• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 - Retailer exclusive pre-order weapon DLCs announced for Japan

Zushin

Quick, somebody rustle me up a phrase in Japanese I can copy/paste to express my disdain about this to FROM's twitter :p

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Chain axe looks sick, everything else is pretty blah.

Don't care for pre-order exclusives with Dark Souls though. Oh well.

Did Dark Souls 1 have pre-order stuff? Didn't get it on release.

There was a collector's edition of Dark Souls that had something like an artbook and a soundtrack.

There wasn't any sort of in-game content though, and I don't think there was anything that was only available through individual retailers.

They all look pretty awful.

And having this kind of thing messes with the nature of the upgrade system, doesn't it? Not liking this at all.

Probably not. We don't really know anything concrete about the Dark Souls 2 upgrade system to begin with, and even if we did we don't know how these items would slot into it.

I doubt they're anything remarkable, stats-wise.

popyea

Yellow Crystal long sword and shield

Long sword with yellow crystals attached.

Found in the depths of the melted iron fortress. Though corroded and easy to break, it is light with no loss in power.

In order to show his authority, the old king built an iron castle and collected many weapons. But that glory sank into the melted earth due to his arrogance.

This area sounds amazing. So looking forward to this game.

Foaloal

If these weapons are in any way worth using I hope From has fun trying to stop me from using CheatEngine to get them all.

And after From showing last game that they are one of the few that knows how to do DLC content right.

Maybe instead of Dark Souls 3, they can break away from Scamco and make a spiritual successor to their spiritual successor? Dragons Souls...

cj_iwakura

There was a collector's edition of Dark Souls that had something like an artbook and a soundtrack.

There wasn't any sort of in-game content though, and I don't think there was anything that was only available through individual retailers.

'Something like' alright. Worst artbook I've ever seen, kindergarten-level binding. And the OST was digital only.

Quick, somebody rustle me up a phrase in Japanese I can copy/paste to express my disdain about this to FROM's twitter :p

ダークソウル2の予約DLCプランはあまり好きじゃない。

"I don't really like the Dark Souls 2 preorder DLC plan very much."

Zushin

ダークソウル2の予約DLCについてプランはあまり好きじゃない。

Thankyou.

ダークソウル2の予約DLCプランはあまり好きじゃない。

Thankyou.

An improved version since I used a dictionary to translate the title of the DLC plan that was written at the top of the website, the previous message I wrote was just off the top of my head.

ダークソウル2の店舗別オリジナル購入特典のプランは良くないと思います。

"I don't think the Dark Souls 2 store exclusive DLC plan is a good idea."

Zushin

An improved version since I used a dictionary to translate the title of the DLC plan that was written at the top of the website, the previous message I wrote was just off the top of my head.

ダークソウル2の店舗別オリジナル購入特典のプランは良くないと思います。

"I don't think the Dark Souls 2 store exclusive DLC plan is a good idea."

Excellent, changed the tweet :D Thanks again man :)

Soriku

What's next, day one DLC?

Season pass?

Fucking goddamnit skyrim audience bullshit.

This isn't even "skyrim audience bullshit"...many Japanese games pull the multiple retailer pre-order crap. That said this stuff barely affects the game so not much point in getting mad at it.

This isn't even "skyrim audience bullshit"...many Japanese games pull the multiple retailer pre-order crap. That said this stuff barely affects the game so not much point in getting mad at it.

Yeah, that's true. Japan's been doing this for years now. And not just with video games, but also art books, DVDs, CDs, etc. I don't think it's a big deal since you can probably find these items in the game world and they probably don't have the best stats. Still, I hate this kind of shit.

Stimpack

I'm still waiting for the best pre-order bonus.
569-1-1380630327.png

That's really good. I can't believe I didn't think of that at any point in time =|

Also, yes, it's disgusting. It will continue to happen, because people buy into this stupid garbage. Alright, maybe disgusting is a little too far. There are far more disgusting practices out there, and this is on the lighter end of the spectrum.

I have to say, I approve. It's a technique to increase initial sales, and I'm all for From getting more cash, Namco too.
Also, really glad they all look frickin terrible, so I don't have to feel bad only one of those pieces a crap will be in my game[if we get a similar deal on our side of the ocean].

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is an interesting turn.

Looks like there are already people striking up conversations with the FROM PR guys on Twitter, asking whether these are going to be obtainable through upgrading in-game, or if they're totally exclusive for purchase. Some sentiments are shared...

some Japanese guy said:
The increase in IAP is such a turn-off. I can feel my heart breaking.

Mentok

Banned
I like that the staff has a dull black something attached.

At first glance I had assumed that it was a dull black nothing.

Hahaha in my head there's a PR guy who couldn't give a crap, telling people "Yeah we got this staff with dull black something on it...whatever, print it."

Alastor

vadernoooooooooooooo.jpg :(

Really. Shit like this rarely affects me, but Souls series should stay away from pre-order weapons as far as possible.

popyea

I wonder how involved Namco was with this though. Fromsoftware self-publish in Japan, so maybe this was entirely their idea. But it could just as likely have been Namco's idea for western publication and From just decided they may as well do the same.

jimi_dini

FROM is even trolling pre-order customers!

What a wonderful social experiment.

I guess not preordering == winning the game.

They all look crap, so I guess I'm not supposed to preorder. Sigh.

If they really want to troll pre-order customers, just set durability to 5.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Will proxy to people for fees ( ≖‿≖)

Actually kind of sad they're all ugly (imo) since I'm actually in a position now to be able to easily choose whatever jp retailer I want.

Then again, the beta was meh anyway. DARK SOULS 2 IS DEEAADD.

Also lol @ tweeting them, as if it's FROM and not Namco's decision.

Top Bottom