• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

The latest episode was actually pretty decent. I think Agents of SHIELD may be one of those shows that require some time till their find their own way. Also, it's obviously very comic-booky, as in having a lot of cheese and slapstick moments, whereas Netflix got some rather gritty heroes (JJ's backstory in particular is kind of messed up).
Purpleman_alias.jpg

Luke Cage/Jessica Jones anal sex confirmed?

Baby Dani was born after that, so 2 in the pink one in the stink?

Effect

It's $8.

Just pay for 1 month and watch everything. I do that whenever a show comes out i really want to watch.

House of Cards and Orange is the New Black? Totally worth paying $8 to watch.

That is a plan. Don't know why I didn't consider that. Thanks.

Watching the first season of Arrow said to me a Daredevil TV show with a similar tone and approach could work pretty well. The not-as-restricted standards of Netflix versus putting it on ABC or something could hopefully make it work.

I'm pretty sure I called this way back when Daredevil's rights reverted.

I'm kinda shocked it's actually happening.

I really hope Punisher is a recurring character on ALL these shows.

numble

It's $8.

Just pay for 1 month and watch everything. I do that whenever a show comes out i really want to watch.

House of Cards and Orange is the New Black? Totally worth paying $8 to watch.
This will be split between like 5 different months (1 month each for each series plus the miniseries) and a House of Cards and Orange is the New Black would come out on other months.

You could theoretically wait until they all come out though.

Blader

I'm pretty sure I called this way back when Daredevil's rights reverted.

I'm kinda shocked it's actually happening.

I really hope Punisher is a recurring character on ALL these shows.

damn, what if Punisher is actually the villain in The Defenders mini? :O

though Kingpin probably makes more sense.

also, seems like I should watch Arrow. Initially passed it off as more CW pretty boy garbage, and Smallville got pretty bad after the novelty of its first years wore off, but all these impressions are making me reconsider.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This will be split between like 5 different months (1 month each for each series plus the miniseries) and a House of Cards and Orange is the New Black would come out on other months.

You could theoretically wait until they all come out though.

I sense some binge watching in my future...

I was thinking that this would be a multi-year kind of deal, but given the unusual timing of Netflix's releases they could easily work the plot of each show so they cross the streams.

Man. Man, oh, man. I'm going to nerd the fuck out.

also, seems like I should watch Arrow. Initially passed it off as more CW pretty boy garbage, and Smallville got pretty bad after the novelty of its first years wore off, but all these impressions are making me reconsider.
Word of advice: the first half of S1 (pretty much until the island mythos get set in stone) is kind of uneven and sometimes barely above a better produced version of Smallville. The show enters in beast mode by the time Slade steps in.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
DC/WB does have the better TV show on right now by far.

Yeah.

One show. Meanwhile Marvel is going to have five, assuming something catastrophic doesn't happen to SHIELD.

It's like the movies. DC can only have once successful movie franchise going at a time, Marvel is juggling multiples.

Wiktor

I guess after years of getting spanked by DC in TV Marvel finally decided to step up their game.

Now Punisher cable series pretty please.

Raguel

Oh man, just imagine the possibility of Avengers 3. Everyone against Thanos. Even if its just a small cameo that shows the street level helping out in NY, it would still be so orgasmic. If only Marvel has the rights for FF and Spidey. =(

hamchan

Holy crap. Well this decreased any hype for future episodes of Agents of SHIELD, since these type of characters were the heroes I expected to turn up in that show.

On the other hand I am super hyped for these shows and actually really really happy each hero is getting their own series instead of just random appearances in a not-currently-good Agents of SHIELD.

Slayven

Which means nothing since Spidey can't get folded into the MCU.

Yeah pretty much. Disney getting the rights back is why Spectacular was canceled. Disney would have had to keep paying Sony to make it. Instead of owning ti free and clear like they do with Ultimate

Wiktor

Yeah.

One show. Meanwhile Marvel is going to have five, assuming something catastrophic doesn't happen to SHIELD.

It's like the movies. DC can only have once successful movie franchise going at a time, Marvel is juggling multiples.

DC has multiple shows in development. Gotham, Constantine, Flash... and some others though. And those will be regular series. Netflix ones will be all one shots.

anaron

I wonder, with these shows being in the MCU and Marvel liking to keep spoilers and whatnot very protected if they'll be rolled out Netflix style or adhere to a schedule.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Now we just need to wait for Fox to shit the bed and let the Fantastic Four rights slip from their hands.

Holy crap. Well this decreased any hype for future episodes of Agents of SHIELD, since these type of characters were the heroes I expected to turn up in that show.
I'm not going to lie, this is the truth. There are many other heroes out there, but Luke and JJ were a perfect fit for AoS. They better go mental with AIM or Hydra to build up the mythology, because otherwise I can see it turning into a rather yawn worthy affair.

Cartman86

Banned
Shitty choreography can be easily ignored when everything else is so good. See Buffy for an example of that. The Shield pilot had glimpses of that and as the show has gone on you can see the best stuff happens when they get away from being The A-Team.

