• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people hate Lightning (FFXIII?)

Silky

Banned
Final Fantasy XIII was fucking terrible, yes. But I think what the game had going for it was a somewhat likable character in a sea of generic anime tropes. With Lightning Returns releasing soon, there appears to be some sort of aggressive dislike of the character both in and out of GAF, and I don't really see an understandable reason why. I get the idea that the director for Lightning Returns comes off as a fucking weirdo, sure. But throughout XIII and XIII-2, she still retains that hardened and strict personality--something we don't really get out of Final Fantasy characters.

At this point in the XIII series, she is becoming extremely overpowered.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Why do people like Lightning? I felt that her personality kind of teetered off pretty quickly from the hardened military vet. in the first 15 minutes.

old

I don't care for her because she has so little personality. She has a backstory, yes, but backstory isn't personality.

legacyzero

Banned
I don't hate Lighting. I hate XIII in general. Lighting was actually one of the better parts aside from the fact that they are running her into the ground now.

The whole damn game is plain terrible.

An easy bandwagon to jump onto.

Come on, now.

Samyy

I think it has a lot to with the her dialogue making me cringe every time she opens her mouth. To be fair that pretty much applies to every character in the whole 13 universe. I mean,you say she has a hardened and strict personality, but so did Auron - and he was freaking awesome. There is some divide there and I think has a lot to do with dialogue, character motivations etc. And while she might not be THAT bad the fact that they continuously attempt to push her and making games involving her is kind of ridiculous when she is one of the weaker FF characters in the sense that she has no real particular strengths as character. She has no personality at all.

d[-_-]b

Banned
I'm not too sure what her character was suppose to be? She was an ass towards Snow who was trying to help get Sarah back, she was the catalyst for Hope's retardation towards Snow... I guess my problem was she wasn't a likable character from the get go. She's also shoe-horned into everything this side of the Mississippi, which reminds what PoS FFXIII was.

Zukuu

Banned
She's just bland and unnatural. She has no personality to speak of and bitch slaps people for no reason. She is just like FF 13 itself: pretentious.

Parablank

Just curious, exactly what games has she been put in, besides the Final Fantasy XIII games?

Lightning_XIV_Renders.jpg

people hate lightning because S/E decided that she was going to be the mascot/Face of the FFXIII series whether people liked it or not.

FFXIII wasn't terrible, but no one was really clamoring for more, yet here came XIII-2, with "more lightning!" instead of giving gamers Versus or Agito, which they really wanted. When THAT game (which wasn't bad at all, I quite like it) went over like a lead balloon, instead of moving the fuck on and giving us versus and agito or kingdom hearts or something, we get "more lightning!!" with FFXIII-3.

(Western) Gamers want something else, ANYTHING else, and S/E just won't let XIII die, like maybe this time it will finally catch on and gamers will turn around and be nice, when all we want is the games they won't give us.

Andrefpvs

Lightning is not a bad character, but she's also not a good one. The fact that Square Enix seems to think that she is spectacular is really annoying.

She's just bland and unnatural. She has no personality to speak of and bitch slaps people for no reason. She is just like FF 13 itself: pretentious.

This.

I prefer all the other cast members over her. Yes, that includes Vanille.

d[-_-]b;88347997 said:
I'm not too sure what her character was suppose to be? She was an ass towards Snow who was trying to help get Sarah back, she was the catalyst for Hope's retardation towards Snow... I guess my problem was she wasn't a likable character from the get go. She's also shoe-horned into everything this side of the Mississippi, which reminds what PoS FFXIII was.
I also agreed with the bolded. Sure Snow is annoying, but Hope is a much bigger fool to go on a journey
just to try to kill Snow.

I for once don't hate her (i like both the design and voice), but she has the most stupidest persona backgrounds and her characteristics are all over the place, All in all 2 games out of 3 i still don't feel nothing for the character, hopefully XIII-3 will change that.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Just curious, exactly what games has she been put in, besides the Final Fantasy XIII games?
FFXIV as an outfit
The 3rd Birthday as an outfit for Aya
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded as an outfit
Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy All the Bravest
Final Fantasy Trading Card Game
Dissidia

Kinyou

Her personality is a bit dull but at least does she punch Snow a few times. Too bad she didn't hit hope.

Toth

FFXIV as an outfit
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded
Dissidia
]

So are numerous FF characters? Aside from her own FATE in 14 and the Aya costume, tons of other FF greats are in those games too...

Silky

Banned
FFXIV as an outfit
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded
Dissidia

8 games compared to Cloud.

Itidaki Street
Chocobo Racing
Ehergeiz
Dissidia
Theathrythm
Kingdom hearts
Littlebig Planet
FF Tactics
Lightning Returns
Final Fantasy V

Not to mention the guy has a fucking movie

How she is not a generic anime trope?

I never said she wasn't. I said she was somewhat likable.

Hope is kind of understandable. He at least has a reason to be angst. He's a teenager going through
the death of his mother. Sadly he's blaming the wrong person because his mother volunteered. Snow didn't got her killed, she did.

Lightning is just a terrible human being. She's an ass for no reason.

Lightning's Parents died too. Her and Serah are essentially orphans

This would be true in a world where Hope does not exist.

Hope is kind of understandable. He at least has a reason to be angst. He's a teenager going through
the death of his mother. Sadly he's blaming the wrong person because his mother volunteered. Snow didn't got her killed, she did.

Lightning is just a terrible human being. She's an ass for no reason.

Top Bottom