• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 - Retailer exclusive pre-order weapon DLCs announced for Japan

Shit business practice but I love the look of this one:

storeannouncement04.jpg

Looks like it's from Miralda The Executioner set!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Pygmy? As in "The Furtive Pygmy"??

Sure FROM wouldn't leave a potential key piece of lore as DLC, right? ;_;

I was wondering this, too. Tantilising to say the least!

That Game FAQs translation says:
Found in a mansion in An Diel.
It is much heavier than normal but the hard spheres increase blunt damage.

To the east of Drangleig is a mysterious mansion forgotten by time. Something that should be forgotten still lurks there.
Definitely something to look out for in the game, as these areas could provide some clues. The text also kind of hints that these weapons can be found during regular course of the game... unless these are just DLC descriptions and people with pre-ordered copies actually have to travel to those areas in order to get their bonus... that would be weird, but I wouldn't put it past 'em.

Lime

Didn't Miyazaki, despite his uninvolvement with DS2, explicitly state that he didn't want DLC in some form in any Dark Souls game and that Namco had complied?

Miyazaki says his role as a supervisor will allow him to have a say in what he likes and dislikes during the ongoing development for Dark Souls II, which he considers selfish but at the same time, crucial.

A couple of those decisions that are already in the works include: a game server for Dark Souls II and to refrain from having DLC weapons and items.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/0...m_campaign=Feed:+siliconera/MkOc+(Siliconera)

lame.

i thought this was supposed to be THE series that doesn't do this kind of shit. i guess all is lost, gaming is doomed, casuals won etc.

no but seriously, this is lame.

duckroll

Didn't the director say that they specifically weren't going to have DLC that included weapons and what-not? Obviously, they changed their minds, but still...

That was the previous director of the series. Miyazaki is only "supervising" DS2, while working on a new project of his own. DS2 has new directors in charge.

Robot Pants

Didn't the director say that they specifically weren't going to have DLC that included weapons and what-not? Obviously, they changed their minds, but still...

EDIT: Here...

Didn't Miyazaki, despite his uninvolvement with DS2, explicitly state that he didn't want DLC in some form in any Dark Souls game and that Namco had complied?

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/0...m_campaign=Feed:+siliconera/MkOc+(Siliconera)
Shows how important his role is now.
Thanks, Namco.

Ill Saint

Anyone know if the same artist from DkS 1 is also working on this? Even from the very first CG trailer I've felt that the vibe of the art and designs shown has been very different from the original and even DeS. Very curious.

That was the previous director of the series. Miyazaki is only "supervising" DS2, while working on a new project of his own. DS2 has new directors in charge.

A little off topic but hey duckroll do you think there is any chance for Demon's Souls 2 paid by Sony? Like 0% chance or 30% chance?

I don't see why would Sony want to pay for it, they're still getting Dark Souls 2 and it's not like DS is a franchise that will move a lot of people onto PS4 that aren't there already

I don't see why would Sony want to pay for it, they're still getting Dark Souls 2 and it's not like DS is a franchise that will move a lot of people onto PS4 that aren't there already

I was just being curious. DS2 is more than enough for me but hey - there's no such thing as too much Souls games. The more the better until the franchise is stomped into the season pass, DLC, IAP, voice chat, yearly releases ground.

Ugh

I wonder how deep they are going to let the marketing team penetrate the series

Not overly worried about this game but we could be seeing this series go the way of Dead Space in the long term if this shit keeps up

I really dont want that to happen

Jarsonot

If this comes to the west I'm going to pre-order my copy from somewhere that DOESN'T include a bonus.

You do this too.

We can show them this shit doesn't work. Power to the people!

For anyone thinks that this is acceptable and we should should support this as consumers

Some related viewing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gowln8rshs&list=PL8B35CA833DCDA9A4&index=8

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7u16q6/the-final-bosman-lazy-rich-people-are-ruining-games

I am really tired of this being considered acceptable as some of our favorite games are diluted by greed and then defended by these companies and marketing firms as being a neccessity for these games to even exist.

WHY?

Didn't the games that came before jumpstart the new franchise on MERIT alone? Do we REALLY need to engage in all this wasteful misplaced marketing to expand a franchise?

It only seems to dilute the brand and kill it faster in My opinion.

NEO0MJ

WHY?

Didn't the games that came before jumpstart the new franchise on MERIT alone? Do we REALLY need to engage in all this wasteful misplaced marketing to expand a franchise?

You don't understand, they have to attract more people! It's the only way!

Its going to be Dead Space all over again because these money grabbers are TONE DEAF to their Audience and the actual fanbase and scope of the product

I assume Dark Souls 2 will be a great game either way but I am legitimately worried about the future of the franchise going forward.

Mman235

The only good news about this is that the translated item descriptions suggest these are things you can find in the game anyway. If not then sooner or later RIP Souls games.

I guess we atleast had two good games before the cracks started to form, this is similar to Dead Space's slow degeneration.

Dead Space 2 was still okay, Dark Souls 2 will probably still be fairly minimal in terms DLC/P2W/Pre-orders. Better prepare your anus for Dark Souls 3, though.

I guess we atleast had two good games before the cracks started to form, this is similar to Dead Space's slow degeneration.

Dead Space 2 was still okay, Dark Souls 2 will probably still be fairly minimal in terms DLC/P2W/Pre-orders. Better prepare your anus for Dark Souls 3, though.

I wonder if the community will be loud enough to save it....

Probably not since the development would be far along and the damage done far in advance of any back lash

Its a good thing that Dark Souls and Demons Souls are so replayable. Also having PC version with Mods will allow great content to continue to be made.

Kind of like this masterpiece http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lewtXO30Ncs

Jobbs

Banned
They look cool.

I disapprove, but as long as they aren't really notable in terms of their stats/abilities -- Then I don't think it's a particularly big deal.

Seems like a waste, though, I'd rather cool custom looking weapons be findable via in game means. More more more. A waste.

They look cool.

I disapprove, but as long as they aren't really notable in terms of their stats/abilities -- Then I don't think it's a particularly big deal.

Seems like a waste, though, I'd rather cool custom looking weapons be findable via in game means. More more more. A waste.

I really liked how deliberate every single item and weapon in Dark Souls was. Even where you found some of the weapons and armor told a story

I feel like they are throwing these awesome design choices away slightly with this. Fuck immersive, artistic, thoughtful design

Give us money so you can play dress up

Not a fan of this kind of thing, but the weapon descriptions at least gave some interesting tidbits about locations and lore.

I will keep faith in From and hope that these are Drake Sword type weapons.

Top Bottom