. The goal was likely to simply cause more pain.

Special ability: Bleed

(shield is degraded but also causes bleed)

Pygmy's Mace and Wood Shield

A staff with round objects attached. Found in a mansion in An Diel.
It is much heavier than normal but the hard spheres increase blunt damage.

To the east of Drangleig is a mysterious mansion forgotten by time. Something that should be forgotten still lurks there.

(shield is heavier but stronger)

Criminal Staff and Leather Shield

A staff with a dull black something attached.
Found in an old dark hole. Used for magic and dark magic.

In places around Dranglieg are dark holes. There is yet nobody who knows what lies beyond these holes.

Special Ability: Darkness

(shield is same, just takes out part about it being used as a catalyst)

*These items have slightly different parameters from original items that appear in game.
>

These seem like they just took the in game item and increase one parameter slightly while decreasing another. Likely useless overall.

TUSR

Banned
Sigh....

Retailer exclusive DLC is such fucking bullshit. Hopefully this doesn't come to the west :|

yeah fuck retail exclusive shit. I know it wont affect the overall game, but paying full price for a game and get 98% of the content miffs me.

duckroll

Gross, I thought From Software would avoid joining in on this terrible trend. I never preorder games and bonuses like this won't change my stance.

It's probably hard for anyone working on a AAA game to avoid trends like this. With a much larger development team and a larger marketing push for the sequel, unfortunately stuff like this seem like a business reality.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Bring on the soapstone twitter integration and a mobile app so i can earn souls on the go.

Don't forget the in-game voice chat.

I would like to trash talk when I invade. I think it would greatly enhance the atmosphere.

popyea

Oh wow, they aren't even unique weapons in terms of their looks?

I think the stuff stuck to them is what differentiates them from the original weapons. It's kind of an interesting take on powered up dlc items. They're better because they happened to get some shit stuck to them before you found them.

feel

These probably won't scale worth shit. I'm happier with my generic looking long swords and whatnot that improve with me.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Chain axe looks sick, everything else is pretty blah.

Don't care for pre-order exclusives with Dark Souls though. Oh well.

Did Dark Souls 1 have pre-order stuff? Didn't get it on release.

MogCakes

FROM is even trolling pre-order customers!

What a wonderful social experiment.

As a company they've never been fond of giving 'exclusive' anything that can't be gotten in-game. Seeing as this is the first time it's happening and looking at the weapons, I doubt the employees are all that happy about it.

Screw you Namco!

They all look pretty awful.

And having this kind of thing messes with the nature of the upgrade system, doesn't it? Not liking this at all.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
probably useless after an hour

Probably not, it's dark souls after all picking any weapon and crafting it to your characters build is part of the game. Any weapon can work...unless these things have D scaling in everything and terrible base damage.

Hypron

What the fuck. I'm disappointed.

Although if these are really just re-skins with very little difference from the version of these items you can get in game it's not that bad. But still, it sucks.

Ridley327

They all look pretty awful.

And having this kind of thing messes with the nature of the upgrade system, doesn't it? Not liking this at all.

Not particularly, I think. I'd be surprised if these weapons didn't have expensive upgrade options and are just basically "free" Drake Swords.

Top Bottom