• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't watch it, but doesn't Arrow have some pretty good stunt work?

It does have very good stunt work for a TV show. Hell, one random fight in the show is better choreographed and better shot than anything in the Nolan Batman films.

So am I the only one who thinks Shield is ok or is the Internet just being the Internet?

Okay is how I feel about it as well. It isn't horrible, but it isn't that good either.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I know SHIELD is super goofy and it's unfair to compare to Arrow.

But I really want to see Marvel try to pull off a show like Arrow. Cause Arrow is kind of amazing. Marathoned it in a weekend after just checking out an episode. Had no idea how good it was.

Wondering if Daredevil would be able to touch it.

MG310

It finally happened. Today I am AntonioBanderas.gif

I wonder if they'll get to go in on the Jessica Jones/Purple Man stuff.

yami4ct

So am I the only one who thinks Shirld is ok or is the Internet just being the Internet?

It's not amazing, but it's not the worst TV show either. It's fun enough. It was the kind of show that was never going to become massively well loved, though. Expectations were too sky high given it was Marvel's first big TV effort in their Cinematic universe. Given it's focused on a bunch of new characters didn't help that fact. The only way it could have worked is if the writing was super, super sharp, which it certainly isn't.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
kinda wish the Punisher was there instead of a standalone Iron Fist series (he deserves a movie damn it) but shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

If they're going to do phases like the movies, I'm sure he's on the next wave. I think they just want to get ahead of Avengers 3 and develop as many heroes for Thanos to stomp on.

Slayven

MistyDanny.jpg

smr00

Banned
I'm going to be forced to get Netflix now it seems. Damn you Disney for finally playing the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones card (please tell me they're still married in the comics). :( Unless these will get dvd releases.
It's $8.

Just pay for 1 month and watch everything. I do that whenever a show comes out i really want to watch.

House of Cards and Orange is the New Black? Totally worth paying $8 to watch.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't watch it, but doesn't Arrow have some pretty good stunt work?

It's brilliant. The entire show is like much better than it has any business being. I have to catch up with the latest episode, but S2 has been on fucking fire so far.

kinda wish the Punisher was there instead of a standalone Iron Fist series (he deserves a movie damn it) but shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Shop it to HBO. Base it on Frank Castle's MAX series. Done.

If they're going to do phases like the movies, I'm sure he's on the next wave. I think they just want to get ahead of Avengers 3 and develop as many heroes for Thanos to stomp on.

Probably yah. I bet the next "TV Phase" is Blade, Ghost Rider and Punisher with a Midnight Son miniseries to top it off.

Shop it to HBO. Base it on Frank Castle's MAX series. Done.

Personally, if Punisher returns, they need the #DIRTYLAUNDRY guys.

So awesome. I can't wait.

A. Of COURSE it will part of MCU

B. I guess the theories people had that Skye from SHIELD might actually BE Jessica Jones, or that the dude from the pilot might be Luke Cage are now busted. Of course then again, I guess they still could be.

yami4ct

Would they? I can't say I'm completely familiar with their standards.

For sure. Netflix's stated goal right now is to become HBO before HBO becomes them. That high budget, adult focused programming is their main target right now. As for the violence, as bad a series it was, Eli Roth's thing with them Hemlock Grove was pretty violent from what I've heard.

J10

Banned
So awesome. I can't wait.

A. Of COURSE it will part of MCU

B. I guess the theories people had that Skye from SHIELD might actually BE Jessica Jones, or that the dude from the pilot might be Luke Cage are now busted. Of course then again, I guess they still could be.

We think Skye is Jessica Drew, not Jessica Jones.

anaron

Holy ffffuuuuuck

the typhoid mary mention in agents of shield seemed like a nod to things to come. I love that it was totally was

Clevinger

I was really excited at first, then I remembered Agents of Shield. Mainly how cheap it looks. And the fight scenes.

That shit won't fly in a Daredevil series.

I've been hearing about Jessica Jones or Luke Cage shows forever, and now we're getting BOTH. Plus Daredevil and Danny fucking Rand?!?

Which one of you summoned the Dragon?

Hope you guys like martial arts.

The history of martial arts in TV shows is not really all that good ... Green Hornet, Vanishing Son? So I hope they can step it up and create really top tier action scenes. Casting will be interesting since they need to be able to act but their only super powers are just martial arts training for the most part ... so that has to be a top consideration too.

Hopefully this isn't some Hercules/Xena level action choreography.

Another upcoming Netflix show, Sense8, is said that it will feature "amazing stunts that no one’s done before" [on TV?]. Hopefully Netflix can pull it off in both cases.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Excellent, sounds like they are going to make up for the meh SHIELD show

The latest episode was actually pretty decent. I think Agents of SHIELD may be one of those shows that require some time till their find their own way. Also, it's obviously very comic-booky, as in having a lot of cheese and slapstick moments, whereas Netflix got some rather gritty heroes (JJ's backstory in particular is kind of messed up).

Subitai

Watch DC counter with a HBO/CW anouncement.

S.H.I.E.L.D has been a disappoinment for a lot of people while Arrow has gone to another level in its 2nd season for them. That said the ratings are telling Marvel that things are going well, so lets double down.

In any case, I'm on board.
Daredevil on TV has worked so well in the past

q42PAnG.jpg

Hey, that guy was way better than Ben.
To my 10yr old self when I 1st saw it. I need to rewatch to know.

This is great news! I am really looking forward to seeing these. Additionally, if it weren't for Netflix getting the first season of Arrow I never would have watched it. My wife and I watched the first episode and then promptly marathoned the rest of them. Now we watch it every week. More superhero stuff is always welcome!

So am I the only one who thinks Shirld is ok or is the Internet just being the Internet?

Compared to Arrow and Whedon shows pre-Dollhouse (which is slightly unfair since Joss isn't that involved on it), SHIELD is incredibly mediocre. Even CBS shows like Person of Interest and Elementary destroy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom