• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericexpo

Gotham is going to be about Gordan as in officer in Gotham City before Batman appears. So kinda like a batman-less Gotham Central.

Amazon has been in development since around the time Arrow premiered. They were casting for the pilot before production was halted because reasons. The show is still on the table, but as usual, WB/DC appear scared shitless to do anything with Wonder Woman.

Hourman, if I'm remembering the press release correctly, is about a detective who can see into the future and has an hour to solve the crimes that he sees. So a pretty big retooling of the comic character.

wow my boner for any of these shows has been significantly destroyed, thank you.

Because it is. All the teams in Marvel comics come in multiple configurations. This is a new configuration. Silver Surfer is at Fox, Hulk is already an Avenger, Namor and Dr. Strange are probably too big for TV series' and would get standalone films. They change things. It's an adaptation. We've been through this.

Eh...thanks for the input. My point is doing a Heroes for Hire or Knights series would have been more appropriate. It's like choosing Red Hulk, Black Panther, Spider-Woman, and Dr. Strange for an Avengers series just because they've all been Avengers at some point. Makes no sense.

Also Power Woman and Daredevil have never been part of any Defenders configuration as far as I know.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Could be the new Defenders. A group of crime fighting women who go out into the city and put a premium on protecting women from criminals? I'd watch it

104264vqqww.gif

It's more of Marvel Knights under another name rather than the comic's Defenders.

I could see - assuming they're successful - the Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones shows merging into a Heroes for Hire series as their collective second season.

That's basically what I was thinking (and said earlier) even though I don't know much about the group. I just know that Luke and Fist were part of it and Luke and Jones were a couple. So merging the 3 shows for a collective second season as a team after the mini-series makes sense to me. Also move from a 13+ episode format to a 26 episode format to accommodate for shared screen time, and that would make room for a TV Phase 2 to introduce more shows from the MCU, such as Blade, Ghost Rider or whoever they have planned to introduce (Moon Knight?).

It's interesting there's not a single mention that these shows will be tied in with the MCU in the article when all of AoS' press releases constantly mentioned that it was tied in with the MCU. Is Marvel going to suddenly put their shows in separate universes like DC has? That wouldn't make much sense. Hopefully they just forgot to mention it.

Anyway, this is going to be absolutely fucking great. Charlie Hunnam for Danny, Terry Crews for Luke...I'm not sure who'd play Daredevil actually. But I think Daredevil has the most potential of all of them, especially if they get a dynamic where She Hulk is Matt's opponent in court frequently but friendly to him during nightly crimefights. And they could tie in a Kingpin overarching plot to both the superhero and lawyer portions of the show fairly easily. There's so much potential. Can't wait for 2015!

I'm surprised Luke Cage and the Iron Fist aren't going to be together in one show. I would assume Marvel would try some sort of buddy cop drama for them. Still, I'm excited for this.

How in the fuck are street Marvel series leading up to a Defenders series? Are they just going to run across Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer, Hulk, and Namor along the way?

I know this has been partially addressed, but Dr. Strange has a movie planned for Phase3 (2016?), Silver Surfer will hopefully be back at Marvel soon, Hulk is already an Avenger with another movie likely planned for Phase 3, and Namor... haven't heard anything about Namor.

anaron

It's interesting there's not a single mention that these shows will be tied in with the MCU in the article when all of AoS' press releases constantly mentioned that it was tied in with the MCU. Is Marvel going to suddenly put their shows in separate universes like DC has? That wouldn't make much sense. Hopefully they just forgot to mention it.

Anyway, this is going to be absolutely fucking great. Charlie Hunnam for Danny, Terry Crews for Luke...I'm not sure who'd play Daredevil actually. But I think Daredevil has the most potential of all of them, especially if they get a dynamic where She Hulk is Matt's opponent in court frequently but friendly to him during nightly crimefights. And they could tie in a Kingpin overarching plot to both the superhero and lawyer portions of the show fairly easily. There's so much potential. Can't wait for 2015!
Well these announced shows are definitely going to take place in a unified universe and more than likely remain in the MCU. They just won't adhere to a strict timeline or tie-in on the level that AoS technically has to.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm surprised Luke Cage and the Iron Fist aren't going to be together in one show. I would assume Marvel would try some sort of buddy cop drama for them. Still, I'm excited for this.

I'd be utterly surprised if both characters didn't cross shows. Luke and Daniel are bros after all.

Also, can we get The RZA to make Iron Fist's OST? Pretty please?

Vinci

Danish
Why does everyone seem to hate Agents of Shield here? I've haven't watched it, but my mom seems to like it.

Expectations of one thing, got something else. For the most part. It's definitely a flawed show and some of the cast could easily be lost without anyone caring, but it's sort of cheesy fun that I think some folks can appreciate.

Mudcrab

I can't believe they've not given the go ahead for a Punisher TV series yet, that's influenced by The Shield.

Obviously, Marvel is waiting for HBO to bite on a Punisher MAX TV series based on the Ennis run.

Fools that doubt the worthiness of the Punisher need to read said Garth Ennis run.

Obviously, Marvel is waiting for HBO to bite on a Punisher MAX TV series based on the Ennis run.

Fools that doubt the worthiness of the Punisher need to read said Garth Ennis run.

They don't need HBO to bite on it. Netflix has no real content restrictions at all.

The reason I've been arguing for Punisher to be a sort of floating anti-hero among all the shows is that I'm not sure Frank really works as the star of his own series. He almost doesn't work as the star of his own movies. But having him be this force of nature that has all these other characters knocked back on their heels, compromising themselves... that's way more intriguing, and you don't end up watering down Frank.

Vibranium

Banned
Can't fucking wait for this, hopefully Punisher makes its way on TV eventually too.

Daredevil, and my men Iron Fist and Luke Cage (best bromance ever). No reason to watch SHIELD, sorry people who are actually starting to like that show.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Can't fucking wait for this, hopefully Punisher makes its way on TV eventually too.

Daredevil, and my men Iron Fist and Luke Cage (best bromance ever). No reason to watch SHIELD, sorry people who are actually starting to like that show.

Well, there is this +2 year wait...

Jarmel

Banned
My thoughts on this are this: I can't be excited until I know who is working on all of these shows. SHIELD is such Riley shit that it has killed most of my enthusiasm for these types of shows.

Mudcrab

They don't need HBO to bite on it. Netflix has no real content restrictions at all.

The reason I've been arguing for Punisher to be a sort of floating anti-hero among all the shows is that I'm not sure Frank really works as the star of his own series. He almost doesn't work as the star of his own movies. But having him be this force of nature that has all these other characters knocked back on their heels, compromising themselves... that's way more intriguing, and you don't end up watering down Frank.

Mostly jokes on the HBO front, its been a fan fantasy for a while now. I think both approaches could be very well done depending on competent scripting and acting. Personally I hope for more of a solo series but wouldn't mind the alternative too much.

RangerX

Banned
I've been reading marvel comics since I was five years old and they really are just knocking out of the park with their film adaptions and now we get this. Thank you marvel. Thank you. I really hope they make daredevil as gritty and bleak as possible. His hells kitchen is a gloriously oppressive place.

Vibranium

Banned
Wow, they're stretching calling these guys "four of Marvel's most popular characters." This is like d-tier superheroes.

Daredevil is B-List for sure dude, he's pretty popular.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist also have followings, and the latter had a short-lived solo comic book series that was amazing.

So basically the premium cable Daredevil series myself and many others have been clamoring for for years... only better?

I'll buy it at a high price
of 8 dollars a month.

Blader

Because it is. All the teams in Marvel comics come in multiple configurations. This is a new configuration. Silver Surfer is at Fox, Hulk is already an Avenger, Namor and Dr. Strange are probably too big for TV series' and would get standalone films. They change things. It's an adaptation. We've been through this.

Namor is at Universal too, so Marvel couldn't do it if they wanted to.

J10

Banned
I'm pretty certain that Marvel got the rights back some time ago, and that they've reacquired everything save X-Men, FF, and Spider-Man.

Yeah, they did get Namor back. Marvel can use him, he just can't be a mutant. Maybe they could rework his origin to make him an Inhuman or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom