• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or even if you're not a fan of comic books but a fan of TV, hopefully you can still admire the ambition to greenlight four series and a miniseries at once, all sharing the same tied universe.

Why is this a good thing again? I'd greatly prefer four original series than four from the same universe.

Plus after Agents of SHIELD I'm not exactly enthused about more Marvel television.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Michael Jai White as Luke Cage or bust

Michael-Jai-White-and-Luke-Cage.jpg

Dude's already in Arrow and Mortal Kombat Legacy. Plus, he needs to keep his schedule open for the Spawn reboot.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Any red-headed actors who could play Daredevil?
Minority needs representing!

yami4ct

As I posted first page,

[IG]http://mimg.ugo.com/201105/5/0/9/196905/cuts/isaiah-mustafa-luke-cage_288x288.jpg[/IMG]

Isaiah Mustafa

I think he'd work better for Black Panther. For Luke Cage, I think you need someone who's built like a wrestler. Absolutely massive and imposing. Michael Jai White has the perfect build and voice to play him. I'd just be worried that Marvel may consider him "too old" to pin a starring role on. That'd be unfortunate.

Cth

The only thing that makes me hesistant is that Marvel will likely make these all "look/feel" similar to keep a cohesive feel, especially since they're building to the Defenders.

Of course, they are all street level, but I hope said creators can work within those constraints and produce something of quality that stands on its own.

Or to put it in comic terms, I'd rather see four new comic books where artists can give each book their own feel, instead of four new comics being drawn in the same house style.

Holy fuck. What the fuck how the fuck who the fuck you fuck

Fuck!

I have to get Netflix now.

No Punisher though? :(

These shows better be as awesome as Arrow.

hamchan

Why is this a good thing again? I'd greatly prefer four original series than four from the same universe.

Plus after Agents of SHIELD I'm not exactly enthused about more Marvel television.

It's good because it's trying new things with a medium. If it doesn't work out, oh well, there will still be so many new tv shows coming out every year, I don't think there will be much of a problem with new original content.

So if you prefer original over same universe, I guess the CW shouldn't have spun off the Originals and should have funded something not sharing the same universe as The Vampire Diaries? Even though I see you liking the show as much as I do.

anaron

Holy fuck. What the fuck how the fuck who the fuck you fuck

Fuck!

I have to get Netflix now.

No Punisher though? :(

These shows better be as awesome as Arrow.

I think like Bobby Roberts' idea, Punisher would work so much better as a consistent villian presence (and occasional ally) in all four shows.

Anyone know if this takes place within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or it's own self contained universe? I'm assuming it's within the MCU but the press release doesn't make it 100% clear.

Presumably the former, but you're right that there's no confirmation yet.

If these are all MCU projects, it'll be interesting to see how Marvel deals with an increasingly complex continuity down the road. That's not an issue as long as the MCU is still relatively new and its output is modest (two films a year, plus a single TV series set mainly on the fringes of that universe), but the longer it runs and the more their live-action output increases, there's more chance of various projects stepping on each others' toes.

DAMN!

Okay, right now I only have a Netflix DVD account because I'm grandfathered at the cheap $5/month price.

What's the cheapest online subscription I can get to see these. I can't miss my Marvel.

Pau

They've been promising me my Jessica Jones show for quite some time now. I don't believe them anymore. :(

Blader

Presumably the former, but you're right that there's no confirmation yet.

If these are all MCU projects, it'll be interesting to see how Marvel deals with an increasingly complex continuity down the road. That's not an issue as long as the MCU is still relatively new and its output is modest (two films a year, plus a single TV series set mainly on the fringes of that universe), but the longer it runs and the more their live-action output increases, there's more chance of various projects stepping on each others' toes.

I think that's why the pitch here is about doing street-level stories - it deliberately keeps these shows separate from the larger, global and cosmic level stories of the Avengers.

Considering that no one is even attached to write, I'll reserve judgment. Again, this seems like the same genesis as SHIELD: a series created in a board room than an actual, organic pitch and creative endeavor from a writer and director.

I agree completely that SHIELD's problems stem primarily from being an executive-driven vision. But even if you don't care for it yourself, the original MCU planning - sketching out solo Iron Man, Hulk, Cap, and Thor films leading to an Avengers film - was also done in executive board rooms back in 2005-2006.

If it's not to your taste, that's fine, and certainly the actual quality remains to be seen, but... well, this announcement clearly isn't aimed at you, and it's certainly gotten the attention that Marvel and Netflix wanted.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's good because it's trying new things with a medium. If it doesn't work out, oh well, there will still be so many new tv shows coming out every year, I don't think there will be much of a problem with new original content.

So if you prefer original over same universe, I guess the CW shouldn't have spun off the Originals and should have funded something not sharing the same universe as The Vampire Diaries? Even though I see you liking the show as much as I do.

Even though I really don't love the ideas of spin-offs, that's not exactly the best comparison: The Originals was still from Julie Plec, who spear headed The Vampire Diaries and it wasn't a shift in medium -- both were TV projects versus adapting something else.

It's one thing to greenlight one or two adaptions of comic books on the same network. Four? Then it becomes prohibitive towards licensing other potential new series because Netflix doesn't have infinite resources.

I agree completely that SHIELD's problems stem primarily from being an executive-driven vision. But even if you don't care for it yourself, the original MCU planning - sketching out solo Iron Man, Hulk, Cap, and Thor films leading to an Avengers film - was also done in executive board rooms back in 2005-2006.

If it's not to your taste, that's fine, and certainly the actual quality remains to be seen, but... well, this announcement clearly isn't aimed at you, and it's certainly gotten the attention that Marvel and Netflix wanted.

I don't care if it's not aimed at me. I care that it could be prohibitive towards spending money on content I would watch. And of those MCU films, there are very few I actually enjoyed. Those I did enjoy were mostly due to the charisma of the cast.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wow, what a crazy announcment. Multi year deal, 4 connected shows, miniseries that brings them all together.

The only shame is that they did not include Punisher. Hopefully he will appear as villian/sidekick in all new shows.

Michael Jai White as Luke Cage or bust

Michael-Jai-White-and-Luke-Cage.jpg

1000000x this.

Wow, what a crazy announcment. Multi year deal, 4 connected shows, miniseries that brings them all together.

The only shame is that they did not include Punisher. Hopefully he will appear as villian/sidekick in all new shows.

He is never the sidekick.

So, casting suggestions? Anyone? Anyone?

Thomas Jane springs to mind. I'm sure he'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I'm way more concerned with who they're getting to showrun. 4 shows, 13 episodes each, all linked, culminating in probably a 5 episode miniseries?

We need to know who's going to be steering the ship before we start loading it up with actors.

(Thomas Jane isn't going to be Punisher. I don't think Marvel wants to tie any of their new stuff back to their old shit, especially old shit that didn't hit)

I hope it's better than Agents of Shield. I finally checked out both that and Arrow after all the hype and came away disappointed. Maybe it's just network tv that I can't get into anymore but both came across as really corny, badly written/acted and with shit production value. They both also seem to fall under this network tv idea of "let's cast a much of pretty 20 something's with questionable acting ability" that you don't see as much on cable. Hopefully these new shows (especially daredevil ) stay away from that. If it's just more AoS then no thanks.

Absolutely massive news for Netflix. I was wanting a Daredevil TV series rather than a movie when it was announced Marvel got the rights back. I guess the Jessica Jones show is the one that was turned down by ABC a few years ago. HYPED for the Luke Cage and Iron Fist shows, although it's odd they are separate as surely having them both in a Heroes for Hire show makes more sense?

It's possible that after the Defenders mini-series the Cage and Fist shows will merge into a Heroes for Hire show instead, freeing up room for Marvelflix Phase 2 shows (The Punisher, Blade, Ghost RIder)?

DC has Arrow now, with Flash, Gotham, Amazon, Constantine, Hourman, and Avenger in development.

With this announcement, TV is the one arena where both companies have their act together.

With Marvel, we know all their shows are connected, not only to each other, but likely the MCU as well with Agents of SHIELD likely being the glue in the middle.

DC's offering seem like a bunch of random shows, possibly from different time periods with only 2 of them guaranteed to be connected at all, and we're not sure if any of them are connected to the DCmovieverse.

So I would argue that while DC/CW definitely has a better TV show at the moment, and are expanding on the Arrowverse, Marvel definitely appears to have it more together as they actually have a plan and are executing it.
The Avengers build up at the Movies, The Defenders build up on Netflix and Agents of SHIELD on TV. Marvel is going somewhere. None of us are quite sure what DC is doing or where they are headed.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think the closest Frank Castle has ever been to a sidekick was fighting along Nick Fury, and they were pretty much equals.

Also, I'm going to catch some flak for this, but Jai White teeth gap bothers me. Call me superficial, but in my mind Luke Cage always had big pearly ones.

I'm not sure who I'd like to take on these shows. For some reason my brain is putting "Iron Fist" and "Dan Harmon" together, but I'm not sure why.

hamchan

Even though I really don't love the ideas of spin-offs, that's not exactly the best comparison: The Originals was still from Julie Plec, who spear headed The Vampire Diaries and it wasn't a shift in medium -- both were TV projects versus adapting something else.

It's one thing to greenlight one or two adaptions of comic books on the same network. Four? Then it becomes prohibitive towards licensing other potential new series because Netflix doesn't have infinite resources.

I don't care if it's not aimed at me. I care that it could be prohibitive towards spending money on content I would watch. And of those MCU films, there are very few I actually enjoyed. Those I did enjoy were mostly due to the charisma of the cast.

I understand the opportunity cost argument and yeah I admit it will come at the cost of potential non-comic book original tv shows, in the short term at least.

Not really much else to say except it is rather unfortunate for people like you who are adverse to comic books, and pretty damn great for people like me.

While I wait for my Captain America or Deadpool series, I can definitely watch Iron Fist.

I don't know much about Iron Fist but if he's a pro of kung-fu, then I expect lots of good fights. I'm hyped.

Happy that Iron Fist is getting some love.
But wary that it's gonna go the direction of Agent of Shield quality-wise.
(Wasn't really impressed, the show wasn't for me.)

Joni

If all these shows are as 'good' as SHIELD, it is pointless. I'll just keep following The CW approach.

The Deadline rumor had led me to believe that any deal was a ways off from being struck, so I hadn't expected to see any of these shows materialize before 2016. Huh.

Arrow is damn entertaining, but it didn't really come into its own until Slade came into the picture.

Whats interesting to me is if they're going with the day 1 dump of all the episodes still. Having a full length superhero season pumped out without mid-season reactionary rewrites to fan and critical feedback could go either way.

Nesotenso

But the Immortal Iron Fist deserves a movie. You can easily make a high budget movie with effects and make your money back. Not to mention it is an easier sell to China.

If all these shows are as 'good' as SHIELD, it is pointless. I'll just keep following The CW approach.

Well, these shows will actually be about superheroes and are evidently intended to carve out their own corner of the universe rather than leveraging previously established MCU continuity, so that's at least a better position to start from creatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom