• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Iron Fist cancelled after two seasons on Netflix

Akuza89

Marvel’s Iron Fist has been cancelled after two seasons on Netflix.

The series, which starred Finn Jones in the title role, was a pillar of Marvel’s Netflix output alongside shows Daredevil, Jessica Jones, The Punisher and Luke Cage.

In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel and Netflix said: ‘Marvel’s Iron Fist will not return for a third season on Netflix.

‘Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is proud of the series and grateful for all of the hard work from our incredible cast, crew and showrunners. We’re thankful to fans who have watched these two seasons and for the partnership we’ve shared on this series.

‘While the series on Netflix has ended, the immortal Iron Fist will live on.’

It’s unclear whether Iron Fist could be revived for Disney’s own streaming service, which is expected to arrive in 2019.

The first season of Iron Fist released in March 2017 was mauled by the critics, with many seeing it as the first major misstep in Netflix’s Marvel shows.

A second season was released earlier this year, and while it was received more warmly, it perhaps didn’t quite catch enough fire to warrant more investment.

The future of crossover series The Defenders is also in doubt, with Daredevil’s Charlie Cox recently admitting to Metro.co.uk how the first season was ‘too slow’.

If you’re looking for a silver lining, the excellent third season of Daredevil is set to arrive on Netflix 19 October.

Source

While it's a shame the show has ended, it wasn't the Netflix marvel studios top priority show wise... it was probably dead last.

The first season was boring and slow, second starts off alright but is again boring.

Where daredevil, Jessica Jones and heck even Luke cage is really well done across their seasons.

Also if anyone thinks they plans on him coming back for defenders, it's unlikely as the writers for defenders said they want to keep changing the roster...

Last edited:
Well it doesn't make sense for Netlix to invest in any series that involves Disney stuff unless it can bring big ROI in limited time left they have. So anything under performing is likely to get cut while Netflix moves on stuff they can keep long term.

For a show involving a martial arts hero the fight choreography pales in comparison to Daredevil. Not acceptable.

I won't watch S2.

Kadayi

Banned
season 2 was a huge improvement. shame.

Agreed. I'm surprised they've dropped it given 2 was a marked improvement over season 1.

Also, Disney can suck my balls if they ever think I'm subbing to their service as well on top of Netflix and Amazon

Last edited:
I struggled to make it through more than a couple episodes of Iron Fist. Finn Jones is a pretty poor actor and was the worst part of Defenders.

kunonabi

After the bullshit they pulled in Season 2 I wasnt going to watch the third season anyway. It sucks to lose Ward but hopefully Typhoid Mary can show up in DD down the line.

Kadayi

Banned
After the bullshit they pulled in Season 2 I wasn't going to watch the third season anyway. It sucks to lose Ward but hopefully, Typhoid Mary can show up in DD down the line.

I was hoping Mary might turn up in the next season of the Punisher or something. She was a good character.

I actually liked s1 more than s2. I thought the ending to s2 was real cringe and a lot of stuff made no sense from a character standpoint. Though Typhoid Mary was pretty good.

Overall, I actually liked Iron Fist more than Luke Cage or Jones. Cage had one great villian and then nothing after that.

kunonabi

After seeing Danny Rand in the Defenders I started to think people who hate white men might have a point.

Rand's biggest problem, aside from Finn not being a martial artist is they write him like crap most of the time and Defenders was probably the worst of the worst. Of course, everything about Defenders was trash so it's not like he had much of a chance there to begin with.

Ka-Kui

Season 1 was so bad I gave up after 5 or so episodes.

First of all it was poorly paced, poorly written and poorly directed.

Secondly I love watching Hong Kong action and kung fu cinema (look at my avatar) and what was on display in Iron Fist was garbage. I mean embarrasingly bad. The cast didn't even know how to move their bodies properly, looked as though the first time they practiced any martial arts was on the day of shooting.

I heard Iron Fist was pretty lame but I can´t imagine it being any more mundane than Luke Cage. I fell asleep 25 minutes into the first episode and I was watching it at like 7pm.

Kadayi

Banned
Rand's biggest problem, aside from Finn not being a martial artist is they write him like crap most of the time and Defenders was probably the worst of the worst. Of course, everything about Defenders was trash so it's not like he had much of a chance there to begin with.

Agreed. I think it's a little short-sighted to blame the actor, after all, they can only work with the script they are given, and if you've ever watched any documentaries about how shows and films are made, it's important to understand that these things are rarely shot in sequence, versus by location. So actors are extremely beholden to good direction as well. With all that said I'm not seeing Finn Jones winning an Emmy or an Oscar anytime soon, but I don't think he secured a lead role based on being a minor character in GOT. Clearly, casting saw something in him, even if that didn't necessarily translate that well to screen. Iron Fist season 1 was definitely a wash and Danny Rand was a pretty annoying and whiny character and I think Marvel TV studios knew that from the feedback, so it kind of surprised me that they didn't really attempt to course correct his attitude in the Defenders, though I guess they wanted to try and play the defeat of The Hand as a turning point so that in Season 2 of Iron Fist he's a much more settled and likeable character (as hinted at by his brief appearance in Luke Cage Season 2). On paper, it might have seemed like a smart play, but I guess from a viewer perspective, Danny still being a whiny douche in the Defenders didn't do him any favours in terms of Season 2 Iron Fist uptick, which tbh is a pity because aside from the weird cringy post-credits scene I thought it was a big step up compared to season 2.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It’s one of the worst shows I’ve ever watched 2 seasons of so I’m not surprised. That ending where he’s suddenly a magical gun cowboy was so absurd and so out of nowhere that I laughed my ass off. It was almost worth watching the season just for that.

I know it’s probably a comic thing that doesn’t surprise comic fans but for me it was a shock.

Makariel

I've watched the first season, and I saw the Defenders. After that I had absolutely no inclination of giving the second season a go. Danny came across as entitled, naive and whiny douche, while messing everything up with his unique flavor of logic.

Kadayi

Banned
I've watched the first season, and I saw the Defenders. After that I had absolutely no inclination of giving the second season a go. Danny came across as entitled, naive and whiny douche, while messing everything up with his unique flavor of logic.

Even though it's been cancelled I think Iron Fist Season 2 is worth watching because they do redeem the character and there are some events that happen will undoubtedly play into Luke Cage Season 3. As Grinchy says, the post-credits scene is terribad though.

Last edited:

Akuza89

Even though it's been cancelled I think Iron Fist Season 2 is worth watching because they do redeem the character and there are some events that happen will undoubtedly play into Luke Cage Season 3. As Grinchy says, the post-credits scene is terribad though.

It wouldn't surprise me if iron fist turned up in luke cage and they ran a season of "heroes for hire" the great team up comic series of both of them.

51Qw8CrLvEL.jpg

While I doubt it'll happen since anything new is going to head to the Disney streaming service like the loki and Scarlett witch t.v. shows....but a fan can wish... even if iron fist wasn't written in the best way...

kunonabi

Except they dont redeem Danny in season 2 they just shove him into the background and make Colleen the whole focus of the show while turning Danny into a bigger loser than he already was.

Grinchy

Banned
One fun way to watch the show is to make a drinking game out of it. Every time you spot them re-using a set or Danny saying Kunlun, take a drink. Make sure to have a ride ready to take you to the hospital.

It's just such a cheap show that they have to make do with what they've got. In season 1, they apprehend Madame Gao and you'd think they would take her to a secure, remote location. Nah, they take her to the same dojo that the Hand attacked days before lmao. Everything has to take place there or in an "abandoned" warehouse (how many of these could there be in the heart of NYC).

They even re-use the barber shop from Luke Cage season 1 and it's so obvious looking. It's just fun noticing how cheap they are with these shows.

highrider

Banned
Finn Jones made a great Danny Rand

I would contend that he didn’t. He lacked the physical presence, he looked like a guy you’d see working at Whole Foods in produce. I actually thought the show was decent, but he was a mediocre actor with mediocre physical abilities. Not entirely his fault, they wrote his character in an annoying way as well.

oagboghi2

This wouldn't bother me if they didn't end the 2nd season in such a horrible way.

Finn would probably be best as a side character in Luke Cage

Makariel

One fun way to watch the show is to make a drinking game out of it. Every time you spot them re-using a set or Danny saying Kunlun, take a drink. Make sure to have a ride ready to take you to the hospital.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: I would probably not survive the first episode.

Ar¢tos

I'm not surprised... With the direction they were going a 3rd season would have 8 different people with "iron fists". To me season 2 was as "meh" as season 1.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not surprised, the whole Netflix Marvel series is mediocre.
They don't even feel part of the same universe as the MCU.
S.H.I.E.L.D is so far and beyond better it's not even funny
Give me a Ghost Rider spin off.

Last edited:

Akuza89

If they did a ghost rider in the MCU as a series... it would have to be the ghost DRIVER from shield... *shudder*

hate that ghost rider...

shield was good at the beginning, but it got boring as hell, then they put Robbie reyes in there... and well that just killed the show for me!

Valonquar

Definitely not looking forward to the next season of S.H.I.E.L.D with no Phil Coulson, and annoying holier than thou Mack in charge....
S1 of Iron Fist was sorta of slow. They should have just called it THE MEACHUMS. EVERYTHING in Defenders was terrible. S2 was okay, but not great, and the ending scene with them in Asia was sorta WTF. Overall the writing left Dany Rand sort of a directionless, selfish prick, so he wasn't exactly likable even when he was trying to be just.

Not surprised. It's hard to maintain interest when your lead is so terrible. They wrote the character as completely unlikable, foolhardy and weak in both S1 and Defenders. I had zero interest in continuing to watch a show about that guy.

oagboghi2

SHIELD doesn't come close to Daredevil or Punisher. Hell I struggle to put it above Jessica Jones

TGO

SHIELD doesn't come close to Daredevil or Punisher. Hell I struggle to put it above Jessica Jones
As I said the Netflix ones are like cheap b grade drama MCU.
SHIELD did struggle to find its ground in the first season while juggling the events in the MCU, but since then it's delivered every season and is why it's the highest rated Marvel TV show and Marvels Flagship show.

TGO

Last edited:

BibiMaghoo

That is a shame, I enjoyed both seasons, though it was the weakest of the Netflix Marvel shows. Finn was a problem for the character but I think that was mostly mitigated in season 2, which I pretty much binged in two days. I hope the other shows are safe.

Gander

Banned
No surprise, Iron Fist was absolutely a hot mess by the end. Although I still think I enjoyed it more than Jessica Jones. Luke Cage season 2 was the best. Being honest most of these characters don't really work on their own. It's the fact they are what they are in the Marvel Universe that draws interest.

Fbh

Never saw either season but he was terrible in the defenders so I'm not surprised.

Marvel/Netflix should really make less of these shows and increase the budget. Daredevil 1 had some pretty cool looking fights but everything afterwards went to shit.
I only saw some clips from Iron Fist season 1 but the fights looked like they came from some student project with amateur actors, and the action in Jessica Jones is even worse (some of the special effects in that look like the were made by someone who saw a 30 minutes long after effects tutorial)

dbztrk

Agree. The best season of S.H.I.E.L.D was season 4 with Ghost Rider and Madam Hydra. The writers got everything right by doing multiple story arcs and having the final arc tie back into the first two. Season 5 sucked though and I don't know how the writers got it so wrong after the greatness of season 4.

For a show involving a martial arts hero the fight choreography pales in comparison to Daredevil. Not acceptable.

I won't watch S2.

I kind of agree to this. Season 1 was so hard to watch that I'd rather watch JJ2 or The Defenders again and again. At least The Defenders had laughing moments. I hope they make The Defenders season 2 so we could at least see Danny and Colleen again. Sidebar, did anyone noticed in The Defenders that Elektra still has a psychopathic behavior even after she was brought back to life?

Shai-Tan

Banned
If the fight choreography was good I would have thought season 1 was ok because I did enjoy the Meachum story line. Even then there were so many awkward scenes that would be cringe even in bad 80s action movies. I started season 2 but the story early on seemed like a slightly better acted CW soap opera. My brother who saw the entire s2 told me it's "so 2018". Not sure exactly what he meant by that but I wasn't too enthusiastic about continuing anyway.

I won't watch S2.

yeah - it's sad how a show about a kung fu fighter can't get the kung fu right. Some of the Daredevil fight choreography was just as good as better martial arts movies (in the early seasons anyway).

This was prolly the worst show Netflix has produced so far... how can you cast an actor that can't even lift his leg properly to play a Kung Fu legend? This bothered me right from the start.

I hope they give The Expanse guys some of that Iron Fist money.

finowns

The show was crappy except a few bright spots. They could have done something really cool but the vision for the show was bad.

Ka-Kui

I'm not going to blame the cast for how poor Iron Fist is. The lack of money poured into this in comparison to Daredevil is easy to see.

If the higher ups have no passion for this project then the show was almost doomed to fail right from the start.

My guess is they just wanted Iron Fist pumped out so they can get to The Defenders really quick.

manfestival

I didnt even bother prioritizing season 2 cause season 1 was so trash. I do plan on eventually watching it but I really doubt they could do much worse.

LOLCats

Banned
People kept saying season2 was better than the first. I found it not to be and couldnt make it through.

Top Bottom