Slayven

I wonder, with these shows being in the MCU and Marvel liking to keep spoilers and whatnot very protected if they'll be rolled out Netflix style or adhere to a schedule.

Hahaha these shows will have little interaction with Thanos/Tesseract stuff. This is all about Hell's Kitchen. They might be dealing with gangs that have Chitarui weapons but I doubt much else.

FoneBone

I guess I missed the announcement of Daredevil's rights reverting back to Marvel.

Happened last year.

Kinda amazes me that Marvel is still pretending Hell's Kitchen is a crime-ridden ghetto and not a thoroughly gentrified neighborhood full of gays, yuppies, and gay yuppies.

anaron

Hahaha these shows will have little interaction with Thanos/Tesseract stuff. This is all about Hell's Kitchen. They might be dealing with gangs that have Chitarui weapons but I doubt much else.
Oh I know, I mean these are STREET heroes. But I don't think that negates the fact that marvel is still pretty protective about the audience being spoiled and it could affect the way it's distributed. (Not that a schedule is a bad thing)

Though It looks like from what I'm reading that they'll be split up in months though so I guess that covers it. :p

yami4ct

DC has multiple shows in development. Gotham, Constantine, Flash... and some others though. And those will be regular series. Netflix ones will be all one shots.

From the description, I really don't see much difference between what these are and what a "normal" show is other than culminating in a mini-series event. It reads like it's a guaranteed first season. I'm certain if it's successful, they have the option to make more.

Now we just need to wait for Fox to shit the bed and let the Fantastic Four rights slip from their hands.

I get the feeling since FF is so tied in with Marvel cosmic, Fox is holding onto it with both hands. They really want to keep it out of Marvel's hands as long as possible. I don't usually wish for failure, but I really hope FF flops. Marvel could really use a lot of the cosmic stuff that goes with it.

As for Spidey, there's always that constant rumor that Marvel is working with Sony to integrate the Amazing Spiderman series in the MCU. Likely never going to be true, but some hope for those who want Spidey in the MCU.

anaron

Also if Agents of Shield is still around come 2015, we'll very likely see these guys turn up on it first in some capacity so I'm glad it exists for early previewing. :p

hamchan

Just the whole concept and idea to do this is awesome.

Would be great to get the universe split into family Marvel, which are the movies and Agents of SHIELD, and adult Marvel, which is Netflix where hopefully they're allowed to get away with more brutal stuff.

So hyped.

I'm curious about the logistics of this unfolding. Assuming they release each series as they currently do (all 13 episodes at once), how are they going to roll each show out? Like are they going to release Daredevil in August or whatever and then wait a few months and do Jessica Jones, so on and so forth all year culminating in Defenders, and then starting season 2 of Daredevil in the next August? The fact that it's presented as a multi-year thing makes it sound like it's more spread out than that. And if that's the case then are we looking at more than a year in between seasons of each show? Really curious about this.

ReiGun

Yeah.

DC has Arrow now, with Flash, Gotham, Amazon, Constantine, Hourman, and Avenger in development.

With this announcement, TV is the one arena where both companies have their act together.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Happened last year.

Kinda amazes me that Marvel is still pretending Hell's Kitchen is a crime-ridden ghetto and not a thoroughly gentrified neighborhood full of gays, yuppies, and gay yuppies.

I'm more amazed by the fact that two bit criminals are still running free in a hood patrolled by Daredevil, Powerman and Spidey whenever he feels like it. Then, there's the chance of trying to grab Jessica Jone's purse. Not a good idea.

ivysaur12

Banned
As someone who's not a comic book guy, I'd prefer Netflix to keep making producing shows like OITNB or even House of Cards versus this. I just can't really get excited about more series based on comic book characters I don't have any particular allegiance to that are part of a universe I don't really care to explore.

I'm happy for you if you're a comic book fan, but I don't really know if it's worth getting excited about at the moment without even knowing who is attached to write/direct. Not to temper expectations, but...

Has anything like this ever happened before? As in a super-connected film and TV universe spanning multiple characters?

The closest thing I can think of is Star Trek, and even then I don't really think that's the same

yami4ct

I'm curious about the logistics of this unfolding. Assuming they release each series as they currently do (all 13 episodes at once), how are they going to roll each show out? Like are they going to release Daredevil in August or whatever and then wait a few months and do Jessica Jones, so on and so forth all year culminating in Defenders, and then starting season 2 of Daredevil in the next August? The fact that it's presented as a multi-year thing makes it sound like it's more spread out than that. And if that's the case then are we looking at more than a year in between seasons of each show? Really curious about this.

My one hope is that it's spread out enough that all the shows can have some sort of unified oversight. They should have different show runners, but they need someone looking over all 4 just to be sure they stay tonally consistent. They also need to film in the same locations. If they want these shows to be so connected, they need to work to make sure it feels like this. This is even more tricky than putting the Avengers together. This isn't just believing all these characters are in the same universe, but the same neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom