• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Im surprised I was able to play a match of BF4 with no lag- and pretty full server 30 on 27 before bed last night.

gonna be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG day at work :/

MilkBeard

Woohoo, got my PS4 from Best Buy at 12 am, got home, set the baby up and played a few hours of Killzone.

I really like it so far. The system is beautiful, is heavier than I thought and it doesn't feel cheap. Updated to 1.5 through USB, all is well. I'm digging it. The games download automatically when you put the disc in, no need to select anything, which is nice.

Killzone is good so far. I completed the first rescue mission in the forest. Great graphics. I'm digging the game so far, has a good balance of tactical choice and run 'n gun. Seriously, I'm so glad that we are in the new gen. No more shitty ass framerates with high detail. Well, we will probably get some of that, but Killzone is a glimpse into what we are going to be experiencing. Great detail with relatively smooth framerates. I can't wait to see what games will be out in a couple of years.

About to start Ass Creed 4.

DoctorZ

Well I think the idea is that you'd have all friends using their real names lol

I doubt I'll want to do that, I know only two people on my friend's list personally. I've come to know people on my friends list as their username. That is there name to me as I've always known them as that.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I'm jealous of all of you with good download speeds. The 1.5 update download was lightning fast, but since then, it's been PS3 levels of slow for me.

Warframe has been downloading for almost 2 hours and only 1.5 gigs has downloaded.

Could be a serverload

On the ps3 the updates and theStore Downloads were on different servers, could be the same here

gembel

can anyone share screenshots of the remote play session of any games?? i wanna see how it looks like on the vita screen

Tratorn

Glad to hear that the most people have good first impressions (some people will always have problems of course, but the majority seems to really enjoy the machine). :)

Of course these are really early impressions, but I'm even more hyped for the EU-release now.

So I'm sitting at a Kmart and there are only three people ahead of me. One of them works at this Kmart and he says they have nine systems. So I should be good. Sitting in my car with the heat on but if a couple more people come, I'll go sit in line.

My PS4 is coming from Amazon. I'm sitting here since 5:30am to buy one for my brother who works third shift. Because that's what big brothers are for.

At least I can go home at 8am and play this one all day, and he can have the Amazon one that probably won't come until this evening.

If you're looking for a system, check Kmart.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If I update my HDD, do I need to have a FW update on a USB stick or will the drive go into stock OS mode?

I don't have a USB storage device right now.

SRTtoZ

Yeah but after that initial time, all you have to do is plug in the headphones and it will go straight through the headphones. It's flawless. :)

Yea I noticed. KZ was a little lower than I liked but I went into the KZ options and changed the settings to "small speakers" and it got a bit louder. Lastly, the actual speakers on the controller is pretty loud. I started playing Resogun and it scared the shit out of me.

MilkBeard

Glad to hear that the most people have good first impressions (some people will always have problems of course, but the majority seems to really enjoy the machine). :)

Of course these are really early impressions, but I'm even more hyped for the EU-release now.

Yeah I'm really enjoying it so far. Haven't been able to check out PSN yet because I don't have internet in my apartment. But so far it helps that the OS menu is much simpler than PS3. It's simple, to the point and feels pretty good. I can see the game listings becoming a problem over time but I'm sure if people mention it enough Sony will add more options for listing your game library.

Killzone is an absolute beauty, at least as far as launch games are concerned. It's got a few places here and there where you can tell that they had to rush the game and weren't able to polish it fully, but overall it's been a great game to play so far. The outside areas are stunning to play in.

As of now I'm really happy that the new gen is here.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Don't feel like going to sleep at all, but damn my eyes are beyond fucked at this point. Played Resogun for about 90 minutes, played the first mission of BF4(IMMEDIATELY noticed the 60 frames...so good man), and one match of CoD Ghosts. Not a bad night of gaming at all.

Very satisfied with the interface. Seems a little bare bones, but I like that. Cut the shit and get to the point. And hurray for fast trophy syncs. I'm liking this generation already. Can't wait to spend all day tomorrow playing Battlefield and Knack(yes, knack.)

Gonna have to return the Turtle Beach headset. My TV only has one audio out slot and the audio kept cutting off (especially if I wasn't moving the left thumb stick)

Toki767

So people were saying the update was 308MB but the PS4 actually says the update is 323MB. I wonder if they put a different version up?

MilkBeard

So, I hate to ask, but early last night 2-3 people mentioned broken consoles. It seems like those are gone now. Not widespread?

No issues here :)

There is one small thing that might snag some people for a minute during the first setup. It seems like when you turn it on the first time, sometimes the system and the tv don't communicate, so you have to restart it to get the proper handshake. That happened to me. But once I reset the system it went right in to safe mode to set up the console.

From then on it was all gravy.

1402084_10152053708017640_578468918_o.jpg

Night peeps, gotta rest up for a looooong weekend gaming!

SRTtoZ

Ok so I set my profile to only show my PSN ID but when I go to my activity feed it shows my name next to everything. Is that only on my system or does everyone see that? Can someone check to see if it shows their name?

Toki767

Ok so I set my profile to only show my PSN ID but when I go to my activity feed it shows my name next to everything. Is that only on my system or does everyone see that? Can someone check to see if it shows their name?

It's only on your system and anyone who you give real name access to.

Strider

It's only your system. Other will see your PSN ID

Edit: Beaten

Samus4145

As promised, the spines of three games; in order Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV and Killzone Shadow Fall.

It looks like ACIV and Killzone match in size, with Battlefield 4 WAY shorter, but the ACIV color is different than the other two. It's as if someone forgot not to print using RGB.

Garland7G

So I got my PS4 at a Gamestop midnight launch and after messing with trying to sign in to psn for about 20-30 min, I was good to go. Once I was able to sign in and make it my primary account its been smooth sailing. Loving the system so far, UI is nice and quick, downloads seem about normal to me, about the same as on my 360.
Killzone it beautiful. First game I played, graphics are amazing. About to try out some cod mp, hope the online is stable ;)
Only complaint..all the install/update etc for each game. Takes too long, Waiting for cod to d/l a 700+ patch atm is not fun. welp, its done, ;)

Strider

Reading through the thread it seems there's a problem here or there but overall everyone is really happy with the console. Can't wait to get mine later on today

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Don't feel like going to sleep at all, but damn my eyes are beyond fucked at this point. Played Resogun for about 90 minutes, played the first mission of BF4(IMMEDIATELY noticed the 60 frames...so good man), and one match of CoD Ghosts. Not a bad night of gaming at all.

Very satisfied with the interface. Seems a little bare bones, but I like that. Cut the shit and get to the point. And hurray for fast trophy syncs. I'm liking this generation already. Can't wait to spend all day tomorrow playing Battlefield and Knack(yes, knack.)

Fuck I hear ya man lol, almost 4am here! How did cod look/feel during that match? I have it but haven't fired it up yet. Will do tomorrow!

Ridill

Man so excited. Obviously, its nerve wracking when connecting the PS4 to see if there's any issues. But none for me! Well actually, initially the OS was a bit wonky because of the PSN issues, but it seems to have cleared itself up at this time.

I do have a quick question, how will I know when the game is done installing? Well, I mean 100% installed...I'm sure the initial install is just enough to get you to play the game...but is there any indicator? I did notice a spinning circle when I suspended the game, but is that the installation indicator? Or is it just saying the app is currently open?

Thanks for the help guys, and have fun with your gaming:D

Zep

Banned
Was talking to Riggs while playing 2K14(Party chat ftw) and when I cursed after turning the ball over, the ref T'd me up lol..

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Was talking to Riggs while playing 2K14(Party chat ftw) and when I cursed after turning the ball over, the ref T'd me up lol..
RIGGS! TELL THAT MOFO I MISS HIM AND I'M ASKING HIM WHY HE'S IGNORING ME!

I've got 3 issues so far.

First is that it seems like the fan on my PS4 goes full power super often and it's pretty loud not sure if that's even an issue but I don't know what other systems are like.

Second issue is when I run warframe it goes to update screen and freezes. Only way out is to hold down the power button and get it to shut down.

Third issue if I use optical audio and dolby digital or DTS the sound is fine for a while but then it just becomes really staticky and stuttery.

SRTtoZ

Man so excited. Obviously, its nerve wracking when connecting the PS4 to see if there's any issues. But none for me! Well actually, initially the OS was a bit wonky because of the PSN issues, but it seems to have cleared itself up at this time.

I do have a quick question, how will I know when the game is done installing? Well, I mean 100% installed...I'm sure the initial install is just enough to get you to play the game...but is there any indicator? I did notice a spinning circle when I suspended the game, but is that the installation indicator? Or is it just saying the app is currently open?

Press up and go to notifications. Some games also tell you a % while in game like NBA2k14.

meanspartan

It told me with a pop down notification.

kick51

Banned
As promised, the spines of three games; in order Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV and Killzone Shadow Fall.

It looks like ACIV and Killzone match in size, with Battlefield 4 WAY shorter, but the ACIV color is different than the other two. It's as if someone forgot not to print using RGB.

may as well return the PS4 at that point

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Got a few questions about using a PSN ID tied to a different region than your own.
Example: US PSN ID in Europe.

Do we know how/if that affects where from you end up downloading/streaming game/video content from that's available on PSN? Is PSN smart enough to check for closest available source or are you by virtue of having an US ID tied to American servers? How did it behave on PS3?

Toki767

Anyone having issues with the controller light reflecting on there screens? Much ado about nothing?

It's a very dull light. Not very bright at all.

Got a few questions about using a PSN ID tied to a different region than your own.
Example: US PSN ID in Europe.

Do we know how/if that affects where from you end up downloading/streaming game/video content from that's available on PSN? Is PSN smart enough to check for closest available source or are you by virtue of having an US ID tied to American servers? How did it behave on PS3?

Impossible to tell since the EU store isn't up.

meanspartan

God this thing is so gloriously fast and smooth!

And Resogun is amazing, I can tell that is going to be the game I play when I need to zone out for a while.

At the midnight launch today I was telling anyone who would listen to not use the Ps4's included HDMI if possible, as some apparently are suspect and could be the reason behind some of the problems. So hopefully I saved the lives of a few new consoles.

Top Bottom